UC Davis Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zeth006

Silver

Re: UC Davis

Post by zeth006 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:35 am

PunjabiLower wrote:Went complete 1/25 and still haven't received my initial decision. I'd be VERY surprised if they don't let me know before April 15th..it just doesn't make sense.

My advice: Don't be. :( This is why I've already filled out my deposit slip for USD. I'll probably mail it out Monday morning before the April 15th deadline. Lurk a little more on TLS and you'll hear horror stories of people received admit letters after already having spent 2 weeks at their safeties.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:39 am

adonai wrote:Sorry guys, I'm a natural pessimist. I could be wrong and Davis could just be playing it ultra safe /conservative with the admits. Too many what-ifs!!

What do you mean ultra-conservative? I'll go further to say they're trying to milk the recent surge in apps for every drop they can get!

matrix637

New

Post by matrix637 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:55 pm

screw this! I am not waiting for a decision for the rest of my life. Withdrawing today.
Loyola $$$ >>> Davis anyways!

venting feels great :)

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:53 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:Went complete 1/25 and still haven't received my initial decision. I'd be VERY surprised if they don't let me know before April 15th..it just doesn't make sense.
zeth006 wrote:
adonai wrote:Sorry guys, I'm a natural pessimist. I could be wrong and Davis could just be playing it ultra safe /conservative with the admits. Too many what-ifs!!

What do you mean ultra-conservative? I'll go further to say they're trying to milk the recent surge in apps for every drop they can get!
Conservative in not making more offers than they can eventually accommodate. It's obviously the same idea for schools every year, except the recent surge in applicants has meant that more qualified students than usual have either been officially waitlisted or just left waiting for a decision. It's definitely frustrating, but it makes perfect sense to me that a school like Davis would rather waitlist or simply not decide on highly qualified applicants than reject them and regret it.

cali gal

New

Post by cali gal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:44 pm

Is 6PM the only time our status checkers would be updated? Or is there a possibility that they could update it during the day?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

angela

New

Post by angela » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:46 pm

drdolittle wrote:Are health insurance fees included in the financial aid awards issued now?
I just called the financial aid office and they said that it is included in the fees. The cost is 1,954 for the year and it can be waived if you have your own health insurance

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:52 pm

cali gal wrote:Is 6PM the only time our status checkers would be updated? Or is there a possibility that they could update it during the day?
From a financial aid email sent in Feb to all applicants: "Decisions are being made weekly and the online status check is being updated every evening." So I think from this, and my own experience of checking it throughout the day, they only update once at 6 pm daily.

boardride23

New

Post by boardride23 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:15 pm

matrix637 wrote:screw this! I am not waiting for a decision for the rest of my life. Withdrawing today.

Exact same boat as you matrix, see you at Loyola :D

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:00 pm

matrix637 wrote:screw this! I am not waiting for a decision for the rest of my life. Withdrawing today.

I've heard Davis doesn't hand out too many merit awards so you're probably not missing much.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cali gal

New

Post by cali gal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:13 pm

drdolittle wrote:
cali gal wrote:Is 6PM the only time our status checkers would be updated? Or is there a possibility that they could update it during the day?
From a financial aid email sent in Feb to all applicants: "Decisions are being made weekly and the online status check is being updated every evening." So I think from this, and my own experience of checking it throughout the day, they only update once at 6 pm daily.
Thanks. That's good to know. This will stop me from compulsively checking every hour in hopes of some good news.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:28 pm

So now that we've passed the April 1st deposit deadline for some schools and are nearing the April 15th deadline for other schools, what safety schools have you guys prepared deposit slips for?

Me: USD

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:38 pm

I havnt heard from Loyola either...and I think I'm an autoadmit...I went complete early january...

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:17 pm

zeth006 wrote:So now that we've passed the April 1st deposit deadline for some schools and are nearing the April 15th deadline for other schools, what safety schools have you guys prepared deposit slips for?

Me: UNLV-full tuition
Last edited by yo! on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:20 pm

yo! wrote:
zeth006 wrote:So now that we've passed the April 1st deposit deadline for some schools and are nearing the April 15th deadline for other schools, what safety schools have you guys prepared deposit slips for?

Me: UNLV
Temple, Villanova w $, or Suffolk with full tuition. Presumably the updates are at 6 pm PST so 9pm EST?

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:29 pm

Me: UA w/48k

Going to Tucson to check it out this weekend.

USD would have high up there, but for whatever reason, they declined to offer a scholarship. Decision rendered at Loyola L.A. last Monday, but I still haven't received anything in the mail, and I live in California

Speluncean X

New

Post by Speluncean X » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:37 pm

zeth006 wrote:

I've heard Davis doesn't hand out too many merit awards so you're probably not missing much.
For what my anecdotal experience is worth, I received $25K / year from Davis vs. $17K / year from Loyola. Combine that with the great disparity in the cost of living between Davis and Los Angeles, and difference is significant (and surprisingly in favor of the higher-rated school). My case may be a statistical anomaly though. Good luck to everybody!

J Burrito

Bronze

Post by J Burrito » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:38 pm

Santa Clara... Loyola made me a better offer but I want to stay in NorCal

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

boardride23

New

Post by boardride23 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:40 pm

Speluncean X wrote:
zeth006 wrote:

For what my anecdotal experience is worth, I received $25K / year from Davis vs. $17K / year from Loyola. Combine that with the great disparity in the cost of living between Davis and Los Angeles, and difference is significant (and surprisingly in favor of the higher-rated school). My case may be a statistical anomaly though. Good luck to everybody!
How is your GPA a 4.0, but LSDAS GPA a 3.3? That would likely explain the discrepancy (Davis gave you 4.0 money, Loyola 3.3)?

Speluncean X

New

Post by Speluncean X » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:53 pm

boardride23 wrote:
Speluncean X wrote:
zeth006 wrote:

How is your GPA a 4.0, but LSDAS GPA a 3.3? That would likely explain the discrepancy (Davis gave you 4.0 money, Loyola 3.3)?
I think that you may be right. I'll pm you the gory details.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:23 pm

Another day gone by with nothing...

lawlife2010

New

Post by lawlife2010 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:27 pm

In today via e-mail about the admitted students day!!!
I'm surprised since it took so long to hear back from them! I got my app in like a day before the final day.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:42 pm

zeth006 wrote:Another day gone by with nothing...
+1.

Congrats on the acceptance, lawlife2010.

sunnygirl

Bronze

Post by sunnygirl » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:10 pm

Got email about the Open House. Just admitted. It is a long wait since I applied in late Oct. No indication of any scholarship. GL to everyone waiting~

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:11 pm

lawlife2010 wrote:In today via e-mail about the admitted students day!!!
I'm surprised since it took so long to hear back from them! I got my app in like a day before the final day.
Congratulations. I think I got my app in the same day. But I just went under evaluation 2 days ago, so who knows how long I'll be waiting.

cali gal

New

Post by cali gal » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:45 am

lawlife2010 wrote:In today via e-mail about the admitted students day!!!
Congratulations! Is Davis your first choice?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”