UC Davis

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RadMobile

Re: UC Davis

Postby RadMobile » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:48 pm

taq wrote:
RadMobile wrote:
I was accepted with a 162/3.7 last week. Don't be too worried. If you had solid LOR's and a convincing personal statement then I think you'll have a chance. I'll be visiting Davis in a few weeks, and barring any blatant red flags, I'll be there in the fall with you fellow TLS'ers :)

Hack, I'd like to know what you find out about the LRAP/IBR combo as well.

hey congrats on getting in!
have you paid the deposit yet by the way? because i cant find the button!!!!!! HAHA
ive called them and i know where it should be.. but its just not there! they told me to email them and they'll see whats wrong... i was just wondering if its just me.... :(

.. does it have anything to do with me using a mac and compatibility issues? lol

I'm using a Mac and Firefox as my browser, but I can see the button fine. That's really weird.

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:59 pm

RadMobile wrote:
taq wrote:
RadMobile wrote:
I was accepted with a 162/3.7 last week. Don't be too worried. If you had solid LOR's and a convincing personal statement then I think you'll have a chance. I'll be visiting Davis in a few weeks, and barring any blatant red flags, I'll be there in the fall with you fellow TLS'ers :)

have you paid the deposit yet by the way? because i cant find the button!!!!!! HAHA
ive called them and i know where it should be.. but its just not there! they told me to email them and they'll see whats wrong... i was just wondering if its just me.... :(

.. does it have anything to do with me using a mac and compatibility issues? lol

I'm using a Mac and Firefox as my browser, but I can see the button fine. That's really weird.

taq, have you tried accessing the site in both Safari and Firefox? It might just be a browser issue.

...Or maybe Davis is playing a cruel, ironic joke on you.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:50 pm

The Straight Poop on Davis & IBR:

Got off phone w/FinAid office just a few minutes ago.

Bottom line is that, no: Davis LRAP does not work in conjunction with IBR.

The school's LRAP is instead designed to pay off a bigger chunk of your debt sooner. This of course means that you will be paying more per month (than under LRAP + IBR programs), and that Davis will be paying more overall. On the other hand, it also means that, should you decide to jump the PI/govt ship after a few years, you'll have knocked out quit a bit of debt (about $18,000 per year in the $58,000 scenario). You could of course use begin using IBR (which always applies to private sector jobs if you earn little enough), but at what cost in terms of interest???

I was told also that no graduate who seeks the aid is turned away. This is great news. (And I should mention/re-iterate that anyone earning less than $40K is off the hook entirely. But, still, poor bastard.)

All I can think is how much money Davis (or LRAP donors) would save if they decided to marry the program to IBR. Or instead the same money could be used to make for a more generous LRAP program (by being able to increase income ceiling or by paying a giant portion of IBR-adjusted loans) that would actually make just-out-of-school life a lot easier.

I'm not totally clear whether Davis LRAP-assisted payments would qualify for IBR's 120-payment forgiveness program. Meaning, if you did Davis LRAP for 5 years, then ditched it for whatever reason, would those 5 years count toward your 10-year forgiveness eligibility -- you know, if case you remained in PI/govt or returned later or whatever? I want to say DavisFinAid said that the LRAP payments do count, but now I can't remember and in any case I didn't seek clarification.

Of course, if you went to Davis, you'd probably be a fool not to do LRAP: your monthly payment amounts with LRAP or IBR would be roughly equal. And, who knows, maybe it would be nice to bail on the public sector after a few years and have a bunch of your debt taken out of the equation?

But if you are 100% certain on at least 10 years in PI/govt, it will likely be much better/easier for you if you find an LRAP that knocks down your IBR-adjusted monthly payment. This can make a significant impact on your day-to-day while not effing you up in terms of overall debt (b/c you plan to get that 10-year forgiveness).

This all makes me pretty sad and lots conflicted. I still haven't heard from Hastings about its fund availability and whether my interpretation of its PICAP is correct. But if it is ... shit fire and save matches! If I got off WL, I'd have to compare post-grad life with IBR + LRAP (a fraction of a fraction of standard 10-year payment) vs. post-grad life with an LRAP (a fraction of standard 10-year payment). Dammit.

