Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
waxloaf

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby waxloaf » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:17 pm

kwhitegocubs wrote:I'd assume you'll have about the same amount of free time in law school as you would with a 9-5 job, with the exception of the week or so before finals and finals themselves. In fact, I'd be shocked if you won't have MORE free time as a student than as a practicing attorney. Thus, what you like for recreational activities should be fairly important. Most people in school recharge themselves doing something they enjoy, and thus their academic success may be partially due to the location of the school.

+1, I think location is so huge because recharging the stores is so important

cpboy77

Postby cpboy77 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:37 pm

Thanks all.

whatchootalkinbout

Postby whatchootalkinbout » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:41 pm

In! Just got the letter. :)

crm

Postby crm » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:54 pm

Did your guys' status checkers change to DM/DR before you got the acceptance in the mail? I changed to complete a little while back but I wasn't sure if it was going to change again.

mmiracle

Postby mmiracle » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:00 pm

for those considering W&L v. other DC schools, one thing to consider (though obvious) is simply location. at W&L, you have no option to do internships during the school year and are forced to compete with others for the summer internships. just some thoughts as i have friends that are attorneys and wish they had done more internships. law market is more competitive than ever since the recession!

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:01 pm

crm wrote:Did your guys' status checkers change to DM/DR before you got the acceptance in the mail? I changed to complete a little while back but I wasn't sure if it was going to change again.

Yup, it'll say DM.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:04 pm

crm wrote:Did your guys' status checkers change to DM/DR before you got the acceptance in the mail? I changed to complete a little while back but I wasn't sure if it was going to change again.

Mine said decision reached; notification pending.

Good luck!

crm

Postby crm » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:05 pm

forty-two wrote:

Mine said decision reached; notification pending.

Good luck!

ok i figured it would say as much, thanks!

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:07 pm

kwhitegocubs wrote:I'd assume you'll have about the same amount of free time in law school as you would with a 9-5 job, with the exception of the week or so before finals and finals themselves. In fact, I'd be shocked if you won't have MORE free time as a student than as a practicing attorney. Thus, what you like for recreational activities should be fairly important. Most people in school recharge themselves doing something they enjoy, and thus their academic success may be partially due to the location of the school.

I hope you are kidding or you are in for a very rude awakening. Law students eat, sleep and breathe law. You will nor have a lot of time for recreational activities. Maybe on Saturdays!

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:22 pm

Emma1 wrote:

I hope you are kidding or you are in for a very rude awakening. Law students eat, sleep and breathe law. You will nor have a lot of time for recreational activities. Maybe on Saturdays!

Well, based on surveys of how long (per day) students study and the number of hours actually spent in class, I stand by my assertion. I didn't say a lot of free time, but the same amount of free time you'd have working a normal full-time job. Since most lawyers work more hours than 40 per week, I'd guess that you would, indeed, have more free time during school than after it. It also depends largely on the individual. Some will study more and some less for different results, just as in every other field and avenue of study.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:27 pm

I would skip the surveys and talk to law students who are at a decent law school. Most law students I know work every night and most of Sunday. Sometimes a few hours on Saturday.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:40 pm

I'm trying to get a good idea of what kind of clothes I would need to bring with me out there. Hailing from so cal... I've never lived somewhere where it gets cold and occasionally snows... will I need more than one pair of snow-sufficient boots? Do I need to buys hats and gloves and all that?

waxloaf

Postby waxloaf » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:45 pm

jmhendri wrote:I'm trying to get a good idea of what kind of clothes I would need to bring with me out there. Hailing from so cal... I've never lived somewhere where it gets cold and occasionally snows... will I need more than one pair of snow-sufficient boots? Do I need to buys hats and gloves and all that?

Not from the area, but I would say boots probably aren't necessary unless the only shoes you own are sandals. Personally I skip gloves in favor of a nice jacket with pockets, hats are usually a good idea unless the aforementioned jacket also has a nice warm hood.

just an fyi, I live in Jersey/PA so probably a little colder here but same general climate.

waxloaf

Postby waxloaf » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:46 pm

Emma1 wrote:I would skip the surveys and talk to law students who are at a decent law school. Most law students I know work every night and most of Sunday. Sometimes a few hours on Saturday.

Are you in law school or do you just know people who are? Not trying to call you out or anything, just curious.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:11 pm

waxloaf wrote:
jmhendri wrote:I'm trying to get a good idea of what kind of clothes I would need to bring with me out there. Hailing from so cal... I've never lived somewhere where it gets cold and occasionally snows... will I need more than one pair of snow-sufficient boots? Do I need to buys hats and gloves and all that?

Not from the area, but I would say boots probably aren't necessary unless the only shoes you own are sandals. Personally I skip gloves in favor of a nice jacket with pockets, hats are usually a good idea unless the aforementioned jacket also has a nice warm hood.

just an fyi, I live in Jersey/PA so probably a little colder here but same general climate.

All I own are sandals, open toed heels, and paper thin ballet flats. Shoes have been a real concern for me.

rhapsodyinazul

Postby rhapsodyinazul » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:35 pm

Got a $34k offer, but I am withdrawing today.

Good luck all!

whatchootalkinbout

Postby whatchootalkinbout » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:37 pm

jmhendri wrote:
waxloaf wrote:

All I own are sandals, open toed heels, and paper thin ballet flats. Shoes have been a real concern for me.

Having lived in VA my whole life and am currently about an hour away from Lexington, I would normally say buying snow-sufficient boots would be unnecessary; however, this year has been quite the anomaly as we have received two significant bouts of snow within the past two months (the most recent being just a few days ago), so snowboots might actually be a wise investment. While a parka and a crew of huskies isn't exactly necessary, it's good to pack for 20-30 degree winters and 80-90 degree humid summers and everything else between.

Welcome to the state of completely unpredictable weather.

waxloaf

Postby waxloaf » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:44 pm

jmhendri wrote:
waxloaf wrote:

get yourself a nice pair of sneakers and you'll be good, personally I would prefer a waterproof trail running shoe or light hiker, but thats up to you

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:08 pm

waxloaf wrote:
jmhendri wrote:
waxloaf wrote:

get yourself a nice pair of sneakers and you'll be good, personally I would prefer a waterproof trail running shoe or light hiker, but thats up to you

I guess I'll have to.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:49 pm

FUCK I THINK I JUST MADE A TYPO ON MY LOCI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! am I screwed?

SAE

Postby SAE » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:51 pm

robin600 wrote:FUCK I THINK I JUST MADE A TYPO ON MY LOCI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! am I screwed?

Did you address it to William and Mary?

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:53 pm

SAE wrote:
robin600 wrote:FUCK I THINK I JUST MADE A TYPO ON MY LOCI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! am I screwed?

No, i think i left out the word this. My computer screws shit like this up sometimes because I have a program that reads what I write down back to me, and sometimes it adds shit (I'm partially blind) when it's not really there. Freaking out!

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:04 pm

robin600 wrote:
SAE wrote:

No, i think i left out the word this. My computer screws shit like this up sometimes because I have a program that reads what I write down back to me, and sometimes it adds shit (I'm partially blind) when it's not really there. Freaking out!

Robin, don't freak out. If you really feel like you need to correct it call tomorrow and explain the situation. They'll very likely understand given your situation.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:07 pm

My app to UNC left out the important word "am." I know the feeling.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:20 pm

jaskat wrote:
robin600 wrote:
SAE wrote:

Robin, don't freak out. If you really feel like you need to correct it call tomorrow and explain the situation. They'll very likely understand given your situation.

who do i call, the person I addressed it to? Would this point out the problem making me seem like a duumbass if they didn't notice it? Sorry I'm soo OCD about this stuff. Maybe a nice email? box of cookies, sexual favors?
But really, you think I should call or email?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”