Vanderbilt 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MarkRenton

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby MarkRenton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:05 pm

I applied to Vandy last year and during the first wave of notifications in January, the date of decision precisely fit with the decision. Considering the numbers which people have listed, I think it's pretty clear. 1/5: accepted, 1/6: rejected, 1/7: waitlisted. That's how it went last year and it seems like that is holding for this year.

BlueHeel

Postby BlueHeel » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:07 pm

MarkRenton wrote:I applied to Vandy last year and during the first wave of notifications in January, the date of decision precisely fit with the decision. Considering the numbers which people have listed, I think it's pretty clear. 1/5: accepted, 1/6: rejected, 1/7: waitlisted. That's how it went last year and it seems like that is holding for this year.

I agree, I'm a 1/6 with no shot from a #'s standpoint. Congrats to the 1/5's and 1/7's though!

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:09 pm

Complete 10/2
Interview 12/16 (yeah I waited till the last day to sign up, big whoop, wanna fight about it? :) )
DR 1/7

Numbers right around medians, great interview, quality app (according to the fine people at Emory). Especially after that interview, Vandy is one of my top realistic choices. Guess the pattern fits a WL, but that's better than nothing, I suppose.

Fingers crossed for all of us!

The Zeppelin

Postby The Zeppelin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:10 pm

Just want to say hi to all my fellow 1/7 waitlisters.

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:12 pm

I've been complete for 2 months and still no decision. Maybe they'll add me later today? I'm expecting WL.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:13 pm

I'm always skeptical when someone says "great interview" because who's ever said they had a terrible interview? Unless the interview was awful, I doubt the quality matters too much. You're expected to interview well. I think Vanderbilt is much more concerned whether you chose to do the interview. If you have WL numbers and cannot demonstrate enough interest to interview, my guess is that you've bought a decline - or interviewing can place a marginal candidate on the WL. But my main point is that I don't think that what the interviewer says about the meeting matters so much (provided you're not a turd), it's the demonstration of interest.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:15 pm

UFMatt wrote:I've been complete for 2 months and still no decision. Maybe they'll add me later today? I'm expecting WL.

Have you interviewed recently? They don't review files of people who are yet to interview. So, if you did that recently, they probably just haven't gotten to it yet. However, if you've been complete with no additions to your file for two months, that's a bit strange because it seems like Vandy is pretty good at getting decisions out in chronological order.

wired

Postby wired » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:22 pm

MarkRenton wrote:I applied to Vandy last year and during the first wave of notifications in January, the date of decision precisely fit with the decision. Considering the numbers which people have listed, I think it's pretty clear. 1/5: accepted, 1/6: rejected, 1/7: waitlisted. That's how it went last year and it seems like that is holding for this year.

Mark: Are you a Vandy student? If so, my humblest apologies for disagreeing with and in the event that I am waitlisted, please drop by the admissions office and let them know that I have at least three song parodies I am willing to sing about my love of Vandy.

Looking at LSN from last year, after the New Year you had a reject on 1/3, a batch of acceptances on 1/7, and then a mixed bag on 1/9 with an acceptance and a reject. Obviously LSN is not gospel truth (especially on something as small as decision date), but I think it gives us a little evidence that Vandy might not block their decisions onto certain dates.

Then again, I am a 1/7 who is hoping to be in, so I am trying to create reasons to have hope.

EDIT: And the best I can tell, the first WL (on LSN) was sent out on 1/23.
Last edited by wired on Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:23 pm

MarkRenton wrote:I'm always skeptical when someone says "great interview" because who's ever said they had a terrible interview? Unless the interview was awful, I doubt the quality matters too much. You're expected to interview well. I think Vanderbilt is much more concerned whether you chose to do the interview. If you have WL numbers and cannot demonstrate enough interest to interview, my guess is that you've bought a decline - or interviewing can place a marginal candidate on the WL. But my main point is that I don't think that what the interviewer says about the meeting matters so much (provided you're not a turd), it's the demonstration of interest.

That's a good point. I guess I just left with "great interview" vibes because the alum, who's in charge of recruiting summer associates for her firm, told me that I'd already stand out among the people she hires. But maybe she tells everyone that and I should have just listed "non-app-destroying interview" to be on the safe side. As you say, that's really all it boils down to.

rocross1

Postby rocross1 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:24 pm

I had a really good interview the lady gave me a hug and her personal number plus email, she even volunteered to put me in contact with firms/friends in Nashville to get internships. She said she would write me a glowing letter I hope she was sincere. I have a 166 and 3.98 plus good softs. My decision was mailed today and my question is do you guys/gals think I am in, out, or waitlisted? My concern is that even though I applied early I didn't interview until mid December and my decision was just mailed I am worried I may be too late. FEEDBACK please!!!

