Vanderbilt 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CyLaw

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby CyLaw » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:04 pm

beesknees wrote:Just got my financial aid award summary in the mail. Ahh, with that scholly, Vandy's fin aid statement is A LOT less scary than Michigan's sticker shock.

I can't wait to visit Vandy in a couple of weeks. I hope that my visit there will make my decision easy one way or the other.

I'm at the airport now flying back from my visit to Vandy. It was Unbelievable. I really like both the class we sat in on and the mock class we did. Loved listening to panel on careers, clinics, and clerkships. And then to top off the whole trip, drinking and trivia games in the same room we were sitting in for class that morning. I loved my trip.

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:43 pm

CyLaw wrote:
beesknees wrote:Just got my financial aid award summary in the mail. Ahh, with that scholly, Vandy's fin aid statement is A LOT less scary than Michigan's sticker shock.

I can't wait to visit Vandy in a couple of weeks. I hope that my visit there will make my decision easy one way or the other.

I'm at the airport now flying back from my visit to Vandy. It was Unbelievable. I really like both the class we sat in on and the mock class we did. Loved listening to panel on careers, clinics, and clerkships. And then to top off the whole trip, drinking and trivia games in the same room we were sitting in for class that morning. I loved my trip.

Great to hear! I wasn't able to make it down for the ASW, but I visited on my own a few weeks ago.
I'd love if those who attended could post a little more about the trip!

td6624

Postby td6624 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:48 pm

pearl_earrings wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

Great to hear! I wasn't able to make it down for the ASW, but I visited on my own a few weeks ago.

This.

Also, Financial Aid stuff got to my parents yesterday apparently.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:50 pm

td6624 wrote:
pearl_earrings wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

This.

Also, Financial Aid stuff got to my parents yesterday apparently.

I'm on my iphone now so long posts are a no go right now. I will post more later tonight when I get home.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:50 pm

CyLaw wrote:
I'm on my iphone now so long posts are a no go right now. I will post more later tonight when I get home.

heh, no pressure. just curious!

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:04 pm

Last edited by beesknees on Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:10 pm

My DM3/24 came today: Waitlisted.

Given my numbers, I'm very happy. Better start planning my LOCI and etc.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:17 pm

I was at ASW. I was generally impressed; though, I admit that the outlook on jobs was less than comforting, even w/r/t vandy's peers. I spoke to quite a few current 2ls and 3ls asking about job placement outside of the south, the security (or lack thereof) of median, the percentage of 2011 class that had received something through OCI, etc.

The general consensus was that about 1/3 of the class had gotten something through OCI and that median was very, very hit and miss -- especially outside the south.

Generally, though, the kids seemed nice, laid back, and to be genuinely enjoying their law school experience.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:21 pm

miamiman wrote:I was at ASW. I was generally impressed; though, I admit that the outlook on jobs was less than comforting, even w/r/t vandy's peers. I spoke to quite a few current 2ls and 3ls asking about job placement outside of the south, the security (or lack thereof) of median, the percentage of 2011 class that had received something through OCI, etc.

The general consensus was that about 1/3 of the class had gotten something through OCI and that median was very, very hit and miss -- especially outside the south.

Generally, though, the kids seemed nice, laid back, and to be genuinely enjoying their law school experience.

maaaan

i guess that's to be expected. but still. sucks a little.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:20 pm

Back from ASW. If any of yall saw or met a guy wearing navy pants and a green striped shirt on Friday, that was probably me. If you met/saw me, PM me.

I was impressed with the whole experience. Here's a quick recap.

Thursday I hung out with my host, his friends, and several other perspective students. We went for some beers and to watch basketball at a bar/restaurant near the law school, which was good. Then, we all went to an off-campus house and kept watching the games and had a few more beers, and then we went to Buffalo Billiards for bar review. That was a pretty relaxed and fun time; I met a bunch more Vandy students and met up with my friend who is a 1L. Everyone was very friendly.

Friday was a long day. The crim class and the mock class were both good. The clerkship info they gave us was informative and encouraging. ITE, Vanderbilt has increased the number of kids who get clerkships, including federal clerkships. The career services talk was also good. Someone mentioned that 1/3 of the class got jobs at OCI, but I was under the impression that other kids got jobs outside of OCI, and that hiring is not totally finished. It seems that Vanderbilt is doing as good as or better than peer institutions.

Blackacre was amazing. They got 2 kegs, which were immediately drunk. Trivia right afterwards was great. It was in probably the biggest lecture hall at the law school; regular seats and gallery seats were filled with prospective students and students from all classes. They brought out a keg of Yuengling, which was drunk halfway through. People then showed up with 24 packs and 12 packs. People here like to party. I ended up going back to a house to have a few more beers and watch basketball. We went to a guy's birthday party which was also fun; then I went home.

I loved Vandy. The campus was beautiful, and the people were all uniformly excited about Vandy and happy to meet you and talk about their school. Nashville seems like a smaller town with a lot of fun live music and bars. Meeting all the people who will be 1Ls next year was fun also. If I had to characterize the people, I would say that white, preppy people are well represented, and racially, it is not very diverse, but everyone is incredibly friendly and nice.

