Vanderbilt 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lz06
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:41 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby lz06 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:37 pm

Did anyone who was accepted already NOT have an interview?

User avatar
JordynAsh
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby JordynAsh » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:45 pm

stephhu wrote:Just almost had a stroke when I saw my decision was mailed yesterday.

I interviewed on 10/15, Dean Morton came to my undergrad to interview prospectives.....

Application Received Date: 10/11/2009
LSDAS Request Date: 10/11/2009
Completed Date: 10/16/2009
Decision Mailed Date: 11/10/2009


I can't wait for it to get here.....I'm in Philly so I assume it will take a few days...


I'm so nervous. Good luck everyone!


GRR..

Received: 9/10/09
LSDAS: 9/10/09
Completed: 9/17/09

Interviewed 11/2, and still no decision mailed date; I think I will be expecting a ding from Vandy. Good luck to everyone!

User avatar
panadera
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:36 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby panadera » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:57 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
stephhu wrote:Just almost had a stroke when I saw my decision was mailed yesterday.

I interviewed on 10/15, Dean Morton came to my undergrad to interview prospectives.....

Application Received Date: 10/11/2009
LSDAS Request Date: 10/11/2009
Completed Date: 10/16/2009
Decision Mailed Date: 11/10/2009


I can't wait for it to get here.....I'm in Philly so I assume it will take a few days...


I'm so nervous. Good luck everyone!


GRR..

Received: 9/10/09
LSDAS: 9/10/09
Completed: 9/17/09

Interviewed 11/2, and still no decision mailed date; I think I will be expecting a ding from Vandy. Good luck to everyone!


I'm with you.
Oh Vanderbilt, please love me back!!
Last edited by panadera on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wired
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby wired » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:30 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
stephhu wrote:
Received: 9/10/09
LSDAS: 9/10/09
Completed: 9/17/09

Interviewed 11/2, and still no decision mailed date; I think I will be expecting a ding from Vandy. Good luck to everyone!


I wouldn't expect the ding for two reasons.

1) It is likely they do not review your app until after the interview which means, at the earliest, they would have looked at it a week ago. You may just be backlogged.
2) Even if they have already reviewed it, they are probably doing a first run where they admit applicants they are absolutely positive they want. If that holds, you have a decreased chance of admission, but could still have a great chance of getting in.

At least these are the things I tell myself... :wink:

User avatar
gotmilk?
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:25 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby gotmilk? » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:43 pm

lz06 wrote:Did anyone who was accepted already NOT have an interview?


I am curious about this too. I essentially have auto-admit numbers, so I'm wondering whether I should make the trek somewhere they are doing interviews.

stephhu
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:35 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby stephhu » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:03 pm

In at Vanderbilt! YES!

I received my HUGE box today from Vandy. The building mail room didn't believe me when I said it was from a law school, she thought it must be an online purchase or something, haha! I was so giddy/nervous/exhilarated.
* I loved that the "Insider's guide to Vandy Law" was also entitled "Obiter Dictum" for all of you law/latin nerds

Just to remind you:

Application Received Date: 10/11/2009
LSDAS Request Date: 10/11/2009
--Interview with Dean Morton at my undergrad
Completed Date: 10/16/2009
Decision Mailed Date: 11/10/2009

Good luck everyone =)

stephhu
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:35 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby stephhu » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:16 pm

CyLaw wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Has anyone in here done a Vanderbilt interview? I'm visiting Vanderbilt on Friday and I am curious as to what you thought. I know most people say that they are very laid back and comfortable, but I am curious as to what questions you were asked, how long it lasted, etc. Any feedback would be great.


I did an off site, phone interview with an alum, so I do not have much insight into the onsite interviews. They asked me about my interest in law and Vanderbilt, where I want to go in the future, and if I came from a legal family.

stephhu interviewed with the dean, and I think someone else one or two pages back had a onsite interview. Hopefully they will chip in their advice.

My advice. Just be yourself and be curious. Have questions for them. Don't try to rehearse answers, just tell what you really feel and they will appreciate that.