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:25 pm

wired wrote:

Mark: Are you a Vandy student? If so, my humblest apologies for disagreeing with and in the event that I am waitlisted, please drop by the admissions office and let them know that I have at least three song parodies I am willing to sing about my love of Vandy.

Looking at LSN from last year, after the New Year you had a reject on 1/3, a batch of acceptances on 1/7, and then a mixed bag on 1/9 with an acceptance and a reject. Obviously LSN is not gospel truth (especially on something as small as decision date), but I think it gives us a little evidence that Vandy might not block their decisions onto certain dates.

Then again, I am a 1/7 who is hoping to be in, so I am trying to create reasons to have hope.

that 1/3 reject is really a 1/30....in his profile he said he received a ding from vandy on 1/30.
as for 1/9 decisions: for decision mailed on 1/9 it was a rejection. the 1/9 for acceptance was the date the guy actually received his package. it's looking as if 1/7 was the "decision mailed date" for the first batch of acceptances last

wired

Postby wired » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:27 pm

rocross1 wrote:I had a really good interview the lady gave me a hug and her personal number plus email, she even volunteered to put me in contact with firms/friends in Nashville to get internships. She said she would write me a glowing letter I hope she was sincere. I have a 166 and 3.98 plus good softs. My decision was mailed today and my question is do you guys/gals think I am in, out, or waitlisted? My concern is that even though I applied early I didn't interview until mid December and my decision was just mailed I am worried I may be too late. FEEDBACK please!!!

I don't think the interview has as much positive impact as we would all hope. (My guestimate is that it helps to do an interview, but the actual contents of the interview are irrelevant unless you receive a negative review - but I really don't know.)

Honestly, seeing your numbers makes me more hopeful. You have a fantastic GPA and I think it could get you in. Let's all just breathe and wait.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:28 pm

Perhaps I'm completely wrong, but there is a bit of good news? If everyone on 1/7 is getting the same thing, it really does seem as if, at worst, we'll be waitlisted. With the numbers I've seen, it can't be outright rejection.

(And, yes, I'm somewhat repeating other people here. I'm just getting nervous, and I won't get whatever it is for at least a week and a half or so, if not more.)

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:30 pm

rocross1 wrote:I had a really good interview the lady gave me a hug and her personal number plus email, she even volunteered to put me in contact with firms/friends in Nashville to get internships. She said she would write me a glowing letter I hope she was sincere. I have a 166 and 3.98 plus good softs. My decision was mailed today and my question is do you guys/gals think I am in, out, or waitlisted? My concern is that even though I applied early I didn't interview until mid December and my decision was just mailed I am worried I may be too late. FEEDBACK please!!!

with a 166 and +3.8 gpa, you are more likely to be waitlisted than accepted. so far by looking at the numbers it's all consistent with this 1/7/10 batch being waitlists.

no chance it's a reject batch. from looking at lawschoolnumber's 2008-2009 cycle profiles the stats for applicants in this batch puts them at 33%-50% chance of acceptance and 50%-67% chance of being waitlisted.

wired

Postby wired » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:30 pm

najumobi wrote:that 1/3 reject is really a 1/30....in his profile he said he received a ding from vandy on 1/30.
as for 1/9 decisions: for decision mailed on 1/9 it was a rejection. the 1/9 for acceptance was the date the guy actually received his package. it's looking as if 1/7 was the "decision mailed date" for the first batch of acceptances last

Ah! Thanks for the extra info (I was just looking at an excel spreadsheet, so it is definitely helpful to look at those.)

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:32 pm

wired wrote:

EDIT: And the best I can tell, the first WL (on LSN) was sent out on 1/22.

That's probably the three-day pattern Mark brought up (1/21/09-1/23/09). I think that's late enough that it doesn't necessarily predict the same pattern right now. Plus, except for the third day, the results from that stretch appear mixed. I agree with wired: Best reason for us 1/7/10s to hope is that no one was WLed until 1/22 last year.

wired

Postby wired » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:35 pm

I am definitely going to be signing off this thread starting today. One reason is so that I can be productive, the other reason is so that I don't let other people's application results psyche me out.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:36 pm

manbearwig wrote:Perhaps I'm completely wrong, but there is a bit of good news? If everyone on 1/7 is getting the same thing, it really does seem as if, at worst, we'll be waitlisted. With the numbers I've seen, it can't be outright rejection.

(And, yes, I'm somewhat repeating other people here. I'm just getting nervous, and I won't get whatever it is for at least a week and a half or so, if not more.)

