Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
misformafia

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby misformafia » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:00 pm

For sure. It gets your hopes up. It's not that uncommon, I think UCI did that accidentally last year. Just try to realize how early it is, and how far ahead of the game you are.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:01 pm

misformafia wrote:For sure. It gets your hopes up. It's not that uncommon, I think UCI did that accidentally last year. Just try to realize how early it is, and how far ahead of the game you are.

haha very true! Oh welllllll.

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:42 pm

It isn't so much that I don't know this early, as it is I thought I knew and now have this anticipation built up. Have they made decisions at all? Is my status correct? It is those questions that make this so annoying. I don't care if they wait until December, but tell us that.

When I spoke to the lady on the phone, she said if my status still said "decision made and mailed" on Monday, then it was likely correct...

Now we play the waiting game...

tram988

Postby tram988 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:44 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:It isn't so much that I don't know this early, as it is I thought I knew and now have this anticipation built up. Have they made decisions at all? Is my status correct? It is those questions that make this so annoying. I don't care if they wait until December, but tell us that.

When I spoke to the lady on the phone, she said if my status still said "decision made and mailed" on Monday, then it was likely correct...

Now we play the waiting game...

Ok so we shall wait for monday!

sckon

Postby sckon » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:21 pm

I think I can officially join this thread now that I have applied.

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:26 pm

Anyone still have a "decision made" status still up?

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:33 pm

I some questions for people who applied to Washington and Lee.

What made you decide to apply there?

I was wondering because William and Mary (WM) is supposedly "better," yet is not ranked that much higher.

Did you are all apply to WM too?

If so, which one would have preference? (and why)

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:55 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:Anyone still have a "decision made" status still up?

Mine is. Hope it's real, but after Friday I'm not trusting it till I get something in the mail.

Unadilla Kayaker

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:02 pm

After reading this thread, I think everyone needs to exercise a bit more patience. I wish status checkers were 100% correct, and I wish they always have good news, but they simply don't. Calling the school to see when your app was mailed, etc. is wasting someone's time in the admissions office. Even an e-mail on most things are too much. I've applied to 17 schools and have still heard nothing from five after two weeks. I'm not gonna even consider e-mailing until three weeks have gone by, may call if I don't get response to the e-mail after a month from my application date. I'd rather they just get your decisions done sooner than check my file 17 times a day.

Generally, I have to trust the process. I know students applying to other types of grad programs and their systems are much less centralized and easy to navigate, complete, and monitor.

I got my first rejection on Thursday from UVA. I watched a bunch of people get into W&M on Friday. I read part of this thread then and part now. Things will happen for us all. I am very nervous but not about status checkers or acceptances. This thread got way too much play for nothing happening (save for the IT screw-up).

Just a thought.

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:07 pm

Unadilla Kayaker wrote:After reading this thread, I think everyone needs to exercise a bit more patience. I wish status checkers were 100% correct, and I wish they always have good news, but they simply don't. Calling the school to see when your app was mailed, etc. is wasting someone's time in the admissions office. Even an e-mail on most things are too much. I've applied to 17 schools and have still heard nothing from five after two weeks. I'm not gonna even consider e-mailing until three weeks have gone by, may call if I don't get response to the e-mail after a month from my application date. I'd rather they just get your decisions done sooner than check my file 17 times a day.

Generally, I have to trust the process. I know students applying to other types of grad programs and their systems are much less centralized and easy to navigate, complete, and monitor.

I got my first rejection on Thursday from UVA. I watched a bunch of people get into W&M on Friday. I read part of this thread then and part now. Things will happen for us all. I am very nervous but not about status checkers or acceptances. This thread got way too much play for nothing happening (save for the IT screw-up).

Just a thought.

My sympathies on the UVA rejection. With your numbers, I know you will get in somewhere good.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:10 pm

Unadilla Kayaker wrote:After reading this thread, I think everyone needs to exercise a bit more patience. I wish status checkers were 100% correct, and I wish they always have good news, but they simply don't. Calling the school to see when your app was mailed, etc. is wasting someone's time in the admissions office. Even an e-mail on most things are too much. I've applied to 17 schools and have still heard nothing from five after two weeks. I'm not gonna even consider e-mailing until three weeks have gone by, may call if I don't get response to the e-mail after a month from my application date. I'd rather they just get your decisions done sooner than check my file 17 times a day.

Just a thought.

I hear you. I was recently waitlisted at UVA

gregw8705

Postby gregw8705 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:31 pm

Everybody just chill. It sucks getting your hopes up and realizing you'll have to wait a little longer to find out if you were admitted, but it's not a big deal. This is their first year with the status checker, and they're trying to provide a service to you that my class never got. It would, of course, be great if there had been no error whatsoever, but mistakes happen.

