Washington and Lee Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dclaw

New

Re: Washington and Lee

Post by dclaw » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:26 am

quadsixm, if you move to lexington and then get off the GW/WUSTL waitlist would you go??

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:41 am

For those of you who are covering most of your expenses with loans, when you looked at the amount due on that e-mail it actually listed the amount of money the school owes you (because of the loans you are owed to cover living expenses), correct?

And if this was the case, did it only list what you are owed for the fall semester?

Fergie

New

Post by Fergie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:08 am

quadsixm - I feel your pain.

I'm also a west-coaster/on a million waitlists still/afraid to put down a deposit and afraid NOT to put down a deposit on a place/I have a car (but with no ac) and everyone thinks I might be crazy for attempting to drive it across Texes in the middle of summer in that condition - not to mention its older than I)

Don't be overwhelmed - it'll be OK. I get the feeling the Southern Charm we're not used might help us out here.

Also - New places for rent are popping up every week in Lex - I think we'll have no trouble finding a place. I'm even thinking of living at Woods Creek just so I don't have to stress about furniture (although that gives me anxiety - what if my roommates suck/are messy/are 22 yr old frat boys/watch a lot of TV and get me hooked to some reality show when I should be studying/etc??

Doodsmack

Bronze

Post by Doodsmack » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:48 am

Rowinguy2009 wrote: when you looked at the amount due on that e-mail it actually listed the amount of money the school owes you (because of the loans you are owed to cover living expenses), correct?
Definitely not.

dclaw

New

Post by dclaw » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:05 pm

fergie, have you followed up with the other waitlists? i heard a lot of things happen last minute.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

itzbouttime

New

Post by itzbouttime » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:35 pm

Rowinguy2009 wrote:For those of you who are covering most of your expenses with loans, when you looked at the amount due on that e-mail it actually listed the amount of money the school owes you (because of the loans you are owed to cover living expenses), correct?

And if this was the case, did it only list what you are owed for the fall semester?
Yes you are correct. In the email, if the amount is inside a parenthesis then that means it is a credit and not money you owe. Yes to your other questions as well. That credit is only for the fall semester. You will receive another just like it for the spring.

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:59 pm

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fergie

New

Post by Fergie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:19 pm

dclaw wrote:fergie, have you followed up with the other waitlists? i heard a lot of things happen last minute.
Yeah - I'm hanging in there - verging on harrassment. Thats the problem. Last minute = expensive once I've bought a flight/put down a housing deposit.

I'm thrilled to be going to W&L and think its a great fit. BUT if a T14 calls - I feel compelled to take it.

SpaceDawg

Bronze

Post by SpaceDawg » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:19 pm

Question:

Does the school receive payment for the tuition directly from our loans or do we receive the full amount (tuition and COL) and then we pay the school?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SpaceDawg

Bronze

Post by SpaceDawg » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:23 pm

quadsixm wrote:Guys, I'm totally freaking out... To be frank, I was hoping to get off of the WLs at GW or WUSTL, and now that is looking increasingly unlikely.

Now I am stuck all the way on the West Coast and am completely overwhelmed by the logistics of moving to VA.... I really need some help.

- I don't have housing yet. And I'm not sure if I will be able to secure an apartment. Is there still student housing available? If by some freak chance I get into another school at the last minute, can I ditch my housing deposit without penalty?

- I don't have a car. How will I get from Roanoke to Lexington? Are there shuttles or some kind of transportation running? When I want to buy a car (probably in Roanoke), how will I get there?

- I have boxes to ship - but I don't have a place to ship them. Anybody have suggestions? If any of you could do me a huge favor and let me ship to your place, PM me please!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much guys!

Also, you can contact people at The Lexington Company http://www.welcome2lexington.com/. I believe they have some of their apartment listings on their site.

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:47 pm

dclaw wrote:quadsixm, if you move to lexington and then get off the GW/WUSTL waitlist would you go??
If I get into WUSTL, I probably would - I have a long-term significant other that is moving to STL and she's a pretty large factor in my decision.

