Vanderbilt 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
leftofthedial

New

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Post by leftofthedial » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:45 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Maryland isn't the south. Northern Virginia isn't the south.
Western Maryland is definitely the South. It's like West Virginia and the eastern part of Kentucky, mountain living and all. I think people consider it Northern because of how industrial Baltimore is/was.

general100

New

Post by general100 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:47 pm

fomenting wrote:75k at vandy or berkeley sticker?
Rawlsian wrote:Do you have a shot at need based aid? Last year Berkeley's need based grants = $70,000+. If not, where do you want to practice?
That's crazy, if true. Struggling to decide between Berkeley and Vandy (15k/year). Such radically different schools.

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:53 pm

general100 wrote:
fomenting wrote:75k at vandy or berkeley sticker?
Rawlsian wrote:Do you have a shot at need based aid? Last year Berkeley's need based grants = $70,000+. If not, where do you want to practice?
That's crazy, if true. Struggling to decide between Berkeley and Vandy (15k/year). Such radically different schools.
I'm sorry, I misspoke. The annual maximum amount at Berkeley for non-residents is 22k, 16k for residents (which you'll probably be after the first year). Also, they take into consideration your summer earnings, so if you get a SA job your second summer, you probably won't qualify your 3rd year.

edit: scroll down to the Fin Aid section http://www.law.berkeley.edu/files/VIewbook_2009.pdf.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:59 pm

does anyone have any info regarding when need-based scholarships are announced?

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:24 pm

Philo38 wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:Maryland isn't the south. [strike]Northern Virginia[/strike]isn't the south.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_of_Northern_Virginia
+1

If you live in Virginia you to get to say you live in the South. Forever. Doesn't matter where in Virginia. If any state/commonwealth can be called a southern state it's the Old Dominion.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

manwitaplan

New

Post by manwitaplan » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:24 pm

Any black people attending the admitted students weekend 4/9?

Quine

Bronze

Post by Quine » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:25 pm

$45K. I wasn't expecting anything, so it's a nice surprise. A nice surprise marred by similar numbers getting even better offers.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:44 pm

Crap Crap Crap. Add me to the folks trying to decide between Michigan and Vandy now. I was so set on Michigan and then Vandy gives $72k today. :shock:

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:48 pm

holydonkey wrote:Crap Crap Crap. Add me to the folks trying to decide between Michigan and Vandy now. I was so set on Michigan and then Vandy gives $72k today. :shock:
Congratulations! Do as the letter advises and go for a visit. Make sure you check out the areas to the west and south of the campus.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BlankC

New

Post by BlankC » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:20 pm

Philo38 wrote:1: You are going to want to get a car

and 2: Nashville is definitely not redneck. Certainly, you will meet some rednecks in your day to day if your out and about, but that is probably true of most places. In general, Nashville has been able to support a very good variety of posh/modern/trendy restaurants right along with its honky-tonks. And I assure you there are plenty of liberals in the Vandy area.

Look at it this way, recently we got an all-male strip club called "arrow". I'm just saying, a town that can sustain that can't be too conservative right?
Not gunna lie. Nashville just gained a little more of my [strike]interest[/strike]... regard. :lol:

A shame about the car thing, though. Sounds like I'll have to re-learn how to drive. Thanks for the info about the Nashville atmosphere, much appreciated.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:26 pm

BlankC wrote:

and 2: Nashville is definitely not redneck. Certainly, you will meet some rednecks in your day to day if your out and about, but that is probably true of most places. In general, Nashville has been able to support a very good variety of posh/modern/trendy restaurants right along with its honky-tonks. And I assure you there are plenty of liberals in the Vandy area.

Look at it this way, recently we got an all-male strip club called "arrow". I'm just saying, a town that can sustain that can't be too conservative right?
Not gunna lie. Nashville just gained a little more of my [strike]interest[/strike]... regard. :lol:

A shame about the car thing, though. Sounds like I'll have to re-learn how to drive. Thanks for the info about the Nashville atmosphere, much appreciated.
Honestly, one of the Vandy trolls (Observationalist) says that he's made it 3 years with no car, but you just have to live pretty close to the school. He's said that there's a couple of bus routes that are fairly standard and reliable that can get you to the main areas you'll need to be.

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:31 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:does anyone have any info regarding when need-based scholarships are announced?
I emailed them asking if they received my FAFSA and need access forms yesterday. They said that they sent schollys last week and expect their financial aid packages to go out mid-March.

BlankC

New

Post by BlankC » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:32 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
BlankC wrote:

Honestly, one of the Vandy trolls (Observationalist) says that he's made it 3 years with no car, but you just have to live pretty close to the school. He's said that there's a couple of bus routes that are fairly standard and reliable that can get you to the main areas you'll need to be.
Eh.. If someone else can do it, I'm sure I can. I've got nothing against walking a few miles for a bus as long as it's safe to do it. How's the crime in the Vandy area?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zanyventer

New

Post by zanyventer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:39 pm

holydonkey wrote:Crap Crap Crap. Add me to the folks trying to decide between Michigan and Vandy now. I was so set on Michigan and then Vandy gives $72k today. :shock:
ditto

lovethelaw88

New

Post by lovethelaw88 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:50 pm

Come on Vandy...it's MARCH. For the love of God, give me an answer!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:51 pm

my WL letter was sent 2/26 for anyone who is interested in that sort of thing

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:59 pm

IAFG wrote:my WL letter was sent 2/26 for anyone who is interested in that sort of thing
Thanks, I'm waiting on my letter, also DM 2/26, I'm expecting a WL or ding. Do mind sharing your stats/complete date? Feel free to PM if you prefer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:02 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
IAFG wrote:my WL letter was sent 2/26 for anyone who is interested in that sort of thing
Thanks, I'm waiting on my letter, also DM 2/26, I'm expecting a WL or ding. Do mind sharing your stats/complete date? Feel free to PM if you prefer.
~3.5/173 complete in December sometime idk

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:04 pm

IAFG wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
Thanks!

Sorry about the WL, I would have thought you'd be in with those numbers.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:06 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
IAFG wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
Thanks!

Sorry about the WL, I would have thought you'd be in with those numbers.
they could probably smell me using them as a safety, it's ok. i don't mind, only posting for posterity

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:16 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
BlankC wrote:

I have a few friends who don't have cars here and they get along just fine. It's really not necessary. The bus system doesn't have all too many runs, but it runs on time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jesw

New

Post by Jesw » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:13 am

I'm DM 3/3.... Too bad I leave for Spring Break for a week tomorrow and have no one to check my mail until I get back! :?

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:07 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Thanks, I'm waiting on my letter, also DM 2/26, I'm expecting a WL or ding.
Same, and sorry about the WL IAFG but it sounds like you're not too disheartened :wink:. I'm praying mine is a WL, it will make my summer nearly unbearable but I'll gladly suffer for a shot ... COME ON VANDY!!

hotwater

New

Post by hotwater » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:13 pm

60k Deans Scholarship yesterday! Going to have to choose b/w there and Gtown. Does anyone know if Vandy will give any money for a visit that isnt necessarily on an ASD? Currently live abroad and strapped for cash.

smacroon

New

Post by smacroon » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:22 pm

hotwater wrote:60k Deans Scholarship yesterday! Going to have to choose b/w there and Gtown. Does anyone know if Vandy will give any money for a visit that isnt necessarily on an ASD? Currently live abroad and strapped for cash.
Yes I am visiting on a different weekend and they are giving me $150 in travel money. Email ryan.willard@vanderbilt.edu to make the request and they will provide you with details from there.

Congrats on the schol!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”