Try not to obsess over the admissions process, as hard as that sounds. It's not as though any school will be giving you a 15 minute window to accept your admission and you must be there to respond immediately. Take a break, go for a walk, play some video games, drink a beer, go meet men/women and take them on a date, or do something else that's relaxing, beneficial, or fun. Challenge yourself to go a day without checking any status checkers. It's still way too soon for all of you to have your entire lives consumed by law school. Law school will consume your entire life in due time, so just enjoy life before law school. This is not to say law school's bad or isn't fun, but spending all your time wrapped up in whether your decision's made and mailed isn't good for mental health so go do something fun instead.

Unadilla Kayaker

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:59 pm

TruckerD wrote:

Just a thought.

My sympathies on the UVA rejection. With your numbers, I know you will get in somewhere good.

Thanks. I'm not extremely worried. If I don't get into one of the other 16 schools I applied to, then I will just conclude that law school is not for me. In the meantime, I have a thesis to write so I can go home (meaning back to the USA).

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:17 pm

Well this is kind of a late response, but I actually went to visit W&L Friday. (It's not that far from where I am from, so I thought it'd be cool to go see the campus and see if I could even imagine myself going someplace so small.)

Of course I got the e-mail/status checker on my phone while I was in the law school, so it kinda effed with my mind a little bit. At the end of my tour I had a one on one with the assistant dean of admissions, and he pretty much just said that this was the first time they have ever had a status checker and there were some kinks that had to be worked out.

I didn't want to push him on the subject, but the impression I got is that some decisions have in fact been made and have been mailed. He also told me to continue to check the status checker because it might have a little bit more than "decision made" in the next day or two.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:30 pm

Rowinguy2009 wrote:Well this is kind of a late response, but I actually went to visit W&L Friday. (It's not that far from where I am from, so I thought it'd be cool to go see the campus and see if I could even imagine myself going someplace so small.)

Of course I got the e-mail/status checker on my phone while I was in the law school, so it kinda effed with my mind a little bit. At the end of my tour I had a one on one with the assistant dean of admissions, and he pretty much just said that this was the first time they have ever had a status checker and there were some kinks that had to be worked out.

I didn't want to push him on the subject, but the impression I got is that some decisions have in fact been made and have been mailed. He also told me to continue to check the status checker because it might have a little bit more than "decision made" in the next day or two.

Ok this slightly confirms my hypothesis. Many individuals on this site went from complete to decision mailed and were subsequently changed back. Some people, including myself, have not been changed back. I'm wondering if maybe for the people who currently have the decision mailed status if it is indeed correct. Tomorrow will tell. :D

lol watch we all get changed back tomorrow ;p

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:14 am

tram988 wrote:
Rowinguy2009 wrote:Well this is kind of a late response, but I actually went to visit W&L Friday. (It's not that far from where I am from, so I thought it'd be cool to go see the campus and see if I could even imagine myself going someplace so small.)

Ok this slightly confirms my hypothesis. Many individuals on this site went from complete to decision mailed and were subsequently changed back. Some people, including myself, have not been changed back. I'm wondering if maybe for the people who currently have the decision mailed status if it is indeed correct. Tomorrow will tell. :D

lol watch we all get changed back tomorrow ;p

ooo this makes me excited for tomorrow! or maybe it will be a :( day

wired

Postby wired » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:19 am

As of 10:20 EST, my status checker still indicates my acceptance letter is in the mail.

I will update everybody after working hours if it has changed.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:20 am

wired wrote:As of 10:20 EST, my status checker still indicates my acceptance letter is in the mail.

+1

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:27 am

I called last Friday and was told to call back on Monday. Just got off the phone with them this morning and the lady told me they were in a meeting about it now and will be sending out another email today.

So once again, we wait and hope.

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:36 am

anyone going to prospective student day?

tram988

Postby tram988 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:40 am

UTaylor526 wrote:I called last Friday and was told to call back on Monday. Just got off the phone with them this morning and the lady told me they were in a meeting about it now and will be sending out another email today.

So once again, we wait and hope.

Another email...my God!!!

hypermeganet

Postby hypermeganet » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:03 pm

I decided against W&L's prospective student day. I'm going to spend the day at Fordham instead.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:57 pm

wired wrote:As of 10:20 EST, my status checker still indicates my acceptance letter is in the mail.

acceptance letter?

mine just says that a decision has been mailed, not what that decision entails.

wired

Postby wired » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:06 pm

Just got the email from W&L...

As of a result of a coding error, some applicants whose files have not yet been considered were incorrectly given the status “Decision Rendered/Letter Mailed.” This situation has now been successfully resolved, and accurate file status is visible today. However, for some of you, the correction will result in a current status date that may not exactly comport with your file completion date. This incongruity should not be an issue going forward. We are very sorry for our error, and we would like to thank you for your patience as we worked through these issues.

So it seems like if you are still "Letter mailed" you can expect something sometime soon. Otherwise, it looks like you will have to hold on and wait a little longer.

wired

Postby wired » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:08 pm

Veritas wrote:

acceptance letter?

mine just says that a decision has been mailed, not what that decision entails.

Miswrote there. Sorry about that. It should be "Decision" as opposed to "Acceptance."

There's my hubris manifesting itself subconsciously. :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”