UC Davis

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
General Tso

Re: UC Davis

Postby General Tso » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:55 pm

finalaspects wrote:
bar wrote:How about working at 2 biglaw firms in Northern and Southern Cali for 5 years as Paralegals?! Unless you have a better law firm background than I do, any data you have is hearsay. I have first hand information. Outside of the top 14 and UCLA and USC, no other school places in California's international firms better than Davis. It's not even close.

That is good enough for me. How does Hastings compare with Davis?

Both are solid...career prospects are nearly identical so the choice should really be preferential. Some people like the laid back college town at Davis, others prefer the urban feel of Hastings.

For me, Hastings was the right choice b/c my SO works in the Bay Area. But if I had been single, I would have likely gone with Davis. Law school is stressful enough without having to deal with commutes, bums, etc. BART every day gets to you after a while. But Hastings is fine...profs are great, career services seems adequate.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:20 pm

swheat wrote:Both are solid...career prospects are nearly identical so the choice should really be preferential. Some people like the laid back college town at Davis, others prefer the urban feel of Hastings.

For me, Hastings was the right choice b/c my SO works in the Bay Area. But if I had been single, I would have likely gone with Davis. Law school is stressful enough without having to deal with commutes, bums, etc. BART every day gets to you after a while. But Hastings is fine...profs are great, career services seems adequate.

sadly i think Davis is one of the slowest if not the actual slowest law school for decisions. They said it was an IT issue last year... but i guess we'll soon find out. I am leaning towards Davis over Hastings as well...

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:48 pm

finalaspects wrote:sadly i think Davis is one of the slowest if not the actual slowest law school for decisions. They said it was an IT issue last year... but i guess we'll soon find out. I am leaning towards Davis over Hastings as well...

Davis is pretty slow.... I think I went complete in early Feb and got a decision in mid-April

Hastings was fast for me - went complete in late Jan and accepted 2 weeks later.

brose002

Postby brose002 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:50 pm

How much longer should I have to wait. I have been "evaluation in progress" for at least a week now.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:51 pm

brose002 wrote:How much longer should I have to wait. I have been "evaluation in progress" for at least a week now.

My guess -- 2 to 4 more weeks.

brose002

Postby brose002 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:52 pm

Okay cool. Do you know how they notify?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:53 pm

brose002 wrote:How much longer should I have to wait. I have been "evaluation in progress" for at least a week now.

Hey Brose you and I have almost the exact same stats. I'm on LSN as well. Same city too

Davis seems to accept auto-admits in Dec and then a very few in Jan, and most starting February. This is based on last year's LSN cycle...

except im still "awaiting evaluation" argggg
Last edited by finalaspects on Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:54 pm

brose002 wrote:Okay cool. Do you know how they notify?

Keep checking the online system. When they have made the decision they will post a PDF of your Acceptance or Rejection letter on the online thing. It will say 'click here for admissions decision' or something like that. I remember the link being a little obscure...if you see that your status has changed to Decision Rendered just click around on everything and you will find the PDF. Your mail letter will arrive 2-3 days later.

brose002

Postby brose002 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:56 pm

finalaspects wrote:

Hey Brose you and I have almost the exact same stats. I'm on LSN as well. Same city too

Davis seems to accept auto-admits in Dec and then a very few in Jan, and most starting February. This is based on last year's LSN cycle...

except im still "awaiting evaluation" argggg

sorry to hear that you haven't gone under review yet. Good luck with your cycle.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:57 pm

swheat wrote:Keep checking the online system. When they have made the decision they will post a PDF of your Acceptance or Rejection letter on the online thing. It will say 'click here for admissions decision' or something like that. I remember the link being a little obscure...if you see that your status has changed to Decision Rendered just click around on everything and you will find the PDF. Your mail letter will arrive 2-3 days later.

Hey swheat,

would you know why im still awaiting evaluation? I ask because under the FAQ on davis' site states that they ask you for addendums only if you're in "evaluation in progress" and they asked me for my LSAT increase addendum a while back. but my status is still "awaiting evaluation"....

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:01 pm

brose002 wrote:
sorry to hear that you haven't gone under review yet. Good luck with your cycle.

