UC Davis

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TWoodWil

Re: UC Davis

Postby TWoodWil » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:54 pm

adonai wrote:
Veritas wrote:lol at that email.

YOU ARE NOT ADMITTED DO NOT CALL US! JUST FILL OUT THE DAMN PAPERS

I am glad they went out of their way to clear that up beforehand though. They REALLY were thorough with everything. WHEN WHY HOW WHERE. The funniest part of that email though was "Decisions are being made weekly."

Two or three decisions a week is still "Decisions are being made weekly."

My theory is that they are translating all of our documents into another language, translating them back into English, and then comparing that re-translation line-by-line to our original docs. That's why it takes so long for them to "evaluate" our files.

ViP

Postby ViP » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:15 pm

Seriously- don't really appreciate the harsh tone considering how long they take to make decisions.

mountaintime

Postby mountaintime » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:18 pm

UCD is so full of fail this cycle; I no longer have any desire to go there

TWoodWil

Postby TWoodWil » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:23 pm

ViP wrote:

Seriously- don't really appreciate the harsh tone considering how long they take to make decisions.

To be fair, they do routinely and clearly stress that their admissions process takes a long time. I'd have to imagine that even with that upfront information they still get loads of calls and emails asking about application statuses. They pretty much have to be so forceful so as not to be inundated.

Same thing with Hastings, the other epically slow UC, they are upfront that it'll take a good amount of time for a decision. They're clear that they won't provide much (if any) information during the process. They spell out clearing in emails and on their website not to contact the admissions office about application status. After all that both schools still get such inquires coming in.

No amount of clarity seems to stop what they tell applicants to stop doing, so the only recourse they have is to drill, hard, in every additional bit of correspondence the same message they've been saying since day 1.

ViP

Postby ViP » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:28 pm

TWoodWil wrote:
ViP wrote:

To be fair, they do routinely and clearly stress that their admissions process takes a long time. I'd have to imagine that even with that upfront information they still get loads of calls and emails asking about application statuses. They pretty much have to be so forceful so as not to be inundated.

Same thing with Hastings, the other epically slow UC, they are upfront that it'll take a good amount of time for a decision. They're clear that they won't provide much (if any) information during the process. They spell out clearing in emails and on their website not to contact the admissions office about application status. After all that both schools still get such inquires coming in.

No amount of clarity seems to stop what they tell applicants to stop doing, so the only recourse they have is to drill, hard, in every additional bit of correspondence the same message they've been saying since day 1.

Oh, you're absolutely right. I'm very sure they feel the need to drill the message due to excessive emails/calls from prospective students. But since, as you've noted, this is nothing new for Davis admissions, I would've liked to have seen Davis expedite the process a bit this year. Oh well.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:51 am

mountaintime wrote:UCD is so full of fail this cycle; I no longer have any desire to go there

I have to agree. I'd love to be accepted, but at this point....ugh.

TWoodWil

Postby TWoodWil » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:11 am

ec2xs wrote:
mountaintime wrote:UCD is so full of fail this cycle; I no longer have any desire to go there

Really? You'd honestly turn down an acceptance from Davis because of the wait that you knew you'd have to face (which they make clear)?
That's either:
1) Whining/venting - which is legitimate, but still it's just whining. Better to joke than whine.
2) Literally true, and as such is stunningly poor judgment on your part

I understand the sentiment behind those statements, but it would be ridiculous to turn down Davis solely because of the admissions process. $$$ and getting into a higher ranked school are legit reasons, but having to wait six or eight weeks longer than some other schools is not a legitimate reason. Be patient. You knew what you were getting into when you applied. And if you didn't, well that's the applicant's problem for not doing the research before hand.

Heck, the admissions process could in part be crafted to weed out such people. A thorough/"holistic" evaluation + built-in lengthy process so those that don't belong self-select their way out.

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:31 am

This need access form is worse than a fucking root canal. What the hell am I supposed to do for the 2010 income estimates? Can anyone who has already filled out the form help me?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:32 am

yo! wrote:This need access form is worse than a fucking root canal. What the hell am I supposed to do for the 2010 income estimates? Can anyone who has already filled out the form help me?

sure, I can help.

what's getting you down?

TWoodWil

Postby TWoodWil » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:34 am

yo! wrote:This need access form is worse than a fucking root canal. What the hell am I supposed to do for the 2010 income estimates? Can anyone who has already filled out the form help me?

I had to estimate and extrapolate - that's all one can do. Need Access is a total pain. Applying for financial aid from a school should not be more length and complicated than the application for admission.

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:34 am

Veritas wrote:

sure, I can help.

what's getting you down?

The part about the 2010 estimated tax return. Can I just make a guess or is there some kind of calculator that I need?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:37 am

yo! wrote:
Veritas wrote:

sure, I can help.

what's getting you down?

The part about the 2010 estimated tax return. Can I just make a guess or is there some kind of calculator that I need?

I just made a guess based on my expected income and such. It's all guessing.

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:38 am

yo! wrote:
Veritas wrote:

sure, I can help.

what's getting you down?

I just added up the salary I make for half the year and put 0 for the other half because I'll be in school. The estimated taxes part I pulled out of my ass. I'm not an accountant people :wink:

I just finished my part and waiting on the parentals. Man, asking to add up all financial support for your ENTIRE education?? Crazy.

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:41 am

calgal17 wrote:
yo! wrote:
Veritas wrote:

sure, I can help.

what's getting you down?

