UC Davis Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tommytahoe

Silver

Re: UC Davis

Post by tommytahoe » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:55 pm

WL today. 163/3.82. Complete: 01/14.

I did not feel entitled to be accepted here. But, I was surprised by this. Has this been normal this cycle? Does the huge boost in applications have anything to do with it?

I was already leaning Hastings over Davis by a good amount. But I'm worried now, with a handful of Waitlists, and not enough safeties. Hmmm...

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:07 am

That's a bit surprising, and it has me worried, since were're pretty much number twins.

How were your softs, your PS, your LORs?

You already in Hastings?

Sorry to hear about the waitlist. You could try to stick it out on the WL if Davis is a top choice. I think this year schools may be relying more on the waitlist than is usual.

brose002

Bronze

Post by brose002 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:19 am

WL today. Not a big deal, considering I was going to withdraw anyway. I do find it funny that the letter says Fall 2009 though. Oh well.

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:24 am

missinglink wrote:That's a bit surprising, and it has me worried, since were're pretty much number twins.

You already in Hastings?

Sorry to hear about the waitlist. You could try to stick it out on the WL if Davis is a top choice. I think this year schools may be relying more on the waitlist than is usual.
Softs are average: school newspaper, DC internship, merit schollies, etc... Wrote a risky but (if I can say) powerful PS about drug arrest in 2003 + DHS trying to deport me 3 years later because of it. Great story, well written, and it truly got me where I am today. But, who knows how adcomms react. LORs were good, but not earth-shattering ( I guess... never read 'em) I am 37 also.

Surprising b/c I'm a permanent resident and the internship in DC was with ABA Immigration Division, and I mentioned all of this in the PS, specifically singling out Davis's great imm. law clinic.
So, threshold LSAT, crime question marks, perhaps not enough internships/running my own business/saving small village...

Haven't heard from Hastings. Also, amazingly, on UVA and GULC waitlists! Weird.

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:30 am

brose002 wrote:WL today. ... the letter says Fall 2009 though. Oh well.
Holy shit. They're still working on LAST YEAR'S apps!!! Fuckin' Davis.

Sorry, brose.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:39 am

ozarkhack wrote:

Sorry, brose.
ha ha. yeah, I got that "UNOFFICIAL" 2009 waitlist PDF. Slack, Davis. I should walk across the Davis undergrad campus where I go to school, and tell 'em what's up. Any nasty messages I should pass on?

Oh hey, missinglink, I said I am a perm. resident. I'm not a URM, if that helps you compare our situations.

brose002

Bronze

Post by brose002 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:40 am

ozarkhack wrote:

Sorry, brose.
It's all good. I was going to send in my deposit to UMN anyway. I just thought it was hilarious the Davis took 5 months with my app, and they couldn't even figure out what year it was.

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:47 am

I guess my hope of an outright acceptance is a little bit naive. The LSN grapth shows a sea of yellow around my numbers, with no green in sight. This has been an absolutely brutal cycle for Davis, but I'm sure that many people will get in off the WL if they are willing to stick it out. I guess my deposit will be going to UNLV on April 1.

jahallc

New

Post by jahallc » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:48 am

brose002 wrote:
ozarkhack wrote:

Sorry, brose.
It's all good. I was going to send in my deposit to UMN anyway. I just thought it was hilarious the Davis took 5 months with my app, and they couldn't even figure out what year it was.
Yeah, they've been using all of the letters from last year for some reason. I guess they've been too busy with the applications to update the PDF files. Also, there's a misspelling in last year's acceptance letter, so they must've been too busy reviewing applications to spot the error then, too. Oh, Davis.

At any rate, sorry to hear about all of the waitlists =/. UMN has a great program, though!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:05 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
missinglink wrote:That's a bit surprising, and it has me worried, since were're pretty much number twins.

You already in Hastings?

Softs are average: school newspaper, DC internship, merit schollies, etc... Wrote a risky but (if I can say) powerful PS about drug arrest in 2003 + DHS trying to deport me 3 years later because of it. Great story, well written, and it truly got me where I am today. But, who knows how adcomms react. LORs were good, but not earth-shattering ( I guess... never read 'em) I am 37 also.

Surprising b/c I'm a permanent resident and the internship in DC was with ABA Immigration Division, and I mentioned all of this in the PS, specifically singling out Davis's great imm. law clinic.
So, threshold LSAT, crime question marks, perhaps not enough internships/running my own business/saving small village...

Very surprised WL with those numbers and stats. Must of not liked your PS, which is interesting.

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:15 pm

WL today. 163/3.82. Complete: 01/14.

I did not feel entitled to be accepted here. But, I was surprised by this. Has this been normal this cycle? Does the huge boost in applications have anything to do with it?

Wow I am sorry man. 163/3.82 I would expect auto-admit...crazy cycle.

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:26 pm

Inygma wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

You already in Hastings?