By the way, is your complete date based on when you went under "evaluation in progress" or "awaiting evaluation"?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:05 pm

finalaspects wrote:
swheat wrote:Keep checking the online system. When they have made the decision they will post a PDF of your Acceptance or Rejection letter on the online thing. It will say 'click here for admissions decision' or something like that. I remember the link being a little obscure...if you see that your status has changed to Decision Rendered just click around on everything and you will find the PDF. Your mail letter will arrive 2-3 days later.

Hey swheat,

would you know why im still awaiting evaluation? I ask because under the FAQ on davis' site states that they ask you for addendums only if you're in "evaluation in progress" and they asked me for my LSAT increase addendum a while back. but my status is still "awaiting evaluation"....

No idea sorry...if you are really concerned about it you should contact Davis. If it were me I'd sit tight...it's still pretty early in the admission cycle.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:07 pm

swheat wrote:No idea sorry...if you are really concerned about it you should contact Davis. If it were me I'd sit tight...it's still pretty early in the admission cycle.

when would you start being concerned?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:08 pm

finalaspects wrote:
swheat wrote:No idea sorry...if you are really concerned about it you should contact Davis. If it were me I'd sit tight...it's still pretty early in the admission cycle.

when would you start being concerned?

Given how slow Davis is, I'd probably be concerned if 2.5 months have passed and you are still awaiting evaluation. If your status hasnt changed by mid February I'd give them a call.

brose002

Postby brose002 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:10 pm

finalaspects wrote:
brose002 wrote:

By the way, is your complete date based on when you went under "evaluation in progress" or "awaiting evaluation"?

That was my awaiting evaluation date

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:12 pm

brose002 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
brose002 wrote:

I've been "evaluation in process" for a couple weeks now.

brose there is a solid chance we end up at the same school, lol

brose002

Postby brose002 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:13 pm

Veritas wrote:
brose002 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
brose002 wrote:

I've been "evaluation in process" for a couple weeks now.

lol yeah, you seem to be a status twin of mine. Im really pulling for Notre Dame though.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:15 pm

brose002 wrote:lol yeah, you seem to be a status twin of mine. Im really pulling for Notre Dame though.

Do you want to practice in CA or end up in the east coast after law school? I ask because of your preference for Notre Dame

brose002

Postby brose002 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:17 pm

finalaspects wrote:
brose002 wrote:lol yeah, you seem to be a status twin of mine. Im really pulling for Notre Dame though.

Do you want to practice in CA or end up in the east coast after law school? I ask because of your preference for Notre Dame

My goal is actually to get into JAG, and then work as an assistant US attorney. So I could do that from pretty much any school I go to. I just like everything that Notre Dame stands for to be honest. Not to mention the campus is beautiful, COL is cheap, and Charlie Weiss is gone.

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:20 am

Been "Evaluation in Progress" since 11/6. Any idea when a decision will come?

OMG IDK TITCR

Postby OMG IDK TITCR » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:54 am

brose002 wrote:
Veritas wrote:I've been "evaluation in process" for a couple weeks now.

lol yeah, you seem to be a status twin of mine. Im really pulling for Notre Dame though.

Ha, I've noticed you're in all the same school threads I'm checking out, too. Just checked out your profile and it looks like you have also applied to twelve of the seventeen schools I applied to. I did not apply to Notre Dame, though. Good luck!

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:15 pm

still In Progress

but has anyone else noticed how nice the status check site interface is compared to that of most schools?

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:19 pm

sdegarmo wrote:still In Progress

but has anyone else noticed how nice the status check site interface is compared to that of most schools?

+1 I also like the notes from the Deans that are updated every so often. It's just too bad they take forever.

aimhigh09

Postby aimhigh09 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:22 pm

I think it's awesome that they post the text of your decision letter as soon as it's mailed. Who wants to wait for snail mail these days anyway.

hellogoodbye1

Postby hellogoodbye1 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:23 pm

Neelio wrote:Been "Evaluation in Progress" since 11/6. Any idea when a decision will come?

+1 maybe a little later. davis is so slow! why would they even say "in progress."

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”