I just added up the salary I make for half the year and put 0 for the other half because I'll be in school. The estimated taxes part I pulled out of my ass. I'm not an accountant people :wink:

I just finished my part and waiting on the parentals. Man, asking to add up all financial support for your ENTIRE education?? Crazy.

Okay, thanks guys. I'm doing the same thing. I was just getting worried when it started talking about tax estimate forms.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:41 am

calgal17 wrote:
yo! wrote:
Veritas wrote:

sure, I can help.

what's getting you down?

makes it easy when it's 0. In fact, it made the whole NA easy.

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:45 am

Veritas wrote:
calgal17 wrote:
Veritas wrote:
yo! wrote:

makes it easy when it's 0. In fact, it made the whole NA easy.

haha true. I added it up and then I felt guilty. :oops:

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:48 am

TWoodWil wrote:
ec2xs wrote:

Really? You'd honestly turn down an acceptance from Davis because of the wait that you knew you'd have to face (which they make clear)?
That's either:
1) Whining/venting - which is legitimate, but still it's just whining. Better to joke than whine.
2) Literally true, and as such is stunningly poor judgment on your part

I understand the sentiment behind those statements, but it would be ridiculous to turn down Davis solely because of the admissions process. $$$ and getting into a higher ranked school are legit reasons, but having to wait six or eight weeks longer than some other schools is not a legitimate reason. Be patient. You knew what you were getting into when you applied. And if you didn't, well that's the applicant's problem for not doing the research before hand.

Heck, the admissions process could in part be crafted to weed out such people. A thorough/"holistic" evaluation + built-in lengthy process so those that don't belong self-select their way out.

You've missed out on another option. I've been researching/visiting the schools I HAVE been accepted to and really loved the programs, admissions staffs, and environments. I've already emotionally committed before UC Davis has even offered a decision.

TWoodWil

Postby TWoodWil » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:59 am

ec2xs wrote:You've missed out on another option. I've been researching/visiting the schools I HAVE been accepted to and really loved the programs, admissions staffs, and environments. I've already emotionally committed before UC Davis has even offered a decision.

Nope, that was covered in option 1.

Now, here's how to deal with the frustration - poor attempts at humor:

King Hall admissions process is so slow it violates the Sixth Amendment.
Reason #1 why King Hall is slow - UC Davis heard Cooley's new ranking system gives schools points for the length of time applicants have to wait.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:04 am

TWoodWil wrote:
ec2xs wrote:You've missed out on another option. I've been researching/visiting the schools I HAVE been accepted to and really loved the programs, admissions staffs, and environments. I've already emotionally committed before UC Davis has even offered a decision.

The fact that I've had months to visit other schools and decide they fit my intentions is whining? You've lost me.

Granted, applicants should know they are in for a long wait with UC Davis. That being said, it doesn't exonerate UC Davis from being one of the slowest schools out there. It isn't advantageous for schools to take this long; it really gives other schools a chance to be more ambitious in recruiting. I've developed relationships with admissions reps since November.

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:13 am

One more question: I'm not putting parental info since I'm married, but it keeps prompting me to fill out the parental info. When I try to pay and submit, it tells me this:

The Parent Section of your application is not complete.
Please be aware that parents' data is required for financial aid applicants to one or more of the institutions to which you are applying. Failure to submit this information may affect the financial aid you are offered.

Click the "Return to Main Menu" button below to return to the Need Access application Main Menu page.

Click the "Exit & Return Later" button below to save the information you have entered thus far, exit the application without submitting it, and return later to complete it.

Click the "Continue" button below if you want to submit your Need Access application now, even though it is not complete.

Should I just submit it, or is there something else I should do?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:26 am

yo! wrote:One more question: I'm not putting parental info since I'm married, but it keeps prompting me to fill out the parental info. When I try to pay and submit, it tells me this:

The Parent Section of your application is not complete.
Please be aware that parents' data is required for financial aid applicants to one or more of the institutions to which you are applying. Failure to submit this information may affect the financial aid you are offered.

Click the "Return to Main Menu" button below to return to the Need Access application Main Menu page.

Click the "Exit & Return Later" button below to save the information you have entered thus far, exit the application without submitting it, and return later to complete it.

Click the "Continue" button below if you want to submit your Need Access application now, even though it is not complete.

Should I just submit it, or is there something else I should do?

I think you just go ahead and submit it. You claimed your spouse a dependent, right? I think that's how it works...

NervousInKC

Postby NervousInKC » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:03 am

TWoodWil wrote:

Now, here's how to deal with the frustration - poor attempts at humor:

King Hall admissions process is so slow it violates the Sixth Amendment.
Reason #1 why King Hall is slow - UC Davis heard Cooley's new ranking system gives schools points for the length of time applicants have to wait.

Ha, these ARE very poor attempts, but it made me smile :) Davis is my top choice. I am just so anxious to hear! I live a great distance from California, so I really want to know so I can plan a visit BEFORE my other seat deposits are due!

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:37 am

Just a little friendly comparison to keep things in perspective:

UCD: Applied 11/2, Admitted 2/4 (3 month turn-around time, including Dec LSAT)
UW: Applied 10/20, STILL Ready for Review 12/29 (4 month turn-around time and counting)

HTH

rorystewart

Postby rorystewart » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:31 pm

WL’d today (or last night during their update).

Neil

Postby Neil » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:40 pm

rorystewart wrote:WL’d today (or last night during their update).

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, numbers twin, say it ain't so!

Sorry to hear that, for both of our sakes...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”