Vanderbilt 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dakatz

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby dakatz » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:35 pm

I'm oh so psyched for my pending WL/rejection letter that I will receive today :(

Eazy E

Postby Eazy E » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:53 pm

In! Got the package Saturday night, so it totally took me by suprise.

170/3.7, no interview, DR 1/14

Good luck everyone!

observationalist

Postby observationalist » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:18 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:A little bit off topic but does anyone know where Vandy is in relation to the rest of Nashville ? I am heading down the first week of Feb and would like to have some fun in Nashville but still remain close to campus (early morning meeting/class/tour).

Thanks

I know others have answered this but to put it in a different way: Vandy Law is directly across the street from Taylor Swift's new digs. Nashville's a fun town and we're fortunately at the heart of it. The one part of the city that I'd recommend checking out but that the school isn't near would be East Nashville... it's sort of the hipster part of the city (unless you consider the Belmont area to be hipster because of all the music majors sipping coffees at Bongo Java). Check out show listings on http://www.nashvillescene.com if you're looking for stuff to do, or ask the school if they can pair you up with a current student to stay with and take you out. That's probably the best way to see how the law school community approaches the nightlife around town.

wired

Postby wired » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:21 pm

observationalist wrote:
I know others have answered this but to put it in a different way: Vandy Law is directly across the street from Taylor Swift's new digs.

For female applicants, that means there is a possibility of seeing the werewolf from the Twilight movie.

(Disclaimer: Saw her SNL skit.... do not follow celebrity gossip personally.)

Nat1018

Postby Nat1018 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:21 pm

Eazy E wrote:In! Got the package Saturday night, so it totally took me by suprise.

170/3.7, no interview, DR 1/14

Good luck everyone!

Congratulations! when did you go complete?

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:25 pm

observationalist wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:A little bit off topic but does anyone know where Vandy is in relation to the rest of Nashville ? I am heading down the first week of Feb and would like to have some fun in Nashville but still remain close to campus (early morning meeting/class/tour).

Thanks

I know others have answered this but to put it in a different way: Vandy Law is directly across the street from Taylor Swift's new digs. Nashville's a fun town and we're fortunately at the heart of it. The one part of the city that I'd recommend checking out but that the school isn't near would be East Nashville... it's sort of the hipster part of the city (unless you consider the Belmont area to be hipster because of all the music majors sipping coffees at Bongo Java). Check out show listings on http://www.nashvillescene.com if you're looking for stuff to do, or ask the school if they can pair you up with a current student to stay with and take you out. That's probably the best way to see how the law school community approaches the nightlife around town.

Yea thanks!

Fortunately, Nashville is a (relatively) quick drive from Columbus. I heard Nashville is a great town and expect to have a great time. I won't need to bunk up with a current student (I would feel weird!) and like visiting new citys. Do you get to speak with an adcomm on your visit? The lady I spoke with/emailed was not clear about that. I do get to sit in on a class though-I think Professor Rubin- and I am expecting to fall in love with the school/campus. Too bad I'm a long shot.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:42 pm

I was in the DR 1/12 crew. Outright rejection. Stats are 3.5x/167 URM. On LSN last year, every single URM with those numbers or above got accepted. Glad to see I'm breaking new ground here. And as if my pride wasn't hurt enough by the rejection, underneath it in my stack of mail was a postcard from Cooley. Pretty ironic but oddly poetic way of illustrating how I feel right now.

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:06 pm

dakatz wrote:I was in the DR 1/12 crew. Outright rejection. Stats are 3.5x/167 URM. On LSN last year, every single URM with those numbers or above got accepted. Glad to see I'm breaking new ground here. And as if my pride wasn't hurt enough by the rejection, underneath it in my stack of mail was a postcard from Cooley. Pretty ironic but oddly poetic way of illustrating how I feel right now.

Ouch! That is very surprising. I would've pegged you as a lock. FWIW, you should get fantastic offers elsewhere.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:11 pm

UFMatt wrote:
dakatz wrote:I was in the DR 1/12 crew. Outright rejection. Stats are 3.5x/167 URM. On LSN last year, every single URM with those numbers or above got accepted. Glad to see I'm breaking new ground here. And as if my pride wasn't hurt enough by the rejection, underneath it in my stack of mail was a postcard from Cooley. Pretty ironic but oddly poetic way of illustrating how I feel right now.

Ouch! That is very surprising. I would've pegged you as a lock. FWIW, you should get fantastic offers elsewhere.

Thanks for the encouragement. I guess this rejection isn't too bad. I don't think I would have wanted to go away from the east coast all the way out to Nashville anyway. Its just more of a pride thing to open up the letter and see a rejection. I still have good offers from BU and GW and this doesn't take those away, so I'm not gonna get too down about it. Oh well. Now I have 9 apps pending, 7 of which are among the T14, so there will be some real joy/heartache in my future depending on the outcome of those. Congrats to all the 1/14's who got into Vandy.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:17 pm

Most of us here know how you feel my friend. I think Cooley should be sued for sending out solicitations. Not because the solicitations are annoying, as most of them are - but because receiving mail from Cooley is something akin to harassment, as I honestly believe it is sent for no other purpose but to harangue, humiliate, and degrade applicants to comparatively top schools. If anyone wants to bring a class-action, let me know.

