Vanderbilt 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
observationalist

Bronze

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Post by observationalist » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:39 pm

gogators wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:
BlankC wrote:
Philo38 wrote:1: You are going to want to get a car

and 2: Nashville is definitely not redneck. Certainly, you will meet some rednecks in your day to day if your out and about, but that is probably true of most places. In general, Nashville has been able to support a very good variety of posh/modern/trendy restaurants right along with its honky-tonks. And I assure you there are plenty of liberals in the Vandy area.

Look at it this way, recently we got an all-male strip club called "arrow". I'm just saying, a town that can sustain that can't be too conservative right?
Not gunna lie. Nashville just gained a little more of my [strike]interest[/strike]... regard. :lol:

A shame about the car thing, though. Sounds like I'll have to re-learn how to drive. Thanks for the info about the Nashville atmosphere, much appreciated.
Honestly, one of the Vandy trolls (Observationalist) says that he's made it 3 years with no car, but you just have to live pretty close to the school. He's said that there's a couple of bus routes that are fairly standard and reliable that can get you to the main areas you'll need to be.
I have a few friends who don't have cars here and they get along just fine. It's really not necessary. The bus system doesn't have all too many runs, but it runs on time.
Yeah if you live anywhere right by school or down on the Number 7 line (where I live) and you'll be fine without a car. I've been slowly convincing my friends over the last few years to take the bus when we go out... it's free for Vandy grad students wherever and whenever you want to take it, so seriously look at the bus routes regardless of whether you have a car. [Reminder to Vandy 1Ls on this thread: stop cabbing to go out and take the bus for free. You're wasting two pitchers at Paradise Park every night you go out because you're too lazy to go to http://www.nashvillemta.org and click on the bus schedules.]

I will point out that I do, however, have a car that I use from time to time. It got its greatest use during OCI 2L year when I wanted to minimize walking around in a suit in the August heat. Now I use it generally whenever friends come to visit. If you live at 20& Grand, Adelecia, Barbizon, University Square, or Bristol on Broadway, you are less than a 5-minute walk to the law school and right on the Number 7 line which takes you down to Harris Teeter/Whole Foods/Trader Joes for food and Green Hills Mall for your other shopping needs.

Sorry for sounding like an infomercial on public transportation... I'll stop now.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:45 pm

observationalist wrote: Yeah if you live anywhere right by school or down on the Number 7 line (where I live) and you'll be fine without a car. I've been slowly convincing my friends over the last few years to take the bus when we go out... it's free for Vandy grad students wherever and whenever you want to take it, so seriously look at the bus routes regardless of whether you have a car. [Reminder to Vandy 1Ls on this thread: stop cabbing to go out and take the bus for free. You're wasting two pitchers at Paradise Park every night you go out because you're too lazy to go to http://www.nashvillemta.org and click on the bus schedules.]

I will point out that I do, however, have a car that I use from time to time. It got its greatest use during OCI 2L year when I wanted to minimize walking around in a suit in the August heat. Now I use it generally whenever friends come to visit. If you live at 20& Grand, Adelecia, Barbizon, University Square, or Bristol on Broadway, you are less than a 5-minute walk to the law school and right on the Number 7 line which takes you down to Harris Teeter/Whole Foods/Trader Joes for food and Green Hills Mall for your other shopping needs.

Sorry for sounding like an infomercial on public transportation... I'll stop now.
OMG disgusting anti-sedan trolling.

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:08 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
observationalist wrote: Yeah if you live anywhere right by school or down on the Number 7 line (where I live) and you'll be fine without a car. I've been slowly convincing my friends over the last few years to take the bus when we go out... it's free for Vandy grad students wherever and whenever you want to take it, so seriously look at the bus routes regardless of whether you have a car. [Reminder to Vandy 1Ls on this thread: stop cabbing to go out and take the bus for free. You're wasting two pitchers at Paradise Park every night you go out because you're too lazy to go to http://www.nashvillemta.org and click on the bus schedules.]

OMG disgusting anti-sedan trolling.
haha. [Still in library.]

