UC Davis

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AlanShore

Re: UC Davis

Postby AlanShore » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:59 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:
AlanShore wrote:how do you guys feel about possibly working in california after they have declared bankruptcy?

i'd like to move there but i'm a little nervous..

This is retarded. California will eventually make the budget process simpler, but come on. There are more than 30,000,000 people here, including three of the most important urban areas in the nation and the center of the tech industry. California isn't going anywhere. Notwithstanding NYC and DC, it's bascially the center of the world, and will continue to be for quite some time.

If you're going to worry about something, at least make it earthquakes.

this makes me feel better.

i was more talking about job prospects. i heard from a 1L at hastings that the government has implemented a hiring freeze which makes all firm jobs more competitive. obviously it is tough everywhere but id rather not move to a place that was even more competitive because of the state's economy.

i wouldnt exactly say my feelings are retarded..

Govt. hiring is down in a down economy, there's no getting around that, but that will change. CA fluctuates like any other place. This last year was bad, but it's far from a huge deal in the long run. It might even be beneficial if it sparks some momentum to overturn Prop 13, but that's another thread.

Besides, this is TLS. What are you talking about govt. jobs for? 100% of TLS posters are sure they will be top-10% and making $160,000. :D

that makes sense. well thats good. id love to move to cali. i got into hastings and now waiting for davis.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:19 pm

Hastings is a great choice too, but I (insanely biased opinion forthcoming) would also wait for/prefer Davis. If you want to live and work in CA, I'd pick either UCH or UCD (job prospects are basically identical out of either) over any of the other schools you're applying to (except Berkeley obviously, but since you put "lol" after that listing, I'm guessing it's your reach)

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:48 pm

Nooooo, got home from dinner and saw mega activity in this thread, thought we had some acceptances...

Should I even check the status checker?

My heart says no, but my OCD says yes!

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:50 pm

Inygma wrote:Nooooo, got home from dinner and saw mega activity in this thread, thought we had some acceptances...

Woah we got an acceptance on LSN, not shocking 169/3.86

K's Logic

Postby K's Logic » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:15 am

Inygma wrote:
Inygma wrote:Nooooo, got home from dinner and saw mega activity in this thread, thought we had some acceptances...

I just looked at my status checker and I am in too!

Very similar numbers to the above - went complete in late Oct / early Nov.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:29 am

K's Logic wrote:
Inygma wrote:

Congrats! Hopefully it means next week we will see a lot of action

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:32 am

Davis seems to think they are UCLA this cycle.

superflush

Postby superflush » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:28 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:This is retarded. California will eventually make the budget process simpler, but come on. There are more than 30,000,000 people here, including three of the most important urban areas in the nation and the center of the tech industry. California isn't going anywhere. Notwithstanding NYC and DC, it's bascially the center of the world, and will continue to be for quite some time.

If you're going to worry about something, at least make it earthquakes.

I'd have to argue against the claim that California is the center of the world ... (but you did basically recognize that the East Coast is)

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:54 am

K's Logic wrote:
Inygma wrote:

congrats! when did you go "under evaluation"?

Xizenta

Postby Xizenta » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:05 pm

I have a feeling this school wont get back to me for months..

World B. Free

Postby World B. Free » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:06 pm

Me too... I'm in it for the loooong haul!

K's Logic

Postby K's Logic » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:50 pm

AlanShore wrote:
K's Logic wrote:
Inygma wrote:

congrats! when did you go "under evaluation"?

Not sure of the exact date, but I definitely went under evaluation soon after applying..i.e. early November.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:43 pm

2 Questions:

1. What day is ASD for Davis for those of you who were accepted?
2. Where is Veritas? :lol:

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:30 pm

those of you that have already been accepted at Davis previously,

did you worry that your Davis decision wouldn't come in until after your first deposits were due at other schools?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Borhas wrote:those of you that have already been accepted at Davis previously,

did you worry that your Davis decision wouldn't come in until after your first deposits were due at other schools?

i haven't been accepted and this is my first and probably only cycle, but yes i am worried about this as well. Davis seems so slow but for those who have Davis as one of the top choices.... it is a real dilemma.

they should really speed things up to at least match the speed of hastings at the very least.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:06 pm

Any movement for anyone today?

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:08 pm

whos slower cornell or davis?

FuzzyKiwi

Postby FuzzyKiwi » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:06 pm

I applied last year with a 25th percentile GPA and 50th percentile LSAT and was admitted mid-April, past the first seat deposit deadline at one school and giving me two weeks to decide at two other schools.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:07 pm

FuzzyKiwi wrote:

I applied last year with a 25th percentile GPA and 50th percentile LSAT and was admitted mid-April, past the first seat deposit deadline at one school and giving me two weeks to decide at two other schools.

when did you apply?

davis3l

Postby davis3l » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:33 am

It doesn't really matter how long they take to admit people. I think it's pretty much a 0L myth that a school's ranking could suffer/improve based on how long they take to make admissions decisions. No rational person would choose a school over another just because they got admitted a few weeks earlier. Everyone who gets admitted (except waitlist admits) will have plenty of time to make a decision on whether to attend Davis.

With that said, I understand this is a stressful time for everyone. The best thing you can do right now is do TONS of research on every school you're considering, so that when it's crunch time, you can make the right decision. Research includes asking me questions...

--LinkRemoved--

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:35 am

Inygma wrote:Any movement for anyone today?

I went into evaluation today. Complete around 12/1.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:29 am

davis3l wrote:It doesn't really matter how long they take to admit people. I think it's pretty much a 0L myth that a school's ranking could suffer/improve based on how long they take to make admissions decisions. No rational person would choose a school over another just because they got admitted a few weeks earlier. Everyone who gets admitted (except waitlist admits) will have plenty of time to make a decision on whether to attend Davis.

With that said, I understand this is a stressful time for everyone. The best thing you can do right now is do TONS of research on every school you're considering, so that when it's crunch time, you can make the right decision. Research includes asking me questions...

--LinkRemoved--

Late admission wouldn't be a problem if you didn't have to put seat deposits down. One scenario would pose a problem. Lets say I get into a few lower ranked schools and rejected from all others except Davis, which I have yet to hear from. Seat deposit for my choices at a T2 are tomorrow, I'd basically be forced to put down a non-refundable deposit that I will lose if I do get accepted to Davis.

Well hopefully that doesn't happen to anyone, but anyway I love Davis so hurry up and accept me!!!

FuzzyKiwi

Postby FuzzyKiwi » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:34 pm

finalaspects wrote:
FuzzyKiwi wrote:

when did you apply?

Late December

Postby 20160810 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:36 pm

This is a real (and really frustrating) problem that I ran into last year. I was about a week from when my deposit at BU was due, and I finally got frustrated enough that I called the UCD office of admissions and explained the situation to them. They assured me that there was some kind of software snafu that was making things take "a little longer than normal" and that I'd get the news in due course. Whether related to that call or not I'll never know, but I got my acceptance via status checker the next day.

All I can say is that they sure don't make the wait easy on you guys, but it is worth the wait. :mrgreen:

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:37 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:

This is a real (and really frustrating) problem that I ran into last year. I was about a week from when my deposit at BU was due, and I finally got frustrated enough that I called the UCD office of admissions and explained the situation to them. They assured me that there was some kind of software snafu that was making things take "a little longer than normal" and that I'd get the news in due course. Whether related to that call or not I'll never know, but I got my acceptance via status checker the next day.

All I can say is that they sure don't make the wait easy on you guys, but it is worth the wait. :mrgreen:

thanks for the bump :|

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”