Vanderbilt 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pleasetryagain

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby pleasetryagain » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:42 am

When I lived up north we considered Maryland the South. Now that I live in the South I realize many southerners consider it the North. My opinion: if the whole state is south of the Mason-Dixon line then = south.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:45 am

Maryland isn't the south. Northern Virginia isn't the south.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:47 am

pleasetryagain wrote:When I lived up north we considered Maryland the South. Now that I live in the South I realize many southerners consider it the North. My opinion: if the whole state is south of the Mason-Dixon line then = south.

Expect for Florida, which is not south. And I mean real Florida, not South Alabama and South Georgia

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:48 am

pleasetryagain wrote:When I lived up north we considered Maryland the South. Now that I live in the South I realize many southerners consider it the North. My opinion: if the whole state is south of the Mason-Dixon line then = south.

I'm not saying it isn't the south, I'm just saying I've got my eye on it. Its like a shape shifter. I will tell you one thing though, you can definitely find good southern food in Baltimore, so there's one point for it. But its cold winters make me uncomfortable. It's like the blacksheep of the south.

timelovesahero

Postby timelovesahero » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:50 am

cardinalandgold wrote:
beesknees wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:April 9th ASW for me.

Ditto. I'm really excited. I hope that visiting will make my decision easier. I'm visiting Michigan next week, but it'd be hard to turn down having over half of my tuition covered for only somewhat better placement (Michigan places around 60% in top firms vs Vandy places close to 50%).

Who else is facing the T10 vs Vandy with good $ dilemma?

I am in a similar spot as well. $$ at Vandy but facing full sticker at Michigan. I don't want to be in the South, and would like to return to California after law school, so I'm leaning Michigan, but it's hard to walk away from close to half tuition.

Michigan (I'm guessing full price, but I haven't heard anything other than acceptance yet) vs Vandy with 20k a year for me. Its quite a battle in my head. Emory might also be in the running if they would tell me anything concerning acceptance and potential money. UGA also because it is cheap and nearby some very dear people to me (though I am worried about the portability of that degree)

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:51 am

CyLaw wrote:

Expect for Florida, which is not south. And I mean real Florida, not South Alabama and South Georgia

Central Florida is about as South as you get. I will agree that the coast can get very un-southy. Florida is impossible to pin down, its the only place on earth where conservative old folks, Native Americans, alligators, rednecks, gay people, supermodels, and several species of endangered plants and animals can co-exist so well.

gmichaelbluth

Postby gmichaelbluth » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:01 pm

Philo38 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

Central Florida is about as South as you get. I will agree that the coast can get very un-southy. Florida is impossible to pin down, its the only place on earth where conservative old folks, Native Americans, alligators, gay people, supermodels, and several species of endangered plants and animals can co-exist so well.

Not the South: Florida (all of it), Texas, Maryland, WV, Missouri.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:24 pm

gmichaelbluth wrote:Not the South: Florida (all of it)

Don't tell people from North and Central FL that. They will shoot you and spit tobacco juice on your dead body.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:25 pm

I wish I could go to the ASW... but I already have flight/hotel booked for GW's that weekend.

Schools need to learn to schedule things around me. So inconsiderate.

gmichaelbluth

Postby gmichaelbluth » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:40 pm

rad law wrote:
gmichaelbluth wrote:Not the South: Florida (all of it)

Don't tell people from North and Central FL that. They will shoot you and spit tobacco juice on your dead body.

Jealousy, I understand. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :)

BlankC

Postby BlankC » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:26 pm

Philo38 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

Central Florida is about as South as you get. I will agree that the coast can get very un-southy. Florida is impossible to pin down, its the only place on earth where conservative old folks, Native Americans, alligators, rednecks, gay people, supermodels, and several species of endangered plants and animals can co-exist so well.

Yup. I'd say about Orlando down, you're pretty okay, but north of that it's just like... what happened? :shock:

Speaking of Hick-ness, how is Nashville itself? Large/small, super country/relatively (compared other south) progressive? I've lived in big cities all my life, and although Vandy is by far my best option, I'm not sure how I'd do area-wise.

Vandy's box seemed pretty self-conscious about being in Nashville, which makes me a bit suspicious of surrounding red-neckery.

Thunder Jones

Postby Thunder Jones » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:33 pm

BlankC wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:
Speaking of Hick-ness, how is Nashville itself? Large/small, super country/relatively (compared other south) progressive? I've lived in big cities all my life, and although Vandy is by far my best option, I'm not sure how I'd do area-wise.

Vandy's box seemed pretty self-conscious about being in Nashville, which makes me a bit suspicious of surrounding red-neckery.

I live in Nashville and really like it. If you're looking for a more liberal scene, move to East Nashville or the "12 South" neighborhood. The city has really changed over the past decade and there are neighborhoods that really get behind local businesses. Then again, there's chunks of town that embrace "New South"-yness and look like they could just as easily been in Charlotte or Atlanta.

