UC Davis Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zeth006

Silver

Re: UC Davis

Post by zeth006 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:16 pm

Last edited by zeth006 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J Burrito

Bronze

Post by J Burrito » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:22 pm

swheat wrote:
J Burrito wrote:
swheat wrote:
What difference does it make what school I go to? Does it make my criticism any less valid? I could have posted the same thing in a Duke, Arizona State, Chapman, etc. thread.

To the extent any of us believe that pre-law students should have an objective source for information about which law school to attend, I think we should all be alarmed about these kind of irregularities, regardless if it is our school who is creating the irregularity.
You're right, pre-law students do need objective sources to help make decisions on which school to attend. USNWR is a source, a single source amongst a plethora of other sources for students to consider. Sure, a lot of weight is put on these rankings, and since the factors USNWR considers may disproportionately favor certain schools over others , maybe you should blame USNWR for that. If they can't create a consistent system where schools are judged on an even playing field and this "gaming the rankings", as you call it, runs rampant, how credible of a source is it?

Duke cited that 100% of grads had jobs at graduation. Come on, we all know that's a stretch! There's definitely irregularities in the system, it's not perfect, we know. Perhaps you should start your own anti-USNWR thread and stop bashing our school. We're all pretty excited to be going to Davis next year (or the thought of it) and we don't need you to rain on our parade because of your dissatisfaction for the rankings.

Thanks!
First, thank you for taking my argument seriously and not dismissing me or insulting me because of the school I attend. Second, you guys should all absolutely be proud of attending Davis. The school is great, and you are all fortunate to have been admitted. This kind of USNWR manipulation is not limited to Davis, as you mention very well regarded schools like Duke and ASU have done similar things this year. I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade...if I were under different circumstances I probably would have been happy to attend Davis as well.

I will leave this thread...if anybody wants to know the reasons for my anger on this, shoot me a PM or read one of the several other threads on this topic.
I can empathize with your frustration and I recognize you weren't bashing UC Davis, per se. You don't have to leave the thread, we all appreciate your insight on the Davis/Hastings decision! I know plenty of people are upset about the rankings, and rightfully so in some situations! We just prefer this thread to be the optimistic and positive gathering place for impatient UCD applicants that it's been throughout this cycle. :) Thanks swheat!

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:43 pm

It's somewhat presumptuous to assume that this stat-padding game is limited to just a few bad apples and that there's a bastion of schools who're united together as a benevolent front against the evil scourge of bloated rankingism. I don't think we could have a civil discussion on this topic without at least going over how points are awarded to each school.

And honestly? I'd say it's better that we put aside this topic for a separate thread. If the stories I've heard from my friends hold a grain of truth, there's plenty of dirt to be found on the kind of practices many of your most prestigious schools utilize to keep their ranking #'s high. I won't mention any names lest we turn this into a flame war. But let's just say it's best we end this discussion. Like now.

vijemi

New

Post by vijemi » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:47 pm

Has anyone tried emailing the financial aid office? If so, how long did it take for you to get a response? I am still pending but I just realized I totally whiffed on completing the Need Access application... Wondering if I still have time to fill it out.

taq

New

Post by taq » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:31 pm

pegleg wrote:
taq wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:
primusux wrote:
I just checked my status.. and I GOT IN TOO!!!
hurray!!!!!
:D

164/no GPA (international)
Hey,

When did your app go complete? Thanks for letting me know.
hey,

I forgot exactly when I went complete.. but I think it was 2 or 3 weeks after I submitted. I submitted in late October.

are you still waiting for them? Good luck!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

J Burrito

Bronze

Post by J Burrito » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:59 pm

vijemi wrote:Has anyone tried emailing the financial aid office? If so, how long did it take for you to get a response? I am still pending but I just realized I totally whiffed on completing the Need Access application... Wondering if I still have time to fill it out.
Fill it out and email them ASAP. At the ASD, the head financial aid guy said to complete the Need Access app and email them if you missed the March 2nd deadline. You should be fine!

ViP

Bronze

Post by ViP » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:21 pm

foosh wrote:If Irvine belongs at 28, Davis definitely belongs at 28 or higher. I don't think they gamed the rankings, UC Davis is an excellent school.
Non sequitur FTW.

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:22 pm

Still 'eval in progress'...what a shock.