GW, maybe - at least it's a short hop away. The last thing I want to do, though, is break a lease - My sister broke a lease a year ago, and they're still hunting her down the remaining 8 months of rent.
Last edited by quadsixm on Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:48 pm

[]
Last edited by quadsixm on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dclaw

New

Post by dclaw » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:20 pm

maybe just do the on campus housing and then you dont need to worry about breaking a lease...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:15 pm

SpaceDawg wrote:Question:

Does the school receive payment for the tuition directly from our loans or do we receive the full amount (tuition and COL) and then we pay the school?
I was told that tuition and fees were taken out and we got what was left.

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:11 pm

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:15 pm

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:51 pm

Thought I would share with you guys sweating the W&L waitlist... last year I rode the waitlist hard all summer long (e-mailing to check in every few weeks or so, visiting a few times, having an informal interview, etc.) with a mid-low 160s LSAT and a low 3ish GPA...

The Thursday before orientation (a Monday) started, I received an e-mail asking me if I still wanted to come but letting me know they couldn't offer any scholly $$. It wasn't a "formal" offer per se, but I didn't know of anyone on TLS who got one of those e-mails and was not accepted after indicating he/she still wanted to come (likely to protect yield numbers they feel W/L'd candidates out first). I declined the offer as I was already moved in for my other school, but there is hope up until the last minute... even with a small class size. I know plenty of people who got off the w/l late.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:18 am

apper123 wrote:Thought I would share with you guys sweating the W&L waitlist... last year I rode the waitlist hard all summer long (e-mailing to check in every few weeks or so, visiting a few times, having an informal interview, etc.) with a mid-low 160s LSAT and a low 3ish GPA...

The Thursday before orientation (a Monday) started, I received an e-mail asking me if I still wanted to come but letting me know they couldn't offer any scholly $$. It wasn't a "formal" offer per se, but I didn't know of anyone on TLS who got one of those e-mails and was not accepted after indicating he/she still wanted to come (likely to protect yield numbers they feel W/L'd candidates out first). I declined the offer as I was already moved in for my other school, but there is hope up until the last minute... even with a small class size. I know plenty of people who got off the w/l late.

Man. I love apper. So true. I got in off the WL August 8th. Best decision I ever made to accept.

Georgia23

New

Post by Georgia23 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:28 am

currently, still waitlisted and have been doing everything. any other suggestions? starting to get nervous...

mastapeacock

New

Post by mastapeacock » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:48 pm

For anyone (quadixm) who's going West to East... I'm driving from Sacramento to L.A., stopping in the O.C. to see my nephew, and then heading East in an SUV. I can add some boxes if need be, and passengers with drivers' licenses and the ability to chip in for gas are appreciated. I'm going to be carrying Dubs, an LCD tv, and a couple duffel bags, but I should be able to fit some things in.

I was planning on taking the Colorado Kansas Missouri blah blah Lexington route, but I can also take the New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma, up to Missouri and through a few states to Lex route (same length)

If anyone wants to carpool or caravan, holler. 530-424-8654. I'm leaving at some undefined time, but I have to be back in Lex by the 20th so I can move people into Woods Creek.

megaTTTron, have my babies. I'm leaving the Barackillery screenplay to Mungie and Skyddz since Skydz's got screenwriting in his blood. I also miss you. Mustard.

mastapeacock

New

Post by mastapeacock » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:49 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
apper123 wrote:Thought I would share with you guys sweating the W&L waitlist... last year I rode the waitlist hard all summer long (e-mailing to check in every few weeks or so, visiting a few times, having an informal interview, etc.) with a mid-low 160s LSAT and a low 3ish GPA...

Man. I love apper. So true. I got in off the WL August 8th. Best decision I ever made to accept.
It's true. He became my roommate. I changed him.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:50 pm

mastapeacock wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:

Two words assface: Beard. Suck.

mastapeacock

New

Post by mastapeacock » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:30 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
mastapeacock wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:

Two words assface: Beard. Suck.
mmmmmmm.... mustaarrd.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:08 am

love fest itt

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:34 pm

Guys, will be withdrawing shortly. Hope one of you TLS'ers waiting it out gets my spot!

W&L is an awesome school, and getting accepted was a very proud moment for me. I'm still glad I bought all that gear at ASW. Go Generals and best wishes to all of you!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”