UC Davis

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
calgal17

Re: UC Davis

Postby calgal17 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:54 am

So the ASD yesterday was really great. I felt like I connected really easily to everyone I met and they were all so helpful in answering any and all questions I had. Even the Dean came to the diversity gathering in a hoody and was chatting casually with everyone. At the lunch there were professors, current students, and alumni who loved their experiences. The campus is absolutely beautiful and the gym is amazing (maybe i'm easily impressed). I feel like the information I heard in the presentations I already knew for the most part, but maybe I had done more prior investigating than most. I definitely felt like the deciding factor for me was just getting to talk to everyone about their experiences there. I also got some emails of current students who were willing to answer any more questions I may have and connect me with other people. I'm honestly so excited about going to King Hall in the fall! If anyone has any specific questions about the ASD, feel free to PM me.

pootie

Postby pootie » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:39 pm

calgal17 wrote:So the ASD yesterday was really great. I felt like I connected really easily to everyone I met and they were all so helpful in answering any and all questions I had. Even the Dean came to the diversity gathering in a hoody and was chatting casually with everyone. At the lunch there were professors, current students, and alumni who loved their experiences. The campus is absolutely beautiful and the gym is amazing (maybe i'm easily impressed). I feel like the information I heard in the presentations I already knew for the most part, but maybe I had done more prior investigating than most. I definitely felt like the deciding factor for me was just getting to talk to everyone about their experiences there. I also got some emails of current students who were willing to answer any more questions I may have and connect me with other people. I'm honestly so excited about going to King Hall in the fall! If anyone has any specific questions about the ASD, feel free to PM me.
calgal17 wrote:So the ASD yesterday was really great. I felt like I connected really easily to everyone I met and they were all so helpful in answering any and all questions I had. Even the Dean came to the diversity gathering in a hoody and was chatting casually with everyone. At the lunch there were professors, current students, and alumni who loved their experiences. The campus is absolutely beautiful and the gym is amazing (maybe i'm easily impressed). I feel like the information I heard in the presentations I already knew for the most part, but maybe I had done more prior investigating than most. I definitely felt like the deciding factor for me was just getting to talk to everyone about their experiences there. I also got some emails of current students who were willing to answer any more questions I may have and connect me with other people. I'm honestly so excited about going to King Hall in the fall! If anyone has any specific questions about the ASD, feel free to PM me.

+1 Whoa, that gym was really impressive! And I agree with everything else you said too.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:01 pm

Won't say much about ASD. I think I've gotten more out of the two smaller, individual visits I've done elsewhere. ASD seemed a waste to me (to be fair, I didn't take campus tour but instead did a quick walkabout surrounding King Hall and that duck pond thingy on my way out of town -- nice campus).

I will say that if Davis wasn't getting new facilities, it would've been VERY hard to decide to attend. King Hall currently is a steamy pile of awful. That's just my take, and maybe my thinking was unfairly influenced by the truly crappy weather and the fact that I was absolutely wiped (3 law school visits in 8 days + several consecutive days of less than 5 hours' sleep = cranky me).

Anyway, I just paid my first $250. ASD might've played a tiny role in that by putting me in touch with a current student or two and etc.

Maybe I'll see you there?

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:24 pm

Totally agree, I was quite impressed by what Davis has to offer. It seems like a very well-rounded school with a strong, accessible faculty. I actually had the pleasure of eating lunch with the Dean of Student Affairs, Vikram Amar. An extremely bright and informative guy, he had nothing but great things to share about the school - I was definitely sold. He was also kind enough to relate UCD's strengths and weaknesses with other California schools like Hastings, Loyola, and USC/UCLA. He seemed quite optimistic that UCD will continue to rise in the rankings, and I believe it. Once the new construction and the following renovations are completed, King Hall is going to be a fabulous place to study law (not that it isn't, already). I'm very fond of the scholarly vibe I got from the school and UC Davis more generally. I've lived nearby my whole life and have visited plenty of times, but I definitely saw the school in a new light at ASD. My deposit is going down next week! :)

Join the Facebook group! http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/gro ... 650&ref=ts

eth3n

Postby eth3n » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:29 pm

You guys should give the ASD people more credit. There were some seriously complicated plans to ninja the In and Out you guys were being served, but they guarded them well.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:42 pm

Wait, hold on a second. They served In-n-Out at ASD?

I'm fk'in sold. 8)

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:45 pm

J Burrito wrote:Totally agree, I was quite impressed by what Davis has to offer. It seems like a very well-rounded school with a strong, accessible faculty. I actually had the pleasure of eating lunch with the Dean of Student Affairs, Vikram Amar. An extremely bright and informative guy, he had nothing but great things to share about the school - I was definitely sold. He was also kind enough to relate UCD's strengths and weaknesses with other California schools like Hastings, Loyola, and USC/UCLA. He seemed quite optimistic that UCD will continue to rise in the rankings, and I believe it. Once the new construction and the following renovations are completed, King Hall is going to be a fabulous place to study law (not that it isn't, already). I'm very fond of the scholarly vibe I got from the school and UC Davis more generally. I've lived nearby my whole life and have visited plenty of times, but I definitely saw the school in a new light at ASD. My deposit is going down next week! :)

I'm wondering if you could be kind enough to share what the Dean related to you, about the strengths of UCD vis-a-vis the other California schools.

