UC Davis

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zeth006

Re: UC Davis

Postby zeth006 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:18 pm

Matteliszt wrote:Have Hellokitty, Yo! and some of the other pre January applicants find out yet?

42 minutes left until it's time. :mrgreen:

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:20 pm

Matteliszt wrote:Have Hellokitty, Yo! and some of the other pre January applicants find out yet?

I'm almost positive that Yo! was accepted, correct me if I'm wrong and I'm stilling waiting.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:25 pm

<- Still Eval in Prog. from Nov.

jwbang

Postby jwbang » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:27 pm

If I applied late January, will this delay my results? I've been "Evaluation in Progress" for months now, and I think waiting for 6:00:25 PM every day might give me an ulcer.

yo!

Postby yo! » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:36 pm

hellokitty wrote:

I'm almost positive that Yo! was accepted, correct me if I'm wrong and I'm stilling waiting.

I got in on the 8th and it looks like I will be attending. Good luck at 6 everyone!

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:39 pm

Grats Yo!

Just looked at your profile, I take it you will go to Davis over SC, Kitty?

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:06 pm

zeth006 wrote:

42 minutes left until it's time. :mrgreen:

Drat.

Nothing.

uganik

Postby uganik » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:08 pm

nada

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:10 pm

Matteliszt wrote:Grats Yo!

Just looked at your profile, I take it you will go to Davis over SC, Kitty?

I'm still 'Eval in Progress'...I am about to withdraw from Santa Clara, so no. But I'm not sure I'll be attending Davis either (even if I got in), I think I'm going to wait a year...but an acceptance from Davis would make me seriously consider that decision.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:13 pm

All quiet on the TLS front tonight.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:53 pm

Before I bug Financial Aid in these busy times ... Anybody know much about Davis' LRAP? Either my brain has turned to mush, or I've stumbled on a problem.

My reading is that Davis' LRAP beneficiaries are required to put 35% of their income toward loan payments (if they earn more than $40K; those poor folk get all their debt taken care of). In case I'm suffering RC fail, see here, at #10.

The LRAP Bylaws don't go into any more detail. But they do reiterate: You put 35% of your income toward the loan, Davis picks up the other 65%. Note that it does not say, you pay 35% of the loan payment and Davis picks up the rest. That's a big difference.

The problem: IBR knocks your loan payments to no more than 15% of your income, right? So ... can you not use both as a Davis grad????

This would be not so good if true. Anybody? Please tell me I'm an idiot and missed something.

rodewan

Postby rodewan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:23 pm

no movement from davis, and a hold extension by cardozo until june...sigh

yo!

Postby yo! » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:30 pm

ozarkhack wrote:Before I bug Financial Aid in these busy times ... Anybody know much about Davis' LRAP? Either my brain has turned to mush, or I've stumbled on a problem.

My reading is that Davis' LRAP beneficiaries are required to put 35% of their income toward loan payments (if they earn more than $40K; those poor folk get all their debt taken care of). In case I'm suffering RC fail, see here, at #10.

The LRAP Bylaws don't go into any more detail. But they do reiterate: You put 35% of your income toward the loan, Davis picks up the other 65%. Note that it does not say, you pay 35% of the loan payment and Davis picks up the rest. That's a big difference.

The problem: IBR knocks your loan payments to no more than 15% of your income, right? So ... can you not use both as a Davis grad????

This would be not so good if true. Anybody? Please tell me I'm an idiot and missed something.

My understanding is that you put 35% of your income over 40K. Basically 50K salary = 35% of 10K = 3500$. Do this for 10 yrs, and the loans are forgiven. I have no idea if you can use IBR in conjunction; that is something that I've wondered myself. BTW, sorry that I haven't responded to your PM, I completely forgot. Will we be seeing you in the fall hack? You seemed to have fallen off the Davis bandwagon as of late...

LvingLegend

Postby LvingLegend » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:37 pm

The loans aren't forgiven after 10 years, but if you set your repayment period for 10 years then you will have your loans paid off.

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:43 pm

I'm still 'Eval in Progress'...I am about to withdraw from Santa Clara, so no. But I'm not sure I'll be attending Davis either (even if I got in), I think I'm going to wait a year...but an acceptance from Davis would make me seriously consider that decision.

Whats wrong with SC?

orko60

Postby orko60 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:23 am

WL today. I went complete mid-February. 163/3.61

Don't think I'm interested anymore. I'll just go to Pepperdine (it's much closer).

Good luck, everyone!

cramos12

Postby cramos12 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:24 am

Wow, it's been a loooong while since I posted in this thread! It's been a long time since I've been on TLS!

But I can proudly say IN AT DAVIS! 160/3.8/URM =)

Will have to choose between here and Hastings and can probably rule out Loyola now... Good luck everyone!

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:52 am

orko60 wrote:WL today. I went complete mid-February. 163/3.61

Don't think I'm interested anymore. I'll just go to Pepperdine (it's much closer).

Good luck, everyone!

Wow. Sorry to hear about the WL. Hope Pepperdine works out for you.

If those numbers are a WL, I've got a bad feeling about this week ...

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:29 am

yo! wrote:My understanding is that you put 35% of your income over 40K. Basically 50K salary = 35% of 10K = 3500$. Do this for 10 yrs, and the loans are forgiven. I have no idea if you can use IBR in conjunction; that is something that I've wondered myself. BTW, sorry that I haven't responded to your PM, I completely forgot. Will we be seeing you in the fall hack? You seemed to have fallen off the Davis bandwagon as of late...

You caught it: "The imputed contribution will be equal to 35% of income above $40,000." That still appears to be more out-of-pocket that IBR alone would be. I'm going to find out how IBR works with Davis' program. B/c if it doesn't, Davis LRAP does not appear to be so hot.