Nashville is the most liberal city in the state and East Nashville is the most liberal part of Nashville.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:48 pm

BlankC wrote:Yup. I'd say about Orlando down, you're pretty okay, but north of that it's just like... what happened? :shock:

Like I said
CyLaw wrote:And I mean real Florida, not South Alabama and South Georgia

BlankC

Postby BlankC » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:52 pm

Thunder Jones wrote:
BlankC wrote:

I live in Nashville and really like it. If you're looking for a more liberal scene, move to East Nashville or the "12 South" neighborhood. The city has really changed over the past decade and there are neighborhoods that really get behind local businesses. Then again, there's chunks of town that embrace "New South"-yness and look like they could just as easily been in Charlotte or Atlanta.

Nashville is the most liberal city in the state and East Nashville is the most liberal part of Nashville.

Cool, thanks. Doesn't sound that bad. :) Is Vandy located in commercial Nashville or sort of in a suburb? My box got sent to my mother's house instead of my dorm, so I can't dig through it. Hard to tell from the site.

Thinking about whether or not I would need to get a car. How is public transportation?

@Cylaw: Lol. Yes. I think I'll start calling them by their proper names, too. :lol:

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:06 pm

gmichaelbluth wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

Central Florida is about as South as you get. I will agree that the coast can get very un-southy. Florida is impossible to pin down, its the only place on earth where conservative old folks, Native Americans, alligators, gay people, supermodels, and several species of endangered plants and animals can co-exist so well.

Not the South: Florida (all of it), Texas, Maryland, WV, Missouri.

South= Slave owning states at the start of the Civil War, wait, I mean, the "war between the states." I better get used to that If I end up going to Vandy.

rccohla

Postby rccohla » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:08 pm

South= Slave owning states at the start of the Civil War, wait, I mean, the "war between the states." I better get used to that If I end up going to Vandy.[/quote]

With all due respect, I believe you are referring to the "War of Northern Aggression."

Thunder Jones

Postby Thunder Jones » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:12 pm

BlankC wrote:
Thunder Jones wrote:
BlankC wrote:

Cool, thanks. Doesn't sound that bad. :) Is Vandy located in commercial Nashville or sort of in a suburb? My box got sent to my mother's house instead of my dorm, so I can't dig through it. Hard to tell from the site.

Thinking about whether or not I would need to get a car. How is public transportation?

@Cylaw: Lol. Yes. I think I'll start calling them by their proper names, too. :lol:

Vandy is pretty much in center of Nashville. There's no way it can be considered a suburban campus. Getting around without a car would be sketchy, but doable if you're determined. Public transportation is terribly spotty. Things are getting better under the new mayor, but they are still lacking.

That said, if you want to live someplace a little more affordable, you can live within about a 10-15min drive from Vandy and save yourself a good chunk of cash each month. I'd plan for a car.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:19 pm

rccohla wrote:
some damn yankee wrote:South= Slave owning states at the start of the Civil War, wait, I mean, the "war between the states." I better get used to that If I end up going to Vandy.

With all due respect, I believe you are referring to the "War of Northern Aggression."

TITCR, lol.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:20 pm

rccohla wrote:South= Slave owning states at the start of the Civil War, wait, I mean, the "war between the states." I better get used to that If I end up going to Vandy.

With all due respect, I believe you are referring to the "War of Northern Aggression."[/quote]
:lol: TCR

fomenting

Postby fomenting » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:24 pm

75k at vandy or berkeley sticker?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:25 pm

I asked this in another thread, but I thought I would ask it here. Anyone know if/how Vanderbilt does travel stipends for ASP?

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:27 pm

fomenting wrote:75k at vandy or berkeley sticker?

edit: incorrect info.
Last edited by Rawlsian on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:31 pm

BlankC wrote:
Thunder Jones wrote:
BlankC wrote:

1: You are going to want to get a car

and 2: Nashville is definitely not redneck. Certainly, you will meet some rednecks in your day to day if your out and about, but that is probably true of most places. In general, Nashville has been able to support a very good variety of posh/modern/trendy restaurants right along with its honky-tonks. And I assure you there are plenty of liberals in the Vandy area.

Look at it this way, recently we got an all-male strip club called "arrow". I'm just saying, a town that can sustain that can't be too conservative right?

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:38 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Maryland isn't the south. [strike]Northern Virginia[/strike]isn't the south.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_of_Northern_Virginia

fomenting

Postby fomenting » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:43 pm

Rawlsian wrote:
fomenting wrote:75k at vandy or berkeley sticker?

Do you have a shot at need based aid? Last year Berkeley's need based grants = $70,000+. If not, where do you want to practice?

oh wow, there need based aid is that good?! not really sure waht i wanna do...i'd like to do big law, but im getting more and more interested in international human rights law....and i know their PI loan repayment is amazing

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”