Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
texaspecial88
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:09 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby texaspecial88 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:43 pm

itzbouttime wrote:
texaspecial88 wrote:i hear a lot about W&L students being a lot older. Is this true? Is anyone on this thread going to W&L right out of undergrad?


I graduated in 05, but I'm only 26. I don't think you can consider me 'older'. How old you talking?


Sorry for not clarifying. I heard the majority of the students are in the 28-32 range. I am a little worried going to such a tiny school where the students are significantly older...

forumnewb
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby forumnewb » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:50 pm

texaspecial88 wrote:
itzbouttime wrote:
texaspecial88 wrote:i hear a lot about W&L students being a lot older. Is this true? Is anyone on this thread going to W&L right out of undergrad?


I graduated in 05, but I'm only 26. I don't think you can consider me 'older'. How old you talking?


Sorry for not clarifying. I heard the majority of the students are in the 28-32 range. I am a little worried going to such a tiny school where the students are significantly older...


Taken from their website:

Class Size:

The entering class size for Class of 2013: Targeted at 138.

Our current first year class consists of 135 students and includes graduates from 95 different undergraduate institutions and 30 different states. Females make up 50% of the class and diverse students comprise 23% of the newest group of students to join our campus community. Our median age is 25.

statuscheckerssuck
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:29 pm

I am coming right out of undergrad. Although it is kind of hard to tell, when I visited everyone seemed fairly young.

User avatar
HERetICal
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:30 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby HERetICal » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 pm

has anybody tried to negotiate their scholarship offer? Was anyone successful? Thanks!

User avatar
ziggystardust23
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby ziggystardust23 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:43 pm

Scholarship came in the mail today!! $24,000 a year, super excited! DR on 2/10.

User avatar
set88
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:33 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby set88 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:01 pm

Got my scholarship info today. 34k a year. Wow. They like me better than I like myself.

goingoingone
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 12:23 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby goingoingone » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:30 pm

hds2388 wrote:My status went to decision reach; notification pending on 2/15 and under the mailings I have "Letter of Decision Mailed" on 2/15 as well. That said, I still have not recieved this letter. Should I call?


I would if I was you, or maybe email.

NewtonLied
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:16 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby NewtonLied » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:34 pm

For the people who got a scholarship offer today, did your status checker say anything about it in the "mailings" section?

savesthedayajb
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby savesthedayajb » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:41 pm

set88 wrote:Got my scholarship info today. 34k a year. Wow. They like me better than I like myself.


:lol: Congratulations!

User avatar
ziggystardust23
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby ziggystardust23 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:46 pm

NewtonLied wrote:For the people who got a scholarship offer today, did your status checker say anything about it in the "mailings" section?


Nope.

NewtonLied
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:16 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby NewtonLied » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:48 pm

ziggystardust23 wrote:
NewtonLied wrote:For the people who got a scholarship offer today, did your status checker say anything about it in the "mailings" section?


Nope.


That's good. If I don't end up getting my own, can I half some of yours?

User avatar
maximus34998
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:16 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby maximus34998 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:14 pm

HERetICal wrote:has anybody tried to negotiate their scholarship offer? Was anyone successful? Thanks!


I'd really like to know this too...I got a HUGE offer from WUSTL today. But I like W&L better...any ideas on how open they are to negotiations?

gregw8705
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby gregw8705 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:12 pm

Panther7 wrote:
gregw8705 wrote:
1L here, and the above is correct. The law school is definitely not the kind of place to judge you on the basis of your clothing. Once you're in law school you've got about 1 million things to worry about other than whether you're wearing the right embroidered animal on your chest or have the right name inside your collar.

EDIT: And you certainly don't have time to worry about which tiny embroidered animal is on anyone else's shirt.


what places are "must visit" for a person trying to figure out if W&L is a good fit for law school?


I'd suggest visiting the law school and walking around town to see if you could see yourself living here for 3 years. Stop into some of the smaller cafes, stores, or restaurants to get a feel for the friendly atmosphere in many of those locations. If you'll be around for ASW you should go to whatever party or bar the students you meet will inevitably invite you to. This will give a sense of the social life which is important.

