UC Davis

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bceagles182

Re: UC Davis

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:20 pm

What exactly are you guys saying when you email?

NervousInKC

Postby NervousInKC » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:25 pm

Congrats to all the new admits. I am still just AWAITING eval. I guess I'd be lucky if I heard by May. *deep breaths*

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:35 pm

I'm excited to see everyone at ASD tomorrow!

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:41 pm

J Burrito wrote:I'm excited to see everyone at ASD tomorrow!

+1

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:55 pm

DAVIS SHOW ME SOME LOVE!

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:44 pm

bceagles182 wrote:What exactly are you guys saying when you email?

This is exactly what I sent. I can't say for sure that it helped, but I did get in two days later.

Attn: UC Davis Law Admissions,

While I completely understand that the surge in applications for the 2010 entering class creates a difficult situation for the admissions office, I respectfully request an update concerning my application status. I check the status website religiously at 6:00 PM every night, but I'm hoping for a more specific idea of when the admissions committee will reach a decision. I haven't received any type of correspondence from the school in quite some time, so I am beginning to worry. UC Davis is my top choice, so I hope to avoid paying an expensive seat deposit at a backup school. Furthermore, my wife is discussing a transfer with her human resources department and we are unsure about whether to make plans in Northern California, or near the out of state backup school. Again, I realize the difficulties facing any law school when choosing an entering class, but I would really appreciate an update or decision sometime soon. Thank you for the consideration.

Best Regards,

XXXXXXXXX

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:45 pm

Just checked this thread - congrats yo! and others. I still haven't heard anything from Davis.

dontworrybehappy

Postby dontworrybehappy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:21 pm

This is what I wrote

Hello,

I am a candidate for the Fall 2010 JD program. I am still awaiting an admissions decision. My status has been "Evaluation in Process" for over a month. I was just wondering if there is any reason for the delay, and to assure you of my continued interest in your law school.

Sincerely,

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:33 pm

No movement tonight eh? Well, I'm off to the bar...see you guys at the ASD tomorrow!

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:47 am

I find it mildly unnerving that the process seems so .... well, I'm not sure what the word is. Unsystematic?

It seems like emails to the office get the ball rolling a little bit. They should just have a process in place that expedites applications without someone having to ask for it to be moved along.

Report back on ASD for those of us who couldn't attend. :D There might be some information about the status of this years class.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:52 am

J Burrito wrote:I'm excited to see everyone at ASD tomorrow!

Looking forward to it. Had dinner at Tucos (good food, bad service/experience) and a beer ($1.50 PBR) at G Street Pub tonight. Would've like to have spent more time around town, but my trip so far has absolutely wiped me out.

Look for the zombie tomorrow. That's me.
Last edited by ozarkhack on Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:55 am

Man, as a WLer who TOTALLY thought he'd get accepted at Davis, it's ironic hearing stories of y'all coming into town, where I live as a UCD undergrad... and hitting my local haunts (Tucos, etc). Crazy.
Power to you, and enjoy the town, in however a small dose it may be. The weather will be 70 and partly cloudy.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:01 am

ugh...now i'm debating whether to send an email or not. Just to confirm, what's their email address?

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:35 pm

I myself am torn between sending them a LOCI-like e-mail telling them I'm dropping $250 for a safety school that later might turn out to be money wasted. On the other hand, I'm a bit wary of coming off strong and eliciting an unfavorable admissions decision from a red-faced adcomm officer.

Whaddya guys think? Send an e-mail now, or just wait? It seems like a decent number of people are getting decisions rendered in record time after sending e-mails. I shudder at the thought of waiting until the middle of August while I'll already have paid rent and incurred other nonrefundable costs at my safety.

dontworrybehappy

Postby dontworrybehappy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:07 pm

zeth006 wrote:I myself am torn between sending them a LOCI-like e-mail telling them I'm dropping $250 for a safety school that later might turn out to be money wasted. On the other hand, I'm a bit wary of coming off strong and eliciting an unfavorable admissions decision from a red-faced adcomm officer.

Whaddya guys think? Send an e-mail now, or just wait? It seems like a decent number of people are getting decisions rendered in record time after sending e-mails. I shudder at the thought of waiting until the middle of August while I'll already have paid rent and incurred other nonrefundable costs at my safety.

Just be firm, but polite and diplomatic. They obviously aren't doing a good job if it's taking as long as this. I mean, I don't know about you guys but I don't live in a grove of money trees. So, what do you have to lose?

NervousInKC

Postby NervousInKC » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:36 pm

zeth006 wrote:I myself am torn between sending them a LOCI-like e-mail telling them I'm dropping $250 for a safety school that later might turn out to be money wasted. On the other hand, I'm a bit wary of coming off strong and eliciting an unfavorable admissions decision from a red-faced adcomm officer.

