UC Davis

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
finalaspects

Re: UC Davis

Postby finalaspects » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:29 pm

yo! wrote:Yeah, its still borderline. My LSAT is at the 75th, but my GPA is below the median and pretty close to the 25th for matriculating students. This seems to be a pretty competitive cycle, so we aren't exactly auto-admits (far from it) :cry:

I'm worried with a 168 LSAT.... then again my GPA is like 3.0....

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:31 pm

finalaspects wrote:
yo! wrote:Yeah, its still borderline. My LSAT is at the 75th, but my GPA is below the median and pretty close to the 25th for matriculating students. This seems to be a pretty competitive cycle, so we aren't exactly auto-admits (far from it) :cry:

AHHH I got scared last night that I was getting rejected. UCDavis starts my list of CA schools I am super stoked to hear from, so I hope my fears are irrational.

FA, when will we hear!?!?

algren

Postby algren » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:32 pm

yo! wrote:
rufferoo wrote:
yo! wrote:I think I have a LOOOOONG wait ahead of me. I submitted in Dec, my app took forever to go complete, and I'm still awaiting eval. To top it off, my numbers are borderline (163/3.51). I hope I hear something before seat deposits are due at other schools :|

dude.. is that borderline?
i think on the website its kinda misleading...
the stats they show are for the people they accept*
but for the ppl that actually attend*, its way lower.. i think 163 is 75th percentile - the info is on lsac

.. at least thats what I'm hoping for.. cuz i REALLY want to get in!!! :( I have a 164 and no GPA (Cuz im international.. they gave me a B+ in conversion which = a crappy 3.3 i think :( )

Yeah, its still borderline. My LSAT is at the 75th, but my GPA is below the median and pretty close to the 25th for matriculating students. This seems to be a pretty competitive cycle, so we aren't exactly auto-admits (far from it) :cry:

Dude. You're going to be fine. Put some optimisim in your coffee this morning and you'll feel better. :-)

Also, just as a point of contention, I've noticed a lot of people saying this is a "competitive cycle" (not just for UCD, but for a lot of schools) and I'm not sure where that's coming from? If you're basing that on LSN stats, keep in mind that many of the higher number candidates will withdraw for higher ranked schools and a lot of early admits are the auto-admits that are well above medians.

If you're basing that presumption on the increase in the total applicant pool, keep in mind that more applicants doesn't necessarily translate to better applicants.

Don't mean to call you out in particular or anything, I've seen this posted a lot, but I feel as though there's more worry going around than is maybe warranted. FWIW, I think you'll be admitted without a lot of hesitation - best of luck!

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:35 pm

Veritas wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

AHHH I got scared last night that I was getting rejected. UCDavis starts my list of CA schools I am super stoked to hear from, so I hope my fears are irrational.

knowing davis... about in 2 years... make sure you do you FAFSA and needaccess though by this month!

PowerPro64

Postby PowerPro64 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:38 pm

Why do we have to do our FAFSA this month?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:45 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Veritas wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

knowing davis... about in 2 years... make sure you do you FAFSA and needaccess though by this month!

all finished :mrgreen:

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:11 pm

PowerPro64 wrote:Why do we have to do our FAFSA this month?

March 1 is "priority filing" deadline or something like that. If you file FAFSA after that you may not get any grants

yo!

Postby yo! » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:24 pm

algren wrote:
yo! wrote:
rufferoo wrote:
yo! wrote:I think I have a LOOOOONG wait ahead of me. I submitted in Dec, my app took forever to go complete, and I'm still awaiting eval. To top it off, my numbers are borderline (163/3.51). I hope I hear something before seat deposits are due at other schools :|

dude.. is that borderline?
i think on the website its kinda misleading...
the stats they show are for the people they accept*
but for the ppl that actually attend*, its way lower.. i think 163 is 75th percentile - the info is on lsac

.. at least thats what I'm hoping for.. cuz i REALLY want to get in!!! :( I have a 164 and no GPA (Cuz im international.. they gave me a B+ in conversion which = a crappy 3.3 i think :( )

Yeah, its still borderline. My LSAT is at the 75th, but my GPA is below the median and pretty close to the 25th for matriculating students. This seems to be a pretty competitive cycle, so we aren't exactly auto-admits (far from it) :cry:

Dude. You're going to be fine. Put some optimisim in your coffee this morning and you'll feel better. :-)

Also, just as a point of contention, I've noticed a lot of people saying this is a "competitive cycle" (not just for UCD, but for a lot of schools) and I'm not sure where that's coming from? If you're basing that on LSN stats, keep in mind that many of the higher number candidates will withdraw for higher ranked schools and a lot of early admits are the auto-admits that are well above medians.

