UC Davis

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Borhas

Re: UC Davis

Postby Borhas » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:33 pm

I've been getting "evaluated" for about 3 months now

matrix637

Postby matrix637 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:36 pm

Borhas wrote:I've been getting "evaluated" for about 3 months now

Well boy they are really evaluating you. I think one of the 1Ls came back late from the holidays and havnt had the chance to review your application yet. Aside from him I think just about everybody else in the school has :lol:

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:30 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:I don't like San Diego. I grew up there and have the "been there, done that, I'm tired of the weather" thing going on. Aside from family, some practicing law, which could be helpful for networking, the fact that it seems to be a unique market may be a draw.

And I don't know that ANY USC/UCLA/etc, etc, etc student would beat out a USD student. If you are doing summer internships and creating relationships with the firms, I'm sure you are a strong, if not stronger, contender than someone without those ties. Maybe I'm off, but I think the regional schools seem to do well because of those potential relationships.

1. Oh, yea, the weather is really rough in SD.

2. I disagree strongly. A UCLA student would walk right in front of a USD student.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:36 pm

superflush wrote:1. Oh, yea, the weather is really rough in SD.

2. I disagree strongly. A UCLA student would walk right in front of a USD student.

Well, I grew up there, and since graduating high school, I've lived in the Bay Area (Sonoma, then Palo Alto, and now San Francisco). I much prefer the weather here. I got SO tired of the same weather all of the time in SD. Just a personal preference.

Secondly, I guess all things equal, of course. However, and this is a lay assumption, the relationships and alumni network fostered by the geographic location of USD should give them a leg-up. I would hope that it would at least give a USD student with a good/top of the class standing, and internships with the firm(s) a fighting chance.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:32 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
superflush wrote:1. Oh, yea, the weather is really rough in SD.

Well, I grew up there, and since graduating high school, I've lived in the Bay Area (Sonoma, then Palo Alto, and now San Francisco). I much prefer the weather here. I got SO tired of the same weather all of the time in SD. Just a personal preference.

Secondly, I guess all things equal, of course. However, and this is a lay assumption, the relationships and alumni network fostered by the geographic location of USD should give them a leg-up. I would hope that it would at least give a USD student with a good/top of the class standing, and internships with the firm(s) a fighting chance.

USD is definately a great regional schools, but you have to do a lot better than someone who rolls in from UCLA/USC

Postby 20160810 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:47 pm

I am too lazy to read this thread, but is anyone coming to join me next year?

The weather is epic fail this week, btw.

DoctorNick189

Postby DoctorNick189 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:53 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:I am too lazy to read this thread, but is anyone coming to join me next year?

As of right now...probably.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:04 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:I am too lazy to read this thread, but is anyone coming to join me next year?

there are only 3 acceptances so far.... :?

Postby 20160810 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:06 pm

Veritas wrote:

OIC

Don't get too discouraged. I went complete in November and didn't hear until the end of March. I thought they were going to WL me or some shit and was all ready to go to BU, and then they did the right thing. That's the downside of UCD: Sometimes shit just takes a while. It's still a pretty sweet place though.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:54 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
Veritas wrote:

OIC

Don't get too discouraged. I went complete in November and didn't hear until the end of March. I thought they were going to WL me or some shit and was all ready to go to BU, and then they did the right thing. That's the downside of UCD: Sometimes shit just takes a while. It's still a pretty sweet place though.

SBL is lonely, drinks on him on ASD right Veritas :lol:

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:59 pm

:D sounds good to me!

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:02 pm

How do you know you will be there next year, and not somewhere like Harvard? :wink:

Any grades back yet?

Postby 20160810 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:55 am

If you guys do hit up the ASD, feel free to PM me. We can meet at Burgers and Brew. Cool place in Downtown Davis, with the best burgers in town.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:59 am

OMG... I was thinking of asking you if you ever eat there lol. I've visited Davis a couple times and ended up eating there twice, pretty good stuff.