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:24 am

Been complete since 1/4, still no decision . . . why can't they just let me in now instead of making me lose all this sleep at night :(

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:45 am

observationalist, Vandy should pay you for all of the PR you do for them on this site! Also, if you happpen across the admissions office go put in a good word for MissV ... I REALLY want them to let me in off the WL :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hhg

Bronze

Post by hhg » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:25 am

observationalist (or anybody else if you know the answer...) - for people on the wl, if admitted, does vandy provide any aid? i'm assuming schollys are out, but is need based aid still available? if so, how generous do they tend to be with it? thank you!!

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:33 am

hhg wrote:observationalist (or anybody else if you know the answer...) - for people on the wl, if admitted, does vandy provide any aid? i'm assuming schollys are out, but is need based aid still available? if so, how generous do they tend to be with it? thank you!!
No info on how waitlist affects $ but for comparison I received no need-based aid and I'm broke.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:11 pm

missvik218 wrote:observationalist, Vandy should pay you for all of the PR you do for them on this site! Also, if you happpen across the admissions office go put in a good word for MissV ... I REALLY want them to let me in off the WL :mrgreen:
hey where are you leaning towards so far in your cycle? wustl? gw? wake?

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:12 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
hhg wrote:observationalist (or anybody else if you know the answer...) - for people on the wl, if admitted, does vandy provide any aid? i'm assuming schollys are out, but is need based aid still available? if so, how generous do they tend to be with it? thank you!!
No info on how waitlist affects $ but for comparison I received no need-based aid and I'm broke.
:(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:14 pm

missvik218 wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:
:(
yes, sad face indeed. It'd be interesting to see what their qualifications are for need based grants/aid. I guess my income of <10k/year and my parents income of <30k/year doesn't cut it these days. I don't know what I'll do.

somewherewarm

New

Post by somewherewarm » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:55 pm

To hhg and miss V, I emailed Vandy admissions asking the question that hhg posed: if admitted off of the waitlist can one still qualify for need based aid because, alas, I too am on the waitlist. I was told that applicants admitted from the waitlist are considered for need based aid to the "extent that resources are available and if the Need Access form has been completed." I hope this helps and good luck getting off the waitlist (just don't take my spot).

hhg

Bronze

Post by hhg » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:46 pm

somewherewarm wrote:To hhg and miss V, I emailed Vandy admissions asking the question that hhg posed: if admitted off of the waitlist can one still qualify for need based aid because, alas, I too am on the waitlist. I was told that applicants admitted from the waitlist are considered for need based aid to the "extent that resources are available and if the Need Access form has been completed." I hope this helps and good luck getting off the waitlist (just don't take my spot).
haha, thank you somewherewarm! i was going to do the same thing. sounds like i won't get a very useful answer though if that's all you got out of them. where are you looking as an alternative? i got a pretty good amount of money from emory, and it caters to the markets i'm interested in (same as vandy), but the added prestige & respect that vandy has over emory is keeping me wondering which is a better option. (there are several things about emory though, proximity to family etc, that have keep me really interested in going there...) grrr decisions.

LS18

New

Post by LS18 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:03 pm

So what's the usual wait time between DM and receiving your letter in the mail?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:09 am

somewherewarm wrote:To hhg and miss V, I emailed Vandy admissions asking the question that hhg posed: if admitted off of the waitlist can one still qualify for need based aid because, alas, I too am on the waitlist. I was told that applicants admitted from the waitlist are considered for need based aid to the "extent that resources are available and if the Need Access form has been completed." I hope this helps and good luck getting off the waitlist (just don't take my spot).
Thank you for the info!! What is the Need Access form?!

entrechatsix

Bronze

Post by entrechatsix » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:14 am

LS18 wrote:So what's the usual wait time between DM and receiving your letter in the mail?
my admit was ~3 days. acceptances are sent priority mail and come quicker than rejections/wl.

