UC Davis

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
General Tso

Re: UC Davis

Postby General Tso » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:57 pm

Inygma wrote:Are you currently attending Davis? How do you like it / Do you believe you made the right decision?

Nope Hastings. I like it okay I guess...it's harder than I expected.

VERY unhappy about the tuition increases though.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:01 pm

swheat wrote:
Inygma wrote:Are you currently attending Davis? How do you like it / Do you believe you made the right decision?

I thought you had the Irvine option, too?

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:02 pm

swheat wrote:
superflush wrote:GW, Notre Dame, Fordham

Yeah those too. But I don't know that they would give you significantly better career prospects in CA than Davis. And they might not be cheaper either.

They'd give you better career prospects overall, and the possibility of CA. Which is cool with me.
And tuition-wise, I think they'd definitely be cheaper. COL in NY & DC is another issue. ND or WUSTL would be cheaper all-around (with no scholly $ factored in).
I'll probably be cool with going to the best school I get into and rolling the dice with career location prospects. If I was adamant about CA, and didn't get into Davis, there is also T2 options in CA.

adonai

Postby adonai » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:10 pm

superflush wrote:
swheat wrote:
superflush wrote:GW, Notre Dame, Fordham

Yeah those too. But I don't know that they would give you significantly better career prospects in CA than Davis. And they might not be cheaper either.

They'd give you better career prospects overall, and the possibility of CA. Which is cool with me.
And tuition-wise, I think they'd definitely be cheaper. COL in NY & DC is another issue. ND or WUSTL would be cheaper all-around (with no scholly $ factored in).
I'll probably be cool with going to the best school I get into and rolling the dice with career location prospects. If I was adamant about CA, and didn't get into Davis, there is also T2 options in CA.

What gives those schools prospects in CA compared to other schools in the same range/closer to CA? Alumni-base?

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:22 pm

adonai wrote:What gives those schools prospects in CA compared to other schools in the same range/closer to CA? Alumni-base?

yea, and CA firms at OCI.

adonai

Postby adonai » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:36 pm

superflush wrote:
adonai wrote:What gives those schools prospects in CA compared to other schools in the same range/closer to CA? Alumni-base?

I'll go a step further...what is it exactly about these schools that attracts CA firms?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:51 pm

superflush wrote:

Mind sharing where you are getting these facts from?

I've done my own research. I looked up California's largest firms, went to their websites, and did a search on all their lawyers on what law schools they attended. I did this for Fordham, NotreDame, and BU against Hastings, and Davis.

By far hastings had the most lawyers with Davis coming in Second. Davis had 50% less then hastings, but Hastings is more then 2 times larger so i figured that's where the discrepancy came in.

As for Fordham, BU, and NotreDame, they had a small fraction of what even Davis had in CA. Notre Dame had the least, and BU had the most out of these 3.

But please tell us where you got your information from.

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:40 pm

finalaspects wrote:Mind sharing where you are getting these facts from?

I've done my own research. I looked up California's largest firms, went to their websites, and did a search on all their lawyers on what law schools they attended. I did this for Fordham, NotreDame, and BU against Hastings, and Davis.

Don't mistake the amount of lawyers in a given region from a given school as their reach. Of course that is going to be the case.
I'm just taking the OCI data from LSN.
Also, I'm not necessarily advocating going to any of these schools over Davis or Hastings if you are dead-set on the Bay Area or elsewhere in CA. If anything, I'm saying that with these tuition hikes, I would likely be considering other options weighed against Davis, and just rolling the dice with where I end up.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:47 pm

swheat wrote:

Hey Swheat I have some questions, if you dont mind.

Why did you decide to go to Hastings instead of Loyola with all that $$?

Do you live in McAllister Tower? If so, what is it like? Are the rooms any good?

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:40 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:
swheat wrote:

Hey Swheat I have some questions, if you dont mind.

Why did you decide to go to Hastings instead of Loyola with all that $$?

Do you live in McAllister Tower? If so, what is it like? Are the rooms any good?

