Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
statuscheckerssuck

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:17 pm

The LSAT and GPA medians both went up for last years class. Plus, this is the lowest they have been in a long time (ever?), so it is doubtful that they will drop lower. Plus, I heard a lot of their drop last year was caused by a drop in the judge and peer scores due to skepticism about the new third year. I think some of this skepticism may relent after people have gotten more used to the idea. This is all pure speculation, however. I am just interested to hear other's speculations.

nol607

Postby nol607 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:28 pm

In a similar vein, how do you all think the 3L shift will affect chances for securing judicial clerkships? W&L is at the top of my list but I'm concerned that with the shift toward practical skills, learning of a more theoretical nature will be lost. But I guess it's balanced by improved writing ability? Any speculation on the end result?

nol607

Postby nol607 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:29 pm

Ha I'm getting ahead of myself. Probably will be waitlisted.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:41 pm

I hadn't realized that W&L had spent a better part of the past decade in the mid to low 20s. Fascinating. One of my worries was that it might drop out of the top 30... but if the medians are going up and the new program is a success then that might not be something to be concerned about at all.

I like the idea of the new 3L program too. I think practical experience should be useful to anyone, even those interested in the more theoretical side of law. And if that's not enough theory you might be able to take advantage of some study abroad opportunities or something.

Noguchi

Postby Noguchi » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:20 pm

Last edited by Noguchi on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nateborland

Postby nateborland » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:05 pm

NYVA311 wrote:Ughhhh you ALL went DR today? This sucks. I was complete in early November then changed to complete 2/28 FINALLY after months of waiting, expected to get a DR the same day as everyone else in that group. I'm baffled as to why a decision still hasn't been made. Maybe there's still time to go DR tonight?

P.S. Judging by everyone's numbers, this is definitely the wait list batch. No worries, won't be rejections.

I went complete on 2/8 and haven't moved since.

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:45 pm

nateborland wrote:
NYVA311 wrote:Ughhhh you ALL went DR today? This sucks. I was complete in early November then changed to complete 2/28 FINALLY after months of waiting, expected to get a DR the same day as everyone else in that group. I'm baffled as to why a decision still hasn't been made. Maybe there's still time to go DR tonight?

P.S. Judging by everyone's numbers, this is definitely the wait list batch. No worries, won't be rejections.

I went complete on 2/8 and haven't moved since.

But it's only been several weeks for you. I was complete for 5+ months with no movement, I thought that was sufficient time to come to a decision. Oh well, maybe they're sending out another batch tomorrow or the next day and I'll be in that.

mountaintime

Postby mountaintime » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:11 pm

statuscheckerssuck wrote:The LSAT and GPA medians both went up for last years class.

I too expect them to go up in the rankings. Their entering class has numbers which basically match those of WUSTL and UIUC.

W&L accepted me a couple weeks ago, but their 3L program is a big turn off for me. We'll see if my top choices swoop in to save the day.

cpboy77

Postby cpboy77 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:20 pm

mountaintime wrote:
statuscheckerssuck wrote:The LSAT and GPA medians both went up for last years class.

I too expect them to go up in the rankings. Their entering class has numbers which basically match those of WUSTL and UIUC.

W&L accepted me a couple weeks ago, but their 3L program is a big turn off for me. We'll see if my top choices swoop in to save the day.

Mind explaining why their 3L program is a turnoff? I'm aware of the program but, as someone considering W&L, would like to know why you aren't fond of it.

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:35 pm

cpboy77 wrote:
mountaintime wrote:

Mind explaining why their 3L program is a turnoff? I'm aware of the program but, as someone considering W&L, would like to know why you aren't fond of it.

As someone who is fond of the 3L program, I can tell you my only reservation is that I may not be able to take as many of their seemingly wonderful selection of electives as I would like. However, I ultimately think that the practical experience gained through the new third year will be more beneficial to me.

totebags

Postby totebags » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:59 pm

Count me in:
Complete 1/29; "Decision reached; notification pending" 3/2

162, 3.5-ish

arundodonax

Postby arundodonax » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:38 pm

We all got the big ol' WL. Take a look at LSN - there is no way they let us all in but WL'ed everyone with numbers just above ours.

totebags

Postby totebags » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:41 pm

arundodonax wrote:We all got the big ol' WL. Take a look at LSN - there is no way they let us all in but WL'ed everyone with numbers just above ours.

I'm not sure any of us were expecting an acceptance. I thought we were debating WL or Ding. (Or maybe I misread everything.)

