Vanderbilt 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Grizz

Diamond

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Post by Grizz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:46 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
rad law wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:Yeah I haven't gotten an offer from Duke yet. If the cycle ended today I'd be showing my gold, fo sho. Nashville's awesome, but the COL is higher than Durham's. I'll be at Duke's ASW next week then Vandy's the next. It's all going to come down to the feel of each school and financial considerations. However, I'm a big Alabama fan and they play at Duke next year, so that's a factor in my decision as well.
In all seriousness, thick, 50% vs 47% NLJ250 is not worth the extra money, but wait on Duke and see, for sure.

Vandy football is no great shakes, but the SEC is badass, and I've seen tailgating pictures, it looks insane. ACC? Not so much. Plus Duke football is the TTT of ACC football.

The football is a push for me, honestly. I spent 4 years going to Alabama football games, and I've seen 3 games at Vandy over the years, neither place is going to be able to come close to Alabama for that. Basketball's a different story, though. Also, I'm trying for a clerkship or mid/big-law job in a southern market, so either place would serve me well.
I don't think many places save Ole Miss can really hold a candle to Bama, but when was the last time anyone really tailgated a basketball game? And Vandy's basketball team is pretty good as well, though it's no Duke.

With you're career goals, there's no real wrong choice. It's all about where you feel most comfortable and where you get the most money. I don't know a ton about Duke, but I'm willing to bet Vandy has a more "southern" feel, if that's what you're aiming for. One of my friends is a Vandy 1L, and that's one of the big reasons she likes it. In terms of money, with all the money Vandy threw you, I am willing to bet it's gonna be a better deal.

manwitaplan

New

Post by manwitaplan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:16 pm

Does anyone know if the merit scholarships at Vandy have gpa requirements?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:17 pm

manwitaplan wrote:Does anyone know if the merit scholarships at Vandy have gpa requirements?
Mine is just good academic standing; other posters have said the same.

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:18 pm

rad law wrote:
manwitaplan wrote:Does anyone know if the merit scholarships at Vandy have gpa requirements?
+1

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:19 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:
rad law wrote:
+1
What's your story, Cardinal? Still up in the air on Mich vs. Vandy?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:27 pm

rad law wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:
rad law wrote:
+1
What's your story, Cardinal? Still up in the air on Mich vs. Vandy?
Just got my Fin Aid for Michigan. It's official, full sticker :shock: Visiting Michigan on Friday, and then off to Vandy's ASW on the 26th. After visiting both, I should be ready to decide. As of now, I'm leaning towards Michigan but with $20k/yr at Vandy it's going to be a tough call in the end. How about you, are you deciding between Vandy and Emory?

hv1

Bronze

Post by hv1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:41 pm

after you guys are done discussing basketball, anyone want to speculate on the decisions mailed on 3/16 or what the word is?

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:43 pm

Been complete since 1/26. Does a long wait mean they are just holding till they have dealt with all the other non-auto reject numbers? My numbers are marginal at best for Vandy. 25% GPA/LSAT

sternc

Bronze

Post by sternc » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:48 pm

Yeah, do y'all think the DM 3/16 is a random collection of acceptance, rejects and WLs or a batch of one or the other? Also, if accepted is the scholarship information in the package?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:49 pm

cardinalandgold wrote: Just got my Fin Aid for Michigan. It's official, full sticker :shock: Visiting Michigan on Friday, and then off to Vandy's ASW on the 26th. After visiting both, I should be ready to decide. As of now, I'm leaning towards Michigan but with $20k/yr at Vandy it's going to be a tough call in the end. How about you, are you deciding between Vandy and Emory?
Yeah, it's definitely a tough call, and like I posted in thickfreakness's case, there isn't really a wrong answer. NLJ250 placement is pretty close. Money is great at Vandy for sure, and if you were sure you wanted to stay down South, I'd recommend Vandy, but since you seem pretty open about it, I definitely agree that the visit should have a large hand in your choice. I guess I might see you March 26.

I've pretty much decided. With equal money, Vandy seems like the obvious choice. I've been hearing that Vandy is equal to or greater than Emory in Atlanta, where I want to work. I'm gonna write to Emory asking for more money, but they don't negotiate, so that's almost assuredly not going to happen. I'm going to both ASDs, but my mind is 95% made up.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:54 pm

hv1 wrote:after you guys are done discussing basketball, anyone want to speculate on the decisions mailed on 3/16 or what the word is?
sternc wrote:Yeah, do y'all think the DM 3/16 is a random collection of acceptance, rejects and WLs or a batch of one or the other? Also, if accepted is the scholarship information in the package?
We could but it would be just that .. speculation. None of us know. Most of the decisions going out have been WLs and rejects although it appears this batch has very competitive numbers. If you get the package within 4 or so business days of it having been mailed you're golden, if after that time you still have nothing, start looking for a small WL/rejection envelope.