Figure: a $58,000 public-service job. 1 person household. $130K loans and a standard 10-year payment plan.

Non-IBR monthly payment = $1,496. Grad pays $525, Davis gets the rest.

IBR monthly payment = $520.

What would be the benefit of this? I mean, this costs the school way more money (i.e., opportunity to offer more aid) than if they re-configured their payment to cover a percentage of IBR payment. As in ...

Hastings' PICAP (sorry to kick up H v. D yet again).

Not only does Hastings have a higher eligible income ceiling ($70K to Davis' $60K), it also figures its benefit as a percentage of scheduled loan payment. With that $58,000 job and $190,000 debt ... a grad's monthly IBR would be $520, of which he would pay only $104 under PICAP. On top of that, Hastings picks up more of the tab every year. After 6 years working between $50K-$60K, PICAP would cover 100% of the loan for the next few years until IBR wipes it clean. (If you earn between $60K-$70, you have to pay for 7 years before total freedom; $50K and less = 4 years.)

I'm going to try to find out from Davis whether I've totally misread their program. I'll report back. (I've also asked Hastings how often, if at all, eligible students are denied PICAP help due to lack of funds.)

I'm definitely still on the Daviswagon and almost certainly will attend: SO and I are already planning our mid-July move (in addition to liking the school, she's got family in the area; so we're pretty excited all way around). ... That said, LRAP issue could make things tough if Hastings — big IF — pulls me from WL. I very much prefer the Davis school atmosphere to Hastings', but I prefer San Francisco to heaven. And if the LRAP plans do indeed differ by several hundred dollars/month ... that's a very big deal to me.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:02 am

ozarkhack wrote:
yo! wrote:My understanding is that you put 35% of your income over 40K. Basically 50K salary = 35% of 10K = 3500$. Do this for 10 yrs, and the loans are forgiven. I have no idea if you can use IBR in conjunction; that is something that I've wondered myself. BTW, sorry that I haven't responded to your PM, I completely forgot. Will we be seeing you in the fall hack? You seemed to have fallen off the Davis bandwagon as of late...

You caught it: "The imputed contribution will be equal to 35% of income above $40,000." That still appears to be more out-of-pocket that IBR alone would be. I'm going to find out how IBR works with Davis' program. B/c if it doesn't, Davis LRAP does not appear to be so hot.

Figure: a $58,000 public-service job. 1 person household. $130K loans and a standard 10-year payment plan.

What would be the benefit of this? I mean, this costs the school way more money (i.e., opportunity to offer more aid) than if they re-configured their payment to cover a percentage of IBR payment. As in ...

Not only does Hastings have a higher eligible income ceiling ($70K to Davis' $60K), it also figures its benefit as a percentage of scheduled loan payment. With that $58,000 job and $190,000 debt ... a grad's monthly IBR would be $520, of which he would pay only $104 under PICAP. On top of that, Hastings picks up more of the tab every year. After 6 years working between $50K-$60K, PICAP would cover 100% of the loan for the next few years until IBR wipes it clean. (If you earn between $60K-$70, you have to pay for 7 years before total freedom; $50K and less = 4 years.)

I'm going to try to find out from Davis whether I've totally misread their program. I'll report back. (I've also asked Hastings how often, if at all, eligible students are denied PICAP help due to lack of funds.)

I'm definitely still on the Daviswagon and almost certainly will attend: SO and I are already planning our mid-July move (in addition to liking the school, she's got family in the area; so we're pretty excited all way around). ... That said, LRAP issue could make things tough if Hastings — big IF — pulls me from WL. I very much prefer the Davis school atmosphere to Hastings', but I prefer San Francisco to heaven. And if the LRAP plans do indeed differ by several hundred dollars/month ... that's a very big deal to me.

Let me know what you discover about the Davis LRAP's compatability with IBR, I'm definitely curious.

yo!

Postby yo! » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:10 am

ozarkhack wrote:

I'm calling the financial aid guy this week sometime to find all of this out. If the Hastings program is really that good, I'll be kicking myself in the ass for not applying. My wife doesn't really like SF, which is why I didn't apply. However, I could have lived in the valley and crashed with my sister during the school week (she is going to SF State).

RadMobile

Postby RadMobile » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:13 am

missinglink wrote:

Good luck, everyone!

I was accepted with a 162/3.7 last week. Don't be too worried. If you had solid LOR's and a convincing personal statement then I think you'll have a chance. I'll be visiting Davis in a few weeks, and barring any blatant red flags, I'll be there in the fall with you fellow TLS'ers :)

Hack, I'd like to know what you find out about the LRAP/IBR combo as well.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:14 am

RadMobile wrote:
missinglink wrote:

Good luck, everyone!

I was accepted with a 162/3.7 last week. Don't be too worried. If you had solid LOR's and a convincing personal statement then I think you'll have a chance. I'll be visiting Davis in a few weeks, and barring any blatant red flags, I'll be there in the fall with you fellow TLS'ers :)

Hang in there, I was admitted with lower stats than that (159).

taq

Postby taq » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:10 am

RadMobile wrote:

hey congrats on getting in!
have you paid the deposit yet by the way? because i cant find the button!!!!!! HAHA
ive called them and i know where it should be.. but its just not there! they told me to email them and they'll see whats wrong... i was just wondering if its just me.... :(

.. does it have anything to do with me using a mac and compatibility issues? lol

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:13 am

JOThompson wrote:
RadMobile wrote:
missinglink wrote:

Good luck, everyone!

Hang in there, I was admitted with lower stats than that (159).

Hanging in there. It's hard not to worry when there's not much else to do. I was recently downsized, so with law school coming up, I'm not really finding much else in terms of work.

But also preparing plan C : Registering for the June LSAT. :shock:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”