Vanderbilt 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Rawlsian

Bronze

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Post by Rawlsian » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:56 pm

So, I've been looking at LSN. What do you guys think the chances are that Vandy's LSAT median increases to 169 this year?

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:07 pm

Rawlsian wrote:So, I've been looking at LSN. What do you guys think the chances are that Vandy's LSAT median increases to 169 this year?
Pretty good considering the increase in apps. I think a lot of schools might be able to bump it up a number. I think the big question, particularly considering the state of the economy - whether schools will be willing to take a smaller class (read: less tuition). For instance, if Vandy is close to the 169 median, will they accept a smaller class? Otherwise, they could maybe admit another 20 full tuition paying students without their professor/student ratio suffering and significantly increase incoming capital. I'd imagine more than a couple schools are contemplating this.

anniesaysrelax

New

Post by anniesaysrelax » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:39 pm

Four months later and I'm finally DM as of 03/05. Fingers crossed for good news but certain it'll be a ding or WL. Are most people's letters post marked on the DM date or is it more like the date that it shows up on the status check?

Xizenta

Bronze

Post by Xizenta » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:40 pm

I apped to vandy on 3/01 and still haven't gotten a confirmation e-mail or status check... normal?

beardown_tho

New

Post by beardown_tho » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:09 pm

Xizenta wrote:I apped to vandy on 3/01 and still haven't gotten a confirmation e-mail or status check... normal?
unsurprising. I know they request physical copies from the LSAC so it takes a little bit longer. I had the same issue: I applied 2/24, went complete 3/5. You'll be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

urban

New

Post by urban » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:24 am

Anyone have a DM for 3/8? Are they sending out decisions in batches?

initech

Bronze

Post by initech » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:02 am

I will be withdrawing my application from the waitlist today. I'm lucky to be participating in Teach For America for the next two years, after which I plan on re-applying to law schools. I hope my spot opens up someone's chances.

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:08 pm

Did it take anyone else a long time to go complete? Been almost 2 weeks since I applied and I'm still just at received.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:15 pm

initech wrote:I will be withdrawing my application from the waitlist today. I'm lucky to be participating in Teach For America for the next two years, after which I plan on re-applying to law schools. I hope my spot opens up someone's chances.
Damn it feels good to be a teacha.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:29 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
initech wrote:I will be withdrawing my application from the waitlist today. I'm lucky to be participating in Teach For America for the next two years, after which I plan on re-applying to law schools. I hope my spot opens up someone's chances.
Damn it feels good to be a teacha.
lulz

anniesaysrelax

New

Post by anniesaysrelax » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:38 pm

Got my waitlist letter today. Not sure yet whether I'll stay on, but glad it wasn't a straight ding.

TWoodWil

Bronze

Post by TWoodWil » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:39 pm

urban wrote:Anyone have a DM for 3/8? Are they sending out decisions in batches?
I'm a DM 3/8 (complete 12/3; interview a few weeks later).

Best case scenario for me is a WL.

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:45 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
Rawlsian wrote:So, I've been looking at LSN. What do you guys think the chances are that Vandy's LSAT median increases to 169 this year?
Pretty good considering the increase in apps. I think a lot of schools might be able to bump it up a number. I think the big question, particularly considering the state of the economy - whether schools will be willing to take a smaller class (read: less tuition). For instance, if Vandy is close to the 169 median, will they accept a smaller class? Otherwise, they could maybe admit another 20 full tuition paying students without their professor/student ratio suffering and significantly increase incoming capital. I'd imagine more than a couple schools are contemplating this.
Also, class reductions is one of the very few stats where the interests of both the administration and the students are perfectly aligned. The administration wants the smallest class it can afford to bring in to ensure higher academic quality and better job placement. Students want there to be fewer in the class to ensure less competition for jobs (and therefore better job placement). Small class size is one of the reasons why I've loved being there for the last few years. That, and the fact that you can run into Kenny Chesney, Steve Miller and Elvis Costello rocking out at the same hole-in-the-wall bar on a weeknight, or that Taylor Swift might ask you to help her park her car in the garage, or that the drummer from Collective Soul will do shots with you at Paradise Park and ask for advice on whether or not his date for the night was attractive (she was, and coincidentally he is cool).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:50 pm

observationalist wrote: or that Taylor Swift might ask you to help her park her car in the garage
Signing my deposit check...

zanyventer

New

Post by zanyventer » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:56 pm

observationalist wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:
Also, class reductions is one of the very few stats where the interests of both the administration and the students are perfectly aligned. The administration wants the smallest class it can afford to bring in to ensure higher academic quality and better job placement. Students want there to be fewer in the class to ensure less competition for jobs (and therefore better job placement). Small class size is one of the reasons why I've loved being there for the last few years. That, and the fact that you can run into Kenny Chesney, Steve Miller and Elvis Costello rocking out at the same hole-in-the-wall bar on a weeknight, or that Taylor Swift might ask you to help her park her car in the garage, or that the drummer from Collective Soul will do shots with you at Paradise Park and ask for advice on whether or not his date for the night was attractive (she was, and coincidentally he is cool).
if you don't mind me asking, and if you haven't already answered questions about it... how was the job search out of vandy?

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:15 pm

zanyventer wrote:
observationalist wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:
if you don't mind me asking, and if you haven't already answered questions about it... how was the job search out of vandy?
I've answered questions before and at this point I'm hardly anonymous, but in the interests of avoiding anecdotal evidence I usually point people to the employment lists published by Career Services. Only two law schools release full lists showing where every graduate goes (employer name and city)... us and Duke. In addition, both schools release full lists on 2L summer employment. Vandy's gets released once the recruitment handbook comes out in early summer.