If you're basing that presumption on the increase in the total applicant pool, keep in mind that more applicants doesn't necessarily translate to better applicants.

Don't mean to call you out in particular or anything, I've seen this posted a lot, but I feel as though there's more worry going around than is maybe warranted. FWIW, I think you'll be admitted without a lot of hesitation - best of luck!

Thanks for the encouragement, and I sure hope that you are right. I was mostly basing the difficulty of this cylcle on the large number of applicants. While I understand that more applicants doesn't = better applicants, I think it still makes things tougher. I would assume that the increase in applications comes from across the board (some great, some weak) and Davis probably won't increase its number of seats. More apps from strong/weak candidates, still means more strong candidates overall and less spots for those of us with average numbers. With that said, I still think they will admit me, I just don't want to wait until May to hear about it!

DoctorNick189

Postby DoctorNick189 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:06 pm

Anyone think I can squeeze more money out of them than the Dean's Merit Award? WUSTL with promises of cash is quite tempting, but I do love California...

totebags

Postby totebags » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:37 am

My status checker now reads "Evaluation in Progress." I swear it said "Awaiting Evaluation" when I got home from work at 6 pm PST. Maybe I'm going crazy... they can't be working this late. Or maybe there is some nightly automatic update.

jameschae

Postby jameschae » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:49 am

To Yo!: I also did my ug at a foreign school. I noticed that you mentioned that your gpa conversion was a "B+". Where did you find that?? My foreign evaluation only lists my gpa then a conversion grades that says "above average".

TWoodWil

Postby TWoodWil » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:52 am

totebags wrote:My status checker now reads "Evaluation in Progress." I swear it said "Awaiting Evaluation" when I got home from work at 6 pm PST. Maybe I'm going crazy... they can't be working this late. Or maybe there is some nightly automatic update.

Exact same here.

Hint: On the status check login page you can see when the last update tick was. So, quite literally, the Current Status updated at 6pm.
Updated Last: 2/1/2010 6:00:22 PM

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:46 am

mine now says awaiting evaluation...

does that mean decision soonish?

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:46 am

Headybrah wrote:mine now says awaiting evaluation...

I was "awaiting evaluation" on Nov 16... still "Evaluation in Progress". Guess it just depends on your definition of "soonish"

biobuslaw

Postby biobuslaw » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:53 am

totebags wrote:My status checker now reads "Evaluation in Progress." I swear it said "Awaiting Evaluation" when I got home from work at 6 pm PST. Maybe I'm going crazy... they can't be working this late. Or maybe there is some nightly automatic update.

Their status checker auto updates in the evening at like 7 pm California time. I had some questions for them early on and they told me that over the phone.

totebags

Postby totebags » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:03 pm

Neelio wrote:

I was "awaiting evaluation" on Nov 16... still "Evaluation in Progress". Guess it just depends on your definition of "soonish"

Awaiting Evaluation comes before Evaluation in Process. I was Awaiting Evaluation for three weeks before my update yesterday.

According to their FAQ:

Q: My file status is "Evaluation in Progress" and it has been at that status for a long time. What does that mean?

A: Evaluation in Progress covers quite a bit of activity in our process. From the time the file is complete, a staff member will check the file for accuracy to make sure that all documents necessary to the evaluation are in the file. This is also the time when the applicant may be requested to provide a Fall transcript or an explanation of an increased LSAT score. The file is then available to move to the Director of Admission or Associate Director for reading. After that level of reading, the file is moved to the Admissions Committee for final evaluation and a final decision. If the Committee cannot make an immediate decision, the file may be held until a decision can be made. (See explanation of 'hold' above.) All of this can take several weeks. The "Evaluation in Progress" status will probably last the longest of any status as ours is a holistic process that requires careful consideration of every application.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:26 pm

totebags wrote:
Neelio wrote:

Awaiting Evaluation comes before Evaluation in Process. I was Awaiting Evaluation for three weeks before my update yesterday.

