UC Davis

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Inygma

Re: UC Davis

Postby Inygma » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:01 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Mroberts3 wrote:ugg, I've been staying away from status checkers for exactly this reason...now I'm all anxious. I'm under evaluation and would like to think I'm an auto admit (3.5+/165+), but having even one acceptance before Christmas would be awesome.

Also, my odds are looking mediocre based on the discussion over on the UCLA thread so having a Davis acceptance would soften the inevitable "I think we should just be friends" from UCLA.

you survived the first wave of rejections and waitlisting as well it seems. (check your email)

but yea i'm expecting a let's just be friends cliche as well, but it may take a while to heal from the rejection...

GL for Davis!

+1, I am not sure what to do, I am wondering if I should actually study for the LSAT and retake and apply for 2011-2012 year.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Inygma wrote:
finalaspects wrote:you survived the first wave of rejections and waitlisting as well it seems. (check your email)

but yea i'm expecting a let's just be friends cliche as well, but it may take a while to heal from the rejection...

GL for Davis!

+1, I am not sure what to do, I am wondering if I should actually study for the LSAT and retake and apply for 2011-2012 year.

If you believe you can get at least a 168 or higher than you would most likely be an auto admit. get 170 or higher and a lot of t14 opens up for you.

bar

Postby bar » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:20 am

superflush wrote:
swheat wrote:
superflush wrote:GW, Notre Dame, Fordham

Yeah those too. But I don't know that they would give you significantly better career prospects in CA than Davis. And they might not be cheaper either.

They'd give you better career prospects overall, and the possibility of CA. Which is cool with me.
And tuition-wise, I think they'd definitely be cheaper. COL in NY & DC is another issue. ND or WUSTL would be cheaper all-around (with no scholly $ factored in).
I'll probably be cool with going to the best school I get into and rolling the dice with career location prospects. If I was adamant about CA, and didn't get into Davis, there is also T2 options in CA.

No way, if you're not T18, you will not have better job prospect in California than Davis. You can quote me on that.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:10 am

bar wrote:
superflush wrote:
swheat wrote:
superflush wrote:GW, Notre Dame, Fordham

Yeah those too. But I don't know that they would give you significantly better career prospects in CA than Davis. And they might not be cheaper either.

They'd give you better career prospects overall, and the possibility of CA. Which is cool with me.
And tuition-wise, I think they'd definitely be cheaper. COL in NY & DC is another issue. ND or WUSTL would be cheaper all-around (with no scholly $ factored in).
I'll probably be cool with going to the best school I get into and rolling the dice with career location prospects. If I was adamant about CA, and didn't get into Davis, there is also T2 options in CA.

No way, if you're not T18, you will not have better job prospect in California than Davis. You can quote me on that.

What about Hastings? Better access to Bay Area internships, etc.

superflush

Postby superflush » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:35 am

bar wrote:
superflush wrote:They'd give you better career prospects overall, and the possibility of CA.

lol, by "overall", I meant overall in the country of America, as opposed to just in California

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:49 am

bar wrote:No way, if you're not T18, you will not have better job prospect in California than Davis. You can quote me on that.

Someone a page or so earlier asked a few lawyers which claimed that notre dame may be better than Davis and Hastings. Notre Dame has a national name with mobility as a lot of people have suggested although it is ranked in the 20s.

bar

Postby bar » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:34 pm

superflush wrote:
bar wrote:
superflush wrote:They'd give you better career prospects overall, and the possibility of CA.

lol, by "overall", I meant overall in the country of America, as opposed to just in California

And I was only referring to the california portion of your argument. Is it that hard to figure out, sherlock?

bar

Postby bar » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:38 pm

finalaspects wrote:
bar wrote:No way, if you're not T18, you will not have better job prospect in California than Davis. You can quote me on that.

Someone a page or so earlier asked a few lawyers which claimed that notre dame may be better than Davis and Hastings. Notre Dame has a national name with mobility as a lot of people have suggested although it is ranked in the 20s.

NO freaking way. Forget about Notre DAme, even BU, BC, Vanderbilt, WUSTL, and to a certain extend Texas, will not have anything on UC Davis in Cali. Not only do California firms have a lot of respect for schools like UC Davis and Hastings, it's also very difficult for someone who didn't go to law school here to pass the California bar. I know quite a few prominent New York lawyers who couldn't pass the Calbar in 3 tries.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:40 pm

bar wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

NO freaking way. Forget about Notre DAme, even BU, BC, Vanderbilt, WUSTL, and to a certain extend Texas, will not have anything on UC Davis in Cali. Not only do California firms have a lot of respect for schools like UC Davis and Hastings, it's also very difficult for someone who didn't go to law school here to pass the California bar. I know quite a few prominent New York lawyers who couldn't pass the Calbar in 3 tries.

