UC Davis

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby superflush » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:15 am

sunnygirl wrote:
Inygma wrote:She told me it takes a while because 5 people review it, 2 admissions, 2 professors, and one 3L student. You need a unanimous vote to be accepted.


Thank you for your clarification. Unanimous vote? It seems difficult for me to get that.


yea, wow.

Neelio
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:21 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby Neelio » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:41 pm

any idea when decisions will start rolling out at Davis?

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby finalaspects » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:44 pm

Neelio wrote:any idea when decisions will start rolling out at Davis?


No one really knows... but i figure it will be very soon... at least one person was accepted on LSN, but this person had auto-accept numbers. By March they should be coming out it in mass though, since Davis in itself is very slow compared to other schools.

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Inygma » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:07 pm

superflush wrote:
sunnygirl wrote:
Inygma wrote:She told me it takes a while because 5 people review it, 2 admissions, 2 professors, and one 3L student. You need a unanimous vote to be accepted.


Thank you for your clarification. Unanimous vote? It seems difficult for me to get that.


yea, wow.


Though this is what I was told, looking in the catalog for Davis shows that it is very much still a numbers game (shocking). They have a chart towards the end of the catalog (found on their website) that breaks down people who applied into brackets by GPA/LSAT ranges. The bracket I am in, I think it was 3.74-3.5 GPA and 162-167 LSAT had about 231 applicants and about 207 were offered admissions. The higher you go from those, the percentage offered admission is higher per applicant pool.

The thing that sucks about being grouped into the 162-167 category is that I am towards the lower end, and it is hard to say my standing based on numbers alone.

Edit: Link for the lazy... http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/993 ... 934917d/40

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Veritas » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:13 pm

167/172 for me. Hopefully I'm not one of those 5 :shock:

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Inygma » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:15 pm

Veritas wrote:167/172 for me. Hopefully I'm not one of those 5 :shock:


Ya some are shocking... the one person rejected with a 3.5-3.74 and a 174+. I wonder if that is just yield protect?

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Veritas » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:20 pm

Inygma wrote:
Veritas wrote:167/172 for me. Hopefully I'm not one of those 5 :shock:


Ya some are shocking... the one person rejected with a 3.5-3.74 and a 174+. I wonder if that is just yield protect?

But then all in the highest category were accepted. They might have had something glaring on their application, I suppose.

Are you pretty set on staying in CA?

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Inygma » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:21 pm

Veritas wrote:
Inygma wrote:
Veritas wrote:167/172 for me. Hopefully I'm not one of those 5 :shock:


Ya some are shocking... the one person rejected with a 3.5-3.74 and a 174+. I wonder if that is just yield protect?

But then all in the highest category were accepted. They might have had something glaring on their application, I suppose.

Are you pretty set on staying in CA?



Fully. I only applied in Cali, LA/SC/Davis/Hastings/San Diego

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Veritas » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:22 pm

Inygma wrote:
Veritas wrote:
Inygma wrote:
Veritas wrote:167/172 for me. Hopefully I'm not one of those 5 :shock:


Ya some are shocking... the one person rejected with a 3.5-3.74 and a 174+. I wonder if that is just yield protect?

But then all in the highest category were accepted. They might have had something glaring on their application, I suppose.

Are you pretty set on staying in CA?



Fully. I only applied in Cali, LA/SC/Davis/Hastings/San Diego

sometimes I think I should have done that.

Must be killing you how long these schools are taking. Where are you realistically seeing yourself? Why no LLS?

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby finalaspects » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:23 pm

hmm i'm in 18/13 category... thats not good. not a lot of people are in my category and watch like 12 of those 13 were URMs...

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Inygma » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:26 pm

Inygma wrote:
Veritas wrote:
Inygma wrote:
Veritas wrote:Ya some are shocking... the one person rejected with a 3.5-3.74 and a 174+. I wonder if that is just yield protect?

But then all in the highest category were accepted. They might have had something glaring on their application, I suppose.

Are you pretty set on staying in CA?



Fully. I only applied in Cali, LA/SC/Davis/Hastings/San Diego

sometimes I think I should have done that.

Must be killing you how long these schools are taking. Where are you realistically seeing yourself? Why no LLS?


Ya, it is taking forever, I even ADD checked my status checkers every day during break, knowing quite well that they were all on vacation :? . Luckily San Diego let us know right away, so I know I have a home somewhere.

