Washington and Lee Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GymTanLawSchool

New

Re: Washington and Lee

Post by GymTanLawSchool » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:00 pm

+1 Waitlisted as well. Probably going to admitted students weekend. I just finished my UM admitted students weekend and was almost 100% going there. This is a curveball for sure.

statuscheckerssuck

Bronze

Post by statuscheckerssuck » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:02 pm

sailgclass wrote:
statuscheckerssuck wrote:So for those of you guys who are attending the ASW this weekend-- when are you getting into town? I will be there fairly early in the afternoon because I am checking out some places to live, but I definitely would like to meet up for dinner if there are people there before the coffee thing starts.
I'm scheduled to attend and I will be there barring an acceptance from unc. I'll probably arrive mid afternoon and would be in for meeting some people for dinner and drinks.
What would be the best way to organize this? Just pm'ing phone numbers and names? Anyone that was there for the first weekend have any recommendations for dinner spots?

cpboy77

New

Post by cpboy77 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:19 pm

Attending W&L law in the fall! It feels good to have made a decision. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

pugalicious

Bronze

Post by pugalicious » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:25 pm

rockababy123 wrote:Waitlisted today DR 3/29! I'm so excited to even be waitlisted, not expecting this one! Does anyone know if the preview day on April 9th is only for Waitlisted students? Is anyone on here planning on going?
I'm going to waitlisted students day...taking a few days to visit some Virginia-area schools (I live in AZ). Seems like it is only for waitlisted students, based on the information they've sent so far.

whatchootalkinbout

Bronze

Post by whatchootalkinbout » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:27 pm

statuscheckerssuck wrote:
sailgclass wrote:
statuscheckerssuck wrote:So for those of you guys who are attending the ASW this weekend-- when are you getting into town? I will be there fairly early in the afternoon because I am checking out some places to live, but I definitely would like to meet up for dinner if there are people there before the coffee thing starts.
I'm scheduled to attend and I will be there barring an acceptance from unc. I'll probably arrive mid afternoon and would be in for meeting some people for dinner and drinks.
What would be the best way to organize this? Just pm'ing phone numbers and names? Anyone that was there for the first weekend have any recommendations for dinner spots?
I'll probably get to Lex around mid-afternoon as well. As for places to eat, Macados, The Bistro, and The Palms are great casual places to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jaxangler

New

Post by jaxangler » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:34 pm

Southern Inn is another great place to eat in Lexington.

cpboy77

New

Post by cpboy77 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:46 pm

jaxangler wrote:Southern Inn is another great place to eat in Lexington.
+1. That place was excellent.

whatchootalkinbout

Bronze

Post by whatchootalkinbout » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:49 pm

jaxangler wrote:Southern Inn is another great place to eat in Lexington.
I haven't eaten there yet but have heard great things about it.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:59 am

eandy wrote:
algren wrote:New to this thread. I just had a quick question:

Does W&L notify you of admission through the status checker, or do you just get the "letter mailed" thing and then wait to see?

I see "Decision mailed" on 3/11 in my checker, but wasn't sure if it was like Tulane where that means, "Denied."
I think it means waitlist. We all seem to have 164s and 165s(the 3/11 mailed crowd). People have been getting admit and reject emails but WLs have all be snail.
This may provide an answer for those of us whose status checkers have just changed. It seems that there's no method to W & L's madness.

I heard from a friend that W & L is sending out large "packets", which may/may not be true. She was in an early March batch. Maybe that's what's holding up the 3/24 and 3/26 batches...they are preparing the packets with scholarship offers, housing info, immunization forms and such. It is a little later in the cycle, so they have reason to do it all at once these days. Just being optomistic. :wink: Or it could be a mixed bag of all three decisions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:06 pm

PDaddy wrote:
eandy wrote:

Does W&L notify you of admission through the status checker, or do you just get the "letter mailed" thing and then wait to see?

