Vanderbilt 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
brandontrout

New

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Post by brandontrout » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:43 pm

45k Dean's Scholly :?

manwitaplan

New

Post by manwitaplan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:46 pm

Is anyone definitely going to Vanderbilt yet?

86revolt

Bronze

Post by 86revolt » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:54 pm

guess i was wrong. 45k dean's scholarship in the mail yesterday. 165/3.9. makes the UT v. Vandy decision that much more difficult since i got nothing from UT...

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:58 pm

manwitaplan wrote:Is anyone definitely going to Vanderbilt yet?
I am thinking Forza may be.

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:00 pm

thickfreakness wrote:April 9th ASW for me.
Ditto. I'm really excited. I hope that visiting will make my decision easier. I'm visiting Michigan next week, but it'd be hard to turn down having over half of my tuition covered for only somewhat better placement (Michigan places around 60% in top firms vs Vandy places close to 50%).

Who else is facing the T10 vs Vandy with good $ dilemma?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blueberrymuffin

New

Post by blueberrymuffin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:13 pm

beesknees wrote:
Ditto. I'm really excited. I hope that visiting will make my decision easier. I'm visiting Michigan next week, but it'd be hard to turn down having over half of my tuition covered for only somewhat better placement (Michigan places around 60% in top firms vs Vandy places close to 50%).

My Vandy $$ isn't as good as your offer, but I'm in the same boat right now.

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:21 pm

blueberrymuffin wrote:
beesknees wrote:

A big factor for me is the fact that I'm from the south and will want to practice in the south. Though I know it might be damn hard to turn down a great school like Michigan, I'm really leaning towards doing it. I know almost everyone on here has to face the tough decision of going to the best school they got into vs their target school with $.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:50 pm

CyLaw wrote:
manwitaplan wrote:Is anyone definitely going to Vanderbilt yet?
I am thinking Forza may be.
His Vanderbilt tar indicates yes?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:53 pm

beesknees wrote: A big factor for me is the fact that I'm from the south and will want to practice in the south. Though I know it might be damn hard to turn down a great school like Michigan, I'm really leaning towards doing it. I know almost everyone on here has to face the tough decision of going to the best school they got into vs their target school with $.
Since you're sure you want to stay down South, I'd say follow the money and go Vandy. If for some reason your plans change, Vandy has decent placement to take you out of the South if you so desire.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:02 pm

beesknees wrote:
blueberrymuffin wrote:
beesknees wrote:

A big factor for me is the fact that I'm from the south and will want to practice in the south. Though I know it might be damn hard to turn down a great school like Michigan, I'm really leaning towards doing it. I know almost everyone on here has to face the tough decision of going to the best school they got into vs their target school with $.
I'm anticipating 60K or more from Duke and I really have no clue what UVA will do. If I get a decent offer from either of those two places it's going to be a much tougher decision. I'll just have to visit and get a feel for which school or area is going to be the best fit for me. I too want to practice in the south after school, but I'd also like to pursue a federal clerkship and have academia as an option sometime down the line. It just seems that the odds of getting a clerkship are slim unless one is at HYS (and the odds of entering academia down the line even slimmer), so I'm not sure how prudent it would be to let those considerations unduly influence my school choice. So, long story short, Vandy's the offer to beat for me right now.

strokes788

New

Post by strokes788 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:06 pm

Same boat, Vandy 60K dean's scholarship, UT 84K dean's excellence scholarship, but as someone who wants to go to big law and work in California, NYC, Chicago, DC, or Boston, and definitely not in the south, Im split on these scholarships v. possible sticker at Duke/Northwestern/Georgetown (hoping for a Duke scholly, holding out meager hope for some merit aid from Northwestern, not feeling GT on the aid as they seem really random/a bit stingy). Its just tough to turn down a T10, and such great schools, because I feel it could be something I regret later on in life

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:18 pm

beesknees wrote:

I am in a similar spot as well. $$ at Vandy but facing full sticker at Michigan. I don't want to be in the South, and would like to return to California after law school, so I'm leaning Michigan, but it's hard to walk away from close to half tuition.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:25 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:
beesknees wrote:

I am in a similar spot as well. $$ at Vandy but facing full sticker at Michigan. I don't want to be in the South, and would like to return to California after law school, so I'm leaning Michigan, but it's hard to walk away from close to half tuition.
Ever been to Michigan in the winter? :wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:20 pm

Last edited by beesknees on Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:24 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:
beesknees wrote:

Ever been to Michigan in the winter? :wink:
Bring it on! Spent most of my life across the border in Toronto.

roxj

Bronze

Post by roxj » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:33 pm

I know what you guys mean. NYU was my number one choice, I've dreamed of going there for years, and I actually got in. It is hard to turn that down, regardless of what amazing offers come along.

Not complaining about being in this position, just saying that it's a hard choice to make.

luhrenzo

Bronze

Post by luhrenzo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:46 pm

what are my odds? 164/3.53 URM. pretty solid softs. I went complete 1/21. Got rejected from GW and was expecting a wl at the least so I'm kinda jaded and have no ability to gauge my chances. give it to me straight...

thanks

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pearl_earrings

Bronze

Post by pearl_earrings » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:13 am

Envelope today: 81 k Chancellor's award. I am thrilled!
Does anyone know specifics of the "in good standing" stipulation?
I guess I should pick a time to visit... it's going to be a tough choice because I definitely favor the south, and Tulane and Emory are both calling my name...

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:18 am

pearl_earrings wrote:Envelope today: 81 k Chancellor's award. I am thrilled!
I guess I should pick a time to visit... it's going to be a tough choice because I definitely favor the south, and Tulane and Emory are both calling my name...
lol...you don't consider tennessee the south? the only states for which there are commonly disputes over whether they are part of the south are missouri, west virginia, and maryland.

pearl_earrings

Bronze

Post by pearl_earrings » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:28 am

najumobi wrote:
lol...you don't consider tennessee the south? the only states for which there are commonly disputes over whether they are part of the south are missouri, west virginia, and maryland.
Fair! I was hoping for warmer weather though! It's 34 there right now...

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:32 am

pearl_earrings wrote:
najumobi wrote:
Fair! I was hoping for warmer weather though! It's 34 there right now...
ah...ic your point.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

general100

New

Post by general100 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:40 am

I'm deciding between Vandy ($45k/year) and Berkeley -- probably not a dilemma in which many find themselves. Want to be in NY, DC, or ATL, but have never even been to California. Could change my mind about that when I visit, I guess...

MF248

Bronze

Post by MF248 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:21 am

I visited the school yesterday (was actually driving to nashville when my parents called to tell me about the scholly), and asked about the good standing part. There's no grade requirement, it's basically as long as you go to class/have a pulse you have it for all 3 years.

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:31 am

MF248 wrote:
I visited the school yesterday (was actually driving to nashville when my parents called to tell me about the scholly), and asked about the good standing part. There's no grade requirement, it's basically as long as you go to class/have a pulse you have it for all 3 years.
nice.

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:35 am

najumobi wrote:
Maryland's south status is definitely sketchy . . . I'm suspicious of that Maryland.Very suspicious.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”