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:44 pm

It's definitely a wait list based on LSN. Although everyone was under both medians (well most of you), everyone on LSN who was previously wait listed had equivalent numbers. I'm just wondering if there will be another batch of wait lists sent out in the next few days, or if the next batch is bound to be rejections. I know my decision is coming soon....just hoping that because I wasn't in today's batch, I'm not doomed.

koeni082

Postby koeni082 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:46 pm

totebags wrote:
arundodonax wrote:We all got the big ol' WL. Take a look at LSN - there is no way they let us all in but WL'ed everyone with numbers just above ours.

I'm not sure any of us were expecting an acceptance. I thought we were debating WL or Ding. (Or maybe I misread everything.)

damn, i thought this would be the full-ride batch

akili

Postby akili » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:04 am

koeni082 wrote:
totebags wrote:

damn, i thought this would be the full-ride batch

Wait. My 160 won't get me a full-ride?!??!

richmondguy3000

Postby richmondguy3000 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 am

162/3.94 here, on 3/2:

"A decision has been made on your application for admission; when we have processed your letter of decision, its mailing will be reflected in the Mailings box below. Thank you for your interest in Washington and Lee"

You do not tell somebody you are interested in as a student thank you for your interest, or this school is really f'd up.

luhrenzo

Postby luhrenzo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:42 am

richmondguy3000 wrote:162/3.94 here, on 3/2:

"A decision has been made on your application for admission; when we have processed your letter of decision, its mailing will be reflected in the Mailings box below. Thank you for your interest in Washington and Lee"

You do not tell somebody you are interested in as a student thank you for your interest, or this school is really f'd up.

damn i didn't catch that last part when i read my status. 164/3.53 URM (mex). pretty solid softs. actually was kinda counting on this acceptance haha my cycle is not going anywhere near as well as hoped...

jaxangler

Postby jaxangler » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:50 am

It says Thank you for your interest in Washington and Lee for people who were accepted as well.

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:50 am

luhrenzo wrote:

damn i didn't catch that last part when i read my status. 164/3.53 URM (mex). pretty solid softs. actually was kinda counting on this acceptance haha my cycle is not going anywhere near as well as hoped...

I don't think they would allude to their decision in the status checker, or else they would just blatantly post it rather than making you wait to receive it by snail mail. It's probably just standard procedure for them.

164/3.53 URM? Hm....unless you killed someone, there's no way you aren't getting accepted to W&L. Maybe this batch is more favorable than expected?

luhrenzo

Postby luhrenzo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:53 am

NYVA311 wrote:
luhrenzo wrote:

I don't think they would allude to their decision in the status checker, or else they would just blatantly post it rather than making you wait to receive it by snail mail. It's probably just standard procedure for them.

164/3.53 URM? Hm....unless you killed someone, there's no way you aren't getting accepted to W&L. Maybe this batch is more favorable than expected?

don't you wanna know if i killed someone first?

richmondguy3000

Postby richmondguy3000 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:02 am

Hmm, it is good info that people who already did get acceptance letter have the same thing.

They should not allude to their decision, but have you ever applied for jobs and got job offer letters? Noone in their right mind will put "thank you for your interest" for a job offer letter - they dont care about your interest, they want you to fn accept! Thank you for your interest is a standatd rejection letter template.

If they just said - decision made - they would not allude to anything and would not create an impression of a rejection, thats all.

URM guy - you should just chill as you have a white's man 174 LSAT, you will be a'ight.

luhrenzo

Postby luhrenzo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:09 am

richmondguy3000 wrote:Hmm, it is good info that people who already did get acceptance letter have the same thing.

They should not allude to their decision, but have you ever applied for jobs and got job offer letters? Noone in their right mind will put "thank you for your interest" for a job offer letter - they dont care about your interest, they want you to fn accept! Thank you for your interest is a standatd rejection letter template.

If they just said - decision made - they would not allude to anything and would not create an impression of a rejection, thats all.

URM guy - you should just chill as you have a white's man 174 LSAT, you will be a'ight.

got rejected from GW so i'm a little jaded. cut me some slack

richmondguy3000

Postby richmondguy3000 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:23 am

Hmm, that is quite odd. I guess URM admissions are in fact unpredictable. Are you sure you checked URM box on LSAC? They might have missed that you were URM . URM is like LSAT and GPA combined, lol.

I got into W&M with 162/3.94, non URM. Call GW and confirm they had you on record as URM.

clwilson6

Postby clwilson6 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:24 am

From my cycle, it seems like URM status helps you out in applications to higher tier schools but can possibly hurt you in lower ranked schools. I got accepted to W&L and rejected by Baylor and waitlisted at University of Akron. It might be yield protection because they figure that you probably got offers from higher ranked schools and wouldn't go to their school even if they offered you full ride.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”