-HL

Still no DM at Vandy.

Eazy E

Postby Eazy E » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm

Nat1018 wrote:

Congratulations! when did you go complete?

Complete 11/10, so don't sweat it if the turnaround is long.

choochoo

Postby choochoo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:13 pm

Sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere already, but does Vanderbilt send mail to your current (I'm still in undergrad) or permanent address? I went decision mailed yesterday and am wondering where I should look for this ding/WL... ha

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:58 pm

I received my WL letter today. DR 1/12. No splitter love.

To the above poster, they mail to your current address.

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:52 pm

Waitlisted today. Will soon be sending in the withdrawal form, so good luck to everyone else.

billyez

Postby billyez » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:14 am

It should be in your Application Complete E-mail. That e-mail should link you to VULS. Sign in and click Application Status. Don't bother checking it too often though. Vanderbilt has been taking a while for almost everybody...but it seems like they're beginning to pick up speed.

GWdawg

Postby GWdawg » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:09 am

DR 1/19, anyone else?

lz06

Postby lz06 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:11 am

Anyone know when scholarship decisions come out?

Integrity

Postby Integrity » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:15 am

I was waitlisted and REALLY want to go. Does Vandy have a reputation for normally taking people of their waitlist?

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:18 am

Integrity wrote:I was waitlisted and REALLY want to go. Does Vandy have a reputation for normally taking people of their waitlist?

yeah they do actually.
extrapolating from lawschoolnumbers.com 30% of waitlisted withdraw without a final decision and 10% of waitlisted are accepted.

Integrity

Postby Integrity » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:22 am

najumobi wrote:
Integrity wrote:I was waitlisted and REALLY want to go. Does Vandy have a reputation for normally taking people of their waitlist?

yeah they do actually.
extrapolating from lawschoolnumbers.com 30% of waitlisted withdraw without a final decision and 10% of waitlisted are accepted.

Thank you so much for the reply! I sent a nice letter back with my waitlist form. Should I send a LOCI discussing a program in detail in a few weeks? I already wrote the personal statement, optional statement, and Why Vandy?. I had a great interview with an alumnus. The only thing is, my LSAT is NOT competitive for Vandy. Yes, my GPA and everything else is stellar. Are they likely to take me (with sincere, consistent interest) but without an improved score? I have registered to take the LSAT for a third time in February, but I'm being realistic (though hopeful). Most similarly ranked schools dinged me.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:45 am

Integrity wrote:
najumobi wrote:

yeah they do actually.

Thank you so much for the reply! I sent a nice letter back with my waitlist form. Should I send a LOCI discussing a program in detail in a few weeks? I already wrote the personal statement, optional statement, and Why Vandy?. I had a great interview with an alumnus. The only thing is, my LSAT is NOT competitive for Vandy. Yes, my GPA and everything else is stellar. Are they likely to take me (with sincere, consistent interest) but without an improved score? I have registered to take the LSAT for a third time in February, but I'm being realistic (though hopeful). Most similarly ranked schools dinged me.

i have no idea what tactic you should use in order to get off the waitlist. if your gpa is above median but your lsat is below, it would definitely help if you retook and got at least a 168.
reverse splitters and traditional splitters seem to be accepted off of the waitlist in equal proportions.

SHARK WEEK!

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:47 am

GWdawg wrote:DR 1/19, anyone else?

Yep. I went DM 1/19 today. What are your stats if you don't mind? I'm at the median for LSAT and slightly under the median for GPA. I did not interview, but I wrote what I hope is a very strong PS. I also have a couple of softs that I think are better than average, but who knows what that means.

Good luck!

SHARK WEEK.

Anyone else?

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:53 am

SHARK WEEK! wrote:
GWdawg wrote:DR 1/19, anyone else?

Yep. I went DM 1/19 today. What are your stats if you don't mind? I'm at the median for LSAT and slightly under the median for GPA. I did not interview, but I wrote what I hope is a very strong PS. I also have a couple of softs that I think are better than average, but who knows what that means.

Good luck!

SHARK WEEK.

Anyone else?

your avatar is awesome.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:01 am

Integrity wrote:
najumobi wrote:

yeah they do actually.

Hard to say. Vandy's like Duke in that they seem to value GPA more than the LSAT, at least to a certain point. If you're LSAT's close enough and your GPA proves irresistible, say 3.8+, you may have a better shot than most splitters.

Integrity

Postby Integrity » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:12 am

Thanks guys. I'm a 4.0/158. I have prepped for the LSAT like no other. Beginning with the SSAT with boarding school, the PSAT sophomore year, and the SAT junior AND senior year...I've never had much luck beyond average scores. Not saying I cannot bump up, but my 158 was a considerable bump. I guess it would have to have some major reverse splitter love, or I better pull a Hail Mary LSAT day-- I will put forth my best effort!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”