Vanderbilt 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cardinalandgold

Silver

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Post by cardinalandgold » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:29 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:Any scholly negotiating success stories from vandy yet?
Still waiting. Anyone heard a response at all? :|
What scholly's/acceptances are you using as leverage? And who did you send your request to? You can PM me if you don't want to post.

semigoodnes

New

Post by semigoodnes » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:42 pm

still dont have a "decision made" on the status check, does this mean its a rejection?

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:27 pm

Just sent my scholarship negotiation request in to Vandy. We'll see what happens 8)

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:20 pm

MF248 wrote:
observationalist wrote:
Rawlsian wrote:Just got back from ASW. The campus is absolutely beautiful--magnolia and dogwood trees everywhere. The students and faculty really impressed me. The school's culture is difficult to articulate, but for lack of better words, it is absolutely a collegial community. There's a great chance I'll be there in the fall.
Don't forget to mention you got served beer by the president of the Vanderbilt Law Brewing Guild. (This assumes I heard you correctly when you said you went by rawlsian on TLS.)

Glad you had a fun time. This coming Friday is the pancake-eating contest, which makes it the third week in a row that we'll be starting off the weekend in Flynn. And this week we won't have a bunch of prospectives drinking all the beer. Not that we don't enjoy your presence or anything.

....you guys even have a law brewing guild????
Yep. Though we unfortunately didn't throw together our materials in time to table at last week's ASW. We will be sampling our first batch (American Pale Ale) at Blackacre this week. The primary goal of the organization is to educate students on a proper understanding of the growing microbrew movement so they can speak eloquently about such matters at networking events, with clients, etc. The same way that winetastings inform your language skills in talking about wine, we help people transition away from a typical college-level understanding of PBR/Bud Light to learn about high-end, environmentally responsible brews. We also have a recent alumnus who decided to forego a career in environmental law to open up a sustainable brewery here in town, so we are also doing some networking with attorneys and investors in the Nashville area.

Regardless of where ya'all end up, though, we're looking in starting up Guilds at other law schools. As a cost-cutting measure it's cheaper than having all the other clubs buy their own beer for social events, at least once you put in the necessary overhead. Our equipment is a basic brewers kit and a force carbonator. Bottles are recycled from the law school to further cut down on cost/waste.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:09 pm

observationalist wrote: Yep. Though we unfortunately didn't throw together our materials in time to table at last week's ASW. We will be sampling our first batch (American Pale Ale) at Blackacre this week. The primary goal of the organization is to educate students on a proper understanding of the growing microbrew movement so they can speak eloquently about such matters at networking events, with clients, etc. The same way that winetastings inform your language skills in talking about wine, we help people transition away from a typical college-level understanding of PBR/Bud Light to learn about high-end, environmentally responsible brews. We also have a recent alumnus who decided to forego a career in environmental law to open up a sustainable brewery here in town, so we are also doing some networking with attorneys and investors in the Nashville area.

Regardless of where ya'all end up, though, we're looking in starting up Guilds at other law schools. As a cost-cutting measure it's cheaper than having all the other clubs buy their own beer for social events, at least once you put in the necessary overhead. Our equipment is a basic brewers kit and a force carbonator. Bottles are recycled from the law school to further cut down on cost/waste.
ummmm.... awesome?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:20 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
observationalist wrote: Yep. Though we unfortunately didn't throw together our materials in time to table at last week's ASW. We will be sampling our first batch (American Pale Ale) at Blackacre this week. The primary goal of the organization is to educate students on a proper understanding of the growing microbrew movement so they can speak eloquently about such matters at networking events, with clients, etc. The same way that winetastings inform your language skills in talking about wine, we help people transition away from a typical college-level understanding of PBR/Bud Light to learn about high-end, environmentally responsible brews. We also have a recent alumnus who decided to forego a career in environmental law to open up a sustainable brewery here in town, so we are also doing some networking with attorneys and investors in the Nashville area.

ummmm.... awesome?
The answer is yes.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:20 pm

Did anyone else go to the reception at Alston & Bird today?

jonnodotsg

New

Post by jonnodotsg » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:37 pm

Last edited by jonnodotsg on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:18 pm

Sounds like a great idea!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

prelaw10

New

Post by prelaw10 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:55 pm

semigoodnes wrote:still dont have a "decision made" on the status check, does this mean its a rejection?
I'm stuck at complete as well. Why won't they send the rejection to make it official? arg

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:17 pm

Negotiation attempt: denied. Take heart, WLers. There'll be at least one spot opening up in the very near future.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:21 pm

stratocophic wrote:Negotiation attempt: denied. Take heart, WLers. There'll be at least one spot opening up in the very near future.
I'm so sorry strato. WUSTL is great though, and with the money, you can live like a king!

