Vanderbilt 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:45 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:i requested an interview over a week ago, and i still haven't heard anything back. has this happened to anyone else? what did you do?

You can email Vandy and they will help you out. Check out the email Vandy sent you when you initially requested the interview. There should be a dedicated email address in there for these types of concerns.

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby TruckerD » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:43 pm

wired wrote:Trucker, I have seen you on a bunch of the other threads. I just checked your LSN profile - any reason you applied so broadly (e.g. Baylor, W&L, etc.) with such incredible numbers?


There are a few reasons, really. First, having been out of school for so long, without any real significant accomplishments in the intervening period, I really was not sure how schools would see me as a candidate, despite the numbers. (I had one friend who swore that I shouldn't write my PS about truck driving because professional academics would take offense at my comparing truck driving knowledge to school knowledge -- I wrote it that way anyway, because that is really all that I had but I am still not sure I won't run into a couple of intellectual snobs) Also, having been out of school so long, I am not 100 percent confident that I would be able to jump right in and immediately compete for top of my class at HYS. Wherever I go, I want to be competitive for the highest honors.

Secondly, I'm 33 and don't have a lot of extra time to pay loans off. That combined with the general economic climate has made me decide that I'm not going anywhere that doesn't give me a full ride. This made me cast my net as wide as possible, and also led me to avoid certain of the top schools where I simply wasn't a candidate for their top scholarships.

Third, I want to go somewhere where I will enjoy my law school experience. I have no desire to spend these three years in NYC, Chicago, or Cali, so, despite the quality of the schools there, I didn't apply to them.

I realize that this is overkill, and don't feel that it is entirely directed at you. I have been asked similar questions many times on this board, so I wanted to lay it all out there. Everyone feel free to attack me now :D

D

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby tram988 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:52 pm

Thats the Trucker I know!

User avatar
crombot
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:41 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby crombot » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:40 pm

Had my Vandy interview this morning--went really well. Was there for almost 2 hours.

Unlike NU, Vandy doesn't seem to tell you when your interview report has been submitted though. That's a bit irritating...

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby robin600 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:42 pm

crombot wrote:Had my Vandy interview this morning--went really well. Was there for almost 2 hours.

Unlike NU, Vandy doesn't seem to tell you when your interview report has been submitted though. That's a bit irritating...


My interviewer told me he would submit it that afternoon, during the interview I asked him about Vandy's accommodations for people with disabilities and he said when he submitted the form he would contact the accommodations specialist as well. I got out of the interview at 1050 (started at 10), got the email from the accommodations specialist at 2pm

User avatar
observationalist
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:55 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby observationalist » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:01 am

Trucker, I think your story will probably carry well with adcomms... high numbers and unique work experience means you boost both a school's academic credibility and their ability to hold themselves out as pulling in people from diverse backgrounds. Vandy and a few other schools go so far as to include a sampling of the most unique accomplishments when they show entering class statistics. You would be one of those asterisks.

The flipside is that you are also one of the few people with trucking experience applying to these schools (if not the only one). And since all admissions offices have at least someone who pervs around these websites, they are all going to be able to follow your posts here if they so choose. I'm sure you've already thought of that but word to the wise, your posts will not be considered anonymous.

G'luck with the cycle. Nashville's a great city and I wish it upon anyone who wants to enjoy their time in law school, so I hope everyone takes the time to come visit. Same goes for those who end up getting WLed... visiting and getting to know people is going to be your best shot at getting off the WL.

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby TruckerD » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:11 am

observationalist wrote:Trucker, I think your story will probably carry well with adcomms... high numbers and unique work experience means you boost both a school's academic credibility and their ability to hold themselves out as pulling in people from diverse backgrounds. Vandy and a few other schools go so far as to include a sampling of the most unique accomplishments when they show entering class statistics. You would be one of those asterisks.

The flipside is that you are also one of the few people with trucking experience applying to these schools (if not the only one). And since all admissions offices have at least someone who pervs around these websites, they are all going to be able to follow your posts here if they so choose. I'm sure you've already thought of that but word to the wise, your posts will not be considered anonymous.

