Vanderbilt 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hhg

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby hhg » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:43 pm

dm 1/27 got my wl letter in the mail today. was expecting it, so not upset. hoping to get in eventually, although this may change depending on acceptances from other schools. 168/3.4x

td6624

Postby td6624 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:00 pm

DM on 1/29.

168 LSAT and 3.814 (every thousandth of a point matters, right?) GPA. Not really sure how to judge my softs, but I'll assume that means they weren't spectacular. I can't remember if Vandy was one of the schools that explicitly stated it wanted "social diversity," but I'm gay, for what it's worth. I also did not interview.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 pm

Just sent in my LOCI, yay! Next one comes around spring break.

NeedAdviceNow

Postby NeedAdviceNow » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:43 am

I've been complete since mid January. I'm a reverse splitter and worried I'll get rejected without even a WL. I also did the interview and a visit a couple of months ago. Do you think I should go for another visit maybe to show that it's my top choice or should I not do it because it'll just annoy them? Thanks in advance

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:45 am

NeedAdviceNow wrote:I've been complete since mid January. I'm a reverse splitter and worried I'll get rejected without even a WL. I also did the interview and a visit a couple of months ago. Do you think I should go for another visit maybe to show that it's my top choice or should I not do it because it'll just annoy them? Thanks in advance

you could visit them, but i don't think it'll help with their initial decision. if you're indeed a splitter, you shouldn't worry about being rejected. you'll get waitlisted and maybe then your visits may come into play.

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:59 am

Just got the packet -- I'm in! DM on 1/29.

Good God, the packet is a brick. It is huge.

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:00 pm

itsirtou wrote:Just got the packet -- I'm in! DM on 1/29.

Congrats!

jammybaby

Postby jammybaby » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:08 pm

DM 1/29
174/3.71
I interviewed

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:27 pm

I am a DM 1/29 as well, same LSAT but lower GPA, and I hope your acceptance is a good sign for me. I am going to check my mailbox as soon as I head to class.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:32 pm

I was DM on 1/29 as well, but nothing in the mail as of today.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:40 pm

Looking for advice about whether or not to visit:

I'm considering making a pilgrimage to Vanderbilt/Nashville on President's Day to visit the school, see the town, and talk to admissions people.

My numbers are low for Vandy, but I have yet to be WLd or rejected and I've been "complete" since 12/7. I spoke with another applicant, who has been waiting a similar amount of time with similar numbers, and was told during a visit that they were basically on an internal hold, which I guess means the school likes them but can't decide YET if they're willing to take their numbers.

After that discussion I've been trying to decide if a visit is worth it?! Do people think this makes a significant impact? Assuming you're pleasant, can add some insight into your application, give a better overall picture of yourself to the admissions committee, etc, etc. I already interviewed, but it was with a local alumnus back in October. I guess I know it won't hurt, but how much do people think this can actually help?

Feel free to PM me. Thanks!

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:21 pm

Congrats!

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:44 pm

td6624 wrote:

I was DM on 1/29 as well, but nothing in the mail as of today.

I think I got it really quickly because I'm actually a student here. I wouldn't worry if you haven't gotten it yet. :)

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:12 pm

missvik218 wrote:Looking for advice about whether or not to visit:

I'm considering making a pilgrimage to Vanderbilt/Nashville on President's Day to visit the school, see the town, and talk to admissions people.

My numbers are low for Vandy, but I have yet to be WLd or rejected and I've been "complete" since 12/7. I spoke with another applicant, who has been waiting a similar amount of time with similar numbers, and was told during a visit that they were basically on an internal hold, which I guess means the school likes them but can't decide YET if they're willing to take their numbers.

After that discussion I've been trying to decide if a visit is worth it?! Do people think this makes a significant impact? Assuming you're pleasant, can add some insight into your application, give a better overall picture of yourself to the admissions committee, etc, etc. I already interviewed, but it was with a local alumnus back in October. I guess I know it won't hurt, but how much do people think this can actually help?

This could definitely help, and it can't hurt. I'm actually taking advantage of the President's day holiday (hard to find time to visit when working) to visit my top choice school (not Vanderbilt). I scheduled an informal, non-evaluative meeting with an admissions officer. Although it's technically not a part of the admissions process, I have a hard time believing that it is totally isolated from the adcom's decision making process. I think it has the potential to be more powerful than any LOCI or "Why X?" essay could ever be.

