Vanderbilt 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:26 am

legalease9 wrote:
beesknees wrote:Just checking in here after the ASD. I have to say I was really impressed. The faculty all are top notch, the current and prospective students are wonderful and I liked Nashville much more than Ann Arbor.

I'm still going to call Michigan on Monday to ask about aid, but if its a no or no answer, I feel good about choosing Vandy. It just feels like the right decision for me.


Cool, thanks for the info. Anyone else who went to ASD have perceptions?


Laid back atmosphere, professors are energetic and caring, administration seems very positive. Career services lady was neurotic about finding people jobs (which is a good thing). Campus and law school building were nice. Nashville's a happening place, for sure. All in all a nice experience.

User avatar
pearl_earrings
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby pearl_earrings » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:26 am

I'll be there.

:D
Ooooooh my goodness what a relief to have finally made this decision!!

User avatar
TheVoynichManuscript
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby TheVoynichManuscript » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:11 pm

Hey everyone! I didn't see a Vandy thread in the Class of 2013 board yet, so I created one for those of us who are pretty much decided at this point. Here's the link:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=114047

User avatar
smartblonde87
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby smartblonde87 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:35 pm

I
chicoalto0649 wrote:
smartblonde87 wrote:i just noticed no one had posted today so i thought i would do the honor... ;)


p.s.> WHY HASN'T MY LETTER COME YET?!?!?!?!?!??!

I'm DM 4-8 , you too?



I wish. I'm still technically waiting in the decision to be made. Good reason to not get a metter I guess. Vandy is my number one. I hate thinking it's going to be too late :(

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby pleasetryagain » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:45 pm

where do you guys plan on living?

User avatar
pearl_earrings
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby pearl_earrings » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:19 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:where do you guys plan on living?

Not sure yet. Any ideas? The student handbook is amazing but I haven't taken the time to really think about living options yet.

User avatar
Gymnast0206
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby Gymnast0206 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:39 pm

Is anyone still waiting on a decision?!

atacsin
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby atacsin » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:15 pm

Yes....Complete 2/19

User avatar
Gymnast0206
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby Gymnast0206 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:26 pm

atacsin wrote:Yes....Complete 2/19



You have me beat, 2/24.

fcowrx
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:44 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby fcowrx » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:38 pm

Gymnast0206 wrote:
atacsin wrote:Yes....Complete 2/19



You have me beat, 2/24.


I win. Still waiting, complete 1/28.

User avatar
MF248
Posts: 229
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:25 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby MF248 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:28 am

legalease9 wrote:Vanderbilt puts a lot of weight on their promotional materials about how unbelievably laid back they are compared to other law schools. In fact they refer to themselves as a "kinder, gentler" law school. Has anyone with experience at Vanderbilt law found this to be true or untrue? Thanks!


During ASW this seemed to be pretty accurate. When I was talking to a 1L he said that he was "Pleasantly surprised not to be surprised," meaning he had heard all the talk about how collegiate they are etc. but was a bit worried that he was going to show up and be surprised when he saw how they actually behave. He said there were no surprises and the atmosphere is pretty much exactly how they described it. I also heard alot of anecdotal cases from people that have friends/relatives at other law schools and how those friends/relatives are always surprised about how the environment at Vandy is so different from their experiences.

All around the staff seemed to genuinely care about the students, their experiences & their careers etc. The current students were more willing to talk to me than at any of the other schools I've visited, and they seemed to me alot more comfortable & social around each other in general. Also, something that surprised me was that when i first visited the school a couple of months ago was that the admissions officer that showed me around actually knew a bit about me, whereas at every other school, even one I interviewed at I could tell that they didn't even do a glance over my file before talking to me.

Anyways, I'll be at Vandy in the Fall & I'm looking forward to it.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby Grizz » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:01 am

pleasetryagain wrote:where do you guys plan on living?