I see "Decision mailed" on 3/11 in my checker, but wasn't sure if it was like Tulane where that means, "Denied."
I think it means waitlist. We all seem to have 164s and 165s(the 3/11 mailed crowd). People have been getting admit and reject emails but WLs have all be snail.
This may provide an answer for those of us whose status checkers have just changed. It seems that there's no method to W & L's madness.

I heard from a friend that W & L is sending out large "packets", which may/may not be true. She was in an early March batch. Maybe that's what's holding up the 3/24 and 3/26 batches...they are preparing the packets with scholarship offers, housing info, immunization forms and such. It is a little later in the cycle, so they have reason to do it all at once these days. Just being optomistic. :wink: Or it could be a mixed bag of all three decisions.
I got mine in early March. It was just an envelope with an email.

Modian

New

Post by Modian » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:19 pm

3/24 here. Ding. On the West Coast also.

seattlite

New

Post by seattlite » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:21 pm

PDaddy wrote:
eandy wrote:

I got my 3/24 decision yesterday (I am on the west coast). Mine was a rejection. Best of luck to everyone still waiting...hoping it was a mixed bag so that everyone doesn't get the same ding I did.

BTW, does anyone else think that W&L's rejection letter was kind of different / strange (rather than say how competitive it was to get in based on the unparalleled number of applicants, they talked about their admissions criteria like "subjective factors such as leadership, work experience, and commitment to service as well as academic achievements and standardized test scores")? Well, I know that my GPA is lower than some out there (because since I graduated there has been huge grade inflation and the concept of an A+ was developed...didn't exist when I graduated in the mid-90s). I also have leadership, work experience, and volunteer activities which are extensive and solid (I have worked for 10+ years in the legal profession and have held / hold numerous executive positions on volunteer committees and have many other credentials). As a non-traditional student, I thought this letter was kind of strange and definitely not kind - it sort of seemed mean (like we didn't find your subjective factors interesting or compelling...rather than saying just you didn't have the numbers). Anyway, let me know if you felt similarly about the rejection letter...for those of you unfortunate enough to get one. :(

prelaw10

New

Post by prelaw10 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:24 pm

3/24, East Coast/New England... still no mail. It's raining A LOT here, flooding, really. So maybe that's the hold-up. You know what means of communication doesn't get held up by weather? e-mail, status checker..

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jaxangler

New

Post by jaxangler » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:26 pm

seattlite wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
eandy wrote:

I got my 3/24 decision yesterday (I am on the west coast). Mine was a rejection. Best of luck to everyone still waiting...hoping it was a mixed bag so that everyone doesn't get the same ding I did.

BTW, does anyone else think that W&L's rejection letter was kind of different / strange (rather than say how competitive it was to get in based on the unparalleled number of applicants, they talked about their admissions criteria like "subjective factors such as leadership, work experience, and commitment to service as well as academic achievements and standardized test scores")? Well, I know that my GPA is lower than some out there (because since I graduated there has been huge grade inflation and the concept of an A+ was developed...didn't exist when I graduated in the mid-90s). I also have leadership, work experience, and volunteer activities which are extensive and solid (I have worked for 10+ years in the legal profession and have held / hold numerous executive positions on volunteer committees and have many other credentials). As a non-traditional student, I thought this letter was kind of strange and definitely not kind - it sort of seemed mean (like we didn't find your subjective factors interesting or compelling...rather than saying just you didn't have the numbers). Anyway, let me know if you felt similarly about the rejection letter...for those of you unfortunate enough to get one. :(
I didn't receive a rejection letter, and I am sorry to hear your news. I think that W&L is just stating that they try to take a holistic approach to the application process. I don't think they were saying your softs weren't compelling enough, just that instead of looking solely at numbers, they try to look at a candidates complete body of work. Once again I am sorry to hear your news and wish you the best of luck in your cycle.

