UC Davis Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jks289

Silver

Re: UC Davis

Post by jks289 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:59 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
foxyeconomist wrote:PunjabiLower,

I couldn't find you on LSN. Have you heard back from any schools? Part of me wonders if it is a problem with your LOR or PS. Because if I were a California school, I'd be jumping to get an Indian from Georgia, especially if you have the numbers.
3.84, 162 from UC berkeley...the problem is I am only 19. I think that killed me. I have minimal work experience. However, my PS and softs seemed pretty good. I think it's either my age or one of my LORs. I don't think any of my recommenders would do that to me though. Seems like a dick move. I'm just hoping for either davis or fordham PT. If not, I'll have to wait 2 years and take the LSAT again. :(
It's your age. Take a few years to do something else. Raise your LSAT and then go to school. 19 is crazy young for law school.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:06 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
foxyeconomist wrote:PunjabiLower,

I couldn't find you on LSN. Have you heard back from any schools? Part of me wonders if it is a problem with your LOR or PS. Because if I were a California school, I'd be jumping to get an Indian from Georgia, especially if you have the numbers.
3.84, 162 from UC berkeley...the problem is I am only 19. I think that killed me. I have minimal work experience. However, my PS and softs seemed pretty good. I think it's either my age or one of my LORs. I don't think any of my recommenders would do that to me though. Seems like a dick move. I'm just hoping for either davis or fordham PT. If not, I'll have to wait 2 years and take the LSAT again. :(

At 19, you have plenty of time to spend to develop your resume. You should consider interning at some firm where you believe you might have a decent shot at moving up. Most people at your age are off partying without even a mere thought to their law school!

EDIT: If I were in your position, I'd land a part-time job somewhere. If not, a fulltime job with some firm. It'll be tough in this economy, but gotta do what you can. If you're living with the old folks, your income situation should be eased somewhat. If you can, try to raise your LSAT. Most people aren't applying until they're 21/22. You have time. Use it!

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:34 pm

Veritas wrote:AHH! In! :D :D

(feeling very humbled this week)
I am very jealous of your awesome week, but CONGRATS nonetheless.

BoomBoom1986

Bronze

Post by BoomBoom1986 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:45 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote:Does anyone know where I can find the out of state fees/tuition for next year?

Also, isn't it pretty easy to get in-state tuition for the 2L and 3L years?
Anyone?

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:58 pm

3.78 / 163 + MA and various extracurriculars

Current Status: Application File Complete - Awaiting Evaluation

Complete since 2/4. Davis is a top choice. Unlike a lot of people, I like cow country. :)

Getting a bit nervous, though, that it's still awaiting evaluation. I was hoping to have some firm idea by March. Still waiting on Hastings, too. I also got a bit spooked seeing that they straight dinged PunjabiLower with stats similar to mine.

I think age had to be the factor there.

PunjabiLower: I'm curious, how old were you when you started undergrad? You do a full 4 years? You certainly have more focus than I did at 19. I wasn't even considering law school at that point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:03 am

BoomBoom1986 wrote:
BoomBoom1986 wrote:Does anyone know where I can find the out of state fees/tuition for next year?

Anyone?
Pretty easy to get in state residency.

Here's a link to some tables with the proposed tuition for the coming years, with typical ATL commentary:

--LinkRemoved--

Link to the whole report: http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/r ... v09/f2.pdf

jahallc

New

Post by jahallc » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:15 am

Congrats, Veritas! I'm excited for you =)! How does your list of prospective schools look now? If I recall correctly, didn't you get some money from BU?

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:27 am

jahallc wrote:

Congrats, Veritas! I'm excited for you =)! How does your list of prospective schools look now? If I recall correctly, didn't you get some money from BU?
Thank you!

I do have a nice offer from BU, at this point I'm just taking it all in and weighing different factors as I wait for my last few schools to get back to me.

calgal17

Bronze

Post by calgal17 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:48 am

Wowie what a week for you! Congrats man!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

katalatriste

New

Post by katalatriste » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:57 am

congrats to all that got in today! :D

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:23 am

missinglink wrote:3.78 / 163 + MA and various extracurriculars

Complete since 2/4. Davis is a top choice. Unlike a lot of people, I like cow country. :)

Getting a bit nervous, though, that it's still awaiting evaluation. I was hoping to have some firm idea by March. Still waiting on Hastings, too. I also got a bit spooked seeing that they straight dinged PunjabiLower with stats similar to mine.

PunjabiLower: I'm curious, how old were you when you started undergrad? You do a full 4 years? You certainly have more focus than I did at 19. I wasn't even considering law school at that point.
it's either my age or the fact that hastings cut down on class size this year. I started college at 18 and finished at 19. I got a BA degree in 2 years. I didn't sound like an immature "kid" in my PS or through my resume. I had some pretty decent softs and some work experience. I hope that age alone didn't make me a ding at a "strong consider" school. You have a good shot though.

calgal17

Bronze

Post by calgal17 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:38 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
missinglink wrote:3.78 / 163 + MA and various extracurriculars

it's either my age or the fact that hastings cut down on class size this year. I started college at 18 and finished at 19. I got a BA degree in 2 years. I didn't sound like an immature "kid" in my PS or through my resume. I had some pretty decent softs and some work experience. I hope that age alone didn't make me a ding at a "strong consider" school. You have a good shot though.
How/why would you do such a thing??