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:56 pm

So, I'm at the Mercer Woodruff weekend, and I asked my neighbor back home to open my mail. 34k per at 3.0 from Washington and Lee!!! What a rollercoaster day. Waitlisted at Illinois unexpectedly hurt, but this more than makes up for it by an order of magnitude. WOW! I am really pumped. So many good choices!

User avatar
Panther7
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:34 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Panther7 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:02 am

6k/yr /pout

NewtonLied
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:16 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby NewtonLied » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:23 am

84Sunbird2000 wrote:So, I'm at the Mercer Woodruff weekend, and I asked my neighbor back home to open my mail. 34k per at 3.0 from Washington and Lee!!! What a rollercoaster day. Waitlisted at Illinois unexpectedly hurt, but this more than makes up for it by an order of magnitude. WOW! I am really pumped. So many good choices!


By an order of magnitude, eh? Is someone else in these forums a Physicist?

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby D. H2Oman » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:25 am

So, anyone already decided or heavily leaning towards W&L right now.

User avatar
Panther7
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:34 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Panther7 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:30 am

D. H2Oman wrote:So, anyone already decided or heavily leaning towards W&L right now.


im leaning, and will be visiting in a few weeks. however i'm not sure i want to pay that much for law school...

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:52 am

I'm now, especially in the emotion of the scholarship aftermath, leaning towards W and L. I still have a few schools to wait on, and a few more possible scholarships at current admits to consider, but this is pretty big. My only worry is that the community and school will be too conservative for my liking. I do love everything else about the school.

statuscheckerssuck
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:20 am

84Sunbird2000 wrote:I'm now, especially in the emotion of the scholarship aftermath, leaning towards W and L. I still have a few schools to wait on, and a few more possible scholarships at current admits to consider, but this is pretty big. My only worry is that the community and school will be too conservative for my liking. I do love everything else about the school.


If it helps...I am very libreral...and already committed to W&L.

Aside from that, I am going to continue to shamelessly advertise the facebook group we created for those that or definitely going (or pretty sure).

FUMAgrad05
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby FUMAgrad05 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:10 pm

I'm gonna commit soon too, and I'm also a liberal. I've heard the law school is quite different compared to undergrad at W&L in terms of political views (UG being very conservative), but I'm sure there will still be a good amount of young republican types. However, I think there will still be a strong contingent of us lefties and, I would hope, plenty of moderates/independents.

User avatar
Panther7
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:34 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Panther7 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:18 pm

FUMAgrad05 wrote:However, I think there will still be a strong contingent of us lefties and, I would hope, plenty of moderates/independents.


I tend to think most law school types are conservative independants. (ie, not religious conservatives or strict republican party members)

FUMAgrad05
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby FUMAgrad05 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:12 pm

Panther7 wrote:
FUMAgrad05 wrote:However, I think there will still be a strong contingent of us lefties and, I would hope, plenty of moderates/independents.


I tend to think most law school types are conservative independants. (ie, not religious conservatives or strict republican party members)


When you say "law school types" I assume you mean the type of republicans who go to law school? or law school types in general? BTW, I'm at a pretty conservative school in the south and I know a lot of people going to law school who are very conservative republicans, and a couple who have been accepted to W&L.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:12 pm

Pending an acceptance to Vanderbilt,this is looking like the school for me. I'm a conservative though so be afraid.

gregw8705
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby gregw8705 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:11 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:I'm now, especially in the emotion of the scholarship aftermath, leaning towards W and L. I still have a few schools to wait on, and a few more possible scholarships at current admits to consider, but this is pretty big. My only worry is that the community and school will be too conservative for my liking. I do love everything else about the school.


I'm a 1L at W&L now, and I can assure you it's not that conservative. I'm a libertarian, and found that most of those who consider themselves Republicans or conservatives are more in line with my views than the moral majority types. I can't think of too many I'd consider socially conservative. There are also plenty of very liberal students. The undergrad's conservative reputation doesn't really apply to the law school.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”