Vanderbilt 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CyLaw

Gold

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Post by CyLaw » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:41 pm

akowis wrote:We can submit before we write the merit award essays?
Yes. The admitted student information reminds us that we can download the forms and apply before Jan 10th. So you can do the essays either before or after. I will be confirming this this week as I have another question on the scholarship form anyways, (Namely if they want LSAC GPA or Degree Granting GPA) on the scholarship form.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:43 pm

TruckerD wrote:
CyLaw wrote:Thanks all. Sure I can put in a kind word for you. First I just need you to donate a sizable sum to your nearest Public Interest Law Fund, then we will talk.
Shouldn't those checks instead be made to you? ;) And sorry to say dude, I already submitted my scholarship essays. They just can't seem to figure out how to schedule my interview. :(
I want to do PI, so in a round about way, they are.

How long ago did you ask for the interview? Have you tried contacting them if it has been a while?

TruckerD

Bronze

Post by TruckerD » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:46 pm

CyLaw wrote:
TruckerD wrote:
CyLaw wrote:Thanks all. Sure I can put in a kind word for you. First I just need you to donate a sizable sum to your nearest Public Interest Law Fund, then we will talk.
Shouldn't those checks instead be made to you? ;) And sorry to say dude, I already submitted my scholarship essays. They just can't seem to figure out how to schedule my interview. :(

How long ago did you ask for the interview? Have you tried contacting them if it has been a while?
I contacted them again today, and they said it's been assigned, and asked if the person has contacted me. I told them I haven't heard anything from that person. So, I guess they will contact the alumni and see what's up. Just waiting to see... I requested the interview Oct 15th. :(

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:12 am

CyLaw wrote:
TruckerD wrote:

CyLaw I like your style... I'm actually running a mini-campaign among friends at the law school to have people 'vote me into a job.' The reasoning is a little flawed but goes as follows: I work with an ngo that is entered into a competition to receive a $100K prize. The way they win is by getting members of the public to vote for them. It takes a surprisingly few number of votes... the winner right now has just over a thousand votes and my group (Riverkeeper) is in second with about half that. If they get the prize, they'll be able to hire another staff attorney. And if they do that, I stand a shot of becoming that staff attorney... will hopefully be meeting with a few former colleagues there over the holidays to make my intentions about seeking a job clear. And so I am asking for your vote as well. I can't promise people acceptances, but if nothing else voting could get me a job, which would boost Vanderbilt's employed at grad stat by a little over 0.5% and get one more alumnus into a PI job who can help you out down the road if you come here. Here's the link: --LinkRemoved-- You can go to 'select a charity' and then login and vote for whichever group you like the most. (I realize some people are going to vote against Riverkeeper if I post this because of prior allegiances, but hopefully nobody that knows what's good for them :wink: ).

Hope you get accepted if you haven't already and end up checking out the LSSJ group. We started it last fall within the school's Social Justice Program and have seen membership and funding increase substantially in our second year. One of the 1Ls has been especially active this year in setting up events and he's been a huge help to the 2Ls involved in growing the organization. They do a lot of work with the Legal Aid Society but their focus is more on career development and less on raising money, so IMO the work LSSJ does gives additional value above and beyond simply funding summer internships.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:26 am

I just read up a little on Riverkeeper and liked what I saw on their site. So, you will notice that the vote count just went up by one.

Plus I already got a lot of people this past christmas to donate to charity: water in my name in lieu of gifts, so I don't feel that bad voting against them.

I am accepted for class of 2013, and was trying to find more information on PI organizations there. Is there a page for LSSJ that talks about the activities or various actions the membership is involved in. The student organization page under student resources seemed to be lacking in current information.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:36 am

CyLaw wrote:I just read up a little on Riverkeeper and liked what I saw on their site. So, you will notice that the vote count just went up by one.

Plus I already got a lot of people this past christmas to donate to charity: water in my name in lieu of gifts, so I don't feel that bad voting against them.

I am accepted for class of 2013, and was trying to find more information on PI organizations there. Is there a page for LSSJ that talks about the activities or various actions the membership is involved in. The student organization page under student resources seemed to be lacking in current information.
Yeah my bad... promoting ourselves hasn't caught up to the new developments. My best advice is to email the student who has the pulse on what's going on. Let him know you're a prospective and ask him the same stuff and I bet you'll get a response. I'll PM you his email. Congrats, hope you like what you see.

And thanks for the vote. It looks like charity: water is going to keep their lead but it's still worth trying.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:00 pm

CyLaw wrote:
akowis wrote:We can submit before we write the merit award essays?
Yes. The admitted student information reminds us that we can download the forms and apply before Jan 10th. So you can do the essays either before or after. I will be confirming this this week as I have another question on the scholarship form anyways, (Namely if they want LSAC GPA or Degree Granting GPA) on the scholarship form.
Alright, just confirmed with the admission office (Who is super nice btw), that you can submit the forms after being accepted as long as it is before the deadline.