Other than not being able to pass the bar exam, what makes you say that notre dame or any of the schools you listed have no chance at being compared to UC Davis?

superflush

Postby superflush » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:02 pm

bar wrote:
superflush wrote:
bar wrote:

And I was only referring to the california portion of your argument. Is it that hard to figure out, sherlock?

That wasn't my argument. Go back and read it. Man, you are moronic.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:56 pm

ITT: counter-productive aggression

superflush

Postby superflush » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:57 pm

NayBoer wrote:ITT: counter-productive aggression

hey, I didn't bring it here.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:18 pm

To get back on topic...

When does everyone think we will hear of the first acceptances? I'm guessing around next week or maybe late this week.

I wonder if they will only accept auto-admits right now and wait until Jan-Apr for the rest.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:33 pm

Inygma wrote:To get back on topic...

When does everyone think we will hear of the first acceptances? I'm guessing around next week or maybe late this week.

I wonder if they will only accept auto-admits right now and wait until Jan-Apr for the rest.

Also, looking at the past few years on LSN, it seems like people around the 163 LSAT mark don't hear until at least February :(

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:28 pm

superflush wrote:

Not you. I meant the guy who apparently trolls for his school by characterizing opinion as fact and calling people names.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:36 pm

Ok, don't tell the USS: Bitter Pessimism thread, but I recently noticed on hourumd that last cycle Davis was way nicer to sub-3.0 applicants.

Last year's cycle, for GPA 2.5-2.95 and LSAT 164-180:

WL, Accepted 164 / 2.7
Rejected 165 / 2.78
Accepted 164 / 2.88
Rejected 165 / 2.9
Accepted 168 / 2.91
WL, Accepted 165 / 2.91

Clicking on profiles, it looks like the acceptances went to those with at least 3 years out of UG. The two rejections were 0-2 years out.

I'm still forecasting a straight rejection for myself, but maybe this info will help somebody else with a more optimistic bent.

bar

Postby bar » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:45 am

finalaspects wrote:
bar wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

Other than not being able to pass the bar exam, what makes you say that notre dame or any of the schools you listed have no chance at being compared to UC Davis?

How about working at 2 biglaw firms in Northern and Southern Cali for 5 years as Paralegals?! Unless you have a better law firm background than I do, any data you have is hearsay. I have first hand information. Outside of the top 14 and UCLA and USC, no other school places in California's international firms better than Davis. It's not even close.

bar

Postby bar » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:48 am

superflush wrote:
bar wrote:
superflush wrote:

I bet you got a 150 on your LSAT. I might be generous. Goddam you're stupid.

bar

Postby bar » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:49 am

NayBoer wrote:
superflush wrote:

Not you. I meant the guy who apparently trolls for his school by characterizing opinion as fact and calling people names.

if it sticks, why not. You're a dick. There, I said it.

mxc

Postby mxc » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:05 am

Way to derail this thread, bar. Congrats.

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:16 am

so... based on last years info we think some admits this week?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:48 am

bar wrote:How about working at 2 biglaw firms in Northern and Southern Cali for 5 years as Paralegals?! Unless you have a better law firm background than I do, any data you have is hearsay. I have first hand information. Outside of the top 14 and UCLA and USC, no other school places in California's international firms better than Davis. It's not even close.

That is good enough for me. How does Hastings compare with Davis?

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:54 pm

After seeing this thread trainwreck, I am not so sure our TLS Davis Class of 2012 is looking like a good group.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:58 pm

Neelio wrote:so... based on last years info we think some admits this week?

are you "awaiting evaluation" or "evaluation in progress"?

superflush

Postby superflush » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:29 pm

bar wrote:
superflush wrote:
bar wrote:
superflush wrote:lol, by "overall", I meant overall in the country of America, as opposed to just in California

I bet you got a 150 on your LSAT. I might be generous. Goddam you're stupid.

All I am saying is that my argument was not that ND, WUSTL, Fordham, or GW had better career prospects than Davis or Hastings in California ... but rather that ND, WUSTL, Fordham, or GW have better career prospects than Davis & Hastings overall (meaning irrespective of location). You seem to have completely misconstrued what I wrote. That is why I was suggesting that you go back and read it again. Man, you're a fucking troll. Is English not your first language?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”