After the whole experience, I loved everything about the place. I'm sold.

MF248

Postby MF248 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:42 pm

Did they include another scholarship w/ your financial aid?

Also, does anyone have any experience w/ negotiating scholarships at Vandy? It looks like price may be what determines whether I go here or not/

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:13 pm

Just got back from ASW. The campus is absolutely beautiful--magnolia and dogwood trees everywhere. The students and faculty really impressed me. The school's culture is difficult to articulate, but for lack of better words, it is absolutely a collegial community. There's a great chance I'll be there in the fall.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:16 pm

Rawlsian wrote:Just got back from ASW. The campus is absolutely beautiful--magnolia and dogwood trees everywhere. The students and faculty really impressed me. The school's culture is difficult to articulate, but for lack of better words, it is absolutely a collegial community. There's a great chance I'll be there in the fall.

Glad you enjoyed! I knew you would like Vandy alot. Hope I get good news from them soon (kinda doubtful but w.e).

set88

Postby set88 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:51 pm

Is it safe to say that if we haven't heard by now, it's not going to be an acceptance? I'm starting to think so.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:52 pm

Last edited by beesknees on Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blueberrymuffin

Postby blueberrymuffin » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:20 pm

I'm posting this in the ASW thread, but also here since there seems to be more traffic.

1) What was the mock class like? Was there cold calling and all that?
2) Is dress casual, or do we need to "dress up" for any particular events?
3) Do the student hosts generally live within walking distance to the school or provide transportation? just wondering if I will find out at the last minute that I'll need a rental car.

Thanks for the info! I think all the rest I can just find out when the time comes.

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:25 pm

blueberrymuffin wrote:I'm posting this in the ASW thread, but also here since there seems to be more traffic.

1) What was the mock class like? Was there cold calling and all that?
2) Is dress casual, or do we need to "dress up" for any particular events?
3) Do the student hosts generally live within walking distance to the school or provide transportation? just wondering if I will find out at the last minute that I'll need a rental car.

Thanks for the info! I think all the rest I can just find out when the time comes.

1) The mock class was pretty chill. No cold calling as enough people volunteered that no cold calling was necessary. Even if she decided to cold call, the issues discussed were fairly basic and easy enough that answering would not have been difficult.
2) Dress was fairly casual. For the most part people were pretty put together. But I say wear whatever makes you comfortable. At this point, you are already admitted.
3) My host picked me up and dropped me off at the airport. He also drove me around wherever I needed to be for ASW. Just my experience though.

Ben2010

Postby Ben2010 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:35 pm

I went complete today! :oops:

Katherine

Postby Katherine » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:55 pm

Any advice to those of us who have not heard yet? My numbers are a joke, but I am desperate to go to vandy. I visited last fall and interviewed and have kept in touch with my interviewer, but don't want to be obnoxious. I wrote several extra letters, but wanted to make sure I covered all of my bases. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:40 pm

blueberrymuffin wrote:3) Do the student hosts generally live within walking distance to the school or provide transportation? just wondering if I will find out at the last minute that I'll need a rental car.

I rented a car for the drive up and did not use it the whole time I was in Nashville. My host did live within walking distance, which was convenient, but every other 1L I visited (went to 4 different houses/apartments) did not. I basically only went back to my host's house to sleep, and my host and his friends drove me around a bunch, which was great of them. I would suggest emailing your host to figure this out, because you probably will not be able to park on campus, and you're gonna have a 7:30 am start time on Friday.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:42 pm

Also, no need to dress up, but if you're a guy, I'd suggest wearing a collared shirt. I wore a long-sleeve tshirt to the first reception on Friday and felt underdressed. I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing a tshirt, you just might feel out of place.

observationalist

Postby observationalist » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:51 pm

Rawlsian wrote:Just got back from ASW. The campus is absolutely beautiful--magnolia and dogwood trees everywhere. The students and faculty really impressed me. The school's culture is difficult to articulate, but for lack of better words, it is absolutely a collegial community. There's a great chance I'll be there in the fall.

Don't forget to mention you got served beer by the president of the Vanderbilt Law Brewing Guild. (This assumes I heard you correctly when you said you went by rawlsian on TLS.)

Glad you had a fun time. This coming Friday is the pancake-eating contest, which makes it the third week in a row that we'll be starting off the weekend in Flynn. And this week we won't have a bunch of prospectives drinking all the beer. Not that we don't enjoy your presence or anything.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:59 pm

Any scholly negotiating success stories from vandy yet?

MF248

Postby MF248 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:21 pm

observationalist wrote:

Don't forget to mention you got served beer by the president of the Vanderbilt Law Brewing Guild. (This assumes I heard you correctly when you said you went by rawlsian on TLS.)

Glad you had a fun time. This coming Friday is the pancake-eating contest, which makes it the third week in a row that we'll be starting off the weekend in Flynn. And this week we won't have a bunch of prospectives drinking all the beer. Not that we don't enjoy your presence or anything.

....you guys even have a law brewing guild????

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:26 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:Any scholly negotiating success stories from vandy yet?

Still waiting. Anyone heard a response at all? :|

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”