Sorry I hadn't read that there was a call for insight on the interview. I did mine with Dean Morton, who was very laid back while being professional. I brought my resume as requested, but it wasn't really targeted toward that too much. He asked me some general questions, none were too taxing. Don't prepare or sound fake, they are questions your neighbors from home might ask you while catching up with you, about what you are doing, interests, goals, etc. Then there was a helpful part that I asked him questions about Vanderbilt, Nashville, special components of Vandy Law, quality of life as a 1L in Nashville, etc. Again, I assume if you want to go to Vanderbilt, you naturally would have some questions about it, nothing necessitated a rehearsed spiel or memorization of information on the website (although, of course, we all do).

Just be articulate and represent yourself well. It will be fine.

Hope this helps!

Good luck on your interviews!

User avatar
bighead715
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:02 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby bighead715 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:20 am

submitted yesterday...waiting for alumni interview assignment...i only applied after hearing they send you a cool box!

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby ruleser » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:36 am

stephhu wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Has anyone in here done a Vanderbilt interview? I'm visiting Vanderbilt on Friday and I am curious as to what you thought. I know most people say that they are very laid back and comfortable, but I am curious as to what questions you were asked, how long it lasted, etc. Any feedback would be great.


I did an off site, phone interview with an alum, so I do not have much insight into the onsite interviews. They asked me about my interest in law and Vanderbilt, where I want to go in the future, and if I came from a legal family.

stephhu interviewed with the dean, and I think someone else one or two pages back had a onsite interview. Hopefully they will chip in their advice.

My advice. Just be yourself and be curious. Have questions for them. Don't try to rehearse answers, just tell what you really feel and they will appreciate that.

Sorry I hadn't read that there was a call for insight on the interview. I did mine with Dean Morton, who was very laid back while being professional. I brought my resume as requested, but it wasn't really targeted toward that too much. He asked me some general questions, none were too taxing. Don't prepare or sound fake, they are questions your neighbors from home might ask you while catching up with you, about what you are doing, interests, goals, etc. Then there was a helpful part that I asked him questions about Vanderbilt, Nashville, special components of Vandy Law, quality of life as a 1L in Nashville, etc. Again, I assume if you want to go to Vanderbilt, you naturally would have some questions about it, nothing necessitated a rehearsed spiel or memorization of information on the website (although, of course, we all do).

Just be articulate and represent yourself well. It will be fine.

Hope this helps!

Good luck on your interviews!

Wrote then cut this so will repost:
Did offsite but was with person from admin office. I'd done the NU alum interview, liked this much better because the person had both much more insight into how things will work from admin POV, and also it really became a useful discussion about things that needed explaining in my ap (discontinuous school periods, etc.) I felt it really helped give me a chance to explain my story, and also, from the questions asked, help me see what questions adcoms have when they see my file (ie - why that degree, because it is fun?) Made me realize someimportant things I didn't put in my addenda. Also, such a nice person AND with the best career input I've heard, as well as a great perspective on why you should or shouldn't make this choice, how much aps are up. Juiciest tidbit I think is that they really are apparently looking down on people who seem to be applying just because they are laid off/can't find a job. Also was genuinely interested to know what sort of community work I've done and how seriously I took that.

All in all, Vandy jumped right up along with the top of my list of schools I'd really want to do. Hearing about the sense of college community, football, low COL, and clerkship placement, really added a lot of plusses. A key point as well, Vandy's central location ITE gives decent access to the West/NE, but also solid placement for Chi/midwest, and of course the south - so a lot of routes. And it seems you'd have a real leg up on clerkships because he said you may have to go places like rural Indiana - saying it as in, 'you might not think it's the best location' but what I heard was how many schools of similar caliber compete for those clerkships? Seems like they can really get you in.

So in short, think about career track questions you might have, any questions about how they may view/consider certain parts of your ap, and extra curric/career stuff you want to share - he really did note for the review process points that came up.

Relax and enjoy.

User avatar
AceintheWhole
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:59 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby AceintheWhole » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:48 pm

Quick question for those who have interviewed: How long did it take for you to be assigned an interviewer if you applied for an off-campus alumni interview?

Much Thanks.

