UC Davis

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
yo!

Re: UC Davis

Postby yo! » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:36 pm

You are looking at numbers for admitted students. Actual matriculant numbers are much lower. The 75th is 163 I believe. Also, I misread your post and thought you said "current UC Davis SENATOR" rather than senior. Either way, your WL surprses me.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:44 pm

missinglink wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:Anyone know whether sending LOCIs and supplementary LOR is acceptable to UCD's adcomms?

I can't say for sure whether they are entirely appropriate. My gut sense is that they are, as long as it is professional and succinct. Schools are more likely to take people off the WL that they think are still committed to going to the school. What does the school say about additional materials in the WL letter?

I would wait until after the deposit deadline to send it in, though. Since there are still a number of people awaiting their initial decision, it's going to be a while before they return to the waitlist.

If you have some time, this thread from last year regarding the WL might be useful: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69810

Thanks man. My gut sense tells me the same thing. Conservative is good in this context. Some folks say that you should send them anything that may help you (W&M actually says so themselves on their website), but on the other hand, adcomms are extremely busy folks.
The WL letter doesn't address anything about supplementary materials, but it ominously says, "all available information is in this letter.", in bold font like I've just done. This tells me that they either can't or aren't willing to give out any more info. about waitlist sizes, movement, etc... But it's hard to imagine I couldn't get an answer from them if I emailed them my question. I mean, it's basically like the unenumerated powers! What's implied in the WL letter, and what isn't.

I'll wait until mid-April before sending them my first correspondence. Thanks for the advice.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:48 pm

yo! wrote:You are looking at numbers for admitted students. Actual matriculant numbers are much lower. The 75th is 163 I believe. Also, I misread your post and thought you said "current UC Davis SENATOR" rather than senior. Either way, your WL surprises me.

Hey man, I know, I know. But who matriculates doesn't seem as relevant to many who would like to know what it takes to be offered admission period, irrespective of what admitted student movement happens after that fact. And, I can matriculate only if I am offered admission. So, to me, in this moment, percentiles for admission are exactly what matters to me with any of the schools I applied to. The matriculated stats may be more relevant on the back-end, when schools do LSAC reporting or firms do hiring. Not trying to be pedantic here (although I usually am without trying).

Ironically, being a ASUCD Senator may have given me a bump to admission LoL.

foxyeconomist

Postby foxyeconomist » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:29 pm

Hmmm. I qualified for $10k in grant money at Hastings and $0 at Davis. What's up with that? Anyone else? This is frustrating because I spend last year doing volunteer work in the states and abroad and I have a whopping $1500 in checking/savings/investments.

Anyway, good luck to all of you waiting. I'm still waiting on four schools so I can empathize.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:33 pm

foxyeconomist wrote:Hmmm. I qualified for $10k in grant money at Hastings and $0 at Davis. What's up with that? Anyone else? This is frustrating because I spend last year doing volunteer work in the states and abroad and I have a whopping $1500 in checking/savings/investments.

Maybe your offer from Davis is not yet finalized?

foxyeconomist

Postby foxyeconomist » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:48 pm

drdolittle wrote:
foxyeconomist wrote:Hmmm. I qualified for $10k in grant money at Hastings and $0 at Davis. What's up with that? Anyone else? This is frustrating because I spend last year doing volunteer work in the states and abroad and I have a whopping $1500 in checking/savings/investments.

I emailed their financial aid office to confirm. There are so many different websites, I checked the My Awards site. Is there somewhere else I should look?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:04 pm

foxyeconomist wrote:
drdolittle wrote:

I emailed their financial aid office to confirm. There are so many different websites, I checked the My Awards site. Is there somewhere else I should look?

MyAwards should display the official offer as far as I know, but there are examples on this thread of people getting extra money unexpectedly for whatever reason so I'd at least write them for a counter offer considering your Hastings grant. It's not like they can give you any less...and Hastings is a peer school after all.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:09 pm

Anyway, good luck to all of you waiting. I'm still waiting on four schools so I can empathize.