+1 also interested

notme

Postby notme » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:19 pm

Just some additional input here. Last cycle I was accepted to Davis and Hastings, and strongly considered both for CA (would have chosen Davis over Hastings for a number of personal preference reasons). Then a number of other schools came through, so, pretty much, everything below USC was available. I suspect this is the case with a lot people considering Hastings/Davis. I visited a number of the schools, talked to a bunch of attorneys, including a partner on the hiring committee of a big law firm in LA. The consensus was ND and for a time that was my decision. UCLA opened up so I ended up there, but the point is, you should at least apply to ND and WUSTL, and if accepted, look into them more seriously.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:05 pm

notme wrote:Just some additional input here. Last cycle I was accepted to Davis and Hastings, and strongly considered both for CA (would have chosen Davis over Hastings for a number of personal preference reasons). Then a number of other schools came through, so, pretty much, everything below USC was available. I suspect this is the case with a lot people considering Hastings/Davis. I visited a number of the schools, talked to a bunch of attorneys, including a partner on the hiring committee of a big law firm in LA. The consensus was ND and for a time that was my decision. UCLA opened up so I ended up there, but the point is, you should at least apply to ND and WUSTL, and if accepted, look into them more seriously.

Never thought about those 2, but I'll look into it, thanks for the info and congrat on UCLA

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:25 pm

notme wrote:Just some additional input here. Last cycle I was accepted to Davis and Hastings, and strongly considered both for CA (would have chosen Davis over Hastings for a number of personal preference reasons). Then a number of other schools came through, so, pretty much, everything below USC was available. I suspect this is the case with a lot people considering Hastings/Davis. I visited a number of the schools, talked to a bunch of attorneys, including a partner on the hiring committee of a big law firm in LA. The consensus was ND and for a time that was my decision. UCLA opened up so I ended up there, but the point is, you should at least apply to ND and WUSTL, and if accepted, look into them more seriously.

Thank you for that information. Did they just pretty much recommend any higher ranked school? And they were not against Hastings or Davis correct? The just believed that ND is a better choice?

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:53 pm

Complete as of 11/23

hhg

Postby hhg » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:15 am

under review as of late this evening. application sent 6 nov & 24 nov. excited for some movement... haven't had much from any of my schools in a while.

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:24 am

hhg wrote:under review as of late this evening. application sent 6 nov & 24 nov. excited for some movement... haven't had much from any of my schools in a while.

Can you give #s please?

cramos12

Postby cramos12 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:30 am

Bah, still waiting for complete.

So! Anyone think the applicant pool will be affected by the tuition hike?

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:35 am

cramos12 wrote:Bah, still waiting for complete.

Nope. Those of us who have Davis as our #1 choice will hope, but in the end it won't.

cramos12

Postby cramos12 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:43 am

adonai wrote:

Nope. Those of us who have Davis as our #1 choice will hope, but in the end it won't.

Hmmm I still suspect there will be a drop in applications across the board for UCs. Times are rough! (Then again, that didn't stop myself from applying along with Xthousand others). Maybe won't affect the composition of applicant pool stats, but perhaps matriculation? Haha, dare to dream!

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:50 am

"Evaluation in Progress" as of this evening (sent 11/09, complete 11/24) - even though it's a target/safety school for me, my heart is beating fast because I have yet to hear from any schools, and this cycle has been pretty weird so far (see Cornell thread).
No results yet on LSN for this year. Anyone know when Davis usually starts handing out decisions?

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:00 am

OneKnight wrote:"Evaluation in Progress" as of this evening (sent 11/09, complete 11/24) - even though it's a target/safety school for me, my heart is beating fast because I have yet to hear from any schools, and this cycle has been pretty weird so far (see Cornell thread).
No results yet on LSN for this year. Anyone know when Davis usually starts handing out decisions?

Auto-admits will usually find out by mid-december to early january. Congratulations.
cramos12 wrote:
adonai wrote:

Hmmm I still suspect there will be a drop in applications across the board for UCs. Times are rough! (Then again, that didn't stop myself from applying along with Xthousand others). Maybe won't affect the composition of applicant pool stats, but perhaps matriculation? Haha, dare to dream!

Yeah, but I don't think much of this news has ventured out to out of staters. It is a big commotion for Californians, but I doubt many people outside of California know much about it or don't really know about its impact. I think we will see its effects next year or the year after when out of state tuition nears 60k

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:10 am

Evaluation in Progress also as of the 30th.

Received 11/5, Complete 11/23

163/3.71

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:11 am

I hope Davis starts accepting soon, the last few years were horrible. Some auto-admits didn't get in till March or later.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:55 am

Inygma wrote:I hope Davis starts accepting soon, the last few years were horrible. Some auto-admits didn't get in till March or later.

relax buddy...you are a definite in. Davis is SLOOOOWW

(as long as you didn't write your PS about FOB parents or your Fratboy Slip-n-slide Defense)

hhg

Postby hhg » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:08 am

adonai wrote:
hhg wrote:under review as of late this evening. application sent 6 nov & 24 nov. excited for some movement... haven't had much from any of my schools in a while.

Can you give #s please?

168 / mid-3 gpa

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”