G'luck with the cycle. Nashville's a great city and I wish it upon anyone who wants to enjoy their time in law school, so I hope everyone takes the time to come visit. Same goes for those who end up getting WLed... visiting and getting to know people is going to be your best shot at getting off the WL.


Thanks, man!

I appreciate the vote of confidence. As I said, I made the decision to go with the story I had, and write something interesting. Better to provoke an occasional negative reaction than no reaction at all. But, it seems that most adcoms are liking it so far (knock on wood).

I am definitely looking forward to visiting Nashville (My cousin actually works in the DA's office) and I am sure I would enjoy law school there should I end up at Vandy.

Oh, and I've pretty much figured adcoms could trace me if they wanted. I don't think I've said anything particularly inflammatory.

User avatar
observationalist
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:55 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby observationalist » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:49 am

TruckerD wrote:
observationalist wrote:Trucker, I think your story will probably carry well with adcomms... high numbers and unique work experience means you boost both a school's academic credibility and their ability to hold themselves out as pulling in people from diverse backgrounds. Vandy and a few other schools go so far as to include a sampling of the most unique accomplishments when they show entering class statistics. You would be one of those asterisks.

The flipside is that you are also one of the few people with trucking experience applying to these schools (if not the only one). And since all admissions offices have at least someone who pervs around these websites, they are all going to be able to follow your posts here if they so choose. I'm sure you've already thought of that but word to the wise, your posts will not be considered anonymous.

G'luck with the cycle. Nashville's a great city and I wish it upon anyone who wants to enjoy their time in law school, so I hope everyone takes the time to come visit. Same goes for those who end up getting WLed... visiting and getting to know people is going to be your best shot at getting off the WL.


Thanks, man!

I appreciate the vote of confidence. As I said, I made the decision to go with the story I had, and write something interesting. Better to provoke an occasional negative reaction than no reaction at all. But, it seems that most adcoms are liking it so far (knock on wood).

I am definitely looking forward to visiting Nashville (My cousin actually works in the DA's office) and I am sure I would enjoy law school there should I end up at Vandy.

Oh, and I've pretty much figured adcoms could trace me if they wanted. I don't think I've said anything particularly inflammatory.


No prob... I happen to think adcomms who look down on your work history probably aren't worth their salt. I'm actually surprised people have been giving you grief around here, unless it's just to point out that most softs don't really help you one way or the other unless you also have the numbers for a school.

Anyways, sorry to derail the thread. Handing it back to you 0Ls... anyone with questions on the environmental or social justice programs feel free to PM me and I'll offer up what I know. Just remember that the school appreciates personal contact with their representatives, above and beyond most others. That goes for accepted students hoping for $$ and WLeds hoping for a seat. It's the best way to make them see you as something other than a point on an LSAT/gpa chart (other than the essays, of course).

Applicant2010
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby Applicant2010 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:21 am

Went to decision on 12/3. I did not interview.

User avatar
jgulia45
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:03 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby jgulia45 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:25 am

Applicant2010 wrote:Went to decision on 12/3. I did not interview.


when did you go complete?

Applicant2010
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby Applicant2010 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:26 am

jgulia45 wrote:
Applicant2010 wrote:Went to decision on 12/3. I did not interview.


when did you go complete?


Applied 10/28
Complete 11/6

No one was rejected yet on LSN. Good news?

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:29 am

hey guys, im doing the interview at a local starbucks later today. should go all out with a tie? just a sport coat?

User avatar
ClemCarter
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby ClemCarter » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:31 am

talibkweli wrote:hey guys, im doing the interview at a local starbucks later today. should go all out with a tie? just a sport coat?



I say always go all out. Dress for the job you want, etc., etc. I wore a suit to mine.

That said, every time I say that on TLS, some jobless 22-year-old tells me I don't know what I'm talking about.

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby TruckerD » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:35 am

talibkweli wrote:hey guys, im doing the interview at a local starbucks later today. should go all out with a tie? just a sport coat?


I think the location matters. I did mine at a law firm, so I wore the nicest thing I could come up with (shirt and tie, slacks -- I don't own a suit). To meet at Starbucks I probably would have foregone the tie.

