UC Davis Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zeth006

Silver

Re: UC Davis

Post by zeth006 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:08 pm

:shock:

Looks like it's soon time to emotionally brace myself for the worst and look into apartment-hunting starting June. It's been a pleasure hanging with you guys.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Thu May 20, 2010 10:59 am

any more people left still in review?

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Fri May 21, 2010 1:03 pm

Just spoke with the Financial Aid office. Looks like they don't give out scholarships/grants to international students and I would have to finance my studies there exclusively with loans.

In light of this, I will most likely be withdrawing. Would love to stay in Cali and UC Davis seems to be a great school on the rise, but it just doesn't make sense for me financially.

Looks like it's St. Louis or reapply next cycle for me...

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Fri May 21, 2010 6:53 pm

jman77 wrote:Just spoke with the Financial Aid office. Looks like they don't give out scholarships/grants to international students and I would have to finance my studies there exclusively with loans.

In light of this, I will most likely be withdrawing. Would love to stay in Cali and UC Davis seems to be a great school on the rise, but it just doesn't make sense for me financially.

Looks like it's St. Louis or reapply next cycle for me...
Were you already admitted? If so, it's a real shame. Wish you best of luck wherever you go.

hellolen

New

Post by hellolen » Mon May 24, 2010 6:28 pm

its quiet, looks like a bunch of people got their decisions. time to send an loci! =)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:57 pm

hellolen wrote:its quiet, looks like a bunch of people got their decisions. time to send an loci! =)
E-mail or snail mail?

hellolen

New

Post by hellolen » Tue May 25, 2010 12:34 pm

i sent it by email via pdf. DO NOT send via snail mail. They don't have a system of keeping count of those. They strongly urge to send it via pdf. The admissions office will also send you an email back saying that they received it and will put it in your electronic file. It was quick. Less than half an hour later I received a confirmation =)

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Tue May 25, 2010 12:45 pm

yes, send it in email only.

im hoping davis with their new high ranking will try to raise their 75% LSAT this year from 165 to 166/167.... probably my only shot at getting in.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:58 pm

finalaspects wrote:yes, send it in email only.

im hoping davis with their new high ranking will try to raise their 75% LSAT this year from 165 to 166/167.... probably my only shot at getting in.
Got it. That would explain a lot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lateforthesky16

Bronze

Post by lateforthesky16 » Mon May 31, 2010 9:11 pm

Hey everyone,

quick question regarding financial aid. I plan to attend Davis, but I'm going to wait right up to the second deposit to see if I get into any of the schools I'm waitlisted at. I'm a little confused though about when I should get the ball rolling on all the financial aid stuff (loans, etc). On the "My awards" site, my financial aid info looks like this:

Fed Direct PLUS loan-GD: Offered
Federal Direct Loan Sub-NH: Offered
Federal Direct Loan Unsub-NH: Offered
Law School Grant-LW: Accepted

Now, I haven't "accepted" anything yet so I'm assuming that just means the grant is there for me if I decide to attend. Right? What about the other loans? Any idea at what point it's too late to take action on those? Basically, I'd like to wait as long as I can on my waitlists without taking out loans, etc., for Davis, but if I don't get into my waitlist schools i'll for sure be attending Davis. I'd like to wait until after June 15th to take action on my Davis loans, because I should have a better idea of my waitlist statuses by then. I see the deadline of "July 15th" for submitting all materials, which is cool...but I'm curious when all of you will be filling out your loans and financial aid; I don't want to get too far behind! Thanks very much for any advice or thoughts :)

legendmaking

New

Post by legendmaking » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:52 pm

I'm also curious as to when people start filling out the loan applications and how the process works.

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:12 am

+2

I don't really know how the loan stuff works, so I'll probably just call the fin aid office after I pay my second deposit. PS: If you are attending Davis, post it up on the TLS class of 2013 page. Davis is severely under-represented on there! :)

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:11 pm

any movement on the waitlist? or are they waiting until the 15th (deposit deadline)?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sparclette

New

Post by sparclette » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:39 pm

Waitlisted.... ugh.... :( :( :( PS HAPPY to be waitlisted, the 'ugh' is because I want to go there soooooooooooooo badly.