AgentSCo

New

Post by AgentSCo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:09 pm

In at UCD!

Side note: does anybody know when they would send scholarship information? Do they allude to a possible scholarship in the acceptance letter?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BoomBoom1986

Bronze

Post by BoomBoom1986 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:13 pm

missinglink wrote:
BoomBoom1986 wrote:

Anyone?
Pretty easy to get in state residency.

Here's a link to some tables with the proposed tuition for the coming years, with typical ATL commentary:

--LinkRemoved--

Link to the whole report: http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/r ... v09/f2.pdf

Hmmm, the ability to get in-state tuition is great. Plus, I just got an email today that claims I, "will likely qualify for $10,000 in grant aid for academic year 2010-2011." Nice. It's been my dream to attend Hastings for two years now (and I'm in), but for a variety of reasons (obviously not getting in-state tuition, b/c I could get that there, too) I'm starting to really like Davis. Anybody have any thoughts on the Davis vs. Hastings debate?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:20 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote: Hmmm, the ability to get in-state tuition is great. Plus, I just got an email today that claims I, "will likely qualify for $10,000 in grant aid for academic year 2010-2011." Nice. It's been my dream to attend Hastings for two years now (and I'm in), but for a variety of reasons (obviously not getting in-state tuition, b/c I could get that there, too) I'm starting to really like Davis. Anybody have any thoughts on the Davis vs. Hastings debate?
placement and education seem to be identical
SF>Davis, but in Davis you get the benefits of a UG (social plus amenities, I presume the student gyms at Davis are much better for example) Davis is also cheaper.

Pick a location you think will be more beneficial to you. I picked Hastings because they accepted me, and because I think I wanted to try living in an urban environment. If UC Davis accepted me before Hastings I probably would have gone to Davis.

Any who, I don't think you can really go wrong, since they seems to have the same net benefit (but in slightly different areas), make a choice, be confident and don't look back.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blueberrymuffin

New

Post by blueberrymuffin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:22 pm

AgentSCo wrote:In at UCD!

Side note: does anybody know when they would send scholarship information? Do they allude to a possible scholarship in the acceptance letter?
I believe that the scholarship info would be included in the letter (I didn't get any $$). The financial aid sheet on the right side of the folder says:

"Recipients [of scholarships] are determined during the evaluation of the admission application and notified at the time of admission or shortly thereafter by the Admission Office."

But I think people have been mentioning that they've received their scholarships in the letter. I haven't heard otherwise.

AgentSCo

New

Post by AgentSCo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:26 pm

blueberrymuffin wrote:
AgentSCo wrote:In at UCD!

I believe that the scholarship info would be included in the letter (I didn't get any $$). The financial aid sheet on the right side of the folder says:

"Recipients [of scholarships] are determined during the evaluation of the admission application and notified at the time of admission or shortly thereafter by the Admission Office."

But I think people have been mentioning that they've received their scholarships in the letter. I haven't heard otherwise.
Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AgentSCo

New

Post by AgentSCo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:28 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote: placement and education seem to be identical
SF>Davis, but in Davis you get the benefits of a UG (social plus amenities, I presume the student gyms at Davis are much better for example) Davis is also cheaper.
The student gyms at Davis ARE really nice! They finished construction of their new gym about five or six years ago, and it's a really nice facility.
Last edited by AgentSCo on Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:30 pm

Congrats to those who got in. When did you guys go complete?

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:32 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:Congrats to those who got in. When did you guys go complete?
around 11/12 - had been under eval since late Nov, I think :|

Island Girl

Bronze

Post by Island Girl » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:39 pm

Wow! Congrats to those who were accepted this week! I hope my number's called although i think it's still a long shot. I would loooove to stay in Norcal. My family's here, my boyfriend, my best friends...my life! haha. Good luck to everyone! Sending out good vibes to the universe might make the stars like me... :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:42 pm

Veritas wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:Congrats to those who got in. When did you guys go complete?
I'm sorry for your long wait.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:44 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:
Veritas wrote:
I'm sorry for your long wait.
lol, you better be being sarcastic!

worth the wait! :mrgreen:

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:47 pm

haha yeah of course. I just feel like an a-hole who went complete mid Jan freaking out about not getting any word yet, while you waited 2 months longer than I did. :?

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:52 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:haha yeah of course. I just feel like an a-hole who went complete mid Jan freaking out about not getting any word yet, while you waited 2 months longer than I did. :?
nah, don't worry about it. You still applied quite a while ago (and I would be antsy too!!)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”