seattlite

New

Post by seattlite » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:20 pm

jaxangler wrote: I didn't receive a rejection letter, and I am sorry to hear your news. I think that W&L is just stating that they try to take a holistic approach to the application process. I don't think they were saying your softs weren't compelling enough, just that instead of looking solely at numbers, they try to look at a candidates complete body of work. Once again I am sorry to hear your news and wish you the best of luck in your cycle.
Thanks, jaxangler! I am still waiting to hear from my top choice, and I am hoping that there will be positive news there soon. :) I am also on a couple of waitlists for top 30 schools that I would be very honored to attend if accepted. I got into my safety with a reasonable scholarship but a pretty stringent renewable criteria - top 25%, and it is a good school in my region...I was also very impressed with my safety's Admitted Student Day. I also have a job that pays me a lot of money (but has no room for career advancement)...so while I have options, I feel like there is a lot up in the air. I keep praying that I will get into my dream school very, very soon.

Best of luck to you as well. Thanks for the kind words! Any idea where you are going to land? I will try to update you on where I land when I have more information (less balls up in the air). :wink:

RonArtest

New

Post by RonArtest » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:28 pm

prelaw10 wrote:3/24, East Coast/New England... still no mail. It's raining A LOT here, flooding, really. So maybe that's the hold-up. You know what means of communication doesn't get held up by weather? e-mail, status checker..
I'm in NC, about 4 hours from Lexington and I haven't gotten mine yet either. It's hard to believe that it has taken this long unless they didn't actually go out until after the 24th. Anyway, I'm 99.9% certain it's a rejection so I'm not looking forward to getting it but I thought you might want to know it is taking forever for me to get mine as well and I'm closer than you.

Bobalou

Bronze

Post by Bobalou » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:36 pm

I'm ITCHING to call. I have a 3/26 complete date, no indication of DR. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! :?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:13 pm

Bobalou wrote:I'm ITCHING to call. I have a 3/26 complete date, no indication of DR. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! :?
you've been complete for 4 days . . . calm down sonny

Bobalou

Bronze

Post by Bobalou » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:28 pm

adh07d wrote:
Bobalou wrote:I'm ITCHING to call. I have a 3/26 complete date, no indication of DR. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! :?
Thanks, that was the updated complete date...was at 1/27 forever.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:35 pm

dk8 wrote:
I got mine in early March. It was just an envelope with an email.
I totally believe you. This person got her news over the phone from her parents in Chicago; she's in Champaign (IL). I asked her if it was a full packet or just an envelope, and she told me it was a packet. But she also got into other schools, so it could have been a mistake in communication between her and her parents. I'm going to call and ask her to get her parents to look at it again. She claims the mail is funny at her UG so she didn't have it forwarded to her there.
seattlite wrote:

You should feel good about that. At least they aren't relying on numbers alone, and I think that's what we all want, especially if we don't have 3.9/175. The person I know, a UIUC 2010 grad had a 3.1/154 and got in with $$. Take solace in knowing that W & L actually walks the walk of holistic admissions. Most schools don't.
Last edited by PDaddy on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:27 pm

Bobalou wrote:
adh07d wrote:
Thanks, that was the updated complete date...was at 1/27 forever.

Im complete 11/06...calm down my friend.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rockababy123

New

Post by rockababy123 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:47 pm

Love the 'tar!

itzbouttime

New

Post by itzbouttime » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:48 pm

cpboy77 wrote:Attending W&L law in the fall! It feels good to have made a decision. Good luck to everyone still waiting.
Awesome! Congrats and welcome aboard:D

NYVA311

Bronze

Post by NYVA311 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:09 pm

LOL someone got their 3/24 letter yesterday on the west coast? I'm 1 hour from W&L and haven't gotten mine yet. There's no way they sent them all out at the same time. That gives me hope that it's a mixed batch and they're sending different decisions out on different days.

RonArtest

New

Post by RonArtest » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:59 pm

NYVA311 wrote:LOL someone got their 3/24 letter yesterday on the west coast? I'm 1 hour from W&L and haven't gotten mine yet. There's no way they sent them all out at the same time. That gives me hope that it's a mixed batch and they're sending different decisions out on different days.

Nothing new for me today (4 hours away). I hope you're right.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”