No clue. I guess I have to start figuring that out. The good thing about Vandy though is most of the housing seems fairly close and not that expensive.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby Grizz » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:09 am

MF248 wrote:
During ASW this seemed to be pretty accurate. When I was talking to a 1L he said that he was "Pleasantly surprised not to be surprised," meaning he had heard all the talk about how collegiate they are etc. but was a bit worried that he was going to show up and be surprised when he saw how they actually behave. He said there were no surprises and the atmosphere is pretty much exactly how they described it. I also heard alot of anecdotal cases from people that have friends/relatives at other law schools and how those friends/relatives are always surprised about how the environment at Vandy is so different from their experiences.

All around the staff seemed to genuinely care about the students, their experiences & their careers etc. The current students were more willing to talk to me than at any of the other schools I've visited, and they seemed to me alot more comfortable & social around each other in general. Also, something that surprised me was that when i first visited the school a couple of months ago was that the admissions officer that showed me around actually knew a bit about me, whereas at every other school, even one I interviewed at I could tell that they didn't even do a glance over my file before talking to me.

Anyways, I'll be at Vandy in the Fall & I'm looking forward to it.


+1 to to all of the above. All the Vandy students were great; I really felt included, that I was already a part of the community. I made a few new friends who all said they were really excited that I was pretty much dead set on Vandy, and to call them in the fall.

The career services was awesome. They seemed obsessed with making sure every student was employed. And their clerkship advisor stressed that even if your grades weren't the best, he would still go to bat for you to give you the best possible shot at clerkships, it that's what you wanted.

To MF248 and others that have decided on Vandy, I'm still waiting on Texas money, but I'm 99% sure I'll see yall this fall. I believe a celebratory round of Makers is in order.

gmichaelbluth
Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby gmichaelbluth » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:44 am

Really enjoyed the ASW. Found the panels to be informative, the mock class and the class we observed were both good, and everyone I met just seemed super nice, smart, etc. I could really see myself here. I'd hoped I'd have a more definitive answer after this visit, but I'm torn between here and Texas. Gah! I will be glad to finally have a decision made by this time next week.

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby pleasetryagain » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:24 am

rad law wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:where do you guys plan on living?


No clue. I guess I have to start figuring that out. The good thing about Vandy though is most of the housing seems fairly close and not that expensive.


see. I find just the opposite to be true. seems like all the reasonably nice properties, and the reasonably priced properties, are 20 minutes from campus/the bars.

edit: itd be great if some current students can weigh in on living options. the obiter dictum is great but you cant ask it questions.

sdv
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:26 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby sdv » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:01 pm

seems to depend on whether you're willing to live with a roommate or not. you can live close to campus with a roommate and pay anywhere from 600-900 apiece per month, or live 10-20 minutes away and pay that much for a one bedroom. I personally can't abide having a roommate so living further out is the option that makes the most sense to me, plus you can (no surprise here) find nicer places for cheaper the further out you go. I've never lived closer than 15 miles from any job I've had over the past few vears and I grew up 12 miles outside of mv major city, so it's not a big deal to live 9 miles from campus, but for those coming straight out of undergrad or from living and working in the center of a major city, it might be a bit more of a culture shock.

FWIW, I'm most likely living in Bellevue in the fall.

Also, I was outed as a TLS contributor in the first 10 minutes of ASW on Friday. It was a surprisingly awkward experience.

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby pleasetryagain » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:28 pm

sdv wrote:seems to depend on whether you're willing to live with a roommate or not. you can live close to campus with a roommate and pay anywhere from 600-900 apiece per month, or live 10-20 minutes away and pay that much for a one bedroom. I personally can't abide having a roommate so living further out is the option that makes the most sense to me, plus you can (no surprise here) find nicer places for cheaper the further out you go. I've never lived closer than 15 miles from any job I've had over the past few vears and I grew up 12 miles outside of mv major city, so it's not a big deal to live 9 miles from campus, but for those coming straight out of undergrad or from living and working in the center of a major city, it might be a bit more of a culture shock.