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:01 am

Hello to admits. Just got the offer Thursday evening (it turns out Dean Pinkney is all the way on the other side of the world, in case any of you have received an email from her at 10:00 pm).

Anyway, very happy to be on board. Does anybody know if I can expect to find out my aid package before putting down my seat deposit money? I'd like to know how my grants shake out before putting down $750.

primusux

Bronze

Post by primusux » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:44 am

tommytahoe wrote:Hello to admits. Just got the offer Thursday evening (it turns out Dean Pinkney is all the way on the other side of the world, in case any of you have received an email from her at 10:00 pm).

Anyway, very happy to be on board. Does anybody know if I can expect to find out my aid package before putting down my seat deposit money? I'd like to know how my grants shake out before putting down $750.

Log in to the admitted student page and view your financial aid awards in the My Award section. Instructions on how to set up the account are on the site. :)

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:30 am

primusux wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:Hello to admits. Just got the offer Thursday evening (it turns out Dean Pinkney is all the way on the other side of the world, in case any of you have received an email from her at 10:00 pm).

Log in to the admitted student page and view your financial aid awards in the My Award section. Instructions on how to set up the account are on the site. :)
Thanks! I imagine it may take them a few days, maybe ? (the secretary said that the director of financial aid was not in the office until Monday).
Or did they calculate my aid package prior to my being offered admission?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

primusux

Bronze

Post by primusux » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:34 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
primusux wrote:

Thanks! I imagine it may take them a few days, maybe ? (the secretary said that the director of financial aid was not in the office until Monday).
I bet it's already in there. Any time a change was made to mine it was pretty quick that it was updated. Where did the dean say she was?

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:46 pm

primusux wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
primusux wrote:

I bet it's already in there. Any time a change was made to mine it was pretty quick that it was updated. Where did the dean say she was?
Well, looks like I may have screwed up. Somehow, UC Davis Law "My Awards" says they never received my FAFSA, and i am now thinking that I messed up somehow when I was editing and re-adding schools to my FAFSA report. That is, UCD is not on the new list (well, now I've added it!), so when adding new schools maybe I forgot Davis or deleted it before they received the SAR. This was all done in February!
At any rate, I'm hoping they can evaluate my FAFSA on the fly this Mon-Wed, because I need to put down the deposit by Thursday.
I'm glad they use the Need Access, however, so they have that on file.
But does anybody know if my need-based grants can be affected by this FAFSA screw-up? I know I'm late to be admitted, but my need has never changed, and my being admitted in June was something outside of my control. I would like to think that b/c I am 37, $1500 in the bank and sparse income while in undergrad the past 3 years, and with $10,000 in undergrad debt, that that would allow me to receive on the high end of grants.
Thanks if you have any insights into this.

EDIT: The Asst. Director of Fin. Aid was in the office on Friday, and the Director was returning Monday, the secretary said. I'm hoping I get one of them on the phone Monday, as busy as I'm sure they are.

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:03 pm

wait. you got admitted off the waitlist on Thursday?

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:08 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:

Yes. Why?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:16 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:

Yes. Why?
GAHHHH soo lucky! I hope I get off. Stats? PM if ya want

sparclette

New

Post by sparclette » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:21 pm

yahhhhhhhhhhhh tell us or pm me too :)

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:32 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:

Yes. Why?
GAHHHH soo lucky! I hope I get off. Stats? PM if ya want
Oh, thanks! I had gotten so used to being on a million waitlists forever, that a 9:30 pm email was a total surprise. Hang in there!

My numbers should be on my profile: 163/3.83. But the first LSAT was 159, plus I had a criminal arrest from 2003 that i turned into a story in my PS. That last part I am sure helped me with some schools, hindered me at others. Bottom line: it's hard to use my numbers as predictive of really anything except reverse splitter + extra stuff.

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:36 pm

Last edited by PunjabiLower on Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”