Vanderbilt 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gogators

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby gogators » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm

Integrity wrote:If you had an alumni interview the first time around and were waitlisted, is it wise to make a trip to Nashville to interview with an adcomm if you truly desire to get off the waitlist? Or is that superfluous?

It is always a good thing. Especially at Vandy where the adcomms pride themselves on putting together the "right" class.

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:22 pm

Another 3/16 WL'er. Vanderbilt was not high on my list when I originally applied but they've been growing on me and I became a big fan in the last few months. Maybe my original lack of enthusiasm showed in my application somehow. Need to decide if I want to visit and wait it out or if I want to withdraw.

Different schools seem to handle scholarships differently for those admitted of the waitlist - anyone know if Vandy gives scholarships to WL-admits?? I heard about the waitlist via my hubby and am traveling so can't see if they answer that in the mailing.

smartblonde87

Postby smartblonde87 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:26 pm

Integrity wrote:If you had an alumni interview the first time around and were waitlisted, is it wise to make a trip to Nashville to interview with an adcomm if you truly desire to get off the waitlist? Or is that superfluous?

Interview requests were closed months ago -- I'm not sure how you'd be able to snag an appointment with that in mind :/

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:35 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:

Interview requests were closed months ago -- I'm not sure how you'd be able to snag an appointment with that in mind :/

They will not "interview" you, but someone in that admissions office will meet with you to answer any questions you have and discuss the waitlist process with you - your visit will also be noted in your file.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:21 pm

I'm trying to find info about the $200 ASD travel reimbursement, but I don't know where. Do any of yall have a web link to that or anything?

smacroon

Postby smacroon » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:26 pm

rad law wrote:I'm trying to find info about the $200 ASD travel reimbursement, but I don't know where. Do any of yall have a web link to that or anything?

Link with info about reimbursement
http://law.vanderbilt.edu/prospective-s ... index.aspx

The contact is Ryan.Willard@vanderbilt.edu

Hope that helps :)

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:27 pm

rad law wrote:I'm trying to find info about the $200 ASD travel reimbursement, but I don't know where. Do any of yall have a web link to that or anything?

Here is a link with info on travel reimbursment.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:29 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:

Thanks. Does anyone know if they will reimburse you if you rent a car? It doesn't say explicitly that they will, but I would assume they would?

forza

Postby forza » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:27 pm

smacroon wrote:Ryan.Willard@vanderbilt.edu

Coolest dude. Hang out with him if you get the chance.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:43 pm

forza wrote:

Seconded. I met with him twice in the fall and he's awesome, just a super nice guy.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:52 pm

rad law wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:

Thanks. Does anyone know if they will reimburse you if you rent a car? It doesn't say explicitly that they will, but I would assume they would?

Its for transportation expenses, up to $200. I assume that would count.

And I'd just like to say +1 to Vandy for helping out prospective students visit.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:59 pm

beesknees wrote:Its for transportation expenses, up to $200. I assume that would count.

And I'd just like to say +1 to Vandy for helping out prospective students visit.

I'm assuming the same, and echo the +1.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:30 pm

forza wrote:

+1 good guy. Hope he remembers me

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:32 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
forza wrote:

+1 good guy. Hope he remembers me

+1 He was so friendly, informative, and fun to chat with!

heyzeus

Postby heyzeus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:32 am

Still waiting from 2/9 under review date geezz

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:37 am

Has anyone recieved a response after trying to negotiate a scholarship increase? Anyone successful?

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:42 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:Has anyone recieved a response after trying to negotiate a scholarship increase? Anyone successful?

I was hoping to wait for my loan info before negotiating (so I have some real ground to stand on) but I have yet to receive it and the deadline is fast approaching. I will most likely send my request tonight or tomorrow. I will post when I get a response and pm those interested.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:45 am

pleasetryagain wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:Has anyone recieved a response after trying to negotiate a scholarship increase? Anyone successful?

I was hoping to wait for my loan info before negotiating (so I have some real ground to stand on) but I have yet to receive it and the deadline is fast approaching. I will most likely send my request tonight or tomorrow. I will post when I get a response and pm those interested.

I think I am going to send a request today or tomorrow as well, but I was waiting for USC's offer before trying in case I wanted to use it as well. I won't be using theirs so now it's just making sure I don't shoot myself in the foot with what I write.

sdv

Postby sdv » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:07 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:

I think I am going to send a request today or tomorrow as well, but I was waiting for USC's offer before trying in case I wanted to use it as well. I won't be using theirs so now it's just making sure I don't shoot myself in the foot with what I write.

I did (81 k) and got denied. I also thought I'd wait for my USC offer (I ended up not waiting) but it was slightly lower than Vandy's offer. I tried to negotiate with 72 K from Duke and 90 K from IUIUC.

Still 99.999% going there though!

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:09 pm

sdv wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:

I did (81 k) and got denied. I also thought I'd wait for my USC offer (I ended up not waiting) but it was slightly lower than Vandy's offer. I tried to negotiate with 72 K from Duke and 90 K from IUIUC.

Thanks... I am not counting on them increasing mine, but I will try. At most, I see myself getting bumped up to 81K, but not counting on it. If that is the case, I'll probably end up at WUSTL. It just makes too much sense for me, and while I think I'd prefer Vandy, not enough to pay that much more.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:10 pm

sdv wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:

Kind of off topic, but what is swaying you toward Vandy over Duke? Is it mostly the higher scholarship amount or your perception of the quality of life/quality of the school?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:12 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:Thanks... I am not counting on them increasing mine, but I will try. At most, I see myself getting bumped up to 81K, but not counting on it. If that is the case, I'll probably end up at WUSTL. It just makes too much sense for me, and while I think I'd prefer Vandy, not enough to pay that much more.

Same here on all counts... working on the email right now.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:14 pm

td6624 wrote:
sdv wrote:

Kind of off topic, but what is swaying you toward Vandy over Duke? Is it mostly the higher scholarship amount or your perception of the quality of life/quality of the school?

I know that wasn't directed towards me... but for me it is, in order of preference...
1) Scholarship
2) Location (I think I'd enjoy Nashville MUCH more than Durham, after 1L of course)
3) Where I want to work (south or Midwest, but Duke is strong there as well)
4) other reasons I can't put my finger on, but it just feels more right.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:18 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
td6624 wrote:
sdv wrote:

I know that wasn't directed towards me... but for me it is, in order of preference...
1) Scholarship
2) Location (I think I'd enjoy Nashville MUCH more than Durham, after 1L of course)
3) Where I want to work (south or Midwest, but Duke is strong there as well)
4) other reasons I can't put my finger on, but it just feels more right.

I know exactly what you mean by the bolded part.

sdv

Postby sdv » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:20 pm

Great question. My parents wonder the same thing. It's not that much more money (3 K per year) and Duke is more highly ranked, but Vandy is closer to my long term girlfriend (it's been 3+ years, and the past year apart while she's in med school in Alabama has been rough) and I LOVE its friendly, non-competitive atmosphere. Plus its the only T20 school to improve it's job placement last year (but that's really just a justification for what is really coming down to a gut decision)

Do I sound crazy?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”