Moral of the story: Study harder for the LSAT, get big scholarship.

(NOTE: Bless DavisFinAid for diligently trying to reach me after my e-mailed inquiry and promptly answering all my questions. Also, I'm now way outed if anybody in that office lurks these boards. I assume no one from FinAid does. But just in case ... Um ...earlier in the cycle season, when stress was running high and the anticipation was proving too much to bear, I may have made on TLS a harshly worded, anatomically impossible suggestion to the admin folks at Davis. Please do not try to follow said suggestion. Or hold it against me.)

yo!

Postby yo! » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:11 pm

Thanks for the great write-up hack. It's nice to know that you can bail on PI after a few years (I don't have that intention, but I'm never 100% sure of anything). However, I think that the LRAP payment only becomes a grant after 5 years. Until then, it is basically a loan from the school. Yo have to do at least 5 years of PI to have have the debt actually be forgiven. One thing that annoys me is that clerkships don't count for the LRAP payments. However, I think that they retroactively count if you get a PI job within three years. Disclaimer: I read this quite awhile ago, so I could be mistaken.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:32 pm

Bidding on my 1L course outlines begins now. Ladies, I will be accepting home-cooked meals and sexual favors. Gents, I will only be accepting sexual favors.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:41 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Bidding on my 1L course outlines begins now. Ladies, I will be accepting home-cooked meals and sexual favors. Gents, I will only be accepting sexual favors.

I assume by that you mean you'll be expecting interested gent bidders to bring their attractive female friends?

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:58 pm

yo! wrote:Thanks for the great write-up hack. It's nice to know that you can bail on PI after a few years (I don't have that intention, but I'm never 100% sure of anything). However, I think that the LRAP payment only becomes a grant after 5 years. Until then, it is basically a loan from the school. Yo have to do at least 5 years of PI to have have the debt actually be forgiven. One thing that annoys me is that clerkships don't count for the LRAP payments. However, I think that they retroactively count if you get a PI job within three years. Disclaimer: I read this quite awhile ago, so I could be mistaken.

Welcome. Hope it helps.

FinAid told me that each year's LRAP assistance is forgiven/wiped away/etc. at the end of each year. Also on their LRAP page and in program Bylaws. ... You qualify for a calendar year. They pay 2 installments -- at beginning of year and in July. Come the next January, you are forgiven that prior year's LRAP loan. So, as long as you end each program year in qualified employment and don't take new LRAP loans before jumping to non-qualifying work, you're good.

You're right about clerkships. They are not qualifying employment. But I don't know what happens after that. From LRAP page: "No, judicial clerkships do not qualify for the LRAP program. However, for the graduate/clerk who later accepts eligible employment, his or her tenure as a clerk will be credited toward the total number of years of program participation." ... Unless I'm reading it wrong, that can be a bad thing -- since you get only 10 years of LRAP participation and would get a year "credited" even though you didn't get aid??

Also, I neglected to mention: Davis knocks $5,000 off your income determination for each dependent.

taq

Postby taq » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:20 pm

J Burrito wrote:
RadMobile wrote:
taq wrote:
RadMobile wrote:

taq, have you tried accessing the site in both Safari and Firefox? It might just be a browser issue.

...Or maybe Davis is playing a cruel, ironic joke on you.

haha it's so weird indeed...
and yea, I've checked with safari, firefox and chrome, but none of them work.

I guess I'll just wait for the IT people to reply..

thanks anyway

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:31 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Bidding on my 1L course outlines begins now. Ladies, I will be accepting home-cooked meals and sexual favors. Gents, I will only be accepting sexual favors.

Haha

yo!

Postby yo! » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:32 pm

Are they quality outlines? Are you near the top of the class?

