Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Noguchi

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Noguchi » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:03 pm

Last edited by Noguchi on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UFLS2013

Postby UFLS2013 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:38 pm

W&L vs. UNC?

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:43 pm

As of today, I have been complete at W&L for 1/3 of a year. 167/3.09

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:46 pm

Am I the ONLY person on this site whose status changed to a second complete date of 2/28? I'm assuming I, along with the 3/8 complete update group will receive a decision sometime this week but who knows. I thought that last week and I wasn't in the 3/2 batch. Maybe the next batch = rejections :-(

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:47 pm

J Burrito wrote:Status changed from complete 1/27 to complete 3/8 today as well. What does this mean?

I changed from complete 1/27 to complete 3/08. But my numbers are in waitlist region. What does it all mean? Are all acceptances followed by an immediate email, or do they come snail mail?

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:49 pm

UFLS2013 wrote:W&L vs. UNC?

W&L definitely has a better basketball team.

Jaggles

Postby Jaggles » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:49 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

W&L definitely has a better basketball team.
:lol: :lol:

primusux

Postby primusux » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:50 pm

Well...do you want to be able to do this (26 seconds in)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHnA94-hTC8

sorry, couldn't resist ;)

But seriously, what aspect of school is most important to you? That might help you determine which would be the best fit for the next 3 years.

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:24 pm

W&L vs. UNC?

Also interested in this. I am interested in corporate/business/big law, but quality of life is a pressing issue as well.

blawblawblaw

Postby blawblawblaw » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:07 pm

skamike wrote:
Jaggles wrote:
skamike wrote:So...what's the best way to get to Lexington from Lynchburg's airport for the carless?
Renting a car is all I know. You can get one for the weekend for about $100.

Well, in that case, is anybody renting a car from Lynchburg? You can have an entertaining Canadian ride shotgun with you :D

Just booked a flight to get into Lynchburg at noon on Friday the 2nd, let me know if you wanna carpool.

meggers88

Postby meggers88 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:43 pm

wait list...definitely a wait list trend for the 3/2'ers

joonhp

Postby joonhp » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:12 am

my status complete date changed on 3/1...i'm assuming that's because my february score arrived...now it's complete 3/3...anyone else have a status complete update on 3/3?

mshflyer

Postby mshflyer » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:32 am

another 3/2 waitlist

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:32 am

I was somewhat curious about this, and I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on it.

I noticed that the median LSAT for W&L was significantly higher than it's "peer" ranked schools on USnews. Seeing as the 20-50 range of schools was my targets, I found this rather intriguing. Obviously W&L was attracting 'better' students despite it's ranking, so I looked up rankings over the past few years on here: http://www.prelawhandbook.com/law_schoo ... 00_present

W&L was basically flirting with a T20 distinction for many years, but over the last 3 has dropped basically 10 ranks. I don't know a lot about the school, and am trying to learn more about it is seeing as it's one of my top choices, but why did this change take place, and what was the driving force behind it? Anyone know? I'm not ranking obsessed, but this seems to show that even despite maintaining a quality student body, the school is losing ground in reputation (a huge factor in hiring). This is troubling to me as a potential student. Obviously there is a particular metric pulling the school down (and it doesn't seem to be student quality). Is it something notable or something pointless?

gabewatch

Postby gabewatch » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:22 am

Panther7 wrote:I was somewhat curious about this, and I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on it.

I noticed that the median LSAT for W&L was significantly higher than it's "peer" ranked schools on USnews. Seeing as the 20-50 range of schools was my targets, I found this rather intriguing. Obviously W&L was attracting 'better' students despite it's ranking, so I looked up rankings over the past few years on here: http://www.prelawhandbook.com/law_schoo ... 00_present

W&L was basically flirting with a T20 distinction for many years, but over the last 3 has dropped basically 10 ranks. I don't know a lot about the school, and am trying to learn more about it is seeing as it's one of my top choices, but why did this change take place, and what was the driving force behind it? Anyone know? I'm not ranking obsessed, but this seems to show that even despite maintaining a quality student body, the school is losing ground in reputation (a huge factor in hiring). This is troubling to me as a potential student. Obviously there is a particular metric pulling the school down (and it doesn't seem to be student quality). Is it something notable or something pointless?