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:59 pm

missinglink wrote:
J Burrito wrote:Totally agree, I was quite impressed by what Davis has to offer. It seems like a very well-rounded school with a strong, accessible faculty. I actually had the pleasure of eating lunch with the Dean of Student Affairs, Vikram Amar. An extremely bright and informative guy, he had nothing but great things to share about the school - I was definitely sold. He was also kind enough to relate UCD's strengths and weaknesses with other California schools like Hastings, Loyola, and USC/UCLA. He seemed quite optimistic that UCD will continue to rise in the rankings, and I believe it. Once the new construction and the following renovations are completed, King Hall is going to be a fabulous place to study law (not that it isn't, already). I'm very fond of the scholarly vibe I got from the school and UC Davis more generally. I've lived nearby my whole life and have visited plenty of times, but I definitely saw the school in a new light at ASD. My deposit is going down next week! :)

I'm wondering if you could be kind enough to share what the Dean related to you, about the strengths of UCD vis-a-vis the other California schools.

PM me if you want more details. Since I've already outted him by name and this is a public site, I don't know if he'd appreciate the world knowing his personal opinions on other schools. Thanks!

yo!

Postby yo! » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:05 pm

If anyone has the time, I would appreciate some kind of response in this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=114144. I really have no clue what I will do...

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:35 pm

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Sent the e-mail, worded it so the tone would be polite but urgently expressed.

I'm not expecting them to have a quick decision rendered. But in the event a miracle comes through and I somehow get a decision, I'll probably have to call my bank to have the initial deposit check canceled.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:10 pm

zeth006 wrote:Thanks for the advice, everyone! Sent the e-mail, worded it so the tone would be polite but urgently expressed.

I'm not expecting them to have a quick decision rendered. But in the event a miracle comes through and I somehow get a decision, I'll probably have to call my bank to have the initial deposit check canceled.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Good luck! I hope it turns out well for you. The admissions people seemed very kind, I think they are just very selective with their acceptances and they really do read each one.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:30 am

Just sent out the email...fingers crossed for this week.

rodewan

Postby rodewan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:27 am

just sent out the email as well, lol funny how a lot of us sent out the email during this time period

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:42 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:Just sent out the email...fingers crossed for this week.

rodewan wrote:just sent out the email as well, lol funny how a lot of us sent out the email during this time period

Including another guy who PM'ed me, that makes 4 of us who've sent e-mails plus all the forum lurkers who've taken the same cue.

EDIT: And by that, I'm listing people who've sent e-mails and are awaiting responses. 3 others have gotten successful results.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:48 pm

When did you get a response by? I sent mine out Sunday night, so hopefully I get a response by Tuesday.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:48 pm

In a hilarious twist, they've probably grown tired of responding to requests for expedited evaluations, and our emails will instead result in even longer waits.

Mine was more LOCI than anything else, actually. I never got a response, but then again, the admissions office has never responded to my emails with an acknowledgement of receipt of anything.

Has anyone else received confirmation of receipt of an LOCI / status check dislodgment letter?

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:13 pm

Evaluation in Progress!!!!

I love you Davis! Let me continue to be an Aggie!

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:23 pm

phoenix323 wrote:Evaluation in Progress!!!!

Yay finally!!

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:06 am

I'd say let's wait and see how the e-mails go. I'm hoping for a response by this week's end!

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:12 am

I sent my FAFSA to Davis a couple months ago, but I just realized I never submitted my NeedAccess. How disadvantaged am I for grants/need-based now?

angela

Postby angela » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:19 pm

JOThompson wrote:I sent my FAFSA to Davis a couple months ago, but I just realized I never submitted my NeedAccess. How disadvantaged am I for grants/need-based now?

Financial aid director at ASD said you need to fill out the need access application and email them that you have filled it out. you will receive consideration for grants, but after everyone who filed on time.

charcop

Postby charcop » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:19 pm

I sent my app in late OCTOBER and have been "in evaluation" since January. Anyone else still in the same boat? :evil:

angela

Postby angela » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:20 pm

angela wrote:
JOThompson wrote:I sent my FAFSA to Davis a couple months ago, but I just realized I never submitted my NeedAccess. How disadvantaged am I for grants/need-based now?

Financial aid director at ASD said you need to fill out the need access application and email them that you have filled it out. you will receive consideration for grants, but after everyone who filed on time.

actually I saw that you have been admitted, so the financial aid director said to email him directly. best of luck!

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:22 pm

charcop wrote:

I sent my app in late OCTOBER and have been "in evaluation" since January. Anyone else still in the same boat? :evil:

<-- Early October here. Not stressing as I probably won't attend, but I can't seem to bring myself to withdraw since I've been waiting for so damn long.

cali gal

Postby cali gal » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:01 pm

Do you think a visit will help if your waitlisted?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”