User avatar
hhg
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby hhg » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:10 pm

it was three days for me from requesting an interview & receiving an email from the alumni interviewer. i think i remember reading a while back about somebody that had requested an interview and then never heard back from the interviewer. they contacted vandy and vandy said that he had been assigned an interviewer and the interviewer must not have contacted him, so they reassigned him. (please correct me if i'm wrong, i don't feel like looking it up...)

User avatar
Miltiades
Posts: 2190
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby Miltiades » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:18 pm

I requested a phone interview and I haven't heard anything back in a long while. I just emailed them to see if it is up to me to contact them for a specific time. But so far I've heard nothing.

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby TruckerD » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:21 pm

hhg wrote:it was three days for me from requesting an interview & receiving an email from the alumni interviewer. i think i remember reading a while back about somebody that had requested an interview and then never heard back from the interviewer. they contacted vandy and vandy said that he had been assigned an interviewer and the interviewer must not have contacted him, so they reassigned him. (please correct me if i'm wrong, i don't feel like looking it up...)


Yeah, that was me. Still haven't heard anything :(

User avatar
Miltiades
Posts: 2190
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby Miltiades » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:43 pm

Well I emailed them about my interview delay today (I emailed the link at the bottom of Virtual VULS page on requesting an interview) and got a quick courteous response from them apologizing for the delay and saying that I definitely should have already been contacted. Less than an hour later I got a nice email from my interviewer apologizing and asking for my resume and times when I would be available next week.

So if you still haven't heard anything you might want to send a friendly email again. They are definitely nice and quick to help. In my case, they were emailing my interviewer rather than calling and it got lost in the maze of emails for the alumni interviewer. It is understandable when these people work all day and likely receive a million emails.

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby TruckerD » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:52 pm

Miltiades wrote:Well I emailed them about my interview delay today (I emailed the link at the bottom of Virtual VULS page on requesting an interview) and got a quick courteous response from them apologizing for the delay and saying that I definitely should have already been contacted. Less than an hour later I got a nice email from my interviewer apologizing and asking for my resume and times when I would be available next week.

So if you still haven't heard anything you might want to send a friendly email again. They are definitely nice and quick to help. In my case, they were emailing my interviewer rather than calling and it got lost in the maze of emails for the alumni interviewer. It is understandable when these people work all day and likely receive a million emails.


Yeah, I emailed Christina today, and she said my interviewer was supposed to have contacted me. Hasn't. She said she will contact them again, and if they don't by Monday afternoon, to contact her again, and they will get a different interviewer.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby ruleser » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:14 pm

I had set up my interview right on the site early Sept when dates were still avail, so I had my time instantly. (There was a scheduling section right on the site.)

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby CyLaw » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:19 pm

For the others that have been accepted, is it me or does the Obiter Dictum make you really want to go to Vanderbilt. My wife and I were reading over it again last night, and it just seems like a good place to go and study law, not to mention that it is a very good school.

Maybe it is just because I have not been accepted to any other schools yet (Santa Clara does not count till I get the letter in the mail), but I am finding it very easy to picture myself spending 3 years in Nashville studying law.

User avatar
hhg
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby hhg » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:55 pm

i just did my interview today and believe it went well, whew! the alumnus i met with was really interesting to chat with and our 30 minute interview lasted an hour. hopefully i'll hear good news soon since everything is now complete!!

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby JOThompson » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:14 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
stephhu wrote:Just almost had a stroke when I saw my decision was mailed yesterday.

I interviewed on 10/15, Dean Morton came to my undergrad to interview prospectives.....

Application Received Date: 10/11/2009
LSDAS Request Date: 10/11/2009
Completed Date: 10/16/2009
Decision Mailed Date: 11/10/2009


I can't wait for it to get here.....I'm in Philly so I assume it will take a few days...


I'm so nervous. Good luck everyone!


GRR..

Received: 9/10/09
LSDAS: 9/10/09
Completed: 9/17/09

Interviewed 11/2, and still no decision mailed date; I think I will be expecting a ding from Vandy. Good luck to everyone!

I interviewed with a gentleman from the admissions office and he told me not to expect a decision until 8-10 weeks after the interview.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby ruleser » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:38 pm

JOThompson wrote:
JordynAsh wrote:
stephhu wrote:Just almost had a stroke when I saw my decision was mailed yesterday.

