Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Veritas

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Veritas » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:28 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:Did everyone do the optional ethical dilemma essay?

I'm not sure I have a good one to write about so I'd rather not turn in a bad essay, at the same time I also don't want to be the only applicant that doesn't send one in. They say not having one does not affect your application negatively but I assume if you're the only one who doesn't send in an essay that everyone else writes then there is some disadvantage in that.

I didn't do it.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:29 pm

I'm not sure I have a good one to write about so I'd rather not turn in a bad essay, at the same time I also don't want to be the only applicant that doesn't send one in. They say not having one does not affect your application negatively but I assume if you're the only one who doesn't send in an essay that everyone else writes then there is some disadvantage in that.

I did not write one.

sckon

Postby sckon » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:30 pm

I was going to write one but did not think anything would warrant an ethical dilemma in there mind. Since they are not super high on my list I am hoping my numbers will do the talking. If your borderline, write one. Try to think of something that is somewhat meaningful and will not waste their time reading it, which might hurt you worse than not writing one.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:37 pm

sckon wrote:

I was going to write one but did not think anything would warrant an ethical dilemma in there mind. Since they are not super high on my list I am hoping my numbers will do the talking. If your borderline, write one. Try to think of something that is somewhat meaningful and will not waste their time reading it, which might hurt you worse than not writing one.

ah thanks guys. Yea I am definitely not an "auto-admit" for W&L so I suppose I'll think of something meaningful to write. Besides, I'm retaking the LSAT in December and they say they won't review apps until after they receive scores of future test dates. So I'll have until late December to write one... man this stinks..

The Zeppelin

Postby The Zeppelin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:39 pm

If you have a topic, feel free to PM me and I'll give you my thoughts.

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:42 pm

I wrote one, but I had a good topic. It's probably better to ignore it than write about something trivial IMO.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:48 pm

Thanks for the offer Zeppelin, if I think of one I'll run it by you. Well what do you guys think of my chances? 3.8/160 and keep in mind I'm retaking but I'm hoping I'll at least get waitlisted... LSP gives me a 53% chance but I'm not sure.. low enough to warrant the extra effort?

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:50 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:Thanks for the offer Zeppelin, if I think of one I'll run it by you. Well what do you guys think of my chances? 3.8/160 and keep in mind I'm retaking but I'm hoping I'll at least get waitlisted... LSP gives me a 53% chance but I'm not sure.. low enough to warrant the extra effort?

If you can write a good one, I would say worth it.

general100

Postby general100 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:56 pm

As an undergraduate alum of Washington and Lee and a W&L Law candidate, I would strongly urge everyone to consider writing the optional essay. Honor is sacrosanct on the W&L campus -- in a way that might be inconceivable to someone who has never made a trip to Lexington -- and I am confident that it figures prominently in admissions decisions at both the undergraduate and law divisions. If integrity and ethical conduct are the cornerstones of the institution, why would you pass up the opportunity to discuss your experiences in that realm?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:58 pm

general100 wrote:As an undergraduate alum of Washington and Lee and a W&L Law candidate, I would strongly urge everyone to consider writing the optional essay. Honor is sacrosanct on the W&L campus -- in a way that might be inconceivable to someone who has never made a trip to Lexington -- and I am confident that it figures prominently in admissions decisions at both the undergraduate and law divisions. If integrity and ethical conduct are the cornerstones of the institution, why would you pass up the opportunity to discuss your experiences in that realm?

if writing it will detract from my application package? yes....

The Zeppelin

Postby The Zeppelin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:59 pm

general100 wrote:As an undergraduate alum of Washington and Lee and a W&L Law candidate, I would strongly urge everyone to consider writing the optional essay. Honor is sacrosanct on the W&L campus -- in a way that might be inconceivable to someone who has never made a trip to Lexington -- and I am confident that it figures prominently in admissions decisions at both the undergraduate and law divisions. If integrity and ethical conduct are the cornerstones of the institution, why would you pass up the opportunity to discuss your experiences in that realm?

Mind sharing your personal thoughts on Lexington?

general100

Postby general100 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:16 pm

Veritas wrote:

if writing it will detract from my application package? yes....

It seems unlikely that a 300 wd essay written on a topic of special interest to a college would negatively impact the application package of most prospective students...

Do I think someone's application will be discounted because they've chosen not to write an optional essay? No -- they're pretty clear that there's no penalty. Do I think that skipping over that question would be a missed opportunity? Yes. This school values individuals who share its core principles.

general100

Postby general100 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:25 pm

The Zeppelin wrote:

Mind sharing your personal thoughts on Lexington?

Sure -- feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. I just graduated from W&L undergrad in June and am taking this year to work in DC. Though the undergrad and law divisions are separated in a variety of ways -- socially, there's very little interaction between law students and undergraduates, and the campuses are actually physically separated by a creek -- I took a joint class in the law school comprised by 2Ls and 3Ls and undergrad seniors last Spring. It was an unbelievable experience and really made me consider going to law school there for the first time.

A lot of people are perhaps rightfully concerned that going to law school in an area as remote as Lexington might pose problems upon graduation, but I generally didn't find that to be the case. Yes, I'm pretty sure that last year was rough (where wasn't it?), but on the whole, I got the impression that W&L students were just as competitive, if not more so, than students at peer schools who compete for jobs in the same markets...

tram988

Postby tram988 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:11 pm

I didn't write the optional essay nor submit a Why X essay. I should be receiving my letter Thursday! I'll keep you all posted,

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:24 pm

I wonder, does the scholarship info come in the letter??

uganik

Postby uganik » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:04 pm

The Real Deal!!!

OK-

I just checked my status checker and, for the first time, it says decision mailed on 11/10.

Anyone else out their with a decision from today??

tram988

Postby tram988 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:05 pm

uganik wrote:The Real Deal!!!

OK-

I just checked my status checker and, for the first time, it says decision mailed on 11/10.

Anyone else out their with a decision from today??

Mine was mailed 11/9

uganik

Postby uganik » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:07 pm

Are you pretty sure you got in?

tram988

Postby tram988 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:08 pm

I hope so...LSAT at the median; GPA > 75th

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:14 pm

I also received my letter today. Just a single sheet in a small white envelope, so don't get scared it's not a ding. No scholarship info contained in the letter, numbers in profile (LSN) and I'm located in VA

uganik

Postby uganik » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:21 pm

My application is a little "beyond the norm" so I can't really tell if it's an acceptance, except that I would be quite surprised to get a reject so early on, especially when it does not involve an early decision application.

Bad news is I just re-checked my application and located a very obvious/bad/serious typo on my personal statement. Unbelievable, except for the fact that I wrote it at 2:00am.

I hope it's my first accept, that way I wont feel so bad if Yale turns me down.

Good luck to us both.....W&L is an awesome law school.

IHL2009

Postby IHL2009 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:01 am

Letter mailed 11/10 here too...I hope it's an acceptance!

However, on the W&L website says that those offered admission will be notified by email followed by an official letter. Any thoughts?

tram988

Postby tram988 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:05 am

IHL2009 wrote:Letter mailed 11/10 here too...I hope it's an acceptance!

However, on the W&L website says that those offered admission will be notified by email followed by an official letter. Any thoughts?

I know the person above who was accepted did not receive an email.

IHL2009

Postby IHL2009 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:06 am

I see! So wait and see...

Thanks!

tram988

Postby tram988 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:07 am

I wish the USPS was working today!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”