As far as where we currently stand (information that is not available yet), I think my Class of 2010 is looking at maybe 2/3s employed right now, and that's generous and based on reports from Career Services that we were 50% employed as of November and that one or two students are usually coming through with something each week (which means somewhere between 14 and 28 people have found something since the fall... and if that's actually the case then we are about 58-65% employed). If we can get up to 75% at graduation that would be pretty solid given the state of things.

For my own career path, my grades after 1L year put me right around the fabled median and it got me a V50 firm job in Houston (with no ties to the area), but then that translated into a no-offer for a variety of reasons and a drastic shift in career plans. I am now planning on moving to Chile with my SO and pursuing environmental nonprofit work down there for a few years, with my former firm and my 1L employer both assisting in getting me through to various contacts down there. Once my plans are more settled school will be updating my profile on the website, since I happen to be one of their official anecdotes. That said, I am a big fan in schools releasing comprehensive employment lists in addition to highlighting certain students to show diversity in terms of origin/career path/race/gender/etc.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:21 pm

observationalist wrote: I've answered questions before and at this point I'm hardly anonymous, but in the interests of avoiding anecdotal evidence I usually point people to the employment lists published by Career Services. Only two law schools release full lists showing where every graduate goes (employer name and city)... us and Duke. In addition, both schools release full lists on 2L summer employment. Vandy's gets released once the recruitment handbook comes out in early summer.

As far as where we currently stand (information that is not available yet), I think my Class of 2010 is looking at maybe 2/3s employed right now, and that's generous and based on reports from Career Services that we were 50% employed as of November and that one or two students are usually coming through with something each week (which means somewhere between 14 and 28 people have found something since the fall... and if that's actually the case then we are about 58-65% employed). If we can get up to 75% at graduation that would be pretty solid given the state of things.
One of the things that impressed me most about Vanderbilt was the nice brochure that showed where everyone went. Thanks for your post; I feel really good about the school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:27 pm

And I realize I didn't actually answer your question... the job search for me has been fairly unique. My 1L job came about through a contact of one of our professors, which turned into a bunch of contacts in my field of interest, and was largely detached from my grades. My 2L job came about through a strong connection with the interviewer who happened to be a partner in the firm's practice group, and was somewhat detached from my grades. My other options that summer would have been continuing to work with nonprofits but I went for the firm route at the suggestion of Career Services (who are great to work with). Now that I've switched gears to the international realm I'm basically going to continue being an anomaly as far as jobsearching goes. Per usual I'll probably report back when I find out what exactly I'll be doing.

For anyone with acceptances in hand I really encourage you to ask the school for more comprehensive info on Class of 2010 and 2011 employment stats. Do the same with the other schools you're deciding between and see who gives you what. Publicize any information you're willing to share on TLS to help others make up their minds. And for all the schools at the top of your list, visit to see what the culture is like and whether you want to live there for the next couple of years. Nashville's awesome but certainly not for everyone.

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:32 pm

rad law wrote:
observationalist wrote: I've answered questions before and at this point I'm hardly anonymous, but in the interests of avoiding anecdotal evidence I usually point people to the employment lists published by Career Services. Only two law schools release full lists showing where every graduate goes (employer name and city)... us and Duke. In addition, both schools release full lists on 2L summer employment. Vandy's gets released once the recruitment handbook comes out in early summer.

One of the things that impressed me most about Vanderbilt was the nice brochure that showed where everyone went. Thanks for your post; I feel really good about the school.
And you're welcome. And yeah, that has been a deciding factor for many students in the last couple of years. Our hopes is that people will keep putting enough pressure on them to continue being transparent, even when the job prospects don't look so hot. If you accept that all schools are worse off now compared to a few years ago, then it's just a matter of which schools weathered the storm the best. Without getting the schools to report how the damage is looking it's impossible to make comparisons between programs. Now is the best time for y'all to be leveraging acceptances for scholarships and information... once 1L year hits you will be far too busy studying and enjoying Nashville to worry about silly things like the job market. G'luck.

prelaw10

New

Post by prelaw10 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:42 pm

How long does it take for Vanderbilt to acknowledge that they've received your application? Does it have a status checker?

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:25 pm

prelaw10 wrote:How long does it take for Vanderbilt to acknowledge that they've received your application? Does it have a status checker?
Mine took approx. 2 weeks and they do have a status checker.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:38 pm

Complete since 1/21

any thoughts on whether this is a good or bad thing? have decisions even rolled out for people who went complete later?

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:32 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:Complete since 1/21

any thoughts on whether this is a good or bad thing? have decisions even rolled out for people who went complete later?
I think with non-auto-accept numbers they are going in chronological order, the early December complete dates decisions started going out at the end of February. For me complete 12/7, decision mailed 2/26. I would say you still have a bit before your decision is mailed.

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:36 pm

TWoodWil wrote:
urban wrote:Anyone have a DM for 3/8? Are they sending out decisions in batches?
I'm a DM 3/8 (complete 12/3; interview a few weeks later).

Best case scenario for me is a WL.
Another DM 3/8 here, went complete sometime at the end of January. WL if i'm lucky.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:43 pm

DM 3/10. It's spring break at Vandy, thus I will not be getting my decision till I get back to school. Couldn't have waited till Monday to send it through campus mail, huh? Hey, this is for you: Image

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”