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:56 pm

rad law wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote: Just got my Fin Aid for Michigan. It's official, full sticker :shock: Visiting Michigan on Friday, and then off to Vandy's ASW on the 26th. After visiting both, I should be ready to decide. As of now, I'm leaning towards Michigan but with $20k/yr at Vandy it's going to be a tough call in the end. How about you, are you deciding between Vandy and Emory?
Yeah, it's definitely a tough call, and like I posted in thickfreakness's case, there isn't really a wrong answer. NLJ250 placement is pretty close. Money is great at Vandy for sure, and if you were sure you wanted to stay down South, I'd recommend Vandy, but since you seem pretty open about it, I definitely agree that the visit should have a large hand in your choice. I guess I might see you March 26.

I've pretty much decided. With equal money, Vandy seems like the obvious choice. I've been hearing that Vandy is equal to or greater than Emory in Atlanta, where I want to work. I'm gonna write to Emory asking for more money, but they don't negotiate, so that's almost assuredly not going to happen. I'm going to both ASDs, but my mind is 95% made up.
Congrats man! I think you're making the right call, especially having attended Emory for undergrad IIRC. I don't have any desire to stay in the south, and am aiming for California first and then DC. That is the only reason that is making me pause from choosing Vandy. Vandy's placement in DC seems to be fine, but their placement in California is shaky. On the other hand I'm having a hard time justifying paying sticker even at a T10 with ITE. I might just have to toss a coin to decide in the end :lol:

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:00 pm

Most likely it will be mixed. But given that nobody so far has posted a DM3/16 with auto-waitlist/reject numbers i'm really really really really really really really really really really holding hope that this is an acceptance batch.

also, I called the admissions office two or three days ago, they said decisions will mostly take about 8-10 weeks but is shorter for some. I'm guessing that means auto-admits are getting in quicker, which means this could still be a batch of not-auto-admit admits. which would also explain why nobody with 171/3.8x has a DM3/16 either

this is all speculation though

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jcgolf88

New

Post by jcgolf88 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:26 pm

DM 3/16 as well with 168/3.68. I'm really hoping this is an acceptance batch but my numbers could be waitlist material from what I've been reading. Also, I'm leaving for spring break on friday and as such won't get my letter for another week and a half. Think there's any way I could call the admissions office sometime next week and ask them to tell me my decision? I know some other schools will do this but I'm not sure about Vandy.

Chelios

Bronze

Post by Chelios » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:39 pm

If you're not going to attend, please withdraw for all of our sakes

LS18

New

Post by LS18 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:18 pm

For those of you with scholarships, how soon after your acceptances did you receive them? Just wondering if I still should hold out hope for a scholarship (got in last week).

Sherpa

New

Post by Sherpa » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:30 pm

DM 3/16 here. 174/3.8

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

set88

New

Post by set88 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:30 pm

jcgolf88 wrote:DM 3/16 as well with 168/3.68. I'm really hoping this is an acceptance batch but my numbers could be waitlist material from what I've been reading. Also, I'm leaving for spring break on friday and as such won't get my letter for another week and a half. Think there's any way I could call the admissions office sometime next week and ask them to tell me my decision? I know some other schools will do this but I'm not sure about Vandy.
You make me disappointed. 168/3.71 and no decision. :( When did you go complete? Mine was a later app, 2/11 complete.

smacroon

New

Post by smacroon » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:19 pm

LS18 wrote:For those of you with scholarships, how soon after your acceptances did you receive them? Just wondering if I still should hold out hope for a scholarship (got in last week).
I was accepted in January and just got scholorship info a couple weeks ago but should go faster for you I would imagine since they did not even start sending schol info until end of Feb/early March for all applicants.

Nat1018

Bronze

Post by Nat1018 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:04 pm

DM 3/16 too...here's hoping for good news!!!

jcgolf88

New

Post by jcgolf88 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:20 pm

set88 wrote:
jcgolf88 wrote:DM 3/16 as well with 168/3.68. I'm really hoping this is an acceptance batch but my numbers could be waitlist material from what I've been reading. Also, I'm leaving for spring break on friday and as such won't get my letter for another week and a half. Think there's any way I could call the admissions office sometime next week and ask them to tell me my decision? I know some other schools will do this but I'm not sure about Vandy.
You make me disappointed. 168/3.71 and no decision. :( When did you go complete? Mine was a later app, 2/11 complete.
I've been complete since 1/4 so don't worry about it too much.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pearl_earrings

Bronze

Post by pearl_earrings » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:39 pm

smacroon wrote:
LS18 wrote:For those of you with scholarships, how soon after your acceptances did you receive them? Just wondering if I still should hold out hope for a scholarship (got in last week).
I was accepted in January and just got scholorship info a couple weeks ago but should go faster for you I would imagine since they did not even start sending schol info until end of Feb/early March for all applicants.
I was admitted mid-December and also received scholarship info a few weeks ago.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:41 pm

Nat1018 wrote:DM 3/16 too...here's hoping for good news!!!
numbers?

publiuspublicola

Bronze

Post by publiuspublicola » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:44 pm

pearl_earrings wrote:
smacroon wrote:
I was admitted mid-December and also received scholarship info a few weeks ago.
My scholly followed only a week or so after my decision (but I wasn't admitted until last month).

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:55 pm

DM 3/16
168 3.87

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”