Vanderbilt 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
brandontrout
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby brandontrout » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:43 pm

45k Dean's Scholly :?

manwitaplan
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby manwitaplan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:46 pm

Is anyone definitely going to Vanderbilt yet?

86revolt
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby 86revolt » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:54 pm

guess i was wrong. 45k dean's scholarship in the mail yesterday. 165/3.9. makes the UT v. Vandy decision that much more difficult since i got nothing from UT...

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby CyLaw » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:58 pm

manwitaplan wrote:Is anyone definitely going to Vanderbilt yet?


I am thinking Forza may be.

User avatar
beesknees
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby beesknees » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:00 pm

thickfreakness wrote:April 9th ASW for me.


Ditto. I'm really excited. I hope that visiting will make my decision easier. I'm visiting Michigan next week, but it'd be hard to turn down having over half of my tuition covered for only somewhat better placement (Michigan places around 60% in top firms vs Vandy places close to 50%).

Who else is facing the T10 vs Vandy with good $ dilemma?

blueberrymuffin
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby blueberrymuffin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:13 pm

beesknees wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:April 9th ASW for me.


Ditto. I'm really excited. I hope that visiting will make my decision easier. I'm visiting Michigan next week, but it'd be hard to turn down having over half of my tuition covered for only somewhat better placement (Michigan places around 60% in top firms vs Vandy places close to 50%).

Who else is facing the T10 vs Vandy with good $ dilemma?


My Vandy $$ isn't as good as your offer, but I'm in the same boat right now.

User avatar
beesknees
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby beesknees » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:21 pm

blueberrymuffin wrote:
beesknees wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:April 9th ASW for me.


Ditto. I'm really excited. I hope that visiting will make my decision easier. I'm visiting Michigan next week, but it'd be hard to turn down having over half of my tuition covered for only somewhat better placement (Michigan places around 60% in top firms vs Vandy places close to 50%).

Who else is facing the T10 vs Vandy with good $ dilemma?


My Vandy $$ isn't as good as your offer, but I'm in the same boat right now.


A big factor for me is the fact that I'm from the south and will want to practice in the south. Though I know it might be damn hard to turn down a great school like Michigan, I'm really leaning towards doing it. I know almost everyone on here has to face the tough decision of going to the best school they got into vs their target school with $.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:50 pm

CyLaw wrote:
manwitaplan wrote:Is anyone definitely going to Vanderbilt yet?


I am thinking Forza may be.


His Vanderbilt tar indicates yes?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:53 pm

beesknees wrote:A big factor for me is the fact that I'm from the south and will want to practice in the south. Though I know it might be damn hard to turn down a great school like Michigan, I'm really leaning towards doing it. I know almost everyone on here has to face the tough decision of going to the best school they got into vs their target school with $.


Since you're sure you want to stay down South, I'd say follow the money and go Vandy. If for some reason your plans change, Vandy has decent placement to take you out of the South if you so desire.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:02 pm

beesknees wrote:
blueberrymuffin wrote:
beesknees wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:April 9th ASW for me.


Ditto. I'm really excited. I hope that visiting will make my decision easier. I'm visiting Michigan next week, but it'd be hard to turn down having over half of my tuition covered for only somewhat better placement (Michigan places around 60% in top firms vs Vandy places close to 50%).

Who else is facing the T10 vs Vandy with good $ dilemma?


My Vandy $$ isn't as good as your offer, but I'm in the same boat right now.


A big factor for me is the fact that I'm from the south and will want to practice in the south. Though I know it might be damn hard to turn down a great school like Michigan, I'm really leaning towards doing it. I know almost everyone on here has to face the tough decision of going to the best school they got into vs their target school with $.


I'm anticipating 60K or more from Duke and I really have no clue what UVA will do. If I get a decent offer from either of those two places it's going to be a much tougher decision. I'll just have to visit and get a feel for which school or area is going to be the best fit for me. I too want to practice in the south after school, but I'd also like to pursue a federal clerkship and have academia as an option sometime down the line. It just seems that the odds of getting a clerkship are slim unless one is at HYS (and the odds of entering academia down the line even slimmer), so I'm not sure how prudent it would be to let those considerations unduly influence my school choice. So, long story short, Vandy's the offer to beat for me right now.

strokes788
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby strokes788 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:06 pm

Same boat, Vandy 60K dean's scholarship, UT 84K dean's excellence scholarship, but as someone who wants to go to big law and work in California, NYC, Chicago, DC, or Boston, and definitely not in the south, Im split on these scholarships v. possible sticker at Duke/Northwestern/Georgetown (hoping for a Duke scholly, holding out meager hope for some merit aid from Northwestern, not feeling GT on the aid as they seem really random/a bit stingy). Its just tough to turn down a T10, and such great schools, because I feel it could be something I regret later on in life

User avatar
cardinalandgold
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:18 pm

beesknees wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:April 9th ASW for me.


Ditto. I'm really excited. I hope that visiting will make my decision easier. I'm visiting Michigan next week, but it'd be hard to turn down having over half of my tuition covered for only somewhat better placement (Michigan places around 60% in top firms vs Vandy places close to 50%).

Who else is facing the T10 vs Vandy with good $ dilemma?

I am in a similar spot as well. $$ at Vandy but facing full sticker at Michigan. I don't want to be in the South, and would like to return to California after law school, so I'm leaning Michigan, but it's hard to walk away from close to half tuition.

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby pleasetryagain » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:25 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:
beesknees wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:April 9th ASW for me.


