UC Davis

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mosca
Posts: 251
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:10 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby Mosca » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:23 pm

Inygma wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Mosca wrote:What are the chances that some Davis acceptances roll out today?


maybe next week. but the overall delay by most law schools because of the increased amount of applicants may lag it another week.


Unfortunately it is looking like we wont be hearing till January.

I still have hope for Monday or Tuesday

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby chrisokc » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:40 pm

I read that Hastings and Davis are going to be $50k+ for tuition soon...

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Inygma » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:59 pm

chrisokc wrote:I read that Hastings and Davis are going to be $50k+ for tuition soon...


Old news, but true.

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby finalaspects » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:51 pm

chrisokc wrote:I read that Hastings and Davis are going to be $50k+ for tuition soon...


only if you're out of state...

40k+ for in state

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Inygma » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:25 pm

finalaspects wrote:
chrisokc wrote:I read that Hastings and Davis are going to be $50k+ for tuition soon...


only if you're out of state...

40k+ for in state


Instate will be $50k around 2012 if the increases continue, they forecast $5k a year every year after this initial 30% increase.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby chrisokc » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:24 pm

Inygma wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
chrisokc wrote:I read that Hastings and Davis are going to be $50k+ for tuition soon...


only if you're out of state...

40k+ for in state


Instate will be $50k around 2012 if the increases continue, they forecast $5k a year every year after this initial 30% increase.

Not good.

User avatar
uganik
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:40 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby uganik » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:18 pm

:shock:


This-


TOTALLY SUCKS!!! :(

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Inygma » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:51 pm

In Davis!!!

(Wish I could say "In at Davis")

So coming from born/raised in Los Angeles area, the size of Davis is shocking. Of course I knew it was a small town, but seeing it is another story. This isn't a bad thing. I love the quietness of the area. I drove down to downtown and ate at a place called "The Davis Graduate." This place had good food/alcohol and was pretty busy since the football games were on. Anyways, everyone seemed to be pretty cool and there were many cases of opposing fans sitting at the same table to watch the games (Table of Packers/Steelers fans).

Also, driving through downtown there seemed to be a lot of interesting places to check, although not necessarily on a Sunday night. The drive from Sacramento was fairly short and not very trafficy. I would like to know how bad traffic gets from Davis->Sacramento, as my SO will probably be working there (she's a fashion major and there doesn't seem to be many options in Davis for that field).

Anyway, off to see the campus tomorrow after it stops raining, pretty excited.

Neelio
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:21 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby Neelio » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:46 am

so... Davis says they will give some acceptances out in December, but the office should be closing by Wed. Any chances they will have something out either today or tomorrow???

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby finalaspects » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:48 am

Neelio wrote:so... Davis says they will give some acceptances out in December, but the office should be closing by Wed. Any chances they will have something out either today or tomorrow???


i highly doubt it but you never know. plus don't they still have the 28th, 29th, or 30th to make it by december?

are you under evaluation or awaiting evaluation?

Neelio
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:21 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby Neelio » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:49 am

finalaspects wrote:
Neelio wrote:so... Davis says they will give some acceptances out in December, but the office should be closing by Wed. Any chances they will have something out either today or tomorrow???


i highly doubt it but you never know. plus don't they still have the 28th, 29th, or 30th to make it by december?

are you under evaluation or awaiting evaluation?


That's true... I figured their adcomm probably wouldn't be in those 3 days, but who knows. I'm under evaluation and have been for well over a month now.

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby finalaspects » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:51 am

Neelio wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Neelio wrote:so... Davis says they will give some acceptances out in December, but the office should be closing by Wed. Any chances they will have something out either today or tomorrow???


i highly doubt it but you never know. plus don't they still have the 28th, 29th, or 30th to make it by december?

are you under evaluation or awaiting evaluation?


That's true... I figured their adcomm probably wouldn't be in those 3 days, but who knows. I'm under evaluation and have been for well over a month now.


what are your stats? i went complete early Nov... but never went under evaluation! arggg i have a 3.1/168

Neelio
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:21 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby Neelio » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:06 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Neelio wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Neelio wrote:so... Davis says they will give some acceptances out in December, but the office should be closing by Wed. Any chances they will have something out either today or tomorrow???


i highly doubt it but you never know. plus don't they still have the 28th, 29th, or 30th to make it by december?

are you under evaluation or awaiting evaluation?


That's true... I figured their adcomm probably wouldn't be in those 3 days, but who knows. I'm under evaluation and have been for well over a month now.


what are your stats? i went complete early Nov... but never went under evaluation! arggg i have a 3.1/168



3.88/165- so i feel pretty good about it. But who knows. I applied Oct 15... complete Oct 26. So it's been nearly 2 months now! But I've heard they always take a long time... at least I hope.