Last year, the order of decision dates was accepted, rejected, WL'ed. It appears, considering people's self reported numbers, that this is holding true this year. I think you can take getting WL'ed to the bank, tbh.

____

And again about the people who're reporting that they're getting glowing interviews and their interviewers loved them... This is probably true. However, this is only important to the degree that Vandy's adcoms really care about the strength of the content. I mean, some interviewers are probably fairly stoic and business oriented, and thus, are not likely to use a lot of hyperbole - just a matter of fact recommendation. I'm pretty sure Vandy understands that since the interviewer is standardized, they have to take the qualitative subject matter of the interview with a grain of salt. So again, it's more whether you interviewed and less how did it go.

To the other guy who mentioned the non uniformity of decision dates on LSN from last year. I think someone else touched on this, but that occurred because some people listed when they received the mail while others listed the decision date on the status checker. But it was completely uniform last year. For better information, look at last year's Vandy admissions thread. You'll see the solid pattern.

yoyoma

Postby yoyoma » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:38 pm

Well, I have a 4.0 and a 167, and I am in the 1/5 batch. I also did the interview in mid December, so I don't think that is going to hurt you. I wouldn't worry about it. I have trouble believing that I would be accepted and that you would be waitlisted based on one LSAT point.

The Zeppelin

Postby The Zeppelin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:40 pm

yoyoma wrote:

Well, I have a 4.0 and a 167, and I am in the 1/5 batch. I also did the interview in mid December, so I don't think that is going to hurt you. I wouldn't worry about it. I have trouble believing that I would be accepted and that you would be waitlisted based on one LSAT point.

I believe it.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:44 pm

yoyoma wrote:

After an admission cycle you'll see how damn important one question on the LSAT is. I take so much personal comfort in the fact that if I answered one more question correctly, I would have had the same score. Decisions live and die by that one point. Especially if you're one point below the median or at the median. This seriously matters to schools whether you're helping them set the median or if you're dragging it down.

In addition, there's something magical about the 4.0. While a few points on the GPA doesn't typically matter as much - something about staying perfect through your entire UG career seems to mean a lot to adcoms. While the different between a 3.8 and 3.9 is very important, there's a huge difference between a 3.88 and a 4.0. 4.0's do sometimes find a way to overcome LSAT's that are a few points below the median.

yoyoma

Postby yoyoma » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:52 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
yoyoma wrote:

After an admission cycle you'll see how damn important one question on the LSAT is. I take so much personal comfort in the fact that if I answered one more question correctly, I would have had the same score. Decisions live and die by that one point. Especially if you're one point below the median or at the median. This seriously matters to schools whether you're helping them set the median or if you're dragging it down.

In addition, there's something magical about the 4.0. While a few points on the GPA doesn't typically matter as much - something about staying perfect through your entire UG career seems to mean a lot to adcoms. While the different between a 3.8 and 3.9 is very important, there's a huge difference between a 3.88 and a 4.0. 4.0's do sometimes find a way to overcome LSAT's that are a few points below the median.

Ya, you are probably right. I feel for the person who is only one question away from attending a school like Vanderbilt, especially with such a high GPA. I definitely take comfort in knowing that one more question on the LSAT would still put me at a 167.

I hope you are right about the bolded. I have never heard that before.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:55 pm

Take a look at some LSN's, when a score is 3 points below the median, you normally see a lot of red dots. Except for the 4.0's, a bunch of them always sneak in. This is true at a lot of schools. Like, I think Michigan always takes a bunch of 166/4.0's. It really shows a lot of determination and consistency. Plus, 4.0's are just so rare. It really plays like a great soft factor.

rocross1

Postby rocross1 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:58 pm

MarkRenton wrote:Take a look at some LSN's, when a score is 3 points below the median, you normally see a lot of red dots. Except for the 4.0's, a bunch of them always sneak in. This is true at a lot of schools. Like, I think Michigan always takes a bunch of 166/4.0's. It really shows a lot of determination and consistency. Plus, 4.0's are just so rare. It really plays like a great soft factor.

Is my 3.98 really different then a 4.0 I mean really? I have never recieved a B in my college career and I have only gotten two A-'s I don't think it is different.

The Zeppelin

Postby The Zeppelin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:59 pm

MarkRenton wrote:Take a look at some LSN's, when a score is 3 points below the median, you normally see a lot of red dots. Except for the 4.0's, a bunch of them always sneak in. This is true at a lot of schools. Like, I think Michigan always takes a bunch of 166/4.0's. It really shows a lot of determination and consistency. Plus, 4.0's are just so rare. It really plays like a great soft factor.

165/4.0 - 1/7 :cry:

I actually don't care. Fee waiver application. Not like I could afford to go there anyway.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”