Ditto. I'm really excited. I hope that visiting will make my decision easier. I'm visiting Michigan next week, but it'd be hard to turn down having over half of my tuition covered for only somewhat better placement (Michigan places around 60% in top firms vs Vandy places close to 50%).

Who else is facing the T10 vs Vandy with good $ dilemma?

I am in a similar spot as well. $$ at Vandy but facing full sticker at Michigan. I don't want to be in the South, and would like to return to California after law school, so I'm leaning Michigan, but it's hard to walk away from close to half tuition.


Ever been to Michigan in the winter? :wink:

User avatar
beesknees
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby beesknees » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:20 pm

.
Last edited by beesknees on Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cardinalandgold
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:24 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:
beesknees wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:April 9th ASW for me.


Ditto. I'm really excited. I hope that visiting will make my decision easier. I'm visiting Michigan next week, but it'd be hard to turn down having over half of my tuition covered for only somewhat better placement (Michigan places around 60% in top firms vs Vandy places close to 50%).

Who else is facing the T10 vs Vandy with good $ dilemma?

I am in a similar spot as well. $$ at Vandy but facing full sticker at Michigan. I don't want to be in the South, and would like to return to California after law school, so I'm leaning Michigan, but it's hard to walk away from close to half tuition.


Ever been to Michigan in the winter? :wink:

Bring it on! Spent most of my life across the border in Toronto.

User avatar
roxj
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:09 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby roxj » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:33 pm

I know what you guys mean. NYU was my number one choice, I've dreamed of going there for years, and I actually got in. It is hard to turn that down, regardless of what amazing offers come along.

Not complaining about being in this position, just saying that it's a hard choice to make.

User avatar
luhrenzo
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:11 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby luhrenzo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:46 pm

what are my odds? 164/3.53 URM. pretty solid softs. I went complete 1/21. Got rejected from GW and was expecting a wl at the least so I'm kinda jaded and have no ability to gauge my chances. give it to me straight...

thanks

User avatar
pearl_earrings
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby pearl_earrings » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:13 am

Envelope today: 81 k Chancellor's award. I am thrilled!
Does anyone know specifics of the "in good standing" stipulation?
I guess I should pick a time to visit... it's going to be a tough choice because I definitely favor the south, and Tulane and Emory are both calling my name...

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby najumobi » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:18 am

pearl_earrings wrote:Envelope today: 81 k Chancellor's award. I am thrilled!
Does anyone know specifics of the "in good standing" stipulation?
I guess I should pick a time to visit... it's going to be a tough choice because I definitely favor the south, and Tulane and Emory are both calling my name...
lol...you don't consider tennessee the south? the only states for which there are commonly disputes over whether they are part of the south are missouri, west virginia, and maryland.

User avatar
pearl_earrings
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby pearl_earrings » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:28 am

najumobi wrote:
pearl_earrings wrote:Envelope today: 81 k Chancellor's award. I am thrilled!
Does anyone know specifics of the "in good standing" stipulation?
I guess I should pick a time to visit... it's going to be a tough choice because I definitely favor the south, and Tulane and Emory are both calling my name...
lol...you don't consider tennessee the south? the only states for which there are commonly disputes over whether they are part of the south are missouri, west virginia, and maryland.

Fair! I was hoping for warmer weather though! It's 34 there right now...

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby najumobi » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:32 am

pearl_earrings wrote:
najumobi wrote:
pearl_earrings wrote:Envelope today: 81 k Chancellor's award. I am thrilled!
Does anyone know specifics of the "in good standing" stipulation?
I guess I should pick a time to visit... it's going to be a tough choice because I definitely favor the south, and Tulane and Emory are both calling my name...
lol...you don't consider tennessee the south? the only states for which there are commonly disputes over whether they are part of the south are missouri, west virginia, and maryland.

Fair! I was hoping for warmer weather though! It's 34 there right now...
ah...ic your point.

general100
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:12 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby general100 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:40 am

I'm deciding between Vandy ($45k/year) and Berkeley -- probably not a dilemma in which many find themselves. Want to be in NY, DC, or ATL, but have never even been to California. Could change my mind about that when I visit, I guess...

User avatar
MF248
Posts: 229
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:25 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby MF248 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:21 am

pearl_earrings wrote:Envelope today: 81 k Chancellor's award. I am thrilled!
Does anyone know specifics of the "in good standing" stipulation?
I guess I should pick a time to visit... it's going to be a tough choice because I definitely favor the south, and Tulane and Emory are both calling my name...


I visited the school yesterday (was actually driving to nashville when my parents called to tell me about the scholly), and asked about the good standing part. There's no grade requirement, it's basically as long as you go to class/have a pulse you have it for all 3 years.

td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby td6624 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:31 am

MF248 wrote:
I visited the school yesterday (was actually driving to nashville when my parents called to tell me about the scholly), and asked about the good standing part. There's no grade requirement, it's basically as long as you go to class/have a pulse you have it for all 3 years.


nice.

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby Philo38 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:35 am

najumobi wrote:
pearl_earrings wrote:Envelope today: 81 k Chancellor's award. I am thrilled!
Does anyone know specifics of the "in good standing" stipulation?
I guess I should pick a time to visit... it's going to be a tough choice because I definitely favor the south, and Tulane and Emory are both calling my name...
lol...you don't consider tennessee the south? the only states for which there are commonly disputes over whether they are part of the south are missouri, west virginia, and maryland.


Maryland's south status is definitely sketchy . . . I'm suspicious of that Maryland.Very suspicious.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: laowhynot109 and 11 guests