DoctorNick189

Postby DoctorNick189 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:05 am

When is ASD?

DoctorNick189

Postby DoctorNick189 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:08 am

Oh, and SBL, I will likely PM you in the coming months to ask you an obnoxious number of questions.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:23 am

DoctorNick189 wrote:Oh, and SBL, I will likely PM you in the coming months to ask you an obnoxious number of questions.

Or put them in the Davis 1Ls taking questions thread and have them answered by a slew of people, many of whom are far wiser than I. :D

FuzzyKiwi

Postby FuzzyKiwi » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:42 pm

superflush wrote:
I think I'd agree with Veritas on this one. But I wouldn't say always take sticker at Davis over a T2. I just probably would take it over LLS. But I don't like LA ... and I really would like to be on a real campus. Never been to LLS, but I don't think it is much of a campus, is it?

This is a belated response, but LLS does have a "real campus" - they're pretty proud of it, it was designed by Frank Gehry and has a hyper-contemporary feel. It's also walled in with security owing to its downtown location.

Not my thing, but I'm sure it cost them a lot of money.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:14 pm

FuzzyKiwi wrote:
superflush wrote:
I think I'd agree with Veritas on this one. But I wouldn't say always take sticker at Davis over a T2. I just probably would take it over LLS. But I don't like LA ... and I really would like to be on a real campus. Never been to LLS, but I don't think it is much of a campus, is it?

This is a belated response, but LLS does have a "real campus" - they're pretty proud of it, it was designed by Frank Gehry and has a hyper-contemporary feel. It's also walled in with security owing to its downtown location.

I could never imagine going to LLS, not sure why, but it doesn't float my boat.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:18 pm

Inygma wrote:
FuzzyKiwi wrote:
superflush wrote:

I could never imagine going to LLS, not sure why, but it doesn't float my boat.

It's really expensive and downtown LA sucks tons of ass, for one. Good choice if you got a big scholarship though.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:39 pm

how do you guys feel about possibly working in california after they have declared bankruptcy?

i'd like to move there but i'm a little nervous..

Postby 20160810 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:50 pm

AlanShore wrote:how do you guys feel about possibly working in california after they have declared bankruptcy?

This is retarded. California will eventually make the budget process simpler, but come on. There are more than 30,000,000 people here, including three of the most important urban areas in the nation and the center of the tech industry. California isn't going anywhere. Notwithstanding NYC and DC, it's bascially the center of the world, and will continue to be for quite some time.

If you're going to worry about something, at least make it earthquakes.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:51 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
AlanShore wrote:how do you guys feel about possibly working in california after they have declared bankruptcy?

This is retarded. California will eventually make the budget process simpler, but come on. There are more than 30,000,000 people here, including three of the most important urban areas in the nation and the center of the tech industry. California isn't going anywhere. Notwithstanding NYC and DC, it's bascially the center of the world, and will continue to be for quite some time.

<3 especially the bold

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:54 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:

this makes me feel better.

i was more talking about job prospects. i heard from a 1L at hastings that the government has implemented a hiring freeze which makes all firm jobs more competitive. obviously it is tough everywhere but id rather not move to a place that was even more competitive because of the state's economy.

i wouldnt exactly say my feelings are retarded..

Postby 20160810 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:57 pm

AlanShore wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:

this makes me feel better.

i was more talking about job prospects. i heard from a 1L at hastings that the government has implemented a hiring freeze which makes all firm jobs more competitive. obviously it is tough everywhere but id rather not move to a place that was even more competitive because of the state's economy.

i wouldnt exactly say my feelings are retarded..

Govt. hiring is down in a down economy, there's no getting around that, but that will change. CA fluctuates like any other place. This last year was bad, but it's far from a huge deal in the long run. It might even be beneficial if it sparks some momentum to overturn Prop 13, but that's another thread.

Besides, this is TLS. What are you talking about govt. jobs for? 100% of TLS posters are sure they will be top-10% and making $160,000. :D

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”