For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
charlesjd

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby charlesjd » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:32 pm

sandiecohen47 wrote:Any idea when (or if) they will dip below the 166 LSAT wall and accept other applicants? Am I living a pipe dream? (165/3.98, not URM, 2.5 years WE)

You are auto admit on LSP.

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:34 pm

charlesjd wrote:
sandiecohen47 wrote:Any idea when (or if) they will dip below the 166 LSAT wall and accept other applicants? Am I living a pipe dream? (165/3.98, not URM, 2.5 years WE)

You are auto admit on LSP.

Yeah, I saw that on LSP... but this cycle is making me nervous. Especially with so many exceptionally high LSAT splitters. I'll just be patient and take a chill pill. Congrats to everyone who has received good news!

dnesto01

Postby dnesto01 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:43 pm

Does anyone know when we will hear about the scholars in law scholarships?

crombot

Postby crombot » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:14 pm

Neil wrote:
Neil wrote:
mchrop10 wrote:So my status checker updated yesterday to say Application Complete 1/12

It previously said Application Complete 11/20

Anyone else have something like this?

Mine changed today to Application Complete 1/13. Interesting...

This was me previously...

IN today via e-mail at 5:09 PM ET! No mention of scholars in law consideration, which I am kind of bummed about because I really like WUSTL but it would be significantly more expensive for me at sticker than the U of MN.

Status checker updated to complete 1/25, FWIW...

I thought that the scholars in law was a standard part of the e-mail. Hmm. I'm not sure what to do given that scholarship info doesn't come out until March, and admitted students day is March 20-something. I don't want to waste a trip to St. Louis if I won't get any $ from them since I have such a great offer at Illinois. Crap crap crap.

dnesto01

Postby dnesto01 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:17 pm

Yea, I am having the same issue with money from BU. Does anyone know if Wash U. will reimburse flight and hotel for admitted students who come for the ASD?

Xiaolong

Postby Xiaolong » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:22 pm

dnesto01 wrote:Yea, I am having the same issue with money from BU. Does anyone know if Wash U. will reimburse flight and hotel for admitted students who come for the ASD?

Sometimes they offer to reimburse up to 200$, but they don't offer it to every admitted student. The email you get about ASD should cotain this information.

LifeinKodachrome

Postby LifeinKodachrome » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:27 pm

Submitted 11/06. Admitted today. This is my first acceptance (and I've been wait-listed at lower ranked schools), so at least I'm breathing again.

I think they reimburse up to $200 if you are being considered for "Scholar in Law". Though I don't know what the rest of "Scholar in Law" consists of. Are these all of their scholarships, or just one type of them?

Best of luck to those who haven't heard yet!

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:35 pm

crombot wrote:
I thought that the scholars in law was a standard part of the e-mail. Hmm. I'm not sure what to do given that scholarship info doesn't come out until March, and admitted students day is March 20-something. I don't want to waste a trip to St. Louis if I won't get any $ from them since I have such a great offer at Illinois. Crap crap crap.

Same here, well, minus the UIUC part since I haven't heard from them yet. I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and visit, though, since the school piques my interest.

And yeah, the offer to reimburse is in one of the e-mails you get from them. Mine was an e-mail with the subject, "Washington University Law Admitted Students Bulletin Board," and said:

Finally, based on your outstanding academic credentials, I am pleased to be able to offer you a travel stipend to use toward visiting the law school. When you visit the school between now and April 1, 2010, we will reimburse your expenses for transportation and/or lodging, up to $200, if you are traveling from more than 100 miles to St. Louis. (When you make your visit you will be given a form to complete to submit with your receipts.)
Last edited by MBZags on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tar2009

Postby tar2009 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:38 pm

hey there. does anyone here know what the "Scholars in Law Award" covers?

Neil

Postby Neil » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:39 pm

LifeinKodachrome wrote:Submitted 11/06. Admitted today. This is my first acceptance (and I've been wait-listed at lower ranked schools), so at least I'm breathing again.

I think they reimburse up to $200 if you are being considered for "Scholar in Law". Though I don't know what the rest of "Scholar in Law" consists of. Are these all of their scholarships, or just one type of them?

I think the travel reimbursement might be a function of distance to Wash U rather than the Scholar in Law consideration, if it isn't available to everyone. I did not get a note about being considered for the Scholar in Law, but was offered travel reimbursement up to $200 in the Bulletin Board e-mail. Maybe they'll let me trade one for the other? :lol:

Neil

Postby Neil » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:46 pm

crombot wrote:
Neil wrote:
Neil wrote:
mchrop10 wrote:So my status checker updated yesterday to say Application Complete 1/12

It previously said Application Complete 11/20

Anyone else have something like this?

Mine changed today to Application Complete 1/13. Interesting...

This was me previously...

IN today via e-mail at 5:09 PM ET! No mention of scholars in law consideration, which I am kind of bummed about because I really like WUSTL but it would be significantly more expensive for me at sticker than the U of MN.

Status checker updated to complete 1/25, FWIW...

Sadly, not the case. I read someone on here say at one point that you need a 167+ and 3.0+ for the Scholar in Law, but I'm not sure if that's accurate. I was hoping it wasn't. I really don't know how to feel about this. I'm psyched to get into Wash U, but I also don't think I can reasonably consider it when it would cost about $26,000 more per year than Minnesota. I will have to see whether they are willing to negotiate scholarships based on peer schools yada yada...

By the way, Crombot: Congrats! And congrats to all the other new admits!

