UC Davis

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
katalatriste

Re: UC Davis

Postby katalatriste » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:36 am

decision mailed today .... and im IN! :)

jahallc

Postby jahallc » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:11 am

katalatriste wrote:decision mailed today .... and im IN! :)

Congrats! Is UCD one of your top choices?

adonai

Postby adonai » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:27 am

Did you find out through status checker today? Or did you receive it in the mail today?

katalatriste

Postby katalatriste » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:34 am

jahallc wrote:

yes! it is ... just waiting on waitlist decisions from hastings and usc

adonai wrote:

Did you find out through status checker today? Or did you receive it in the mail today?

i found out through status checker today :)

yo!

Postby yo! » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:30 pm

katalatriste wrote:
jahallc wrote:

yes! it is ... just waiting on waitlist decisions from hastings and usc

adonai wrote:

i found out through status checker today :)

Congrats! It is great to see some of the non-auto admits finally getting some love. :)

jahallc

Postby jahallc » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:52 pm

Has anyone started a UC Davis 2013 thread? I can't seem to find one under the Class of 2013 forum.

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:19 pm

jahallc wrote:Has anyone started a UC Davis 2013 thread? I can't seem to find one under the Class of 2013 forum.

DONE!

jahallc

Postby jahallc » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:26 pm

gatorlion wrote:
jahallc wrote:Has anyone started a UC Davis 2013 thread? I can't seem to find one under the Class of 2013 forum.

DONE!

Awesome. Thanks!

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:32 pm

bummer, from LSN it looks like nobody below 3.5 has been accepted

star10

Postby star10 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:59 pm

Debating whether or not I want to fill out the Need Access form for Davis. I already got rejected from Hastings so Davis seems pretty unlikely at this point. I feel like I'll be out $28 which sadly I'm broke enough where that would matter...

Are you guys all filling the Need Access form regardless of whether or not you've heard back yet?

yo!

Postby yo! » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:02 pm

star10 wrote:Debating whether or not I want to fill out the Need Access form for Davis. I already got rejected from Hastings so Davis seems pretty unlikely at this point. I feel like I'll be out $28 which sadly I'm broke enough where that would matter...

Are you guys all filling the Need Access form regardless of whether or not you've heard back yet?

I will fill the piece of shit out tonight. I can't believe I have to report parental income regardless of the fact that I am married! My parents will not be helping me with law school at all, but their income will certainly kill my chances for grant money :x

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:04 pm

yo! wrote:
star10 wrote:Debating whether or not I want to fill out the Need Access form for Davis. I already got rejected from Hastings so Davis seems pretty unlikely at this point. I feel like I'll be out $28 which sadly I'm broke enough where that would matter...

I will fill the piece of shit out tonight. I can't believe I have to report parental income regardless of the fact that I am married! My parents will not be helping me with law school at all, but their income will certainly kill my chances for grant money :x

I know!!! I'm so angry about that too. My boyfriend keeps telling me to just not do it, but he doesn't understand that if I do that, I get nothing! Of course I could get nothing anyway because my parents make a decent living even though they won't be helping me AT ALL financially in law school. fml. :cry:

nickc8

Postby nickc8 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:04 pm

yo! wrote:

This Need Access form is JUST for need-based grants, right? So if I know I made too much money to get a grant, it's pointless?

star10

Postby star10 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:06 pm

I agree...its BS we have to provide our parent's info...It's been over 6 years since I've lived at home or got any money from my parents!

I'm curious as well...how much is considered too much in terms of income for a need based grant typically?

lawlife2010

Postby lawlife2010 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:08 pm

yo! wrote:

I'm in the exact same boat. Pisses me off

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:09 pm

lawlife2010 wrote:
yo! wrote:

I'm in the exact same boat. Pisses me off

+1

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:10 pm

lol at that email.

YOU ARE NOT ADMITTED DO NOT CALL US! JUST FILL OUT THE DAMN PAPERS

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Veritas wrote:lol at that email.

yeah that made me lol. They are really trying to cover their bases. This doesn't mean we like you!

yo!

Postby yo! » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:12 pm

star10 wrote:I agree...its BS we have to provide our parent's info...It's been over 6 years since I've lived at home or got any money from my parents!

I'm curious as well...how much is considered too much in terms of income for a need based grant typically?

I don't know how much is too much, but I suspect that I'm screwed. My parent's income + my wife's income = well over 200 per year. At least my wife will cover COL for me, but my parents aren't giving me shit.

star10

Postby star10 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:24 pm

I may be wrong but can't you file a spouse as a dependent? I have no idea since I'm not married but my co-worker says you can file your taxes in a way where this is possible??

If so the email says people with dependents are exempt from having to put their parent's income...

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:16 pm

star10 wrote:I may be wrong but can't you file a spouse as a dependent? I have no idea since I'm not married but my co-worker says you can file your taxes in a way where this is possible??

If so the email says people with dependents are exempt from having to put their parent's income...

I'm not tax attorney, but I'd imagine the only way you can claim your spouse as a dependent is if you're married to Terri Schiavo (or comparable).

Might I add: NeedAccess can go eff itself.

totebags

Postby totebags » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:21 pm

I finally completed the Need Access form this weekend. Really sucks. It's such a piece of shit form, but I think it mainly serves to supplement the FAFSA. It tries to answer any of the FA officers' questions that the FAFSA can't (maybe to suss out whether you're trustfunder). At the very end of the Need Access form, it asks: "Enter here any explanations of special circumstances which you believe may affect the financial aid decision for this applicant." I basically wrote that I'm financially independent, completed undergrad four years ago and my parents didn't pay a dime of my undergrad tuition. The same prompt is on the parents' form. I wouldn't worry too much.

Cale39

Postby Cale39 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:29 pm

haha yeah that email today made me lulz

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:13 pm

Hey everyone, I wanted to cover a common misconception that was previously stated by a few people.

I just filled out my Need Based form, and you DO NOT need to fill out parental information if you are married (and file taxes as so). I was married in November and since my wife and I filed together, she is considered a legal dependent of mine, and I believe I am a legal dependent of her.

My uncle (who is a CPA) and completed my FAFSA/Need Based, told me this, so I did not give any parental information.

UC Davis specifically says you do not need to report parental info if you have legal dependent.

adonai

Postby adonai » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:37 pm

Veritas wrote:lol at that email.

I am glad they went out of their way to clear that up beforehand though. They REALLY were thorough with everything. WHEN WHY HOW WHERE. The funniest part of that email though was "Decisions are being made weekly."

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”