somewherewarm

New

Post by somewherewarm » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:19 pm

missvik218 wrote:
Thank you for the info!! What is the Need Access form?!
Need Access is similar to FAFSA but it's a little more in-depth. Some other schools require it (Boston U, UCLA, and some T14s) It was due last month at Vandy for admitted students but since we're on the wl I don't think it matters when we have it completed, just as long at it is before we get accepted (IF we get accepted). It costs ~$28 which is kind of a drag but if it helps us get money we need then it's worth it.
I'll post the link (I'm not sure if it'll work, I've never posted a link on TLS before). Just fill it out and under the section where it asks what school it's for, make sure you say Vandy.

http://www.needaccess.org/

LS18

New

Post by LS18 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:50 pm

Are scholarship offers sent with the acceptance package or separately? If separately, will they inform you regardless of you receive a scholarship or not? Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:59 pm

LS18 wrote:Are scholarship offers sent with the acceptance package or separately? If separately, will they inform you regardless of you receive a scholarship or not? Thanks!
I got my acceptance package first, and a scholarship offer a few weeks later in the mail.

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:43 pm

missvik218 wrote:observationalist, Vandy should pay you for all of the PR you do for them on this site! Also, if you happpen across the admissions office go put in a good word for MissV ... I REALLY want them to let me in off the WL :mrgreen:
well so long as they offer up some sweet deal to subsidize my IBR payments for a few years like GULC/UCLA etc are doing for PI grads, I won't have any complaints. JD's are too expensive right now but I've enjoyed my time in Nashville immensely and until Belmont Law opens up in a few years there's no other way to simultaneously get a law degree and live in Music City. Just picked up tix to see Levon Helm at the Ryman next month and am going to Foreigner at the Ryman this Tuesday... such an awesome venue.

I can't say that I have much pull with admissions but I can encourage you to do what most of the successful WL-accepts have done in past cycles... visit, stay in touch, update your file, and develop a rapport with the team that will be periodically reviewing your file. much more so than with other schools, they seem to treat the WL as the chance to sort out who they like. to get in with lower numbers than the accepted pile you generally need to show that you're employable, whether that's through a well-managed campaign on your own behalf for why they should admit you or whether it's by revealing yourself to be a personable, articulate candidate who will be able to land a job despite your performance in law school.*

* this is admittedly a littler harder to do this year than before, which is why the 1Ls have had a harder time enjoying themselves than we did. but the best ones are still networking their way into summer gigs and representing the school well, and if you show yourself as having that sort of potential then I imagine admissions will look more favorably on you. since it's such a small school individuals can and do have a noticeable effect on the culture and presumably the brand name.

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:24 pm

How bike-friendly is Nashville?

Thunder Jones

Bronze

Post by Thunder Jones » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:39 am

Rawlsian wrote:How bike-friendly is Nashville?
Not too friendly at all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pearl_earrings

Bronze

Post by pearl_earrings » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:19 pm

Thunder Jones wrote:
Rawlsian wrote:How bike-friendly is Nashville?
Not too friendly at all.
When I visited, students unanimously said a car was needed. Apparently a few people survive without one, but it's not ideal.

Thunder Jones

Bronze

Post by Thunder Jones » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:09 pm

pearl_earrings wrote: When I visited, students unanimously said a car was needed. Apparently a few people survive without one, but it's not ideal.
Survive is the right term. I'm not sure Nashvillians understand the notion of "Yield to Pedestrians".

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:11 pm

Thunder Jones wrote:
pearl_earrings wrote: When I visited, students unanimously said a car was needed. Apparently a few people survive without one, but it's not ideal.
Survive is the right term. I'm not sure Nashvillians understand the notion of "Yield to Pedestrians".
I just noticed your avatar for the first time, classic.

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:53 am

Rawlsian wrote:
Thunder Jones wrote:
I just noticed your avatar for the first time, classic.
As a student, I know that I personally couldn't survive without a car. But I know others who don't have one and just an enthusiastically say that its truly not needed. So long as you can get groceries nearby, the bus system as Observationalist said is pretty good (and pay close attention to his discussion about taking it to the bars as a ride to Broadway from the law school runs about 10 each way and that tends to eat into your budget).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”