Median grades w/ decent outlines: hand job

Median w. awesome outlines: blow job

Top of the class w/ awesome outlines: rim job

Am I getting this right? :lol:

uganik

Postby uganik » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:47 pm

For those of us in Limbo, our fate could be decided in the next 135 minutes and 25 seconds..... :mrgreen:

davis3l

Postby davis3l » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:54 pm

ozarkhack wrote:Also, I'm now way outed if anybody in that office lurks these boards. I assume no one from FinAid does. But just in case ... Um ...earlier in the cycle season, when stress was running high and the anticipation was proving too much to bear, I may have made on TLS a harshly worded, anatomically impossible suggestion to the admin folks at Davis. Please do not try to follow said suggestion. Or hold it against me.)

I would not assume that admin folks at Davis do not lurk these boards.

primusux

Postby primusux » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:06 pm

yo! wrote:

I just barfed a little in my mouth.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:14 pm

Worry about anonymity when it comes job search time. That's when we create posts and reply to posts anonymously in the legal job section of TLS.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:17 pm

yo! wrote:

Are they quality outlines? Are you near the top of the class?

Median grades w/ decent outlines: hand job

Median w. awesome outlines: blow job

Am I getting this right? :lol:

Crim is a damn easy class, so you don't need to pay for outlines. Buying my civpro outline would probably be an OK move, as long as you learn its contents a little better than I did. My contracts outline was responsible for a very high grade and getting me a paying 1L summer job, so I'll only accept hookers and shoeboxes of coke for that one.

Jury's still out on torts, property, and conlaw. Finals begin... next Friday.

articulably suspect

Postby articulably suspect » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:23 pm

What's the salary cap for Davis LRAP, like 60K?

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:25 pm

davis3l wrote:
ozarkhack wrote:Also, I'm now way outed if anybody in that office lurks these boards. I assume no one from FinAid does. But just in case ... Um ...earlier in the cycle season, when stress was running high and the anticipation was proving too much to bear, I may have made on TLS a harshly worded, anatomically impossible suggestion to the admin folks at Davis. Please do not try to follow said suggestion. Or hold it against me.)

I spoke with someone in Admissions who confirmed that they do read this thread, fwiw.
Last edited by phoenix323 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:33 pm

:shock:

Edit: deleted quote
Last edited by J Burrito on Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:14 pm

J Burrito wrote:
phoenix323 wrote:
davis3l wrote:

I spoke with someone in Admissions last week who confirmed that they do read this thread, fwiw.

I guess it's good that I've kept a policy of being fairly cagey about parts of my application. Of course, I've also kept to the idea that I'll conduct myself on an online forum as I would in real life - or thereabouts anyways.

Edited to add, if anyone from admissions is watching, please end my evaluation purgatory. :mrgreen:

cyberPUNK

Postby cyberPUNK » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:30 pm

Been under evaluation since beginning of December I think. Not very high numbers, but for some reason still evaluation in progress, so I can't complain. A little worried though since I retook twice and they haven't asked for an addendum, seems they've asked others already. Sorry just thinking "out loud." Ugh.
Last edited by cyberPUNK on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yo!

Postby yo! » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:31 pm

phoenix323 wrote:
davis3l wrote:

I spoke with someone in Admissions who confirmed that they do read this thread, fwiw.

Uh oh! I definitely outed myself by posting the exact email that I sent to the admissions office. Oh well, they still liked me enough to offer a scholarship, so it's all good...

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:31 pm

30 minutes and 25 seconds until magic time! Come on Davis! Let me continue to be an Aggie forever and ever!!!

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:34 pm

yo! wrote:
phoenix323 wrote:
davis3l wrote:

Uh oh! I definitely outed myself by posting the exact email that I sent to the admissions office. Oh well, they still liked me enough to offer a scholarship, so it's all good...

And I probably outed myself by posting that little tidbit of information. I hope they still like me enough to admit me :mrgreen:

cyberPUNK

Postby cyberPUNK » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:34 pm

DAVIS, REQUITE MY LOVE!

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:35 pm

cyberPUNK wrote:DAVIS, REQUITE MY LOVE!

+10000000000

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”