FWIW, I'm most likely living in Bellevue in the fall.

Also, I was outed as a TLS contributor in the first 10 minutes of ASW on Friday. It was a surprisingly awkward experience.



haha.. how?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby Grizz » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:49 pm

gmichaelbluth wrote:Really enjoyed the ASW. Found the panels to be informative, the mock class and the class we observed were both good, and everyone I met just seemed super nice, smart, etc. I could really see myself here. I'd hoped I'd have a more definitive answer after this visit, but I'm torn between here and Texas. Gah! I will be glad to finally have a decision made by this time next week.


Me and another poster named pearl_earrings have been making the same decision and are set on Vandy. PM us.

User avatar
gogators
Posts: 272
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:20 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby gogators » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:08 pm

sdv wrote:seems to depend on whether you're willing to live with a roommate or not. you can live close to campus with a roommate and pay anywhere from 600-900 apiece per month, or live 10-20 minutes away and pay that much for a one bedroom. I personally can't abide having a roommate so living further out is the option that makes the most sense to me, plus you can (no surprise here) find nicer places for cheaper the further out you go. I've never lived closer than 15 miles from any job I've had over the past few vears and I grew up 12 miles outside of mv major city, so it's not a big deal to live 9 miles from campus, but for those coming straight out of undergrad or from living and working in the center of a major city, it might be a bit more of a culture shock.

FWIW, I'm most likely living in Bellevue in the fall.

Also, I was outed as a TLS contributor in the first 10 minutes of ASW on Friday. It was a surprisingly awkward experience.


This is probably the correct answer. I live close and split $800. Others living at 20 & Grand pay more. But others living at the Enclave for instance pay $600 each. In the end, if you go with huge big name apartments then the quote above is mostly true. If you do some searching around, then you can find little treasures.

User avatar
pearl_earrings
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby pearl_earrings » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:50 pm

rad law wrote:
gmichaelbluth wrote:Really enjoyed the ASW. Found the panels to be informative, the mock class and the class we observed were both good, and everyone I met just seemed super nice, smart, etc. I could really see myself here. I'd hoped I'd have a more definitive answer after this visit, but I'm torn between here and Texas. Gah! I will be glad to finally have a decision made by this time next week.


Me and another poster named pearl_earrings have been making the same decision and are set on Vandy. PM us.

:D
It was such a tough decision but I'm glad I settled on Vandy! Def PM me if you want to chat about it!

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby pleasetryagain » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:52 pm

gogators wrote:
This is probably the correct answer. I live close and split $800. Others living at 20 & Grand pay more. But others living at the Enclave for instance pay $600 each. In the end, if you go with huge big name apartments then the quote above is mostly true. If you do some searching around, then you can find little treasures.


How does living further out affect things like..drinking at the bar? What do cabs run?

semigoodnes
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby semigoodnes » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:54 pm

They stilll have not mailed a decision out according to the application status checker. Anyone know if this is a bad thing?

heyzeus
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:19 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby heyzeus » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:42 pm

2/9 still waiting

gmichaelbluth
Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby gmichaelbluth » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:59 pm

pearl_earrings wrote:
rad law wrote:
gmichaelbluth wrote:Really enjoyed the ASW. Found the panels to be informative, the mock class and the class we observed were both good, and everyone I met just seemed super nice, smart, etc. I could really see myself here. I'd hoped I'd have a more definitive answer after this visit, but I'm torn between here and Texas. Gah! I will be glad to finally have a decision made by this time next week.


Me and another poster named pearl_earrings have been making the same decision and are set on Vandy. PM us.

:D
It was such a tough decision but I'm glad I settled on Vandy! Def PM me if you want to chat about it!


Oh I would LOVE your input--pmed you both:).

User avatar
Gymnast0206
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby Gymnast0206 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:00 pm

heyzeus wrote:2/9 still waiting



Same here. 2/15




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, carlos_danger and 16 guests