LifeinKodachrome

Postby LifeinKodachrome » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:00 pm

Neil wrote:I think the travel reimbursement might be a function of distance to Wash U rather than the Scholar in Law consideration, if it isn't available to everyone. I did not get a note about being considered for the Scholar in Law, but was offered travel reimbursement up to $200 in the Bulletin Board e-mail. Maybe they'll let me trade one for the other? :lol:

Hilarious. Yeah, it did say I was eligible 'if I was coming from >100 miles' away. Maybe they'll consider you for a "Savant of Law" scholarship?

crombot

Postby crombot » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:02 pm

Neil wrote:
Sadly, not the case. I read someone on here say at one point that you need a 167+ and 3.0+ for the Scholar in Law, but I'm not sure if that's accurate. I was hoping it wasn't. I really don't know how to feel about this. I'm psyched to get into Wash U, but I also don't think I can reasonably consider it when it would cost about $26,000 more per year than Minnesota. I will have to see whether they are willing to negotiate scholarships based on peer schools yada yada...

Thanks! Yeah, I wonder how they are about scholarship negotiations based on peer schools as well....hmmm we need some 1Ls to give us answers!

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:06 pm

Neil wrote:
LifeinKodachrome wrote:Submitted 11/06. Admitted today. This is my first acceptance (and I've been wait-listed at lower ranked schools), so at least I'm breathing again.

I think the travel reimbursement might be a function of distance to Wash U rather than the Scholar in Law consideration, if it isn't available to everyone. I did not get a note about being considered for the Scholar in Law, but was offered travel reimbursement up to $200 in the Bulletin Board e-mail. Maybe they'll let me trade one for the other? :lol:

I don't know if it's either...my email said that I'm being considered for the scholar in law thing, but there wasn't any mention of reimbursement in any of the emails even though I live in California. Should I ask about it? I'm sad now.

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:08 pm

forty-two wrote:
Neil wrote:

I don't know if it's either...my email said that I'm being considered for the scholar in law thing, but there wasn't any mention of reimbursement in any of the emails even though I live in California. Should I ask about it? I'm sad now.

The e-mail with the blurb about the reimbursement is separate from the admissions e-mail. Have you gotten the Bulletin Board e-mail yet?

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:10 pm

ec2xs wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:
luckyjd wrote:so many acceptances. when will it be my turn? c'mon washu--some movement please.
p.s. congrats to everyone who got in today! :D

+1 Complete 12/14, no update. Email please?

12/17 here, so you're not alone. Hopefully we find out soon.

Complete 11/23... updated (still at complete) 12/21.

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:11 pm

I'm getting kinda worried. 167 LSAT, 3.3 GPA, app received 11/12. My complete date is updated to 12/21. Seems like others that submitted their stuff as early as I did already heard back. I had something I had to disclose, and I previously wasn't that concerned about it, but now that others with my numbers who applied around when I did are receiving acceptances, I don't know what to think.

Lawrence

Postby Lawrence » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:16 pm

crombot wrote:
Neil wrote:

Thanks! Yeah, I wonder how they are about scholarship negotiations based on peer schools as well....hmmm we need some 1Ls to give us answers!

If you dig up some of the old posts from last year a lot of people discussed their scholarship negotiations. From my experience they seem willing to negotiate based on other schools offers, but may not match completely. Also, they sent out some scholarship increases later in the process without any prompting. My advice would be for anyone who really wants to go to WUSTL would be to just wait, inform the school of your other offers, and hold out as long as you can to see if they are gonna be able to do anything for you, because your "final offer" may not come for a while.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:22 pm

MBZags wrote:
forty-two wrote:
Neil wrote:

The e-mail with the blurb about the reimbursement is separate from the admissions e-mail. Have you gotten the Bulletin Board e-mail yet?

Yep, and it didn't mention anything.

crombot

Postby crombot » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:30 pm

Lawrence wrote:
crombot wrote:
Neil wrote:

If you dig up some of the old posts from last year a lot of people discussed their scholarship negotiations. From my experience they seem willing to negotiate based on other schools offers, but may not match completely. Also, they sent out some scholarship increases later in the process without any prompting. My advice would be for anyone who really wants to go to WUSTL would be to just wait, inform the school of your other offers, and hold out as long as you can to see if they are gonna be able to do anything for you, because your "final offer" may not come for a while.

Ugh, that really sucks. Maybe this means I put down 2 seat deposits...it is so much easier when schools give scholarship offers with their acceptances, especially considering seat deposit deadlines will come up quickly.

Lawrence

Postby Lawrence » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:35 pm

crombot wrote:
Lawrence wrote:
crombot wrote:
Neil wrote:

Ugh, that really sucks. Maybe this means I put down 2 seat deposits...it is so much easier when schools give scholarship offers with their acceptances, especially considering seat deposit deadlines will come up quickly.

If you really want an earlier answer I would just talk to them and be honest about your situation. I knew WUSTL was definitely my #1 choice so my strategy was just what I felt was the best way to "play the game" to get as much scholarship money from them as possible. When I sent them a peer schools offer, I did get a scholarship increase back. If you had to make a decision you could go by that, but my point was just that it isn't out of the question based on last year that more money could pop up later after that.

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:39 pm

I submitted my application to WashU on Nov 12, have competitive numbers, but haven't received a decision. Should I give WashU a call tomorrow?

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:55 pm

whuts4lunch wrote:I submitted my application to WashU on Nov 12, have competitive numbers, but haven't received a decision. Should I give WashU a call tomorrow?

if you have a 167 or higher and a 3.x, you have nothing to worry about. just be patient.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:36 am

was there an admitted students day this past weekend? and is so did anyone go?

crombot

Postby crombot » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:02 am

najumobi wrote:was there an admitted students day this past weekend? and is so did anyone go?

There is one this week--Jan 29th I believe.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”