Washington and Lee Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LSATfromNC

Silver

Re: Washington and Lee

Post by LSATfromNC » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:16 pm

Muddy wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:
SAE wrote:
adh07d wrote:More than likely, based on that whole scholarship shenanigans they pulled last cycle, their numbers might be going down this cycle. Maybe this is a last ditch effort to hold on to their numbers prestige?
What's the story with that? I might have missed it.
They offered full rides late last year to high LSAT waitlistees.
Why does adh07d refer to that as scholarship shenanigans?
:?:
Because they had a free for all waitlistee visitation day only weeks before. Some people called out of work and flew in only for W&L to turn around and offer full rides to the first few people above 166 (or 167, don't remember) to accept their offer. I was one of those people who was waitlised and I don't think it was really a big deal (granted I didn't visit). They probably came up short on their LSAT median or something. I'm glad my score increase got me a straight acceptance this year so I don't have to worry about any shenanigans.

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:24 pm

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Muddy

New

Post by Muddy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:34 pm

presh wrote:Just wanted to pop in and tell everyone congratulations, and if you have any questions, feel free to pm me (I'm a current W&L 1L).
Are you happy that you chose W&L? Would you make the same decision now?

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:13 pm

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:00 am

status checker updated to 2/8

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

krispykitten

Bronze

Post by krispykitten » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:53 am

presh wrote:
Muddy wrote:
presh wrote:Just wanted to pop in and tell everyone congratulations, and if you have any questions, feel free to pm me (I'm a current W&L 1L).
Are you happy that you chose W&L? Would you make the same decision now?
Yes. W&L was, and is, the best choice for me. That being said, a big part of why I chose to come here was the school offered me a significant scholarship. If I had to pay sticker, I would have gone somewhere else. I do know some people here paying sticker though, and they seem ok with it.

I have great professors, and I've really enjoyed the class experience. Our class is tight knit and supportive of each other.

Like all schools in this range, the economy has made job hunting more difficult, but it's not impossible to get a good job from here.

Lexington is a really nice small town. The COL is low, and the people are really friendly. I like going to school where there the distractions are at a minimum.

That's pretty general, but if you have any specifics, feel free to ask.
If you don't mind, which other schools were you accepted to and why did you turn them down for W&L?

What do you think about the new 3rd year program? How do you think it will affect your job hunting, if at all? Do you know anything about how people outside W&L feel about the program? What are you planning on doing for your 3rd year?

Shot007

New

Post by Shot007 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:11 pm

How is their much lauded Honor System, how does it work in reality at the school?

klussy

Bronze

Post by klussy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:38 pm

Can you elaborate more on job placement. Where do the bulk of grads end up practicing? Richmond, Atlanta, D.C./northern VA?

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:53 pm

Muddy wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:
SAE wrote:
adh07d wrote:More than likely, based on that whole scholarship shenanigans they pulled last cycle, their numbers might be going down this cycle. Maybe this is a last ditch effort to hold on to their numbers prestige?
What's the story with that? I might have missed it.
They offered full rides late last year to high LSAT waitlistees.
Why does adh07d refer to that as scholarship shenanigans?
:?:
They were offering them to people who hadn't even applied, finding anyone who just retook and achieved a certain LSAT a full-ride - but it wasn't shennanigans, it was really that they had just gotten money to give some full-ride schollys (you see this year a bunch offered already, last year there were none I believe), so they had a pot of money they could use to help out for the year suddenly in mid-June, and seemed to say why not use it to bump our numbers a bit this cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:53 pm

sarlis wrote:status checker updated to 2/8
+1.

azb

Bronze

Post by azb » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:04 pm

Zojirushi wrote:
sarlis wrote:status checker updated to 2/8
+1.
+1

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:07 pm

This may be a stupid/naive question but are there many non-white people there? I love that area of Virginia and the school interests me, but my wife is Indonesian, we just recently returned to the US. Im not sure if it would be the best atmosphere for her. Can anyone speak to the diversity of school/town?

law_lover

New

Post by law_lover » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:10 pm

My status check updated to 2/8 as well. Does this mean anything?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:11 pm

I have visited a couple schools this cycle, and Washington and Lee seemed to me to be just as diverse as any of them. Keep in mind each entering class is only 120 people or so, so the actual number of "non-white" people will be relatively small, but that number will be about the same percentage of the overall population that you would find at any other school (at least based on what I saw).

I have heard a few people on this board say that the townies are pretty white for the most part, but I was only there for half a day, so take that for what it's worth.

cr073137

Bronze

Post by cr073137 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:12 pm

iShotFirst wrote:This may be a stupid/naive question but are there many non-white people there? I love that area of Virginia and the school interests me, but my wife is Indonesian, we just recently returned to the US. Im not sure if it would be the best atmosphere for her. Can anyone speak to the diversity of school/town?
I dont know about the school as a whole nor the town, but I am in the admitted students facebook group and there seems to be like 3 asians, 2 hispanics and like 2 black people out of about 170. So that tells you something. But look at the LSAC data on them.

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:31 pm

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

law_lover

New

Post by law_lover » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:19 pm

Are there any thoughts on whether the status date change implies anything? At least I know they are doing something with my application.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:57 pm

been complete since 11/16...havent heard anything.. is this bad news or good news..?

lawstudent119

New

Post by lawstudent119 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:29 pm

law_lover wrote:Are there any thoughts on whether the status date change implies anything? At least I know they are doing something with my application.
From what I can tell, W&L actually does update the status checker according to where your application is during the process. Mine went from "Complete" (in November) to "Decision Rendered, Letter Mailed" (in January). I received the letter in the mail 2 days later. Hope that helps.

prana479

New

Post by prana479 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:38 am

nooyyllib wrote:been complete since 11/16...havent heard anything.. is this bad news or good news..?

I've been complete since 11/2 so I feel your pain! According to law school numbers, everyone else who went complete before January and has similar numbers to me has been either waitlisted or rejected, so I don't understand why I'm still around. Only thing I have going for me on this app is a rec letter from a former faculty member of their law school, but I doubt they care enough about a rec letter to keep me.

I guess no news is good news?

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:23 pm

Information about the Open Houses/reimbursement is up: http://law.wlu.edu/admissions/page2.asp?pageid=926

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:43 am

If anyone cares, withdrew from the waitlist today, I really hope it helps someone out! Good luck everyone! :)

cendien

Bronze

Post by cendien » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:32 am

Just noticed that I went to decision rendered on the 10th. Any idea how long it will be before I get an envelope, and is scholarship info included? Would they give me a decision over the phone if I called tomorrow?

Applied on Jan 19th, btw.

lawstudent119

New

Post by lawstudent119 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:07 pm

cendien wrote:Just noticed that I went to decision rendered on the 10th. Any idea how long it will be before I get an envelope, and is scholarship info included? Would they give me a decision over the phone if I called tomorrow?

The majority of the decision letters so far have been received by applicants 2 business days after being sent. Does it say your Letter of Decision was mailed on 2/10? If so, you should probably receive it today, unless you're on the West coast. They do not give decisions over the phone.

enk2013

New

Post by enk2013 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:14 pm

cendien wrote:Just noticed that I went to decision rendered on the 10th. Any idea how long it will be before I get an envelope, and is scholarship info included? Would they give me a decision over the phone if I called tomorrow?

I just noticed the same thing. Good luck, hopefully we'll receive our decisions today!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”