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby gatorlion » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:17 pm

Um, you'll be fine. UC Davis should be your backup. Most people don't hear until February. Put down the razor.

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby finalaspects » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:30 pm

gatorlion wrote:Um, you'll be fine. UC Davis should be your backup. Most people don't hear until February. Put down the razor.


were you talking to me or neelio?

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby gatorlion » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:01 pm

finalaspects wrote:
gatorlion wrote:Um, you'll be fine. UC Davis should be your backup. Most people don't hear until February. Put down the razor.


were you talking to me or neelio?


Neelio

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby finalaspects » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:10 pm

gatorlion wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
gatorlion wrote:Um, you'll be fine. UC Davis should be your backup. Most people don't hear until February. Put down the razor.


were you talking to me or neelio?


Neelio


does that mean you think a 168/3.1 won't get accepted? :|

User avatar
Faesha
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Faesha » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:10 pm

I've been under evaluation for about two months as well with a 3.47/169. Hoping for some good news for everyone before January!

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby gatorlion » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:13 pm

finalaspects wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
gatorlion wrote:Um, you'll be fine. UC Davis should be your backup. Most people don't hear until February. Put down the razor.


were you talking to me or neelio?


Neelio


does that mean you think a 168/3.1 won't get accepted? :|


No, a 3.88/165 has NOTHING to worry about.

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby finalaspects » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:16 pm

gatorlion wrote:No, a 3.88/165 has NOTHING to worry about.


Yea, but i was wondering if i had something to be worried about since my 3.1 gpa is so damn low. Davis is actually the school i would most likely attend....

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Inygma » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:51 pm

Just got back from visiting the law school.

First thing is... everyone is amazingly friendly. I truly feel a sense of community at Davis. The admissions lady and financial aid lady really knew their stuff. Walking through the school, students, despite being in their last week of finals, offered smiles and hellos while I walked through the hallways. I obviously looked a bit touristy because I was carrying around the catalog and self-tour booklet. Instead of them giving me nasty looks for touring their school during finals, like I said, I was greeted warmly by passer-bys.

The admissions office stressed community, which is easily seen on campus. Like I mentioned before, everyone is very friendly. When we walked into the library, a librarian approached us and answered some questions, introduced herself, and said feel free to ask anything else if we thought of anything.

I didn't talk to any students because I didn't want to intrude, as just about everyone was studying for upcoming tests.

I asked admissions when they would be sending decisions, and they said hopefully this week or next week, but definitely by early January. Because of furlough days, they are having a hard time reviewing in time before the new year. Also, unfortunately, admissions said that there is no estimated time from under review -> decision rendered. Your application is reviewed by 6 people, some adcomms, some professors, and one 3L student. You are accepted after a unanimous vote of accept. Because of this, it can take a while to be fully reviewed. Also, I am guessing if one or two people say no, you are put on a separate pile to be re-reviewed later.

The expansion of the law building is huge, I think it is basically doubling in size, or that is what it seems from glancing at it. The biggest addition that peaked my interest is the full court that is being installed. Not only with this court allow for moot court/other practice for law students, but they will be conducting real cases inside the court. This lets students go and observe first hand, and is located in a convenient place.

The only real negative in my experience is the aesthetic value of the law school. UCDavis is beautiful in general, there is a river running through it, and there is green everywhere, but the law school building reminds me of high school a bit. Other than that, I had an excellent time at the school. I am very eager to get the results from the school, as I believe it is my #1 choice at the moment.

Sorry, my camera was out of batteries, so I was unable to take pictures. If anyone has any other questions, let me know!

Edit: Forgot to add, but all students receive a key to the law school building. This lets students use the library/computer lab/lounge/etc. 24 hours a day. I believe this truly shows the sense of community at this school.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Veritas » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:58 pm

Inygma, thanks so much for that thorough breakdown! Davis sounds awesome and that would be terrific to hear this week, maybe.

No worries about the picture :wink:

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby gatorlion » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:08 am

Thanks for the great recap and good luck!

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: UC Davis

Postby Inygma » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:08 pm

Woah, we have an acceptance to Davis on LSN.

169/3.99 easily an auto-admit, but at least they are coming... My status is still under eval =(

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: UC Davis

Postby superflush » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:11 pm

Inygma wrote:Edit: Forgot to add, but all students receive a key to the law school building. This lets students use the library/computer lab/lounge/etc. 24 hours a day. I believe this truly shows the sense of community at this school.


or it just shows that they are not using access cards.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: drillteam, Google Adsense [Bot], hwwong, lawlawland16, myronbolitar, tangers91, xn3345 and 19 guests