I think a lot of people will probably attribute the drop in part to the fact that they drastically changed their 3L program. A lot of people seem to be saying that based on how this program works out, and how the current 3Ls do, they will either go back up in rank or lose more ground.

avioguy687

Postby avioguy687 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:22 am

ram jam wrote:
J Burrito wrote:Status changed from complete 1/27 to complete 3/8 today as well. What does this mean?

I changed from complete 1/27 to complete 3/08. But my numbers are in waitlist region. What does it all mean? Are all acceptances followed by an immediate email, or do they come snail mail?

I did some stalking and it seems most of us complete 3/8ers have waitlist numbers. I say we're either lucky admits or unlucky dings. here's hoping for the former!

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:06 pm

I predict waitlist.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:41 pm

gabewatch wrote:
Panther7 wrote:I was somewhat curious about this, and I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on it.

I think a lot of people will probably attribute the drop in part to the fact that they drastically changed their 3L program. A lot of people seem to be saying that based on how this program works out, and how the current 3Ls do, they will either go back up in rank or lose more ground.

Has that changed affected their reputation scores?

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:46 pm

avioguy687 wrote:
ram jam wrote:

I did some stalking and it seems most of us complete 3/8ers have waitlist numbers. I say we're either lucky admits or unlucky dings. here's hoping for the former!

+1 My numbers (as proud as I am of them) are definitely waitlist range. Here's hoping for the best for us all!

prana479

Postby prana479 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Panther7 wrote:
gabewatch wrote:

Yep, I for one know many people who would have gone to W&L despite being lower ranked than the other schools they were looking at, but specifically chose not to for the 3L. W&L used to be fairly comparable with Vandy (as in used to attract similar people) but that has changed drastically.

I like their 3L program though. You talk to any law school grad and they'll tell you that you don't learn anything practical in law school other than how to think and maybe a few things in your 1L. At least W&L is trying to do something about that.

itzbouttime

Postby itzbouttime » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:35 pm

Panther7 wrote:
gabewatch wrote:

I'm completely assuming here, as is everyone on this site, but I've heard that the reason W&L went down in ranking wasn't due to the fact that they changed the 3L program, but the way US News does their ranking. W&L hasn't changed, at least to my knowledge. I don't think that we will have a difficult time finding jobs or that our selection has become smaller just because W&L is now 30 instead of 22. W&L still has a very strong reputation and it is considered a 'National' school. Honestly, that is all I'm concerned with. I do not know where I want to practice law, but if I can graduate from a school and have the name recognized by firms in either NY, DC, FL or CA I know it was worth my investment.

I do believe, for those of us going to the ASD, this is something worth discussing with either the current students and/or faculty/staff/admissions.

dudester

Postby dudester » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:54 pm

itzbouttime wrote:
Panther7 wrote:
gabewatch wrote:

I'm completely assuming here, as is everyone on this site, but I've heard that the reason W&L went down in ranking wasn't due to the fact that they changed the 3L program, but the way US News does their ranking. W&L hasn't changed, at least to my knowledge. I don't think that we will have a difficult time finding jobs or that our selection has become smaller just because W&L is now 30 instead of 22. W&L still has a very strong reputation and it is considered a 'National' school. Honestly, that is all I'm concerned with. I do not know where I want to practice law, but if I can graduate from a school and have the name recognized by firms in either NY, DC, FL or CA I know it was worth my investment.

I do believe, for those of us going to the ASD, this is something worth discussing with either the current students and/or faculty/staff/admissions.

Come again?

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:22 pm

W&L's dean has attributed the drop in rank to incremental gains by competitor schools in areas like student-to-faculty ratio.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:33 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:W&L's dean has attributed the drop in rank to incremental gains by competitor schools in areas like student-to-faculty ratio.

then what is W&L's weak spot?

I mean, those competitors might be closing gaps, but W&L is still ahead of them, so how did they leap W&L in rank? There must be something W&L doesn't have that they do.

itzbouttime

Postby itzbouttime » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:37 pm

I do believe, for those of us going to the ASD, this is something worth discussing with either the current students and/or faculty/staff/admissions.[/quote]

Come again?[/quote]

National school = A school in which a firm will recognize regardless of the location. For example, there are excellent schools in NY, such as Brooklyn Law School, but, there's a big possibility that if you wanted to go to CA to practice law, a firm might not know of Brooklyn outright. However, one might say that there is a 'better' possibility an employer will know of W&L. Basically, I've been told to choose a school based on geographic location - where I eventually want to work. Since I don't know where that is I want to make sure that where I end up going is 'recognizable' enough to take me to most states.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”