UC Davis

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AgentSCo

Re: UC Davis

Postby AgentSCo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:53 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:Congrats to those who got in. When did you guys go complete?

I went complete on November 13th.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Veritas wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:haha yeah of course. I just feel like an a-hole who went complete mid Jan freaking out about not getting any word yet, while you waited 2 months longer than I did. :?

nah, don't worry about it. You still applied quite a while ago (and I would be antsy too!!)

lol thanks, so my feelings are still relatively rational. What's your top choice now?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:04 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:
Veritas wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:haha yeah of course. I just feel like an a-hole who went complete mid Jan freaking out about not getting any word yet, while you waited 2 months longer than I did. :?

nah, don't worry about it. You still applied quite a while ago (and I would be antsy too!!)

lol thanks, so my feelings are still relatively rational. What's your top choice now?

great question. :lol:

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:47 pm

AgentSCo wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:Congrats to those who got in. When did you guys go complete?

hmm maybe they are doing it by complete date... I went complete late November.

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:56 pm

Man I APPLIED in Nov. but I didn't go complete until the end of January. I think I'm doomed to waiting forever...

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:57 pm

Inygma wrote:
AgentSCo wrote:

hmm maybe they are doing it by complete date... I went complete late November.

oh....that's a thought. Maybe!

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:59 pm

calgal17 wrote:Man I APPLIED in Nov. but I didn't go complete until the end of January. I think I'm doomed to waiting forever...

Doesn't Davis say they'll have all decisions out by April 1? I think that might be the case... just a few more weeks. you'll hear soon enough

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:02 pm

Neelio wrote:
calgal17 wrote:Man I APPLIED in Nov. but I didn't go complete until the end of January. I think I'm doomed to waiting forever...

Doesn't Davis say they'll have all decisions out by April 1? I think that might be the case... just a few more weeks. you'll hear soon enough

They definitely have been speeding it up since late Feb-Early March.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:07 pm

Neelio wrote:

Really? April 1st? I'd be surprised, and that's not being critical of the school, I just think most schools will have to go to the April 15th deadline.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:10 pm

Does your email/password for the status check work on the addmited students link for those of you who were accepted?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:12 pm

Inygma wrote:Does your email/password for the status check work on the addmited students link for those of you who were accepted?

YES! just found that out this morning :)

(does yours work!?)

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:14 pm

Inygma wrote:Does your email/password for the status check work on the addmited students link for those of you who were accepted?

Yup.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:21 pm

Veritas wrote:

YES! just found that out this morning :)

(does yours work!?)

Nope lol, its pretty brutal also. I tried it and in red letters it says "This is for admitted students only" Maybe it is the color that makes it sound evil!

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:02 pm

Neelio wrote:

If that's true, then I'll stop complaining. A few more weeks isn't that big of deal. But they would have to get a LOT of work done between now and then if they're really only up to Nov. completes.

haider

Postby haider » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:18 pm

Did any other admitted students get this e-mail? I just want to know how generic it is...

"I am pleased to inform you that a preliminary analysis of your Need Access application indicates you will likely qualify for $23,000 in grant aid for academic year 2010-2011. In addition to grant aid it appears you will likely qualify for $22,500 in low interest federal loans. "

adonai

Postby adonai » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:01 pm

calgal17 wrote:
Neelio wrote:

If that's true, then I'll stop complaining. A few more weeks isn't that big of deal. But they would have to get a LOT of work done between now and then if they're really only up to Nov. completes.

Not April 1, but all the way THROUGH April. Which means it could be April 30th.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:02 pm

haider wrote:Did any other admitted students get this e-mail? I just want to know how generic it is...

"I am pleased to inform you that a preliminary analysis of your Need Access application indicates you will likely qualify for $23,000 in grant aid for academic year 2010-2011. In addition to grant aid it appears you will likely qualify for $22,500 in low interest federal loans. "

not yet, I was just admitted. But I'm hoping for something similar.

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:03 pm

haider wrote:Did any other admitted students get this e-mail? I just want to know how generic it is...

Got a similar email earlier this week (the numbers were a little different)... they come in order that the Financial Aid department got your Need Access form. If you have questions about it just call the fin aid office and ask for Lawrence. He is extremely helpful.

haider

Postby haider » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:10 pm

Neelio wrote:

Got a similar email earlier this week (the numbers were a little different)... they come in order that the Financial Aid department got your Need Access form. If you have questions about it just call the fin aid office and ask for Lawrence. He is extremely helpful.

Do you know if these numbers are anywhere near what you will actually get? It seems like $23,000 in grants is a lot?!?

jahallc

Postby jahallc » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:03 pm

haider wrote:
Neelio wrote:

Do you know if these numbers are anywhere near what you will actually get? It seems like $23,000 in grants is a lot?!?

When you consider the estimated cost of attendance per academic year, $23,000 is a sizable portion. I don't think, however, it's A LOT. I can't recall their estimated budget for the 2010-2011 academic year, but for someone out-of-state, it's in the mid 60,000s. So, that still leaves 40,000+ per year to pay back in loans. I am wanting to say this is 10-15,000 dollars above average for the amount of debt accrued after graduation for UC Davis students. Anyway, I think it seems about right for someone with parents like my own. I don't know your financial situation, though. FWIW.

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:11 pm

jahallc wrote:
haider wrote:
Neelio wrote:

When you consider the estimated cost of attendance per academic year, $23,000 is a sizable portion. I don't think, however, it's A LOT. I can't recall their estimated budget for the 2010-2011 academic year, but for someone out-of-state, it's in the mid 60,000s. So, that still leaves 40,000+ per year to pay back in loans. I am wanting to say this is 10-15,000 dollars above average for the amount of debt accrued after graduation for UC Davis students. Anyway, I think it seems about right for someone with parents like my own. I don't know your financial situation, though. FWIW.

stupid question here, but: are grants like these usually renewable? I got a similar email (but for less money, sadly), and I'm really curious about this. thanks!

jahallc

Postby jahallc » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:21 pm

stupid question here, but: are grants like these usually renewable? I got a similar email (but for less money, sadly), and I'm really curious about this. thanks!

It's based on your financial situation, so I imagine as long as that stays the same throughout law school, you'll likely receive a similar number.

davis3l

Postby davis3l » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:26 pm

Would one of you fine new admits send me the e-mail/password for the admitted students site? I'd just like to snoop around to see what's on it.

blueberrymuffin

Postby blueberrymuffin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:27 pm

lateforthesky16 wrote:stupid question here, but: are grants like these usually renewable? I got a similar email (but for less money, sadly), and I'm really curious about this. thanks!

This is not a stupid question. Most schools give renewable 3 year grants, but others require you to redo the NA each year. Everybody has to do the FAFSA each year. UC Davis' website says:

"You must reapply for financial aid for each academic year. There is no assurance that aid will be awarded in the same types and amounts from year to year. If our funding levels permit and if your own personal resources do not change, aid usually continues at the same level each year."

However, their instructions for continuing students only mentions filling out the FAFSA- not the NA form. Their official financial aid letter should say if the grant is renewable or if you have to apply each year.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:08 pm

Veritas wrote:AHH! In! :D :D

(feeling very humbled this week)

Wooo, Ver!!!

Congrats. How do they stack up against UCI?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”