+1 I'm torn with this as well. I already paid $500 to a safety and would really like to know before more money is due. Its just that Davis is a little of a reach for me, so I too don't want to evoke an unfavorable decision.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:45 pm

dontworrybehappy wrote:

Just be firm, but polite and diplomatic. They obviously aren't doing a good job if it's taking as long as this. I mean, I don't know about you guys but I don't live in a grove of money trees. So, what do you have to lose?

Money trees are pretty sweet. 8)

In all seriousness, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a decision after a reasonable amount of time. Especially with deposit deadlines coming up. Just be polite but frank. This is a two way road here.

Still waiting for an ASD report from those that attended. Or is it still going on? I just finished with UA's ASD, but sort of wish I were at Davis. Certainly a fallback option if I strike out in California that I think I could be happy with.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:12 pm

I don't exactly have a grove of money trees flourishing in my backyard either. Though I'm sure after we all graduate at the top 5% of our class, we'll be earning that $160,000 starting salary, driving hot cars, and living off the fat of the land economic and job realities notwithstanding. :P

I guess it's time to start preparing that e-mail. Deposits are due by Thursday. I'll send an e-mail before tomorrow night and wait until Tuesday evening for a reply. Just to be safe, does my deposit just need to be post-marked before the April 15th deadline?

NervousInKC

Postby NervousInKC » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:15 pm

zeth006 wrote:I don't exactly have a grove of money trees flourishing in my backyard either. Though I'm sure after we all graduate at the top 5% of our class, we'll be earning that $160,000 starting salary, driving hot cars, and living off the fat of the land economic and job realities notwithstanding. :P

I guess it's time to start preparing that e-mail. Deposits are due by Thursday. I'll send an e-mail before tomorrow night and wait until Tuesday evening for a reply. Just to be safe, does my deposit just need to be post-marked before the April 15th deadline?

For most schools I applied to, the deposit had to be received by the deadline. You may want to call the school just to be sure though.

yo!

Postby yo! » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:30 pm

I just got back from the ASD. I talked to the financial aid guy and found that I got nothing in grants. My wife's salary killed me. As much as I love Davis, I will probably end up withdrawing.....

NervousInKC

Postby NervousInKC » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:37 pm

yo! wrote:I just got back from the ASD. I talked to the financial aid guy and found that I got nothing in grants. My wife's salary killed me. As much as I love Davis, I will probably end up withdrawing.....

Sorry to hear that. What did you think about the campus etc?

yo!

Postby yo! » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:50 pm

NervousInKC wrote:
yo! wrote:I just got back from the ASD. I talked to the financial aid guy and found that I got nothing in grants. My wife's salary killed me. As much as I love Davis, I will probably end up withdrawing.....

Sorry to hear that. What did you think about the campus etc?

Loved it, but I had already been there before. I actually almost went there for UG. I still may attend because I want to do PI work, but unfortunately my wife's salary will keep me from qualifying for LRAP. It's looking like UNLV for free is the best option right now. 12 days to decide.....

angela

Postby angela » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:05 pm

hi guys,
For those who are interested in the ASD here is some info.
The students and teachers seem really great and approachable. You automatically get the feeling that it is definitely not cut throat. You get a key to the school and you can use it 24/7. The Financial aid director said that while tuition will be rising with the upcoming years, they will also be increasing grant aid. For those who have been accepted but have not filled out the need access form, you can still qualify for aid. You must fill it out asap and then email the financial aid director telling him that you have filled it out. They said that the new building will be done before we start school and that they are also going to be remodeling king hall. While it was stressed that Davis was supportive and friendly, (definitely showed) the students did discuss how it was difficult to be in the top ten percent. The dean mentioned that only 20% of people can get A's. They also talked about the diversity of the faculty (sexual orientation, gender, ethnicity) and how they mostly have a full time faculty rather than visiting professors. Can't really think of anything else now, but if you have any questions feel free to ask in case they were covered at the ASD. Good luck to all those still waiting!
Also forgot to mention that all incoming students get their own desk space in the library.

NervousInKC

Postby NervousInKC » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:37 am

Yo! and Angela, thanks for your help. I really appreciate it!

yo!

Postby yo! » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:02 am

NervousInKC wrote:Yo! and Angela, thanks for your help. I really appreciate it!

Haha I don't think I offered much actual help. I didn't feel like doing a wtite-up of the whole day. However, if you have any specific questions about my impression of the school, I'm happy to answer. Good luck if you decide to to bug them about admitting you. I met Christina Gaspisin ( Dir of Admissions) and she was extremely nice and helpful. I directed my email to the admissions office in general, but you may want to send yours straight to her. Just maintain a polite tone, and I doubt there's any way it could hurt.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”