My plan is to ask questions that demonstrate my specific interests and how those interests fit with the school. I scheduled the meeting for the end of the day, so that I can say, "hey, I've spent the whole day looking at your school and I LOVE it. I think I'd be a great fit here. Is there anything else I can do to make this dream a reality?"

Of course you'd want to play by the rules: research the school ahead of time, act professional, prepare thoughtful questions that can't be answered by looking at their admissions brochure, and do not talk at length about yourself unless invited to. Treat it like an informational interview (i.e., respect their position and do not treat it like an evaluative interview), but realize that every impression counts.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:45 pm

I'm curious about the fact that being complete since 12/7 with no decision means an internal hold of some kind; I'm also complete as of that date with below median numbers, so that's rather interesting. I thought that since we even at two months yet, it was hard to read anything into the silence coming from Nashville. I hope your friend is right and they like something in the non-numbers part of our apps; it just seems rather early for that.

As for your visit, I think astro has the right of it. It can only help, and give you an opportunity to show how much you like the school, how good a fit you'd be, all that good stuff.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:16 pm

astro1819 wrote:

This could definitely help, and it can't hurt. I'm actually taking advantage of the President's day holiday (hard to find time to visit when working) to visit my top choice school (not Vanderbilt). I scheduled an informal, non-evaluative meeting with an admissions officer. Although it's technically not a part of the admissions process, I have a hard time believing that it is totally isolated from the adcom's decision making process. I think it has the potential to be more powerful than any LOCI or "Why X?" essay could ever be.

My plan is to ask questions that demonstrate my specific interests and how those interests fit with the school. I scheduled the meeting for the end of the day, so that I can say, "hey, I've spent the whole day looking at your school and I LOVE it. I think I'd be a great fit here. Is there anything else I can do to make this dream a reality?"

Of course you'd want to play by the rules: research the school ahead of time, act professional, prepare thoughtful questions that can't be answered by looking at their admissions brochure, and do not talk at length about yourself unless invited to. Treat it like an informational interview (i.e., respect their position and do not treat it like an evaluative interview), but realize that every impression counts.

This is definitely evaluative. Vandy sepcifically evaluates people dropping by.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:28 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:I'm curious about the fact that being complete since 12/7 with no decision means an internal hold of some kind; I'm also complete as of that date with below median numbers, so that's rather interesting. I thought that since we even at two months yet, it was hard to read anything into the silence coming from Nashville. I hope your friend is right and they like something in the non-numbers part of our apps; it just seems rather early for that.

As for your visit, I think astro has the right of it. It can only help, and give you an opportunity to show how much you like the school, how good a fit you'd be, all that good stuff.

I may be reaching, and it might have just been their application - but I'm trying to keep the faith here :)

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:51 pm

I wonder if I'm undergoing this internal review. I've been complete for a couple of months, but who knows when my interviewer submitted his evaluation.

burtonrideclub

Postby burtonrideclub » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:57 pm

I've been complete since 11/30, pretty surprised I haven't been WL/dinged yet. 166, 3.53

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:20 pm

MarkRento wrote:
This is definitely evaluative. Vandy sepcifically evaluates people dropping by.

Source?

bk641

Postby bk641 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:34 am

been complete since 11/10 (!) and no word from vandy. they confirmed they received a report from my interviewer. 3.82/168, international.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:23 am

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smacroon

Postby smacroon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:24 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:DM 2/2! Even though I just found out I'm DM, I think knowing they've made a decision, but not knowing what it is for a week is almost worse than unreliable status checkers.

Assuming I get in, do they give scholarship info in the acceptance packet? Vandy is pretty high on my list due to location.

No they just send the acceptance packet and are making scholarship decisions in "February" apparently. Gotta love more waiting. Good luck :D

meowmeow

Postby meowmeow » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:33 am

162, 3.85, URM

complete 1/28

DM 2/02

fingers crossed :)

wakefield

Postby wakefield » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:35 am

Why does Vandy hate me?! Complete 1/22, still no DM. fml.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”