Center2450

New

Post by Center2450 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:35 pm

waitlisted 3/24DM

anyone know anything about Vandy's waitlist? past/present

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:43 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:Just sent my scholarship negotiation request in to Vandy. We'll see what happens 8)
No go for me. Good luck!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:43 pm

rad law wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Negotiation attempt: denied. Take heart, WLers. There'll be at least one spot opening up in the very near future.
I'm so sorry strato. WUSTL is great though, and with the money, you can live like a king!
I appreciate the condolences, rad. :lol: This is certainly true. I'm sad that it worked out this way, but that's what I get for being an engineering major. SO will be in St. Louis next year anyway, so it's probably for the best. I'll miss you Nashville :cry:

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:45 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:Just sent my scholarship negotiation request in to Vandy. We'll see what happens 8)
No go for me. Good luck!
Looks like they can be added to the "will not negotiate" list. I didn't like the form letter much, TBH.

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:49 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
No go for me. Good luck!
Looks like they can be added to the "will not negotiate" list. I didn't like the form letter much, TBH.
When did you guys submit your requests? I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before mine gets shot down too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:50 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
No go for me. Good luck!
I think they can be added to the list for sure.

I didn't mind the form letter so much. There are only so many ways they can say no, and I'm sure they get a decent amount of these requests on top of their already busy work this time of year.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:53 pm

rad law wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:

ummmm.... awesome?
The answer is yes.
Have I mentioned HOW MUCH I LOOOOOVE Vanderbilt?!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:56 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
No go for me. Good luck!
When did you guys submit your requests? I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before mine gets shot down too.
Friday before last, IIRC. Hope yours bucks the trend and ends up making turning down Michigan easy! Really is a great school and a great place to be.
Sauer Grapes wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
No go for me. Good luck!
I think they can be added to the list for sure.

I didn't mind the form letter so much. There are only so many ways they can say no, and I'm sure they get a decent amount of these requests on top of their already busy work this time of year.
Meh, I understand the rush. Just made it seem like they didn't even read my email.

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:15 pm

Glad people are excited about the Brew Guild, and I hope some folks will consider joining. It's a great way to meet 2Ls and 3Ls in a relaxed setting.

For anyone who was at the school this past week and saw the clerkship masthead up near the front entrance, I broke down the numbers and posted this in a separate thread.

For the 2009-2010 Clerkship season:
Total Art III district clerkships: 21
Total Art III appellate clerkships (including Roberts clerk): 9
Total Art III bankruptcy clerkships: 3
Grand total: 33

Totals for class of 2010 only (excluding recent graduates):
District: 18
Appellate: 8 (everyone except the Roberts clerk)
Bankruptcy: 3
Total: 29 (but with two students getting two clerkships each, so really just 27)
Total % of the Class of 2010 with at least one Art III clerkship: 14%

This puts us above where Penn was last year for total Art III clerkships, and they typically graduate 30 or so more than Vandy does. This was also during a more competitive year. Prof (Mike) Bressman is doing an excellent job running the clerkship program and we are very glad to see he and Prof (Lisa) Bressman are staying in Nashville for the time being.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

publiuspublicola

Bronze

Post by publiuspublicola » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 pm

Just withdrew! Hope someone here gets my $$$! Good luck!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:00 pm

observationalist wrote: This puts us above where Penn was last year for total Art III clerkships, and they typically graduate 30 or so more than Vandy does. This was also during a more competitive year. Prof (Mike) Bressman is doing an excellent job running the clerkship program and we are very glad to see he and Prof (Lisa) Bressman are staying in Nashville for the time being.
Even more than the increased NLJ250 numbers, the increased clerkship hiring impressed me the most.

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:01 pm

observationalist wrote:
MF248 wrote:
observationalist wrote:
Rawlsian wrote:Just got back from ASW. The campus is absolutely beautiful--magnolia and dogwood trees everywhere. The students and faculty really impressed me. The school's culture is difficult to articulate, but for lack of better words, it is absolutely a collegial community. There's a great chance I'll be there in the fall.
Don't forget to mention you got served beer by the president of the Vanderbilt Law Brewing Guild. (This assumes I heard you correctly when you said you went by rawlsian on TLS.)

Glad you had a fun time. This coming Friday is the pancake-eating contest, which makes it the third week in a row that we'll be starting off the weekend in Flynn. And this week we won't have a bunch of prospectives drinking all the beer. Not that we don't enjoy your presence or anything.

....you guys even have a law brewing guild????
Yep. Though we unfortunately didn't throw together our materials in time to table at last week's ASW. We will be sampling our first batch (American Pale Ale) at Blackacre this week. The primary goal of the organization is to educate students on a proper understanding of the growing microbrew movement so they can speak eloquently about such matters at networking events, with clients, etc. The same way that winetastings inform your language skills in talking about wine, we help people transition away from a typical college-level understanding of PBR/Bud Light to learn about high-end, environmentally responsible brews. We also have a recent alumnus who decided to forego a career in environmental law to open up a sustainable brewery here in town, so we are also doing some networking with attorneys and investors in the Nashville area.

My wife will love this. We try to get out to a couple brew fests a year, and she'll take copious notes for each beer, often creating profiles for 30+ beers over the week.

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:01 pm

uhh the deposit deadline is 4/15, right? just trying to make sure... i can't seem to find the date anywhere.

edit: nevermind, found the form they sent. it is 4/15 in case anyone else has forgotten...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”