I interviewed on 10/15, Dean Morton came to my undergrad to interview prospectives.....

Application Received Date: 10/11/2009
LSDAS Request Date: 10/11/2009
Completed Date: 10/16/2009
Decision Mailed Date: 11/10/2009


I can't wait for it to get here.....I'm in Philly so I assume it will take a few days...


I'm so nervous. Good luck everyone!


GRR..

Received: 9/10/09
LSDAS: 9/10/09
Completed: 9/17/09

Interviewed 11/2, and still no decision mailed date; I think I will be expecting a ding from Vandy. Good luck to everyone!

I interviewed with a gentleman from the admissions office and he told me not to expect a decision until 8-10 weeks after the interview.

Well, we've already seen people get decisions much quicker than that after interviews - so maybe either that was just the generic answer or your numbers put you in the wait-and-see pile (much like mine may).

stephhu
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:35 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby stephhu » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:54 pm

CyLaw wrote:For the others that have been accepted, is it me or does the Obiter Dictum make you really want to go to Vanderbilt. My wife and I were reading over it again last night, and it just seems like a good place to go and study law, not to mention that it is a very good school.

Maybe it is just because I have not been accepted to any other schools yet (Santa Clara does not count till I get the letter in the mail), but I am finding it very easy to picture myself spending 3 years in Nashville studying law.



It definitely does. The low rent is just sucks me in! My fiancee (applying to medical school same cycle as me) has an interview at Vandy Med next month so we are seriously considering it. However we have to look at Penn and Duke and dream about Harvard as well. We graduated from a T5 ranked Ivy undergrad so we don't want to feel like having wasted that. (Not that going to Vandy Law and Med would, but we must consider other options as well) Even if they are more expensive cost of living wise...sigh.

Seriously, less than 900/mo for a 1 bedroom apt that is 800 square feet that is a 5-10 minute drive from campus?! Coming a city living, that is such a bargain.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby ruleser » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:02 pm

stephhu wrote:
CyLaw wrote:For the others that have been accepted, is it me or does the Obiter Dictum make you really want to go to Vanderbilt. My wife and I were reading over it again last night, and it just seems like a good place to go and study law, not to mention that it is a very good school.

Maybe it is just because I have not been accepted to any other schools yet (Santa Clara does not count till I get the letter in the mail), but I am finding it very easy to picture myself spending 3 years in Nashville studying law.



It definitely does. The low rent is just sucks me in! My fiancee (applying to medical school same cycle as me) has an interview at Vandy Med next month so we are seriously considering it. However we have to look at Penn and Duke and dream about Harvard as well. We graduated from a T5 ranked Ivy undergrad so we don't want to feel like having wasted that. (Not that going to Vandy Law and Med would, but we must consider other options as well) Even if they are more expensive cost of living wise...sigh.

Seriously, less than 900/mo for a 1 bedroom apt that is 800 square feet that is a 5-10 minute drive from campus?! Coming a city living, that is such a bargain.

I would imagine you can do even better - I know someone bought a 3 bedroom house in TN for $55,000. And last year just outside Cincy I lined up a great, fully modern 1 bed in a great complex with pool, etc. for about $550. Different price realm in other parts...

User avatar
Miltiades
Posts: 2190
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby Miltiades » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:02 am

I have a phone interview scheduled for Friday. Thanks to this thread I'm not as nervous as I would have been otherwise.

User avatar
gossipgirl
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:25 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby gossipgirl » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:52 pm

I interviewed about 2 weeks ago with the Dean of the Vanderbilt LS at my UG school.

I received my acceptance yesterday in a BIG box! I'm very excited, especially since it's my first acceptance and Vanderbilt sounds amazing to me.

Good luck to everyone!

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Postby CyLaw » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:53 pm

gossipgirl wrote:I interviewed about 2 weeks ago with the Dean of the Vanderbilt LS at my UG school.

I received my acceptance yesterday in a BIG box! I'm very excited, especially since it's my first acceptance and Vanderbilt sounds amazing to me.

Good luck to everyone!


Congrats.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anon.y.mousse., fattsdomino, Google Adsense [Bot], Keilz, lawcapture and 15 guests