That is definitely weird. Hastings gave me the same that they gave you alot more than that from Davis. I'd check and make sure they didn't mess up.

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:11 pm

Finally evaluation in progress!!!

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:23 pm

hellokitty wrote:Finally evaluation in progress!!!

Congrats!!!

When did you go complete?

Stuck in Awaiting Evaluation since 2/5

Good luck. :mrgreen: I'm a senior at Davis. It's a great campus!

adonai

Postby adonai » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:41 pm

Congrats~ Enjoy the 2+ months to get to decision :D

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:46 pm

phoenix323 wrote:

Congrats!!!

When did you go complete?

Stuck in Awaiting Evaluation since 2/5

Good luck. :mrgreen: I'm a senior at Davis. It's a great campus!

I went complete 2/22!

yo!

Postby yo! » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:19 am

I think we will start seeing some serious movement during the early part of next week. There are a shitload of withdrawls on LSN, so I can at least be happy about that :)

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:27 am

yo! wrote:I think we will start seeing some serious movement during the early part of next week. There are a shitload of withdrawls on LSN, so I can at least be happy about that :)

no joke, it almost looks like there are as many withdrawals as remaining acceptances! (those who haven't withdrawn yet).

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:48 am

yo! wrote:I think we will start seeing some serious movement during the early part of next week. There are a shitload of withdrawls on LSN, so I can at least be happy about that :)

Good stuff. I just noticed that too.

The wait continues. :D

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:49 am

lateforthesky16 wrote:

no joke, it almost looks like there are as many withdrawals as remaining acceptances! (those who haven't withdrawn yet).

20/60 of the acceptances are withdrawals. :) Yes, I counted. My application cycle OCD is in overdrive right now. I really hope you're right about movement in the near future!

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:52 am

J Burrito wrote:
lateforthesky16 wrote:

20/60 of the acceptances are withdrawals. :) Yes, I counted. My application cycle OCD is in overdrive right now. I really hope you're right about movement in the near future!

But how many acceptances are there total? Could be the only 20 withdrawals out of 500+ total acceptances...now that wouldn't mean much lol. Doesn't the fact that there are some waitlists (most of which are all highly qualified to be admits) signify that most if not all initial acceptances have been given out?

yo!

Postby yo! » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:56 am

adonai wrote:
J Burrito wrote:
lateforthesky16 wrote:

But how many acceptances are there total? Could be the only 20 withdrawals out of 500+ total acceptances...now that wouldn't mean much lol. Doesn't the fact that there are some waitlists (most of which are all highly qualified to be admits) signify that most if not all initial acceptances have been given out?

buzzkill!

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:59 am

adonai wrote:
J Burrito wrote:
lateforthesky16 wrote:

You could very well be correct, but it's still 20 seats that will be opening up. They supposedly accept ~1000 students per year, so who knows what the exact figures are. I'm just trying to stay optimistic, despite it becoming increasingly difficult as 6:00:25 passes each day with nothing.

yo!

Postby yo! » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:05 am

I actually meant the week that begins on the 19th, but I wouldn't mind being plesantly surprised on next week :D

LSHPFL10

Postby LSHPFL10 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:11 am

I apologize if this has already been addressed, or if this could be answered elsewhere, but what is (are) the seat deposit(s) for UC-Davis?

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:12 am

Sorry guys, I'm a natural pessimist. I could be wrong and Davis could just be playing it ultra safe /conservative with the admits. Too many what-ifs!!

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:53 am

Went complete 1/25 and still haven't received my initial decision. I'd be VERY surprised if they don't let me know before April 15th..it just doesn't make sense.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:10 am

a

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:12 am

LSHPFL10 wrote:I apologize if this has already been addressed, or if this could be answered elsewhere, but what is (are) the seat deposit(s) for UC-Davis?

1st is due April 15th or 3 weeks from acceptance
2nd is due in June sometime.

Dont remember the cost, i think 250 for the first

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”