Washington and Lee Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ndirish2010

Gold

Re: Washington and Lee

Post by ndirish2010 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:00 am

When did the people that got offers today get accepted?

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:20 am

I personally got accepted in early November. I've seen posts earlier in this thread from people who got accepted earlier in the week who got $ today

waxloaf

Bronze

Post by waxloaf » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:24 am

yeah, i was one of the earlier in the week folks, applied on sunday, they sent a letter on tuesday, i got my acceptance letter yesterday and got my scholarship info today, needless to say I am surprised at the speed they are showing down in VA

krispykitten

Bronze

Post by krispykitten » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:29 am

$24k/yr which puts their tuition tied at W&M w/a scholly there for 8k/yr. I may see if I can try and leverage that towards more $$ at W&L, but honestly this whole 3rd year program still scares me. Could be cool, could totally flop-- and if it flops, I'm not sure I want to be aboard that boat for the rest of my life... but hey, we'll see.

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:19 am

Thank you for that piece of advice waxloaf. Helped
me put it in perspective. Barring some unforseen circumstance, I think I will be in Lexington this august.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

krispykitten

Bronze

Post by krispykitten » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:28 am

Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waxloaf

Bronze

Post by waxloaf » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:55 am

Rowinguy2009 wrote:Thank you for that piece of advice waxloaf. Helped
me put it in perspective. Barring some unforseen circumstance, I think I will be in Lexington this august.
Good Luck, maybe I'll be down there with you. I think if you are good enough to deserve that scholarship you will be just fine staying above the median.

ewc227

New

Post by ewc227 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:25 pm

I also got an email last friday with a scholarship offer of 34k, but im withdrawing. best of luck!!!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:28 pm

EDIT: Found it in my inbox, I'm an idiot. 34K a year! I'm really excited, thanks W&L!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UTaylor526

Bronze

Post by UTaylor526 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:11 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:If I didn't hear Friday, should I assume I'm not getting a scholarship offer? I'd be really disappointed as I would very much like to consider W&L.
I agree with you. However, I wouldn't say that if you didn't get one Friday you are completely out of luck. Yes, you will not likely get a full ride but as some people who did get them withdraw (especially after the April 15 first deposit deadline) you may see some money reallocated.

You simply have to decide which school is your top choice regardless of money. If you will only consider W&L if you get money, then yes it is probably no longer a consideration.

My plan is simply to beg for money during the ASD. :)

umichgrad

Bronze

Post by umichgrad » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:04 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:
virginiagirl55 wrote:34,000/year. will also likely be withdrawing. have similar offers from MUCH better schools.
Way to snub your nose.

You should talk, T14. You're rude as fuck.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:20 am

How would people compare W&L's placement in DC (biglaw and otherwise) to W&M's? I'm weighing offers from both schools (they would be my final two if my cycle ended today, but still a long way to go), 17.2/yr for W&M and 34/yr for W&L...I think this would make W&L cheaper by a decent amount. My hunch is that these schools are seen pretty equally in reputation around the DC area, is this right?

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:24 am

ndirish2010 wrote:How would people compare W&L's placement in DC (biglaw and otherwise) to W&M's? I'm weighing offers from both schools (they would be my final two if my cycle ended today, but still a long way to go), 17.2/yr for W&M and 34/yr for W&L...I think this would make W&L cheaper by a decent amount. My hunch is that these schools are seen pretty equally in reputation around the DC area, is this right?
There's a william and mary vs washington and lee thread that discusses this in length. What I have taken away from it (along with my own research, because these are also basically my top two schools) is that their placement/reputation are very very similar.

I would say go visit the two, and base your decision off that. Any difference that you may find in employment stats is going to be small at best.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:41 am

Rowinguy2009 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:How would people compare W&L's placement in DC (biglaw and otherwise) to W&M's? I'm weighing offers from both schools (they would be my final two if my cycle ended today, but still a long way to go), 17.2/yr for W&M and 34/yr for W&L...I think this would make W&L cheaper by a decent amount. My hunch is that these schools are seen pretty equally in reputation around the DC area, is this right?
There's a william and mary vs washington and lee thread that discusses this in length. What I have taken away from it (along with my own research, because these are also basically my top two schools) is that their placement/reputation are very very similar.

I would say go visit the two, and base your decision off that. Any difference that you may find in employment stats is going to be small at best.
Thanks, checked out some of the threads involving the two schools...I think I'm leaning towards W&L right now, but we'll see.

lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Post by lawschooliseasy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:44 am

They gave me a nice scholarship, so I'm definitely considering it. I'm a bit concerned that the campus will be extremely claustrophobic, though. The population is barely over 7,000.

cpboy77

New

Post by cpboy77 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:41 pm

I too got a decent scholarship offer from W&L and have concerns about the size of Lexington and its (lack of) proximity to anything that resembles a city.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this and other issues regarding W & L (their reputation with biglaw in DC, their international law program, etc).

Gunners87

New

Post by Gunners87 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:44 pm

cpboy77 wrote:I too got a decent scholarship offer from W&L and have concerns about the size of Lexington and its (lack of) proximity to anything that resembles a city.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this and other issues regarding W & L (their reputation with biglaw in DC, their international law program, etc).
+1, I have lived near Philly for the past few years for undergrad so I'm also skeptical about the location.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:45 pm

cpboy77 wrote:I too got a decent scholarship offer from W&L and have concerns about the size of Lexington and its (lack of) proximity to anything that resembles a city.

+2

Would love to find out before I go to the ASW.

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:46 pm

+1

thoreau

New

Post by thoreau » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:35 pm

went and visited this summer, loved the small town and the school. Coming from a big city, it will be a nice change for a few years, although I definitely don't see myself staying in a small town post graduation. I also think the honor system there is really unique, and overall to me it just seems like a wonderful place to spend 3 yrs. I've been accepted to better schools (NYU and Vandy) but I'm 99% sure I'll be in Lexington in the fall. If you're considering attending I'd definitely go visit and go on a tour!

UFLS2013

New

Post by UFLS2013 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:59 pm

UNC vs. Washington and Lee

Thoughts?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:01 pm

UFLS2013 wrote:UNC vs. Washington and Lee

Thoughts?
--ImageRemoved--

vandalvideo

Bronze

Post by vandalvideo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:07 pm

I think the complaint that X school is in a small city is a bit disingenuous. I mean honestly, how much free time are you really going to have during law school to go to a matinée, opera, concert or other assorted things big city folks do? I'm just fine with five bars, a blockbuster and some Doritos. 8)

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:12 pm

I'd assume you'll have about the same amount of free time in law school as you would with a 9-5 job, with the exception of the week or so before finals and finals themselves. In fact, I'd be shocked if you won't have MORE free time as a student than as a practicing attorney. Thus, what you like for recreational activities should be fairly important. Most people in school recharge themselves doing something they enjoy, and thus their academic success may be partially due to the location of the school.

TWoodWil

Bronze

Post by TWoodWil » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:15 pm

kwhitegocubs wrote:I'd assume you'll have about the same amount of free time in law school as you would with a 9-5 job, with the exception of the week or so before finals and finals themselves. In fact, I'd be shocked if you won't have MORE free time as a student than as a practicing attorney. Thus, what you like for recreational activities should be fairly important. Most people in school recharge themselves doing something they enjoy, and thus their academic success may be partially due to the location of the school.
Not to mention that it would be more difficult to network with potential employers due to said small town's relative isolation.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”