I realistically see myself at Davis or San Diego. UCLA dinged me and USC seems to have an invisible wall at 164/165 LSAT. I really don't want to go to Hastings, CoL is too high and the area is sketch.


Davis vs. San Diego will be tough depending on the scholly from San Diego. If the amount is high and it is unconditional, or pretty easy to maintain (median) then I will highly consider San Diego. If not, and I get accepted at Davis, I would have little regret attending Davis at sticker.

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby finalaspects » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:30 pm

Inygma wrote:\

Ya, it is taking forever, I even ADD checked my status checkers every day during break, knowing quite well that they were all on vacation :? . Luckily San Diego let us know right away, so I know I have a home somewhere.

I realistically see myself at Davis or San Diego. UCLA dinged me and USC seems to have an invisible wall at 164/165 LSAT. I really don't want to go to Hastings, CoL is too high and the area is sketch.


No Irvine? I got rejected at UCLA as well... but im in the opposite spectrum with USC. I have a 168 LSAT... but a 3.1 gpa and they definitely have an invisible wall at around 3.4-3.5.... California loves GPA so i think i have it worse than you.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Veritas » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:32 pm

we're pretty much the same here.

I go back and forth on whether I want CA or want to try out of state. But for CA I see it like this:

WL/Out at USC/UCLA/UCB
Don't really like Hastings
Will take USD over LLS
Prefer Davis over USD, but money is important and Davis is expensive now
Irvine is a crap shoot but could make things interesting

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Inygma » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:33 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Inygma wrote:\

Ya, it is taking forever, I even ADD checked my status checkers every day during break, knowing quite well that they were all on vacation :? . Luckily San Diego let us know right away, so I know I have a home somewhere.

I realistically see myself at Davis or San Diego. UCLA dinged me and USC seems to have an invisible wall at 164/165 LSAT. I really don't want to go to Hastings, CoL is too high and the area is sketch.


No Irvine? I got rejected at UCLA as well... but im in the opposite spectrum with USC. I have a 168 LSAT... but a 3.1 gpa and they definitely have an invisible wall at around 3.3-3.4.... California loves GPA so i think i have it worse than you.


I want to apply at Irvine (at first I didn't), but it looks like it is beyond my reach and I only have 2 LoR, not 3.

Irvine mentioned somewhere that they will continue to keep small class sizes with people with high numbers, to establish rank I am sure. They are estimated to be ranked above both Hastings/Davis. Plus guarenteed 1/2 tuition for the 3 years is going to attract people ITE just as full tuition did last year.

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby finalaspects » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:35 pm

Veritas wrote:we're pretty much the same here.

I go back and forth on whether I want CA or want to try out of state. But for CA I see it like this:

WL/Out at USC/UCLA/UCB
Don't really like Hastings
Will take USD over LLS
Prefer Davis over USD, but money is important and Davis is expensive now
Irvine is a crap shoot but could make things interesting


what are your numbers veritas? if you don't want to post them, can you pm me? WL at USC,UCLA,UCB must mean that you have pretty good stats...

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Veritas » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:38 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Veritas wrote:we're pretty much the same here.

I go back and forth on whether I want CA or want to try out of state. But for CA I see it like this:

WL/Out at USC/UCLA/UCB
Don't really like Hastings
Will take USD over LLS
Prefer Davis over USD, but money is important and Davis is expensive now
Irvine is a crap shoot but could make things interesting


what are your numbers veritas? if you don't want to post them, can you pm me? WL at USC,UCLA,UCB must mean that you have pretty good stats...

Oh I was saying either WL or Out at those, most likely the latter, haha. 165/3.82

But I think I made the first round of WLs and Dings from UCLA RD

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby finalaspects » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:38 pm

Inygma wrote:I want to apply at Irvine (at first I didn't), but it looks like it is beyond my reach and I only have 2 LoR, not 3.

Irvine mentioned somewhere that they will continue to keep small class sizes with people with high numbers, to establish rank I am sure. They are estimated to be ranked above both Hastings/Davis. Plus guarenteed 1/2 tuition for the 3 years is going to attract people ITE just as full tuition did last year.


get another LOR!