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:31 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:40 pm

Matteliszt wrote:
+1,000,000

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:38 pm

hellokitty wrote:Still 'eval in progress'...what a shock.

rodewan

Bronze

Post by rodewan » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:03 am

hellokitty wrote:Still 'eval in progress'...what a shock.
i kno! arrrgh

gatorlion

Bronze

Post by gatorlion » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:28 am

calgal17 wrote:
gatorlion wrote:Just withdrew. I hope my acceptance opens up a spot for one of you deserving individuals. Good luck!
Where did you choose to go?
I decided to stay and finish my PhD in Political Science and then decide whether I want to reapply in 2012. Best of luck to you in law school!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:45 am

Davis do deposits online, or through the mail?

Just curious how quickly they will know whether there are more admits to hand out.

calgal17

Bronze

Post by calgal17 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:46 am

missinglink wrote:Davis do deposits online, or through the mail?

Just curious how quickly they will know whether there are more admits to hand out.
It's online through the admitted students site.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:14 am

calgal17 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Hope that means something quick for those of us in 'under evaluation' hell.

calgal17

Bronze

Post by calgal17 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:20 am

missinglink wrote:
calgal17 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Hope that means something quick for those of us in 'under evaluation' hell.
I hope they will end your purgatory soon!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jockin Jay-Z

Bronze

Post by Jockin Jay-Z » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:45 am

missinglink wrote:
dontworrybehappy wrote:
zeth006 wrote:I myself am torn between sending them a LOCI-like e-mail telling them I'm dropping $250 for a safety school that later might turn out to be money wasted. On the other hand, I'm a bit wary of coming off strong and eliciting an unfavorable admissions decision from a red-faced adcomm officer.

Whaddya guys think? Send an e-mail now, or just wait? It seems like a decent number of people are getting decisions rendered in record time after sending e-mails. I shudder at the thought of waiting until the middle of August while I'll already have paid rent and incurred other nonrefundable costs at my safety.
Just be firm, but polite and diplomatic. They obviously aren't doing a good job if it's taking as long as this. I mean, I don't know about you guys but I don't live in a grove of money trees. So, what do you have to lose?
Money trees are pretty sweet. 8)

In all seriousness, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a decision after a reasonable amount of time. Especially with deposit deadlines coming up. Just be polite but frank. This is a two way road here.

Still waiting for an ASD report from those that attended. Or is it still going on? I just finished with UA's ASD, but sort of wish I were at Davis. Certainly a fallback option if I strike out in California that I think I could be happy with.
Loved the campus, even if it is too huge. The professors (Vik Amar, the other Indian dude, and the tax law dude) who spoke seemed razor-sharp. The ASD content itself was disappointing in that you learned little you couldn't get off the internet. Obviously, we didn't see the new facilities, but I'm guessing they'll be pretty sweet, considering how nice the rest of campus is. Much nicer atmosphere than at Hastings ASD, where I felt a bit like a customer at the DMV, rather than an admitted student--I'm guessing this is a byproduct of Davis's smaller size.

The job placement (16% or so in NLJ250 firms) won't come close to justifying the enormous cost of attendance for me (better schools have offered me merit aid resulting in a much lower COA); discounting the financial factor, though, I could easily see myself going to King Hall and loving it.

On the Hastings/Davis dilemma many are facing, I'd give Davis the edge. But if you really want to be in San Francisco, the advantages I feel Davis has are slight.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:01 am

For those of you waiting, I did not find out until about this time last year. Just wait and watch. Good things will come.

foosh

New

Post by foosh » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:28 am

I'm not even under evaluation yet but I applied late January. Anybody else with a complete application but not under eval yet?

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:14 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:For those of you waiting, I did not find out until about this time last year. Just wait and watch. Good things will come.
Hope so. :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rodewan

Bronze

Post by rodewan » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:26 am

I hope so also, thanks for the words of encouragement, softboiledlife!

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:27 am

I'm crossing my fingers for some movement tonight! I'm so impatient.

cyberPUNK

New

Post by cyberPUNK » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:36 pm

What are people's thoughts on emailing the link to a blog I maintain in my off time to the admissions office? It's related to my undergrad. major and personal interests which I mentioned extensively in my personal statement.

Here it is: http://www.dddreamland.com

boardride23

New

Post by boardride23 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:18 pm

cyberPUNK wrote:What are people's thoughts on emailing the link to a blog I maintain in my off time to the admissions office? It's related to my undergrad. major and personal interests which I mentioned extensively in my personal statement.

Here it is: http://www.dddreamland.com
Don't want to be a buzzkill, but unless its phrased as a LOCI they probably won't care. They haven't found the time to send a one line response to our emails (or even generic response), so they won't have time to look at your blog. Every applicant has their own impressive hobbies and what-not, if you mentioned it in your PS I would just leave it at that and not risk annoying them. It's a nice blog and all, but unless you just won some award for it, I just wouldn't do it... just my $.02 though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”