According to their FAQ:

Q: My file status is "Evaluation in Progress" and it has been at that status for a long time. What does that mean?

A: Evaluation in Progress covers quite a bit of activity in our process. From the time the file is complete, a staff member will check the file for accuracy to make sure that all documents necessary to the evaluation are in the file. This is also the time when the applicant may be requested to provide a Fall transcript or an explanation of an increased LSAT score. The file is then available to move to the Director of Admission or Associate Director for reading. After that level of reading, the file is moved to the Admissions Committee for final evaluation and a final decision. If the Committee cannot make an immediate decision, the file may be held until a decision can be made. (See explanation of 'hold' above.) All of this can take several weeks. The "Evaluation in Progress" status will probably last the longest of any status as ours is a holistic process that requires careful consideration of every application.

Basically Eval in Progress is almost the same as being complete for the vast majority of us. I hope to get a response by april.

totebags

Postby totebags » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:29 pm

Inygma wrote:
totebags wrote:
Neelio wrote:

According to their FAQ:

Basically Eval in Progress is almost the same as being complete for the vast majority of us. I hope to get a response by april.

+1

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:10 pm

I hope it doesn't take that long for most people...my seat deposit is due April 15th! This isn't going to give anyone a whole lot of time to work out scholarship negotiations/WLs etc. The earliest I've heard of is May 1st.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:15 pm

Question: UC Davis is among my top choices at this point, but definitely a reach for me. My personal statement didn't really address why I'm interested in Davis, it was more of a general PS. However, I'm kind of nervous seeing as it's a reach and I think a short "Why Davis" essay could really help me. I don't know if sending one before getting a decision would be wise... I guess it could come off as a LOCI, which doesn't make sense since I haven't been waitlisted. Any opinions on this?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:20 pm

mhd08 wrote:Question: UC Davis is among my top choices at this point, but definitely a reach for me. My personal statement didn't really address why I'm interested in Davis, it was more of a general PS. However, I'm kind of nervous seeing as it's a reach and I think a short "Why Davis" essay could really help me. I don't know if sending one before getting a decision would be wise... I guess it could come off as a LOCI, which doesn't make sense since I haven't been waitlisted. Any opinions on this?

i've tried to read up on this from past forum threads. it seems like the consensus is that it is a bad idea unless you've been complete for around 4 months or more. if you send a why davis essay right away, it might be construed as being too anxious/demanding while also appearing as if you weren't prepared with your original application but sent it anyways.

rufferoo

Postby rufferoo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:14 pm

jameschae wrote:To Yo!: I also did my ug at a foreign school. I noticed that you mentioned that your gpa conversion was a "B+". Where did you find that?? My foreign evaluation only lists my gpa then a conversion grades that says "above average".

i think u might be talking about me who said i got a B+ from conversion.. anyway, it was on teh report itself - 2nd page of it I believe, i'm not sure if the conversion report is the same for every country though...
Last edited by rufferoo on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:15 pm

rufferoo wrote:
jameschae wrote:To Yo!: I also did my ug at a foreign school. I noticed that you mentioned that your gpa conversion was a "B+". Where did you find that?? My foreign evaluation only lists my gpa then a conversion grades that says "above average".

i think u might be talking about me who said i got a B+ from conversion.. anyway, I study in the UK (i'm not sure if they give letter grades for converting other countries' transcripts) and it was on teh report itself - 2nd page of it I believe, it was quite obvious.. so if u cant find yours, then they probably didnt do it for you... cuz i'm pretty sure they have a different conversion system for each country...

i'm pretty scared about my B+ actually... cuz 3.3 is way below Davis's standards :(... and i dont think i actually deserve a 3.3!

hows your lsat?

Mr.Feeny

Postby Mr.Feeny » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:57 pm

question: im doing needaccess right now, and davis isnt on the list of participating schools... but i thought they required this?

totebags

Postby totebags » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:02 pm

Mr.Feeny wrote:question: im doing needaccess right now, and davis isnt on the list of participating schools... but i thought they required this?

They're on the list, but I think they're under "UC Davis" while Hastings and UCLA (right?) are under "University of California." I may be wrong. I don't have that website open at the moment.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”