Also, in case anyone else is in the same boat, they were not sure which GPA I should use on the form so they said it is fine to list both which is what I am going to do.

akowis

New

Post by akowis » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:07 pm

Last edited by akowis on Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

wired

Bronze

Post by wired » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:02 pm

CyLaw wrote:
Alright, just confirmed with the admission office (Who is super nice btw), that you can submit the forms after being accepted as long as it is before the deadline.
Aren't they though? They have been incredible every time I have called (admittedly not that many times, but enough to get a feel.) Dealing with their adoffice, the alumni for the interview, reps at a law fair, etc. has all made me much more excited about Vanderbilt... originally I thought I would not mind a rejection, but now that they've lead me on... it will hurt if I don't get in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:52 pm

Anyone else having trouble logging into Virtual VULS? I even requested a new password, but that doesn't work either.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:54 pm

UFMatt wrote:Anyone else having trouble logging into Virtual VULS? I even requested a new password, but that doesn't work either.
No problem for me.

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:08 pm

UFMatt wrote:Anyone else having trouble logging into Virtual VULS? I even requested a new password, but that doesn't work either.
I had the same problem. For me it stemmed from copying and pasting the password. I noticed you went to UF, I did too. If you're using gatormail webmail, for some reason the password copy pasted from the vandy email doesn't work. You have to type it in manually.

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:31 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
I had the same problem. For me it stemmed from copying and pasting the password. I noticed you went to UF, I did too. If you're using gatormail webmail, for some reason the password copy pasted from the vandy email doesn't work. You have to type it in manually.
That did the trick. Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stephhu

New

Post by stephhu » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:41 pm

Just almost had a stroke when I saw my decision was mailed yesterday.

I interviewed on 10/15, Dean Morton came to my undergrad to interview prospectives.....

Application Received Date: 10/11/2009
LSDAS Request Date: 10/11/2009
Completed Date: 10/16/2009
Decision Mailed Date: 11/10/2009

I can't wait for it to get here.....I'm in Philly so I assume it will take a few days...

I'm so nervous. Good luck everyone!

Miltiades

Gold

Post by Miltiades » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:47 pm

stephhu wrote:Just almost had a stroke when I saw my decision was mailed yesterday.

I interviewed on 10/15, Dean Morton came to my undergrad to interview prospectives.....

Application Received Date: 10/11/2009
LSDAS Request Date: 10/11/2009
Completed Date: 10/16/2009
Decision Mailed Date: 11/10/2009

I can't wait for it to get here.....I'm in Philly so I assume it will take a few days...

I'm so nervous. Good luck everyone!
Oh that is very exciting! I'm sure it has to be good news this early.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:55 pm

Has anyone in here done a Vanderbilt interview? I'm visiting Vanderbilt on Friday and I am curious as to what you thought. I know most people say that they are very laid back and comfortable, but I am curious as to what questions you were asked, how long it lasted, etc. Any feedback would be great.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:26 am

romothesavior wrote:Has anyone in here done a Vanderbilt interview? I'm visiting Vanderbilt on Friday and I am curious as to what you thought. I know most people say that they are very laid back and comfortable, but I am curious as to what questions you were asked, how long it lasted, etc. Any feedback would be great.
I did an off site, phone interview with an alum, so I do not have much insight into the onsite interviews. They asked me about my interest in law and Vanderbilt, where I want to go in the future, and if I came from a legal family.

stephhu interviewed with the dean, and I think someone else one or two pages back had a onsite interview. Hopefully they will chip in their advice.

My advice. Just be yourself and be curious. Have questions for them. Don't try to rehearse answers, just tell what you really feel and they will appreciate that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

moonshine

New

Post by moonshine » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:02 am

i interviewed with one of the associate directors of admissions when vanderbilt came to my UG. mostly, we talked about things on my resume (internships & activities), what i liked best about my college experience, and why i wanted to go to law school/vanderbilt. the interview lasted about twenty minutes, but i asked a lot of questions at the end so probably 30 minutes all together. overall, it was enjoyable - i found my interviewer to be very friendly and easy to talk to.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:41 am

Quick question - On your applications, did you guys copy and paste your PS onto the application or just note that it was attached?

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:51 am

missvik218 wrote:Quick question - On your applications, did you guys copy and paste your PS onto the application or just note that it was attached?
I noted that it was attached.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:54 pm

I don't think I even marked that it was attached. I just left it blank and assumed they would figure out the essay attached was my PS.

It seems to have worked. :)

Edit: Also it says in the paragraph before that space that if you are submitting electronically to attach the PS as a separate document.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:06 pm

Had my interview yesterday, hopefully this will speed up my decision process. Think it went well enough, certainly not bad enough to be the reason I get denied at least.

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:08 pm

oneforship wrote:Had my interview yesterday, hopefully this will speed up my decision process. Think it went well enough, certainly not bad enough to be the reason I get denied at least.
Anyone that loves Calvin and Hobbes is alright in my book.

panadera

Bronze

Post by panadera » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:10 pm

CyLaw wrote:I don't think I even marked that it was attached. I just left it blank and assumed they would figure out the essay attached was my PS.

Edit: Also it says in the paragraph before that space that if you are submitting electronically to attach the PS as a separate document.
Oh dear. I definitely copy-pasted it in. I had so many attachments I thought one less would be good! Ugh.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:14 pm

kpd-m wrote:
CyLaw wrote:I don't think I even marked that it was attached. I just left it blank and assumed they would figure out the essay attached was my PS.

Oh dear. I definitely copy-pasted it in. I had so many attachments I thought one less would be good! Ugh.
I am sure you are fine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”