If you are above their median in either the GPA or LSAT, you still have a good shot, esp since we know will try their asses off to sustain their median. Median for Irvine: LSAT 167 and GPA 3.61

Many of the high numbers that applied the first year had a full tuition. Those guys won't have as much interest with half tuition. They are set to increase class size from 60 to 80 this year. If you are near their median in any way GO FOR IT!

Honestly i think they'll have a difficult time trying to keep their median with 1/2 tuition so we'll see what happens... but i believe they'll still offer full tuition to a select few..
Last edited by finalaspects on Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby finalaspects » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:40 pm

Veritas wrote:Oh I was saying either WL or Out at those, most likely the latter, haha. 165/3.82

But I think I made the first round of WLs and Dings from UCLA RD


did you apply to irvine? 3.82 is way above their 3.61 median, and 165 isn't far from their 167 median...

although they're not ranked... not accredited... and have no reputation in law firms...

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Veritas » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:40 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Veritas wrote:Oh I was saying either WL or Out at those, most likely the latter, haha. 165/3.82

But I think I made the first round of WLs and Dings from UCLA RD


did you apply to irvine? 3.82 is way above their 3.61 median, and 165 isn't far from their 167 median...

although they're not ranked... not accredited... and have no reputation in law firms...

I did apply. I just really don't like the OC. :lol: But Irvine would be a very cool experience, I think.

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Inygma » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:44 pm

Veritas wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Veritas wrote:Oh I was saying either WL or Out at those, most likely the latter, haha. 165/3.82

But I think I made the first round of WLs and Dings from UCLA RD


did you apply to irvine? 3.82 is way above their 3.61 median, and 165 isn't far from their 167 median...

although they're not ranked... not accredited... and have no reputation in law firms...

I did apply. I just really don't like the OC. :lol: But Irvine would be a very cool experience, I think.


Irvine is really cool. I live about 10 minutes away from there.

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Inygma » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:45 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Inygma wrote:I want to apply at Irvine (at first I didn't), but it looks like it is beyond my reach and I only have 2 LoR, not 3.

Irvine mentioned somewhere that they will continue to keep small class sizes with people with high numbers, to establish rank I am sure. They are estimated to be ranked above both Hastings/Davis. Plus guarenteed 1/2 tuition for the 3 years is going to attract people ITE just as full tuition did last year.


get another LOR!

If you are above their median in either the GPA or LSAT, you still have a good shot, esp since we know will try their asses off to sustain their median. Median for Irvine: LSAT 167 and GPA 3.61

Many of the high numbers that applied the first year had a full tuition. Those guys won't have as much interest with half tuition. They are set to increase class size from 60 to 80 this year. If you are near their median in any way GO FOR IT!

Honestly i think they'll have a difficult time trying to keep their median with 1/2 tuition so we'll see what happens... but i believe they'll still offer full tuition to a select few..


I am a 3.71/163.

I doubt I have a shot, but maybe I should try.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Veritas » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:47 pm

I visited Irvine for UG, I was really close to attending. The campus was great, and the facilities at the law school look really nice. Really expensive cost of living, and I would need a car (to escape from the OC)

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby finalaspects » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:50 pm

Inygma wrote:I am a 3.71/163.

I doubt I have a shot, but maybe I should try.


There is no application fee for Irvine. Just the $12 report fee for LSAC. nothing to lose.

Although higher GPA's are easier to get, since there can be an unlimited amount of people with 3.61 GPA and higher, while LSAT's are limited. (5% of LSAT takers have 167 or higher i think, and they have to fight with the t25-30 schools to get them) It is still definitely worth a shot.

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Inygma » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:51 pm

Veritas wrote:I visited Irvine for UG, I was really close to attending. The campus was great, and the facilities at the law school look really nice. Really expensive cost of living, and I would need a car (to escape from the OC)


Haha, why so much OC hate? I love the OC.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Veritas » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:55 pm

Inygma wrote:
Veritas wrote:I visited Irvine for UG, I was really close to attending. The campus was great, and the facilities at the law school look really nice. Really expensive cost of living, and I would need a car (to escape from the OC)


Haha, why so much OC hate? I love the OC.

I'm not sure. I really do like the Irvine campus. I'm a little jaded from driving the 5 to the 405 through Irvine. It's just so blah. I should admit that I haven't explored the coastal OC too much :oops: . I feel like that's where I'll find the charm. Coming from SD, Irvine is just a bathroom break on the way to Disneyland.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests