Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:00 am

When did the people that got offers today get accepted?

User avatar
Rowinguy2009
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:37 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:20 am

I personally got accepted in early November. I've seen posts earlier in this thread from people who got accepted earlier in the week who got $ today

waxloaf
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby waxloaf » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:24 am

yeah, i was one of the earlier in the week folks, applied on sunday, they sent a letter on tuesday, i got my acceptance letter yesterday and got my scholarship info today, needless to say I am surprised at the speed they are showing down in VA

krispykitten
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby krispykitten » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:29 am

$24k/yr which puts their tuition tied at W&M w/a scholly there for 8k/yr. I may see if I can try and leverage that towards more $$ at W&L, but honestly this whole 3rd year program still scares me. Could be cool, could totally flop-- and if it flops, I'm not sure I want to be aboard that boat for the rest of my life... but hey, we'll see.

User avatar
Rowinguy2009
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:37 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:19 am

Thank you for that piece of advice waxloaf. Helped
me put it in perspective. Barring some unforseen circumstance, I think I will be in Lexington this august.

krispykitten
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby krispykitten » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:28 am

.
Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waxloaf
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby waxloaf » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:55 am

Rowinguy2009 wrote:Thank you for that piece of advice waxloaf. Helped
me put it in perspective. Barring some unforseen circumstance, I think I will be in Lexington this august.


Good Luck, maybe I'll be down there with you. I think if you are good enough to deserve that scholarship you will be just fine staying above the median.

ewc227
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:38 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby ewc227 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:25 pm

I also got an email last friday with a scholarship offer of 34k, but im withdrawing. best of luck!!!

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:28 pm

EDIT: Found it in my inbox, I'm an idiot. 34K a year! I'm really excited, thanks W&L!

User avatar
UTaylor526
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:45 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby UTaylor526 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:11 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:If I didn't hear Friday, should I assume I'm not getting a scholarship offer? I'd be really disappointed as I would very much like to consider W&L.


I agree with you. However, I wouldn't say that if you didn't get one Friday you are completely out of luck. Yes, you will not likely get a full ride but as some people who did get them withdraw (especially after the April 15 first deposit deadline) you may see some money reallocated.

You simply have to decide which school is your top choice regardless of money. If you will only consider W&L if you get money, then yes it is probably no longer a consideration.

My plan is simply to beg for money during the ASD. :)

umichgrad
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:53 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby umichgrad » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:04 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:
virginiagirl55 wrote:34,000/year. will also likely be withdrawing. have similar offers from MUCH better schools.


Way to snub your nose.



You should talk, T14. You're rude as fuck.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:20 am

How would people compare W&L's placement in DC (biglaw and otherwise) to W&M's? I'm weighing offers from both schools (they would be my final two if my cycle ended today, but still a long way to go), 17.2/yr for W&M and 34/yr for W&L...I think this would make W&L cheaper by a decent amount. My hunch is that these schools are seen pretty equally in reputation around the DC area, is this right?

User avatar
Rowinguy2009
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:37 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:24 am

ndirish2010 wrote:How would people compare W&L's placement in DC (biglaw and otherwise) to W&M's? I'm weighing offers from both schools (they would be my final two if my cycle ended today, but still a long way to go), 17.2/yr for W&M and 34/yr for W&L...I think this would make W&L cheaper by a decent amount. My hunch is that these schools are seen pretty equally in reputation around the DC area, is this right?


There's a william and mary vs washington and lee thread that discusses this in length. What I have taken away from it (along with my own research, because these are also basically my top two schools) is that their placement/reputation are very very similar.

I would say go visit the two, and base your decision off that. Any difference that you may find in employment stats is going to be small at best.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:41 am

Rowinguy2009 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:How would people compare W&L's placement in DC (biglaw and otherwise) to W&M's? I'm weighing offers from both schools (they would be my final two if my cycle ended today, but still a long way to go), 17.2/yr for W&M and 34/yr for W&L...I think this would make W&L cheaper by a decent amount. My hunch is that these schools are seen pretty equally in reputation around the DC area, is this right?


There's a william and mary vs washington and lee thread that discusses this in length. What I have taken away from it (along with my own research, because these are also basically my top two schools) is that their placement/reputation are very very similar.

I would say go visit the two, and base your decision off that. Any difference that you may find in employment stats is going to be small at best.


Thanks, checked out some of the threads involving the two schools...I think I'm leaning towards W&L right now, but we'll see.

lawschooliseasy
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:13 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby lawschooliseasy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:44 am

They gave me a nice scholarship, so I'm definitely considering it. I'm a bit concerned that the campus will be extremely claustrophobic, though. The population is barely over 7,000.

cpboy77
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:30 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby cpboy77 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:41 pm

I too got a decent scholarship offer from W&L and have concerns about the size of Lexington and its (lack of) proximity to anything that resembles a city.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this and other issues regarding W & L (their reputation with biglaw in DC, their international law program, etc).

User avatar
Gunners87
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:27 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Gunners87 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:44 pm

cpboy77 wrote:I too got a decent scholarship offer from W&L and have concerns about the size of Lexington and its (lack of) proximity to anything that resembles a city.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this and other issues regarding W & L (their reputation with biglaw in DC, their international law program, etc).


+1, I have lived near Philly for the past few years for undergrad so I'm also skeptical about the location.

User avatar
SAE
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby SAE » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:45 pm

cpboy77 wrote:I too got a decent scholarship offer from W&L and have concerns about the size of Lexington and its (lack of) proximity to anything that resembles a city.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this and other issues regarding W & L (their reputation with biglaw in DC, their international law program, etc).

+2

Would love to find out before I go to the ASW.

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby jmhendri » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:46 pm

cpboy77 wrote:I too got a decent scholarship offer from W&L and have concerns about the size of Lexington and its (lack of) proximity to anything that resembles a city.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this and other issues regarding W & L (their reputation with biglaw in DC, their international law program, etc).



+1

thoreau
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:45 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby thoreau » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:35 pm

went and visited this summer, loved the small town and the school. Coming from a big city, it will be a nice change for a few years, although I definitely don't see myself staying in a small town post graduation. I also think the honor system there is really unique, and overall to me it just seems like a wonderful place to spend 3 yrs. I've been accepted to better schools (NYU and Vandy) but I'm 99% sure I'll be in Lexington in the fall. If you're considering attending I'd definitely go visit and go on a tour!

UFLS2013
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby UFLS2013 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:59 pm

UNC vs. Washington and Lee


Thoughts?

User avatar
SAE
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby SAE » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:01 pm

UFLS2013 wrote:UNC vs. Washington and Lee


Thoughts?

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
vandalvideo
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:52 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby vandalvideo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:07 pm

cpboy77 wrote:I too got a decent scholarship offer from W&L and have concerns about the size of Lexington and its (lack of) proximity to anything that resembles a city.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this and other issues regarding W & L (their reputation with biglaw in DC, their international law program, etc).


I think the complaint that X school is in a small city is a bit disingenuous. I mean honestly, how much free time are you really going to have during law school to go to a matinée, opera, concert or other assorted things big city folks do? I'm just fine with five bars, a blockbuster and some Doritos. 8)

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:12 pm

I'd assume you'll have about the same amount of free time in law school as you would with a 9-5 job, with the exception of the week or so before finals and finals themselves. In fact, I'd be shocked if you won't have MORE free time as a student than as a practicing attorney. Thus, what you like for recreational activities should be fairly important. Most people in school recharge themselves doing something they enjoy, and thus their academic success may be partially due to the location of the school.

User avatar
TWoodWil
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:19 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby TWoodWil » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:15 pm

kwhitegocubs wrote:I'd assume you'll have about the same amount of free time in law school as you would with a 9-5 job, with the exception of the week or so before finals and finals themselves. In fact, I'd be shocked if you won't have MORE free time as a student than as a practicing attorney. Thus, what you like for recreational activities should be fairly important. Most people in school recharge themselves doing something they enjoy, and thus their academic success may be partially due to the location of the school.


Not to mention that it would be more difficult to network with potential employers due to said small town's relative isolation.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, JosefK, potterotter, tangers91 and 29 guests