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:37 am

wont i look ridiculous though with a tie given the location? i guess its better to be over than under dressed....

thanks

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby TruckerD » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:40 am

My wife says everyone should rent a tux for these things hehe. :) Oh and a top hat.

User avatar
ClemCarter
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby ClemCarter » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:41 am

talibkweli wrote:wont i look ridiculous though with a tie given the location? i guess its better to be over than under dressed....

thanks


Mmm... true, and it is Friday.

All the interviewees at the interview day thing I went to were wearing suits. Adcommers were there, though.

I'd say you should do what feels comfortable. If you would feel goofy in the tie, lose it, but if you think you can pull it off without looking uncomfortable, overdressed is always preferable to the alternative.

User avatar
ClemCarter
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby ClemCarter » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:42 am

TruckerD wrote:My wife says everyone should rent a tux for these things hehe. :) Oh and a top hat.


+monacle and you're in Clem Carter territory.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby Kretzy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:47 am

ClemCarter wrote:
TruckerD wrote:My wife says everyone should rent a tux for these things hehe. :) Oh and a top hat.


+monacle and you're in Clem Carter territory.


Only if you're sporting a pimp cane as well.

wired
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby wired » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:03 pm

Trucker,

I agree. The viewbooks that have, "Our admitted class has a Miss Teen Rwanda winner, a plumber of a nuclear submarine, etc. etc." would DEFINITELY put "long-haul trucker" in there. I think it's an awesome story and I think it will definitely bode well for you.

I think if the adcomms could recognize you, it would only help you since I have seen you be only respectful to others on the board.

Finally, I definitely agree with your approach. My wife and I have decided that I should only go to a school where we can keep tuition to $20,000 per year at the very most. Vandy is my long-shot, please give me some sort of merit aid, hope. There is much more to law school than coming out with a fancy degree - the debt, stress, location, etc. are all huge factors.

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby TruckerD » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:12 pm

wired wrote:Trucker,

I agree. The viewbooks that have, "Our admitted class has a Miss Teen Rwanda winner, a plumber of a nuclear submarine, etc. etc." would DEFINITELY put "long-haul trucker" in there. I think it's an awesome story and I think it will definitely bode well for you.

I think if the adcomms could recognize you, it would only help you since I have seen you be only respectful to others on the board.

Finally, I definitely agree with your approach. My wife and I have decided that I should only go to a school where we can keep tuition to $20,000 per year at the very most. Vandy is my long-shot, please give me some sort of merit aid, hope. There is much more to law school than coming out with a fancy degree - the debt, stress, location, etc. are all huge factors.


Thanks man!

If a schools gives me enough money, I certainly don't mind being used by their publicity engine. ;)

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby CyLaw » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:14 pm

TruckerD wrote:Thanks man!

If a schools gives me enough money, I certainly don't mind being used by their publicity engine. ;)


A trucker and a publicity engine. I know there is a joke there somewhere. Think Cylaw Think.... Ah, forget, too early for witty humor.

Congrats D. Have you submitted your app for the Law Merit Scholars awards yet. I'm still working on mine.

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby TruckerD » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:17 pm

CyLaw wrote:
TruckerD wrote:Thanks man!

If a schools gives me enough money, I certainly don't mind being used by their publicity engine. ;)


A trucker and a publicity engine. I know there is a joke there somewhere. Think Cylaw Think.... Ah, forget, too early for witty humor.

Congrats D. Have you submitted your app for the Law Merit Scholars awards yet. I'm still working on mine.


LOL Me and the Mrs both laughed at that. :D I have sent my Merit award essays. Do you know when they start looking at those? Good Luck!

PS...my wife wants me to tell you she thinks that dog is beautiful too.

User avatar
kinch
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:42 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby kinch » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:19 pm

Applicant2010 wrote:Went to decision on 12/3. I did not interview.

+1. 173/3.8, submitted around mid October.

User avatar
gotmilk?
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:25 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby gotmilk? » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:42 pm

Decision mailed, 12/3. I interviewed on 12/1.
stats on lsn, link in tls profile.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bloomsday, Google Adsense [Bot] and 13 guests