Very surprised WL with those numbers and stats. Must of not liked your PS, which is interesting.
yeah, thanks for the commiserations... i dunno... I mean, if I had a choice, I probably would have chosen Hastings or Fordham over UCD, or even William & Mary (haven't heard from any of them yet). But this was a surprise. Who knows what prompted it. It was a Jan. 12th application, but they say they choose them randomly. Davis is big on diversity, so that could have been it. Meanwhile GULC and UVA have me on their WLs, presumably b/c there's something of value inside my app., enough to overlook the LSAT. Don't know what that's all about. :?

2013esq

Bronze

Post by 2013esq » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:22 pm

Waitlisted at Davis yesterday. Applied 11/16. Complete 12/2.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

amb123

New

Post by amb123 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:36 pm

I got w/led with a 165/3.61. I thought I was a lock... apparently not. At least I still have my lowest choice of Hastings.

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:50 pm

amb123 wrote:I got w/led with a 165/3.61. I thought I was a lock... apparently not. At least I still have my lowest choice of Hastings.
Remember: 21% ( I think) boost in applications this year. I don't think that's proof that Davis is better than Hastings (although I'm not saying it isn't either... this debate is well-traveled). But I think Davis believes it's proof, and I think they may really be pushing up their 25th and median this year. Time will tell.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:56 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
amb123 wrote:I got w/led with a 165/3.61. I thought I was a lock... apparently not. At least I still have my lowest choice of Hastings.
Remember: 21% ( I think) boost in applications this year. I don't think that's proof that Davis is better than Hastings (although I'm not saying it isn't either... this debate is well-traveled). But I think Davis believes it's proof, and I think they may really be pushing up their 25th and median this year. Time will tell.
I predict they will go deep into their WL this year for that reason. I think they'd rather undercut their regularly admitted class size and admit via WL than end up making a mistake and over enrolling by a 100 or so students. Having a class size around 180-200 leaves very little room for error.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calgal17

Bronze

Post by calgal17 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:59 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
Remember that Davis likes to keep their class sizes smaller too. On the acceptance letter it says that 18 people apply for every seat.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:59 pm

Borhas wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
I predict they will go deep into their WL this year for that reason. I think they'd rather undercut their regularly admitted class size and admit via WL than end up making a mistake and over enrolling by a 100 or so students. Having a class size around 180-200 leaves very little room for error.
Am I right in thinking that we WLers have to wait until no earlier than late-June for any WL admissions, as the letter said? And if so, why do they not start making WL decisions in April/May like so many other schools do?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:05 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
Borhas wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
Am I right in thinking that we WLers have to wait until no earlier than late-June for any WL admissions, as the letter said? And if so, why do they not start making WL decisions in April/May like so many other schools do?
Probably, seems like Davis makes decisions approximately 1.5 months after every other school
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:10 pm

Damn, I really hope they give me a chance. I have decent softs and made it abundantly clear that Davis was my first choice, so I haven't totally given up on an acceptance just yet. At least I have some other decent offers to fall back on if Dvais doesn't come through for me. If they WL me, I won't be sure whether to ride out the WL or just give up. I really don't want my cycle extending into the summer. I really need some closure here, so that I can mentally prepare for the move/beginning of school without obsessing about this process.

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:14 pm

yo! wrote:Damn, I really hope they give me a chance. I have decent softs and made it abundantly clear that Davis was my first choice, so I haven't totally given up on an acceptance just yet. At least I have some other decent offers to fall back on if Dvais doesn't come through for me. If they WL me, I won't be sure whether to ride out the WL or just give up. I really don't want my cycle extending into the summer. I really need some closure here, so that I can mentally prepare for the move/beginning of school without obsessing about this process.
I completely agree on the closure part. Davis was not my first choice and I don't even expect to get in and my app has been awaiting evaluation forever it seems, but I just want my rejection letter. After seeing all of the WLs with better stats, no doubt I'm an auto-reject anyways. It would be nice to hear something from them though.

I really hope you get in. I'm crossing my fingers for you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:59 pm

How many of you guys besides Yo! have Davis/Hastings as a first pick?

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:13 pm

This whole thing is a trip. I got into U Arizona (which IMO is comparable to Davis) within 2 days of going complete and I got $$$. LSP had my chances at Arizona as slimmer than Davis, so I was sort of expecting to stay off the WL at Davis. It really seems that Davis is trying to push their medians this year. :(

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:21 pm

Matteliszt wrote:How many of you guys besides Yo! have Davis/Hastings as a first pick?
Hastings and Davis were 2 and 3 after UCB but now that UCB has rejected me I guess they moved up to 1 and 2.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:29 pm

Matteliszt wrote:How many of you guys besides Yo! have Davis/Hastings as a first pick?
+1. Hope one of them come through.

WLed with a 165/3.61 is irregular, even this cycle. There must have been something in your package that gave them pause.

amb123: Davis a top choice for you?

Hastings isn't all that bad, though.

If you stick it out on the WL, I'd imagine you must be have a pretty good shot at getting off it. Davis admits a relatively small class, and like Borhas said, they don't have much room for error.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”